FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety
Marco

MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for $280.00.

Mike, NW Sydney

Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1

russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted

Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
McMatty523

McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Long term view of FS55

I've had my Stihl for probably 15 or more years. I dont use it very often but it works hard when I do. I bought most of the attachments that you can get for the straight shaft model, including metal blades for hacking through tough undergrowth. You cant get that from a cheapie from Bunnings. However.......... it is an expensive machine. Very very very. For private use, it's hardly justifiable. It has been fairly reliable. In fact, the carby appears to have got stuffed up after a long period of non-use. Replacement carbys on ebay cost $25 so it's no big deal. You decision should depend on how rich you are.

Raeles03

Raeles03Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Strong Machine

Recently purchased above model, pretty happy with the performance, not easy to start though,not bad on fuel, once started will go all day, took that stupid bar on the handle off as it keeps on hitting your thigh, also, this model you can put on a manual line feed, which saves wasting your line and gets rid of the worst invention of all time the idiotic bump feed, no more wack wack on the ground every time you need more line, just pull out twist and turn, pull ends and you have the right amount of line.

Stihl great after 4 summers.

Starts every time, feeds string really well and has plenty of power. I have 2 acres. About 20 trees and some bushes. And a large dog cage. It works great every time. And the string will last me halfway through the summer. Putting a new string on isn't too bad either. It's not too heavy especially with the strap that comes with it. FS 55R. STIHL.

bmorey

bmoreyVic, 3140

Workhorse

Martin

Martinyogimoose@aol.com

indestructable and enough power

I have had this FS55 for 10 years and have used it nearly every day for half that time and have found it to be ultra reliable and drama free for all of that time. I thought I would replace the spark plug after 10 years, but saw no improvement with a new plug. This thing just goes and goes. I have a maintenance business and have cleared numerous half acre blocks of tea tree and eucalypt sprouts etc with absolute ease. I do keep my equipment well serviced but this Stihl virtually works out to be free once you have done as much work as I have with this unit. Can't recommend enough.......it's the best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Considering it's small size it is a super star.

41.2South

41.2SouthTAS, 7275

Blackberry Smasher!

FS55C with handle bars and Stihl blade. Turns nasty blackberries into mulch with ease. Have never bothered with the line trimmer as the blade trims grass right up to my rabbit wire fence. Cuts thru small melaleuca stems with a couple of swiped. Ferns are doomed.
Love it!
Starts without issue. Wore out my last Poulan's clutch and the Stihl uses a different method.
Great service from the local dealer at Exeter, TAS.
reliable
choke lever plastic broke easily - local centre fixed it cheaply

excellent unit. very solid

Tossing up between a couple of manufacturers and decided to try Stihl. So far extremely happy. Starts after a couple of super easy pulls and the self feeding head is excellent and worked flawlessly. Did my whole front and back yard without stopping once and still have heaps of line left (in fact I don't think it fed any out at all, the Stihl line is very strong).

This brush cutter is excellent and everything works as it should with a real quality feel. Assuming good life from it I am going to Stihl for all my power tools!

Also comes with adapters for running blades. Can't wait for my grass to grow back now!
super easy to start. self feeding head is brilliant. quality feel of all components
Not enough grass left to cut

Peter Mc

Peter McAU

What I Expected

First trial today, found the trimmer easy to use, a fraction heavy on fuel but I think the fuel tank may be a smaller capacity to what my previous trimmer was.Coped with heavy going through thick growth. Seems good for first time owner of a Stihl. :) Agents service was a great experience, very helpful and friendly.
Light, easy to use, plenty of grunt for what I am looking for. (Maintain 1 acre - 4,000sq metres.
Nothing yet, just purchased today. You pay for what you get.

james1234567890

james1234567890AU

Not too bad, not worth the price...probably better with a 4-stroke

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked

FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

David M.asked

FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Carburettor assembly

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE