FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

• Product is used
  • Safety

Stihl is no longer the quality it used to be.

My FS 55 has been a pig from the get-go. It's hard to start, it cuts out, takes forever to warm up, it vibrates and the bump-stop is pathetic. I tried to take it back (under warranty) and they would only do so if I paid for the $88 service fee. I've used it about 5 to 10 times and I'm now moving on to a different brand as I can't be bothered and I may as well put the $88 towards a decent line trimmer.

Purchased in February 2018 at Stihl Dealer for $400.00.

Marco
MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for $280.00.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

johnno
johnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

I like Stihl, but this is a dud.

I have a Stihl chainsaw which is indestructible, the whipper snipper on the other hand has been dreadful. Always hard to start, i clean or replace the carbie to no avail and it now needs a new carburetor after about 20 hours of use.

Purchased in February 2017 for $370.00.

Very difficult to start

This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.

Purchased in May 2016 for $350.00.

Mike, NW Sydney
Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1
russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted
Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

McMatty523
McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Georgie93
Georgie93AU

A good reason never to purchase Stihl products again.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a lemon. We had to take it back to the dealer as soon as we got it home, and they were less than sympathetic. It is impossible for me to start, and I have good upper body strength. My husband can only start it sometimes. And when it does start, it vibrates so much my hands are numb for an hour afterwards. Yes, we bought this product when it was placed on special, but surely it is reasonable to expect a basic level of product competence. If Stilh knew just how bad their product was, and I'm thinking that's why they put it on special, then it's pretty unethical of them to continue selling it to unaware customers. I note it's now discontinued. Wondering if any reviewers have heard back from Stihl?

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Don’t buy this what ever you do!!

I have had nothing but problems with this machine, it’s hard to start, line feeder is terrible.
Vibrates like hell (even though I’ve had it serviced by a Stihl dealer) stay clear of this product !! I paid $475 in 2016 thinking I’m buying a premium product, then in 2017 Stihl dropped the price to $370 !!! Why ??? Take a guess ?? I will never buy a Stihl product again....

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Don’t waste your money!

Avoid this machine! It is dreadful, truely dreadful. After owning it for 1 day I am taking it back mainly due to:
- being extremely difficult to start and when it does start it may just cut out as soon as you touch the throttle
- cuts out at random intervals and then will not start again
- feeder head chews through cord excessively

Ultimately I bought this as my first stihl producers and the product is unusable which is disappointing. I would never buy a stihl product again due to this experience.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Doug Coleman
Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked
FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

David M.asked
FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Carburettor assembly

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE