FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

• Safety
Marco
MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

Bobb09
Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Cannot get consistent performance out of this machine.

Purchased machine just over 12 months ago after using a Kawasaki-powered Spear & Jackson for 35 trouble-free years. I find this machine noisy, vibration prone and engine speed is inconsistent and hard to regulate. I had it serviced once, after telling the vendor my problem, they suggested my fuel was too old/too dirty etc. - I have been running 2-strokes for 55 years! I find I need to limit my brush-cutting to under 40 min. these symptoms become worse thereafter and the machine is virtually unusable.

Purchased in December 2019 at Marriots for $379.00.

JackoSouthern and Hills, SA

my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $378.00.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for $280.00.

Mike, NW Sydney
Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1
russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted
Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
McMatty523
McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Maurice
Maurice

Most problematic machine i've encountered

Date PurchasedApr 2013
acerace
aceraceQld, 4521

Starting it. good luck

Have had the Stihl FS 55C for a year and a bit.The bump and run function is crap
Do not use the Stihl cutting Line (supplied). buy "JM pro diamond core" you will be stunned how good it is.Just need to trim the end that fits spool!! it outlasts the standard line 10+ times
The thing works great if you can start it .

Date PurchasedSept 2016
Doug Coleman
Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Please think twice before you buy.

Very hard to start. If you use weekend to weekend, then it will take 30 or so minutes of back breaking effort to start. I do not recommend this product. It may be good for professionals but not for household use. Do not listen to sales people and others as after two three years, there won't be any service.

Date PurchasedMar 2012

Long term view of FS55

I've had my Stihl for probably 15 or more years. I dont use it very often but it works hard when I do. I bought most of the attachments that you can get for the straight shaft model, including metal blades for hacking through tough undergrowth. You cant get that from a cheapie from Bunnings. However.......... it is an expensive machine. Very very very. For private use, it's hardly justifiable. It has been fairly reliable. In fact, the carby appears to have got stuffed up after a long period of non-use. Replacement carbys on ebay cost $25 so it's no big deal. You decision should depend on how rich you are.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked
FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

David M.asked
FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Carburettor assembly

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE