FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

• Safety
Marco
MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

Can’t see what people are complaining about. This works beautifully.

Purchased at Stihl Dealer.

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for $280.00.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Mike, NW Sydney
Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Johnno
JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great machines!

I'm not sure why so many negatives about this snipper. I am a commercial operator and I give these machines an absolute caning, with little or no servicing and I have two of these. Cuts well, I use only still 2.4mm line without any issues. Do take a little bit to start sometimes, harder if have been heated by use often, but nothing major. Does struggled well with initial throttling after starting, but keeps going after persistence. Auto line feed is a godsend for me as a commercial operator and it works well most of time, besides when it gets a little tangled. Never want to go back to the dreaded bump feed heads....paid $350.00 each for my two fs55's and worth every cent for the money they've earnt me in my business....

Purchased in March 2018 for $350.00.

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1
russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted
Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
McMatty523
McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

S.B.
S.B.Broussard

Good product

This thing works great I don’t see where all the bad reviews come from maybe it’s operator error yea sometimes it needs maintenance but all in all it’s a great trimmer I’ve had to clean out the muffler once dues tomit clogging up cleaned the carb once due to it gumming up that was my fault I really like the easy start feature barely have to pull the rope

Date PurchasedJan 2010

A good hard machine

If you replace the auto line head properly it lasts for ages, and that’s using the same stihl string it came with. No parts necessary, just fuel and oil.
It is hard to start till you work out how. (Heads up, turn it on, set the throttle with the lock, make sure you have choke on. Pump the primer 3-5 times. “Look for fuel in the bulb”, then crank it till it first fires, turn off choke, then a couple more cranks it will spit into action. Mine never fails after I worked out what it wanted to start.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Doug Coleman
Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

If it works for me, it will work for anyone

I am a bad gardener. I thrash all my tools until they fall apart. This is still going well after years of heavy use and no maintenance. This is the first petrol trimmer I have owned. Even in a Canberra winter, it starts OK. Recommended for small to medium gardens.

Date PurchasedSept 2014

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Long term view of FS55

I've had my Stihl for probably 15 or more years. I dont use it very often but it works hard when I do. I bought most of the attachments that you can get for the straight shaft model, including metal blades for hacking through tough undergrowth. You cant get that from a cheapie from Bunnings. However.......... it is an expensive machine. Very very very. For private use, it's hardly justifiable. It has been fairly reliable. In fact, the carby appears to have got stuffed up after a long period of non-use. Replacement carbys on ebay cost $25 so it's no big deal. You decision should depend on how rich you are.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE reviews

Carol sasked
FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko
Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

David M.asked
FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Carburettor assembly

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE