4.9

A06

A06Armidale

Great trimmer for large block

I replaced a small Hitachi 2-stroke trimmer with this Stihl one after I threw the Hitachi one into the paddock in frustration. It was a horribly underpowered machine attached to a very complicated head and line system. Happy to say the Stihl FS 85 R is neither.

Plenty of power and a simple auto-dispensing line system. Get yourself some decent trimmer line and this will go all day. I use it to tidy up around garden beds and grass borders in our 1 acre garden, very happy with it.

Bought the R model with the loop handle as I wanted to be able to turn it over for edging rather than just brush-cutting with the bike handle model.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
    aumegm

aumegmAdelaide, South Australia

Stihl FS 85 R

Have used the FS 85 R in a commercial setting with no issues. If you use the correct fuel ratio, then you shouldn't have any issues. I recommend buying a Sure Tap 2 head and using it in place of the Stihl Auto Cut head that comes with the unit. It is easier to load, gives you more time between reloading and wastes less line trimmer cable.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
    The Mugicas

The MugicasNorth Queensland, QLD

More trustworthy than my cattle dog

Big names have turned me off lately but after owning my Stihl FS/85 it has changed my faith. It has never stopped and always ready to go. 2 years ago bought an opponents brand and with in days regretted it and just bought cheap throw away brands but was told to and buy sthil. Faith restored and never let me down. Always ready.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
    Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 85 R compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

RJK

RJKMelbourne

Brilliant, tough, reliable and easy to use

Fantastic - use it regularly on our acre block. Easy so start, easy to use and very effective. I also have Stihl branded Blower and Chain saw and find both these items also to be excellent. I see negative reviews and cant understand what the difference can be. My local Stihl dealer is also very knowledgeable and friendly. I highly recommend this product.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
    DBB

DBB

Very good

Had for 3 weeks. 7 hrs straight hard work cutting down 6ft tall Johnson grass with 2.7mm Stihl round line. Trimmer is powerful and good compromise between weigh and power. Used on 6 lawns to edge and blend grass with 2.4mm round cord and it loves it. This was an upgrade from my FS45 and am very happy.

I have always mixed fuel oil ratio at 43:1 just to keep cooler than 50:1 and keep her lubed up nicely. Honestly, maybe the people with negative reviews got lemons? Stihl is good stuff in my experience with 2 whipper snippers and 2 chain saws, I’ve had zero problems.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
    RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Great addition to the Arsenal

The power in this machine is undoubtedly more than i had expected. From owning a little bent shaft makita to this thing WOW!! It's halved the time on a couple of jobs iv done i recommend this to anyone in the lawn care biz or anyone with a bit of land and long grass to clear. This will not disapoint

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
    Kevin.E

Kevin.EMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Just bought another one!

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
    Chris

Chrissydney

Great machine.

Just bought an 85R to replace the Victa Tornado that I used three times and returned to Bunnings.
    The Stihl is light, powerful, easy to use/start and the auto feed line head is easy to load and economical on line consumption.
    A very very impressive unit that makes edging and rough clearing a breeze.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
    Nick

NickVictoria, 3691

Love it!

This thing could cut down a tree! It starts so easily, packs a punch and is worth every cent. It's the most money I have ever spent on something like this but I am so glad I did. I got the optional blade attachment and it's pretty good too. I have a lot of woody weeds and it blasts through them.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 85 R compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Bretto

BrettoSydney

Have been using this for years, it's still running and never had an issue, even me wife can use it no worries. Its never faulted on us and its cutting abilities are schmick! The yard looks a million bucks after I mow and wiper snipper. I did have one instance where it cut out on me and I had to replace a part but for 12 years running I think it's great. It's still going strong! I would recommend to everyone!

Garrys

GarrysGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great brushcutter

I cant understand these negative reviews - I 've had mine for around 8 years now. I'm not a contractor - just a landowner so it doesn't get a thrashing but it does cut a lot of thick grass for up to a couple of hours at a time. Never had a problem with it - never had it serviced for that matter. She runs perfectly and the line refill is fine - a bit fiddly but nothing much once you get the hang of it.