Simple to function and maintain
Durable and quick charging battery
High power output
Motor vulnerable to moisture
Good, but a few drawbacks
I have gone all battery (all Stihl) for my suburban yard. Mower, blower, hedger, and trimmer. The the other three are fantastic, but the trimmer is my least favorite. It does of course have all of the wonderful advantages of battery tools (no noise, fuel, fumes and easy on/off) and it has heaps of power. My problems are two fold. Firstly, the safety guard is too big and too integrated. I am sure that is wonderful for safety but it does make it awkward to use in tricky places. Secondly, the spool has too big a central 'boss' which means the angl...e of attack is too high, again making it difficult to do a neat job in tricky places. My experience is that trimmers are very idiosyncratic things always take some getting used to, and I have learned to live with the problems with this one, but they still annoy me. However, I am now a happy member of the Stihl battery ecosystem, so I will live with my trimmer.
Purchased in March 2017.
Lightweight, powerful, long battery life
This trimmer is lightweight for this over 50 woman and it has two lines of trimming power that really take care of the weeds. The battery lasts a long time but I have two batteries since I also use it for my Stihl lawnmower. It was difficult to get the battery released but since I pulled out the prongs at the back a little and used vaseline on the sides it has been much easier. I also had difficulty refilling the spool with trimmer line but now I clean out the spool and make sure that I insert the twine until it is engaged in the spool. This is much better than dragging a heavy cord around my yard or carrying a heavy gas powered trimmer.
Questions & Answers
Seems that it is an issue with wet grass so that’s a worry..just bought the blower so was tempted to get whipper snipper
The whipper snipper works very well but blow it clean with air and a dry cloth . A squirt of Stihl’s cleaner or the Briggs and Stratton lanolin lubricant should keep the head from becoming damaged with rusted bearings or electrical issues. Stihl have not given me any response re my problems but I have changed dealers and they certainly are more diligent. John’s mowers in Ballina by the way .
Love the whipper sniper, my biggest problem was the dealer's inability to give a s#+& about my concerns. Best friends when selling it to me but treated me like a moron when my concerns were raised.
Get an answer from our members
- Both the Stihl FSA 65 and the FSA 85 have a loop handle, making gardening a comfortable experience.
- They both have a straight shaft, letting you easily go about your work without needing to stoop over - saving your back from any stress.
- These whipper snippers take a lithium-ion battery, giving them more power and a longer run time.
- Vibration damping is featured in both models, making them relatively quiet considering their power output.
- The FSA 65 has a cutting width of 300mm, while the FSA 85 has a cutting width of 250mm.
- The 65 and the 85 weigh 2.7kg and 2.8kg respectively, which helps take the fitness out of gardening.
- Ranging between 91-94 decibels, both models have a noise level comparable to a jazz concert.
Points of praise:
- Reviewers said that both models were easy to use and maintain.
- They also noted that the battery lasted long and charged very quickly.
- Most reviewers appreciated how easy the whipper snipper was on their ears.
- They also liked how much power the machine had, saying that the high power output helped them get through a variety of gardening jobs.
- According to some reviewers, the motor is very vulnerable to water - some gardeners had difficulty getting their whipper snippers to work after using them on wet grass.
|Category||Battery Whipper Snippers||Battery Whipper Snippers|
|Handle Type||Loop Handle||Loop Handle|
|Power Source||Battery (Built-In)||Battery (Built-In)|
|Engine Type||Lithium-Ion Battery||Lithium-Ion Battery|
|Cutting Head Type||Line||Line|
|Features||Vibration Damping||Vibration Damping|
|Cutting Width||300 mm||350 mm|
|Weight||2.7 kg||2.8 kg|
|Noise Level||91 dB||94 dB|
|Manufacturer Warranty||2 year(s)||2 year(s)|
|Release date||Mar 2012||Mar 2012|
Other Battery Whipper Snippers
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.