• Safety

DogmanSydney, NSW

Didn't last very long - 14 months

. From the instructions - It was very hard to start. Had to watch a blogger on U-Tube explain
. Only used it a few times and at 14 months the motor seized up
. The dealer said "no 2 stroke oil in petrol mix". I don't believe this was the case. The gas (petrol) in the tank was the right mix of oil and petrol- we both could see that. Maybe only Stihl 2 stroke oil should be used.
. Not sure I'd buy another Stihl 170.

Purchased in April 2019 at GYC for $250.00.

Dogman

Please note -my review is NOT in any way to be a criticism of GYC - they are a very efficient and trustworthy dealer and I'll recommend them to anyone. My review is about my experience with my Stihl 170.

Not Happy

To hard to start. Followed all the instructions with the choke procedures and this thing still won't start. Had to make multiple trips to the dealer at ACE Hardware. When you can get it running, it does a decent job. Lost to much time with this saw running back to the dealer.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
LCL999

LCL999Sydney, NSW

Very hard to start. Instructions incomplete.

Reading all the other reviews it seems that frequent users think it is great. Others, like me, have great difficulty getting it to start. I follow the instructions as best I can. Also there is a lever beside the word STOP just above the four position master control lever and two images of a padlock; one open, one closed. There is no mention of this lever in the manual. Do I move the lever towards the open padlock symbol to unlock it, or do I move the lever to reveal the open padlock symbol?

My previous chainsaw was electric. I forget the brand but it worked really well for many years. I got talked out of getting another electric one. Bad decision.

Petrol Chainsaws

Find out how Stihl MS 170 compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Garrett

Garrettasked

MS 170

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?

StihlSaws
StihlSaws

Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211.
Bar part number: 30050004813
Chain part number: 63PM55E

Robert G.

Your running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

Sean K
Sean K

Sure can though dealers are instructed to tell you it can’t be done.
Some say it will void the warranty but if you spend the extra on Stihl parts you can argue the case easily provided you don’t go overboard.
Contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen it’ll improve your saw a great deal though you’ll have to be mindful of bearing down on it, it’s just a baby after all, just take a little time & get used to its new & greatly improved character, you won’t be sorry.
See my review for details.

Rick

Rickasked

MS 170

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?

Aaron D
Aaron D

Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.

Woody
Woody

Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.

Robert G.

Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Akila T

Akila Tasked

MS 170

Can fix a big bar for ms 170?

Compare both Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss