Chris U

Chris USouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for home!

Very easy to start, even after extended storage. You can double the warranty to 4 years, at the cost of buying a $15 (1L) bottle of oil when first purchased. Can feel a little under powered at times,especially if you haven't sharpened the chain in a while. Otherwise a perfect saw for home use. Pays itself off after 1 year vs a $99 throwaway saw just in its ease of use and reliability.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
    Dave

DaveSouth East Queensland, QLD

Bought after reading reviews, owning a Stihl Blower Vac and still having a bad taste in my mouth fro

A great little chainsaw, unfortunately I found it a little under powered than what I expected for the job I used it for and the first time I used it, having said that I have only used it once and at this stage have no requirements to trim other trees. At the time of purchase I was given free chain

Date PurchasedJune 2018
    Colorbond

ColorbondSydney, NSW

Does okay processing firewood

I bought this chainsaw to process firewood for my fireplace. Only downside is that it can be a little hard to start. I mainly use it to cut gum branches and trunks. I probably should have gotten a model with a bigger motor but for the price, it’s good value.

Date PurchasedNov 2013
    Petrol Chainsaws

Find out how Stihl MS 170 compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

Mika

MikaPatterson Lakes

WOW, surprised by what it has done!

Date PurchasedMar 2013
    TJC

TJCMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Pros and cons

When I bought my MS170 from Mitre 10 it had a very light weight chain on it. The chain lasted me about a week then bought a new (same) chain which lasted about 2 days and could not be sharpened. I just ordered 3 new chains from Ebay and they are much heavier duty and bigger teeth on them. Just tested it on a log and its like a new chainsaw. The original chain on it from new was pathetic and the teeth were tiny. Much more satisfied now. Was going to sell the saw but happy with it now. Testing it out tomorrow on a full day of cutting down medium size trees so will see how it goes. It starts ok after a bit of choke but revs out pretty high which can take you a bit unaware if your not ready for it!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

jasonw1000Brisbane

Does what it says on the packet and does it well.

Over all this is a pretty good saw.

I flooded it first time but once I got the hang of the start up procedure there's been no problems since. Its done the job of cutting branches and small trees without too much difficulty. It sometimes struggles to tackle really hard wood but I'm going to replace the chain and have a feeling that will do the trick. I bought this saw one year ago and am still using the original chain.
    Cons: Lots of plastic and feels a little cheap in the hands. Leaks bar oil when stored but not enough for it to be an issue.

No regrets about buying this saw and would recommend it to others.

Date PurchasedSept 2015
    jasonw1000

A decent saw for a decent price,

woftam

woftam

Perfectly good for trees it was designed for.

I've been using this machine for about a month now and can say I'm happy with it's performance. If you read the manual carefully and not jump steps in the operating procedure it will work for you. Starts every time for me when warm or cold. The biggest piece of wood I've cut would be around 25cm in diameter which it went thru no worries. It's not a hard core chainsaw but it perfect enough for the home owner for trimming limbs or cutting firewood. I'm happy with it and would give it an 8 out of 10.

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Garrett

Garrettasked

MS 170

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?

StihlSaws
    StihlSaws

Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211.
    Bar part number: 30050004813
    Chain part number: 63PM55E

Robert G.

Your running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

Sean K
    Sean K

Sure can though dealers are instructed to tell you it can’t be done.
    Some say it will void the warranty but if you spend the extra on Stihl parts you can argue the case easily provided you don’t go overboard.
    Contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen it’ll improve your saw a great deal though you’ll have to be mindful of bearing down on it, it’s just a baby after all, just take a little time & get used to its new & greatly improved character, you won’t be sorry.
    See my review for details.

Rick

Rickasked

MS 170

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?

Aaron D
    Aaron D

Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.

Woody
    Woody

Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.

Robert G.

Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Akila T

Akila Tasked

MS 170

Can fix a big bar for ms 170?

Compare both Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss