• Safety

Sean KMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Solid piece of engineering you won’t regret passing over you hard earned cash for BUT!!

Purchased in November 2009 at Gumtreee .

Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Tree trimmer

We purchased this little beauty as it was cheaper than having our 30 year old one repaired after lending it to friend. (it did not take to well being run over by a tractor and slasher)
We use this model to trim back the smaller branches and trees up to about 250 mm in diameter depending on circumstances. It cut very clean and quickly so long as you keep the chain sharp. Light and easy to manage and use. Ideal if you have to be up in a tree to drop limbs. the only negative is that it appears to use more chain oil than the old model. All in all a great little a great little machine and great value for the money.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

SimonG

SimonGCliftleigh

Great Saw

Fantastic Chainsaw.
Have owned it for 2 weeks and have used it for hours cutting up firewood.
The best thing I did was walk out of Bunnings ans givw the Stihl shop a go.
The price was not much more than the rubbish at Bunnings.
Easy to start and look after

Date PurchasedJuly 2018

bren

brennsw

top little saw

got one of these when we built on 5 acres ,a great saw , starts every time,i have cut down 50m trees with this , shouldnt of really ,but it done the job and saved me hiring someone else with a big chainsaw...no complaints about this saw , as a carpenter i also use it a lot on roofing jobs and other projects along with the usual firewood duties....i have had many electric saws that only last a year or 2 but this has been going longer than that and is in great order.....

Date PurchasedMar 2011

First saw I reach for.

I have owned my ms170 for over 10 years now and I never have any issues starting it. I do treat all my saws like my children. It gets used at least twice a week and never lets me down. Keep the chains sharp and the bar oil topped up and i expect to be using it for another 10 years

Date PurchasedApr 2007
Mully

MullyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fantastic Little Saw

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Craig

CraigThurgoona

Great value saw for price.

Bought this saw as we had been quoted $1600 to cut down a tree. Wanted a light weight saw. It was a 14m tall claret ash. Wood not too hard. Saw worked hard for a good 8 hours. Pruned the main trunk then trimmed the main branches. Cut a number of branches that exceeded the 14 inch bar length. So happy I vent out and bought a second hand 660 to cut fire wood.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
ImalumberjackandimOK

ImalumberjackandimOKMount Dandenong, Vic.

Absolutely top notch

I have been using this saw almost daily for two months.
It takes a good few pulls to start it initially but, somehow you know that it will start and, after that, it starts first pull every time.
It is light enough to take up a tree yet it can tackle some really heavy jobs.
This is my favourite and I can highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Replaces a Ryobi

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Should have bought 2

Hands down best $250 I've spent on a power tool. I have 5 other chainsaws and this gets the most use out of all of them. Pruning, bucking, felling small trees, can't beat it. I often find myself on Tippy toes with this in one hand (gasp!!) and it's so light and easy to use I'm not worried about it kicking. My wife and the kids have all learnt safe technique on this saw. Follow the starting procedure and it starts on the 5th pull every time. Been through nothing but oil, fuel and chain. Why would you buy a Ryobi at Bunnings, honestly? 3 year warranty too.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
bretann

bretannMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great performer

I was going to buy the more expensive model but considered the amount of times it would be used, and I’m a cheapskate, it's probably the best $249 with spare chain, I have ever spent. Its lightweight, easy to start provided you closely follow the retailer’s instructions and cut through my 40cm (softwood) tree trunk like butter.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Andrew

AndrewDarling Downs, QLD

Fantastic little chainsaw .. tough agile gets the job done

Great reliable machine .. couldn't get better value in this size of a quality chainsaw. Going to get a second for extra work we have, important to use fresh fuel and run it out .. we use 95 octane with Stihl 2 stroke and starts first time ..helps keep them clean and don't be afraid to
Rev out .. is a chain saw !

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Martin

Martinyogimoose@aol.com

small yet tough

Smallest of the range but very useful when you have only smaller limbs etc to cut. The new range of chainsaws seem to rely on revs rather than torque. All the newest models are extremely light compared to the models of a few years ago. As a result they all use finer grade oils so they can rev faster. A consequence of this design direction is that you must keep the revs up. Having said that this little saw is very versatile and light so that it can perform quite a few different tasks. Naturally it's more suited to wood 4-5 inches in diameter. Very good on fuel and the original blade is also long lasting and remains sharp. Hard to find a better saw.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Marc

Marc

So good I got a second one

I bought this saw for my wife as my larger saw is to heavy/big for her. I ended up using this saw almost all the time with my big saw left on the shelf unless I am cutting large trunks. It is light and easy to use with far more cutting power than I expected. Have had the saw for about 4 years and cut many tons of firewood. I loaned it to a cousin who dropped it and damaged it so I bought a second one while the original was in for repairs (I didn't think it could be fixed, but the Stihl dealer was able to get the parts and the saw is running great).

Date PurchasedFeb 2012
Tom

TomAdelaide

Great Saw

Paid $299 - Saw, Plastic Carry Case + Blade sheath, spare blade sheath, spare chain and a Stihl cap (joy) + fueled and oiled.

Absolute ripper of a saw. Perfect for smaller jobs around the home and probably medium jobs out and about if you were so inclined. Starts first time everytime.

I reckon you can get the saw for $279 on its own at the moment but the plastic carry case will set you back $80 by itself. Wait for a sale/special event if you can.

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Lindsay5710

Lindsay5710Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Got MORE than I paid for

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
KarlV

KarlV

Excellent little chainsaw

I needed a smaller chainsaw as my MS380 was justt too heavy for the smaller stuff.
The little 170 was on special at the local Stihl dealer so I bought one. Started immediately when I fuelled and oiled it. Is light and easy to handle, perfect for cutting up smaller trees and limbs. Thoroughly recommend this model.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

As good as it can get

I have been using chainsaws for over forty years and have used and owned the biggest and the smallest Stihl chainsaws. I have a Ms 170 and what a magic little saw. I have been through ten chains now and it never fails to start. I cut mainly hardwood and it has to cut as big a log as possible. Anyone who has a bad run with one of these is either dead unlicky or don't know what they are doing. I also have a MS251 for bigger logs but the 170 is just a great little saw . Maybe the people who can't start a Stihl should do a course and learn the right way.

Rebirthcarver

RebirthcarverSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little saw

I have 2 - one is an easy start that i bought and used for 5 hrs before it went completely under in the floods of 2011. Forgot about it for 3 months and put it in for a service. Was told it would be best to write it off as the main bearing could not be guaranteed. Stihl dealer at Esk got it going again. I wrote it off an bought another one. The first one is still going strong. Bit rattly but hey- I would be too! Both great little saws.

russ

russtamborine

love it

bought mine over 12 months ago, starts well, nothing has failed except quite a few chains, as I work it quite hard on the weekends, does everything I ask of it, even when its a big ask, it always comes through. had some trees pulled down and have been cutting them up over the past several months(lot of trees), many were hardwoods, no problem at all, keep the blade sharp and tensioned, clean the air filter, and it will just keep going and going, love it buy one!!!!

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Garrett

Garrettasked

MS 170

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?

StihlSaws
StihlSaws

Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211.
Bar part number: 30050004813
Chain part number: 63PM55E

Robert G.

Your running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

Sean K

Sure can though dealers are instructed to tell you it can’t be done.
Some say it will void the warranty but if you spend the extra on Stihl parts you can argue the case easily provided you don’t go overboard.
Contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen it’ll improve your saw a great deal though you’ll have to be mindful of bearing down on it, it’s just a baby after all, just take a little time & get used to its new & greatly improved character, you won’t be sorry.
See my review for details.

Rick

Rickasked

MS 170

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?

Aaron D
Aaron D

Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.

Woody
Woody

Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.

Robert G.

Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Akila T

Akila Tasked

MS 170

Can fix a big bar for ms 170?

Compare both Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss