Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss (page 2 of 4)

MS 170, MS 171

Pros

• Long-life air filter system

• Anti-vibration system

• Chain brake

Cons

• Can be difficult to start up

• Poor build quality

• Safety

ImalumberjackandimOK

ImalumberjackandimOKMount Dandenong, Vic.

Absolutely top notch

I have been using this saw almost daily for two months.
It takes a good few pulls to start it initially but, somehow you know that it will start and, after that, it starts first pull every time.
It is light enough to take up a tree yet it can tackle some really heavy jobs.
This is my favourite and I can highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Replaces a Ryobi

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Do not waste your money.

Worked great the very first time I used it and that was it.been back to the shop twice since and the last time carb.was replaced and it still does not work well at all.has a brand new chain on it and I could cut a log faster with an axe then this thing will cut.been using saws for over 20 yrs. would not recommend this saw to anyone.hard to start, no power and stalls constantly.

Date PurchasedSept 2015

Not Happy

To hard to start. Followed all the instructions with the choke procedures and this thing still won't start. Had to make multiple trips to the dealer at ACE Hardware. When you can get it running, it does a decent job. Lost to much time with this saw running back to the dealer.

Date PurchasedSept 2017

Should have bought 2

Hands down best $250 I've spent on a power tool. I have 5 other chainsaws and this gets the most use out of all of them. Pruning, bucking, felling small trees, can't beat it. I often find myself on Tippy toes with this in one hand (gasp!!) and it's so light and easy to use I'm not worried about it kicking. My wife and the kids have all learnt safe technique on this saw. Follow the starting procedure and it starts on the 5th pull every time. Been through nothing but oil, fuel and chain. Why would you buy a Ryobi at Bunnings, honestly? 3 year warranty too.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
bretann

bretannMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great performer

I was going to buy the more expensive model but considered the amount of times it would be used, and I’m a cheapskate, it's probably the best $249 with spare chain, I have ever spent. Its lightweight, easy to start provided you closely follow the retailer’s instructions and cut through my 40cm (softwood) tree trunk like butter.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Andrew

AndrewDarling Downs, QLD

Fantastic little chainsaw .. tough agile gets the job done

Great reliable machine .. couldn't get better value in this size of a quality chainsaw. Going to get a second for extra work we have, important to use fresh fuel and run it out .. we use 95 octane with Stihl 2 stroke and starts first time ..helps keep them clean and don't be afraid to
Rev out .. is a chain saw !

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Martin

Martinyogimoose@aol.com

small yet tough

Smallest of the range but very useful when you have only smaller limbs etc to cut. The new range of chainsaws seem to rely on revs rather than torque. All the newest models are extremely light compared to the models of a few years ago. As a result they all use finer grade oils so they can rev faster. A consequence of this design direction is that you must keep the revs up. Having said that this little saw is very versatile and light so that it can perform quite a few different tasks. Naturally it's more suited to wood 4-5 inches in diameter. Very good on fuel and the original blade is also long lasting and remains sharp. Hard to find a better saw.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Marc

Marc

So good I got a second one

I bought this saw for my wife as my larger saw is to heavy/big for her. I ended up using this saw almost all the time with my big saw left on the shelf unless I am cutting large trunks. It is light and easy to use with far more cutting power than I expected. Have had the saw for about 4 years and cut many tons of firewood. I loaned it to a cousin who dropped it and damaged it so I bought a second one while the original was in for repairs (I didn't think it could be fixed, but the Stihl dealer was able to get the parts and the saw is running great).

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

Mika

MikaPatterson Lakes

WOW, surprised by what it has done!

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Tom

TomAdelaide

Great Saw

Paid $299 - Saw, Plastic Carry Case + Blade sheath, spare blade sheath, spare chain and a Stihl cap (joy) + fueled and oiled.

Absolute ripper of a saw. Perfect for smaller jobs around the home and probably medium jobs out and about if you were so inclined. Starts first time everytime.

I reckon you can get the saw for $279 on its own at the moment but the plastic carry case will set you back $80 by itself. Wait for a sale/special event if you can.

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Lindsay5710

Lindsay5710Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Got MORE than I paid for

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
TJC

TJCMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Pros and cons

When I bought my MS170 from Mitre 10 it had a very light weight chain on it. The chain lasted me about a week then bought a new (same) chain which lasted about 2 days and could not be sharpened. I just ordered 3 new chains from Ebay and they are much heavier duty and bigger teeth on them. Just tested it on a log and its like a new chainsaw. The original chain on it from new was pathetic and the teeth were tiny. Much more satisfied now. Was going to sell the saw but happy with it now. Testing it out tomorrow on a full day of cutting down medium size trees so will see how it goes. It starts ok after a bit of choke but revs out pretty high which can take you a bit unaware if your not ready for it!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

jasonw1000Brisbane

Does what it says on the packet and does it well.

Over all this is a pretty good saw.

I flooded it first time but once I got the hang of the start up procedure there's been no problems since. Its done the job of cutting branches and small trees without too much difficulty. It sometimes struggles to tackle really hard wood but I'm going to replace the chain and have a feeling that will do the trick. I bought this saw one year ago and am still using the original chain.
Cons: Lots of plastic and feels a little cheap in the hands. Leaks bar oil when stored but not enough for it to be an issue.

No regrets about buying this saw and would recommend it to others.

Date PurchasedSept 2015
KarlV

KarlV

Excellent little chainsaw

I needed a smaller chainsaw as my MS380 was justt too heavy for the smaller stuff.
The little 170 was on special at the local Stihl dealer so I bought one. Started immediately when I fuelled and oiled it. Is light and easy to handle, perfect for cutting up smaller trees and limbs. Thoroughly recommend this model.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

LCL999

LCL999Sydney, NSW

Very hard to start. Instructions incomplete.

Reading all the other reviews it seems that frequent users think it is great. Others, like me, have great difficulty getting it to start. I follow the instructions as best I can. Also there is a lever beside the word STOP just above the four position master control lever and two images of a padlock; one open, one closed. There is no mention of this lever in the manual. Do I move the lever towards the open padlock symbol to unlock it, or do I move the lever to reveal the open padlock symbol?

My previous chainsaw was electric. I forget the brand but it worked really well for many years. I got talked out of getting another electric one. Bad decision.

As good as it can get

I have been using chainsaws for over forty years and have used and owned the biggest and the smallest Stihl chainsaws. I have a Ms 170 and what a magic little saw. I have been through ten chains now and it never fails to start. I cut mainly hardwood and it has to cut as big a log as possible. Anyone who has a bad run with one of these is either dead unlicky or don't know what they are doing. I also have a MS251 for bigger logs but the 170 is just a great little saw . Maybe the people who can't start a Stihl should do a course and learn the right way.

A decent saw for a decent price,

Rebirthcarver

RebirthcarverSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little saw

I have 2 - one is an easy start that i bought and used for 5 hrs before it went completely under in the floods of 2011. Forgot about it for 3 months and put it in for a service. Was told it would be best to write it off as the main bearing could not be guaranteed. Stihl dealer at Esk got it going again. I wrote it off an bought another one. The first one is still going strong. Bit rattly but hey- I would be too! Both great little saws.

russ

russtamborine

love it

bought mine over 12 months ago, starts well, nothing has failed except quite a few chains, as I work it quite hard on the weekends, does everything I ask of it, even when its a big ask, it always comes through. had some trees pulled down and have been cutting them up over the past several months(lot of trees), many were hardwoods, no problem at all, keep the blade sharp and tensioned, clean the air filter, and it will just keep going and going, love it buy one!!!!

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss reviews

Bill H.

Bill H.asked

MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

Hi bought still 171 mini boss off the wrack at dealer starting problem emeditaly
back on wrack
second one better until out it field dreadfulstart also
seems like fuel not helping when starting up cough and cough later pull trigger to run chain dies completely warranty expired by one month
now have 170 runs ok but quote to deal with other $80 per hour
One does not chuck these units over shoulder every 5 minutes
Any tips
Bill Holleman

Dogman
Dogman

Bill, U-tube have some good videos on the best starting procedure. I suggest you take a look. They don't like stale fuel so it's best to drain the tank when not using it. My 170 seized up so I changed brand and paid a bit more for an Echo chainsaw. It's beautifully engineered, starts first pull and runs very smoothly (made in Japan too). I'm not longer a fan of Stihl although I do own a Stihl petrol blower which has been a great machine. It's old and not made in China.

Victoria Jonson
Victoria Jonson

I bought the Stihl Mini boss because of the great reviews, however, one review said "it's a bugger to start but when it is going it is a great little machine".
This is true, it can be very difficult to get it going especially if it hasn't been used for a few months. Also, you must have the correct fuel mix which I purchased at the store where I bought it. This gave me an extra 2 years warranty (4 in total).
I also drain the fluid back into the container when it's not in use. Sometimes I also have to leave the machine until the next day as continually pulling the starter floods the engine.

Jack D. W.

Jack D. W.asked

MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

Does the MS170 , MS 171, MS 180 and MS181 all have automatic chain oilers?

lescam

lescamasked

MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

what size cutter bar does stihl mini boss come with?

See all Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss questions

Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

The MiniBoss series by STIHL presents an entry-level petrol-powered chainsaw, ideal for cutting firewood and felling small trees. It’s easy to start with a combi-lever and contains an automatic STIHL Ematic chain lubrication system.

Features

STIHL anti-vibration system: This anti-vibration system dampens the oscillations from the engine which significantly reduces vibrations at the handles, too, ensuring smooth operation of the chainsaw.

Compensator: This controller in the carburetor prevents the fuel-air mixture from getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged which keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant. This also makes the engine power constant. The filter doesn't need to be cleaned until a significant drop in power occurs.

Single-lever master control: All the important functions such as start, choke, throttle and stop can be operated via a single lever.

STIHL Ematic-System: The Ematic chain lubrication system ensures pinpoint lubrication of the saw chain links and guide bar rails. When used with STIHL OILOMATIC saw chain, it will provide maximum lubrication, longer wear and less oil consumption than conventional methods of chain lubrication. The Ematic system can reduce bar oil consumption by up to 50%.

STIHL ElastoStart: STIHL ElastoStart reduces the shock caused by the compression of the engine during starting. The compression shock is taken away from the user’s joints and muscles through a spring or rubber element in the starter handle.

Pre-separation air filtration system: The innovative long-life air filter system greatly extends the service life of the filter. Air routing removes larger particles of dirt, meaning the actual filter has less to do, and the saw can be used for longer without having to clean the filter.

Advanced combustion technology: Four overflow channels swirl the fuel-air mix before ignition, allowing for optimum combustion and highly efficient performance. The result is lower consumption and high torque across a broad rpm range.

QuickStop Chain Brake: The QuickStop chain brake is a protective mechanism when handling chainsaws. The chain brake is operated via the front hand guard and brings the saw chain to a standstill in fractions of a second. If the kickback is strong enough, the Quick Stop Chain Brake automatically releases.

Compare both Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss
CategoryPetrol ChainsawsPetrol Chainsaws
Price (RRP) $249.00$399.00
Use PruningPruning
Bar Length35 cm
FeaturesAnti-Vibration System and Automatic Chain Oiling / LubricationAnti-Vibration System, Chain Brake and Tool-free Chain Tensioning
Weight4 kg4.3 kg