Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss

Stihl MS 170 / 171 MiniBoss (page 2 of 3)

MS 170 and MS 171

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

bretann

bretannMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great performer

I was going to buy the more expensive model but considered the amount of times it would be used, and I’m a cheapskate, it's probably the best $249 with spare chain, I have ever spent. Its lightweight, easy to start provided you closely follow the retailer’s instructions and cut through my 40cm (softwood) tree trunk like butter.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Andrew

AndrewDarling Downs, QLD

Fantastic little chainsaw .. tough agile gets the job done

Great reliable machine .. couldn't get better value in this size of a quality chainsaw. Going to get a second for extra work we have, important to use fresh fuel and run it out .. we use 95 octane with Stihl 2 stroke and starts first time ..helps keep them clean and don't be afraid to
Rev out .. is a chain saw !

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Martin

Martinyogimoose@aol.com

small yet tough

Smallest of the range but very useful when you have only smaller limbs etc to cut. The new range of chainsaws seem to rely on revs rather than torque. All the newest models are extremely light compared to the models of a few years ago. As a result they all use finer grade oils so they can rev faster. A consequence of this design direction is that you must keep the revs up. Having said that this little saw is very versatile and light so that it can perform quite a few different tasks. Naturally it's more suited to wood 4-5 inches in diameter. Very good on fuel and the original blade is also long lasting and remains sharp. Hard to find a better saw.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Marc

Marc

So good I got a second one

I bought this saw for my wife as my larger saw is to heavy/big for her. I ended up using this saw almost all the time with my big saw left on the shelf unless I am cutting large trunks. It is light and easy to use with far more cutting power than I expected. Have had the saw for about 4 years and cut many tons of firewood. I loaned it to a cousin who dropped it and damaged it so I bought a second one while the original was in for repairs (I didn't think it could be fixed, but the Stihl dealer was able to get the parts and the saw is running great).

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

Mika

MikaPatterson Lakes

WOW, surprised by what it has done!

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Tom

TomAdelaide

Great Saw

Paid $299 - Saw, Plastic Carry Case + Blade sheath, spare blade sheath, spare chain and a Stihl cap (joy) + fueled and oiled.

Absolute ripper of a saw. Perfect for smaller jobs around the home and probably medium jobs out and about if you were so inclined. Starts first time everytime.

I reckon you can get the saw for $279 on its own at the moment but the plastic carry case will set you back $80 by itself. Wait for a sale/special event if you can.

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Lindsay5710

Lindsay5710Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Got MORE than I paid for

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Pros and cons

When I bought my MS170 from Mitre 10 it had a very light weight chain on it. The chain lasted me about a week then bought a new (same) chain which lasted about 2 days and could not be sharpened. I just ordered 3 new chains from Ebay and they are much heavier duty and bigger teeth on them. Just tested it on a log and its like a new chainsaw. The original chain on it from new was pathetic and the teeth were tiny. Much more satisfied now. Was going to sell the saw but happy with it now. Testing it out tomorrow on a full day of cutting down medium size trees so will see how it goes. It starts ok after a bit of choke but revs out pretty high which can take you a bit unaware if your not ready for it!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

jasonw1000Brisbane

Does what it says on the packet and does it well.

Over all this is a pretty good saw.

I flooded it first time but once I got the hang of the start up procedure there's been no problems since. Its done the job of cutting branches and small trees without too much difficulty. It sometimes struggles to tackle really hard wood but I'm going to replace the chain and have a feeling that will do the trick. I bought this saw one year ago and am still using the original chain.
Cons: Lots of plastic and feels a little cheap in the hands. Leaks bar oil when stored but not enough for it to be an issue.

No regrets about buying this saw and would recommend it to others.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
KarlV

KarlV

Excellent little chainsaw

I needed a smaller chainsaw as my MS380 was justt too heavy for the smaller stuff.
The little 170 was on special at the local Stihl dealer so I bought one. Started immediately when I fuelled and oiled it. Is light and easy to handle, perfect for cutting up smaller trees and limbs. Thoroughly recommend this model.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

LCL999

LCL999Sydney

Very hard to start. Instructions incomplete.

Reading all the other reviews it seems that frequent users think it is great. Others, like me, have great difficulty getting it to start. I follow the instructions as best I can. Also there is a lever beside the word STOP just above the four position master control lever and two images of a padlock; one open, one closed. There is no mention of this lever in the manual. Do I move the lever towards the open padlock symbol to unlock it, or do I move the lever to reveal the open padlock symbol?

My previous chainsaw was electric. I forget the brand but it worked really well for many years. I got talked out of getting another electric one. Bad decision.

As good as it can get

I have been using chainsaws for over forty years and have used and owned the biggest and the smallest Stihl chainsaws. I have a Ms 170 and what a magic little saw. I have been through ten chains now and it never fails to start. I cut mainly hardwood and it has to cut as big a log as possible. Anyone who has a bad run with one of these is either dead unlicky or don't know what they are doing. I also have a MS251 for bigger logs but the 170 is just a great little saw . Maybe the people who can't start a Stihl should do a course and learn the right way.

A decent saw for a decent price,

Rebirthcarver

RebirthcarverSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little saw

I have 2 - one is an easy start that i bought and used for 5 hrs before it went completely under in the floods of 2011. Forgot about it for 3 months and put it in for a service. Was told it would be best to write it off as the main bearing could not be guaranteed. Stihl dealer at Esk got it going again. I wrote it off an bought another one. The first one is still going strong. Bit rattly but hey- I would be too! Both great little saws.

russ

russtamborine

love it

bought mine over 12 months ago, starts well, nothing has failed except quite a few chains, as I work it quite hard on the weekends, does everything I ask of it, even when its a big ask, it always comes through. had some trees pulled down and have been cutting them up over the past several months(lot of trees), many were hardwoods, no problem at all, keep the blade sharp and tensioned, clean the air filter, and it will just keep going and going, love it buy one!!!!

Beffa

BeffaPerth

Waste of Money

This is the most unreliable chainsaw I have ever known. The only good thing I can say is that it starts easily. I have owned it for only 2 years and it has been back to the dealers for repairs 3 time now, and the repair total costs are now just over 50% of the purchase price. My previous chainsaw was a husqvarna of similar size but not only was it cheaper to buy but in 10 years it never required any more than routine services. Regret now I was talked into "trading up"

mark w

mark wAU

Does what it should

My first chainsaw, and used it a few times and it runs just fine. Starts easily hot or cold, just love it.
Bought for four wheel driving trips and camping, only $300 including a case.
Originally bought an Aldi special for $200 but didn't like the look of the quality so bit the bullet and went the Stihl.

Dan JohnsonSunshine Coast, QLD

My Best Chainsaw

Purchased in January 2014 at Sunshine Coast Mowers Online store for $299.00.

Safety
Dan Johnson

Had a problem with the saw after 2 years of hard use: the welch plug sealant in the carburetor deteriorated and the saw lost power in cuts and would not rev high cleanly. Fixed just in time under warranty, now cuts fine again

woftam

woftam

Perfectly good for trees it was designed for.

I've been using this machine for about a month now and can say I'm happy with it's performance. If you read the manual carefully and not jump steps in the operating procedure it will work for you. Starts every time for me when warm or cold. The biggest piece of wood I've cut would be around 25cm in diameter which it went thru no worries. It's not a hard core chainsaw but it perfect enough for the home owner for trimming limbs or cutting firewood. I'm happy with it and would give it an 8 out of 10.

Absolute rubbish

Have had this rubbish Stihl chainsaw for four years and it has always been difficult to start. It has been "serviced" by the dealer twice, and is no easier to start. My previous chainsaw - a Husqvarna - was great and was always very easy to start. I will be tossing this Stihl chainsaw in the garbage.

Michael B.

35 cm bar with a standard chain 3/8 think

Garrett

Garrettasked

MS 170

Can a person put a heavier chain on the ms170?

StihlSaws
StihlSaws

Yes you can! It is the same bar/chain combo on the MS211.
Bar part number: 30050004813
Chain part number: 63PM55E

Robert G.

Your running a .043 bar and chain, u can go with a .050 bar and chain.. wouldnt recommend though because you power to bar and chain are mediocre you put on larger, it will require more power to run the loop and there for cut slower

Sean K
Sean K

Sure can though dealers are instructed to tell you it can’t be done.
Some say it will void the warranty but if you spend the extra on Stihl parts you can argue the case easily provided you don’t go overboard.
Contrary to a couple of comments I’ve seen it’ll improve your saw a great deal though you’ll have to be mindful of bearing down on it, it’s just a baby after all, just take a little time & get used to its new & greatly improved character, you won’t be sorry.
See my review for details.

Rick

Rickasked

MS 170

I keep sharpening my chain on my mini boss but it just won't go through small pieces of wood just keeps burning through on matter how sharp the chain is what am I doing wrong?

Aaron D
Aaron D

Make sure you have the correct size file for the chain and are sharpening at the proper angle. Sharpen from inside to outside of tooth using a forward motion only. I initially had the wrong size file and it wouldn't sharpen the chain at all.

Woody
Woody

Hi Rick,the problem is the rakers, those bumpy things in front of the teeth. Get a small flat file and give each one a couple strokes, file in the same direction as if sharpening. Try cutting again, there should be chips not dust. Repeat this process, until chips are achieved. The more you file, the more the chain digs in. You don't need to do this every time you sharpen your chain, only when you notice dust or the problem you have now. Good luck and may you spit chips.

Robert G.

Stihl makes a offset file that has a flat file and 2 round files in the tool. Ie as you sharpen the tooth the flat file also takes the rake down to proper height. If rakes are not correct, sharp cutters will not be able to penetrate wood

Get an answer from our members and Stihl representatives

Stihl MS 171