Stihl MS 291 Yard Boss

Stihl MS 291 Yard Boss

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

sadly not tough enough

I had a Husky Rancher 460 that died. So i replaced it with a Stihl MS 291 as being in same zone. Still over $1000 so I expected a good few years. In around 12 months it was dead. Piston melted. I had followed all instructions and serviced regularly, admittedly not using Stihl oil ( rather Caltex- hardly a sin). Stihl shop were gloriously unhelpful implying that even if I sent it to stihl for warranty work ( which I would need to initially pay for) it wouldn't go my way. Im tough on tools but this is expensive nonsense. Back to Huskys for me. no more Stihl

Date PurchasedJan 2016

have two ms291's for firewood business

I have two ms 291 saws. First one cut around 300 cubic metres of wood. No real problems. Had to get a new coil, covered under 2 year warranty. Still runs great. Nice compression, good rumble. Had second one for a couple of months. Runs ok. Maybe a issue with the idle, seems to be a little off, compared to the first one. I will run it hard for a while see how it goes, while under warranty. Good saws., but are made in china and brazil, compared to older ones made in east germany.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

This was perfect until it seize up.

This was a great saw until it seize up. For some reason it seize and when I took it in to where I got it they told me it could have been the oil mixed or it got air. I know it was not oil mixed so after 4 years not good.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Stihl MS 291

Still not run in but has performed faultlessly so far. This I think is the ideal size saw for people that are more lightly built but need to go firewood cutting a just for the winter months. Due to its relatively light weight its easy to handle if you are an occasional user but when you use it you may be cutting all day. The saw has ample power for dry hard woods and lots of professional saw features such as the air cleaner system and stratified charge mix system. Very fuel efficient, you will likely need to have rest before you have finished a tank of fuel. Excellent hot/warm starting, cold starting is good but you do notice the compression a lot more, there is no decompression lever. Important to hold the saw down very firmly on cold starts as the kick back can be a bit harsh. Once warmed up it starts very easily, can be drop started no problem at all.

If you need a decent saw that can that is light enough for the light cutting but heavy enough for timber up to 40cm or a bit more in diameter this saw will do it all. A very good al-rounder if you only need one saw.
Build quality is excellent, plenty of power, flawless starting cold, hot or warm. Well featured saw in terms of having a few of the professional saw featires.
Kick back on cold starting. (but you learn to live with it not a deal breaker by any means)