Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss

Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Safety

Excellent chain saw!

It is very easy to start once you figure it out,pops off every time like clock work and once warm....one pull every time. It has very good power and I'm running a 20" bar. Love It! quite baffeled with some of the negative responses???? ripped into some old very hard red oak last year, outdid my buddies comparable Husky. Again couldn't be happier. I run none oxy 91 and Steels top of line oil, never even changed plug yet.

Date PurchasedJuly 2011

Solid all round saw

Not a bad saw until you roll a 1000lb log over it. Sounds like all the start issues you guys complain about is failure of your local dealer jetting the carburetor for right altitude. I live at 9k feet saw runs great up to 11k so far. But have to say after I destroy saw has never ran the same and getting replacement parts takes ions for Stihl dealers. Has bean a year and still not right from my accident. Parts should not take 3 or more months to get to a authorized dealer

Date PurchasedJune 2015

stilh 311

i have a311 as well runs like a dream, would not be without it. works all day long. like l said , if you look after them ,they do the jod really well, for a average saw i reckon they are the best in they range bye a stilh any dayRon

Date PurchasedApr 2014
RonGeelong

311 is perfect chainsaw for the average wood cutter

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Big problem

My problem with this and all the other Stihl saws, trimmers, and blowers I have is they won't give me a little bit of a break. Every other brand I've owned gave me a break every 30 minutes or so... Usually the break last an hour or more, but no such luck with these. Another problem I've had is replacing fuel caps because of the alcohol blended gases nowadays. I also have one that has been giving me problems and its only 15 years old, I had to spend all kinds of money to buy a plug, filter, and fuel lines.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Absolutely fantastic chainsaw! Cannot fault it.

I am staggered at some of the negative comments here. I wonder how much is operator error?? The 311 is a fantastic mid-range chainsaw. If you learn to operate it properly, use a good quality 2-stroke oil, and do a little basic maintenance on it to keep it (and the air filter) clean, it will give you years of powerful trouble-free operation. I've had mine for over 5 years and have never had it back at a dealer. I have never had a problem starting it - just follow the same basic procedure every time. I have other Stihl products and I would rate them all as good.

Date PurchasedAug 2011
Nick
NickVictoria, 3691

Great saw.

Chris Wingate
Chris Wingate

Total design flaw piece of crap

davejenkins
davejenkins

a good thing.

I had starting problems too, took it back to dealer complaining, and they showed me the correct way. If you do it properly, it starts every single time. Once going, it is awesome. Tons of power, uses little fuel or oil. I rotate 5 chains, and keep them razor sharp. Initially we butted heads, now we're buddies ;) The backup from the Stihl dealer here is amazing too.

Oil pump broke

Bought this saw just over a year ago. It's only been used a few times to clear some storm damage. On the last occasion it started smoking. I took it to the dealer and they said the oil pump needed to be replaced at a cost of $114. I complained to Stihl but they wouldn't cover the repair cost.

Ron B
Ron BWillis Mi

Awesome Saw

125 face cords so far, No problems, Has worked perfectly not even a sparkplug change!! High power, Low fuel consumption,

Peter B
Peter BSydney

Ok so far

Saw has more power than some cars i have driven !

I have had one issue with the saw not starting, but once i worked out how to start a flooded carb. it was all good. (tie throttle wide open, do not use any choke at all, just turn to "I" (on) and give it a few pulls)

I found it interesting that the manual only suggested taking out the spark plugs and clearing the gap as a solution to a non-starting saw. I could not find a reference to starting a flooded carb.

Lesson is : never use the choke or half-choke if the engine has been used in last 12 hours or so.

Find out how Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

Waste of money and time!

This saw was design to be one big problem to the average timber cuter who just likes to cut wood and not rebuild a saw that never wonts to start and if or when it dose the maintenance that the Carburetor and air filter need is one big joke only a few hours work requires the same time to keep it running again if it will one big lemon from the sthil range of chainsaw that you should run from!!

It's a lemon.

Ruckateer
Ruckateer

Its obvious you have no idea how to operate the 311. a great piece of equipment and very easy to start and use. powerful, and I fully recommend this machine. get a grip and read the manual.

richgemhunter

Its obvious you like a poor choice! you probably love your 311 lemon as it would rank the same as the bike junk .

richgemhunter

Over a year ago and stihl would not have another

jay2828perth

Absolutely Fantastic!

This is my first saw and I cant stop using it! have 5 acres and used it on a 2ft diameter dry, dead tuart and it cut through like butter. it has the 20" bar so i can cut good sized logs in one pass. starts very easily when choke and decomp valve are used correctly, i have had no issues with reliability whatsoever. if i had read the previous revis prior to purchase i would not have gotten one but so glad i did, it is freakin awesome!! :-D
Good power and weight, easy start, cuts toughest woods like butter

will leave you spending hours of (fun) ....working out why it won't start .. :(

jay2828

haven't had that problem and its started about 30 times so far. each time it starts within a few pulls. sorry to hear of your experience but it certainly hasn't been mine.

Works great when it runs!

Dave5656
Dave5656

Where did u buy this saw from and did u have it tuned before use?

JohnThomas
JohnThomasAU

Good strong unit,sometimes hard to start.

Once started, this saw is a great tool to use. Well balanced, powerful and efficient.
My only concern is that it has been difficult to start on occassion.
Strong, well balanced, good on fuel.
Sometimes hard to start.