Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss

Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Bobr
BobrWangaratta

Running sweet & strong for 11 yrs straight

Bought my MS311 new in 2010 fitted with 20" bar and very reliable machine.
Does lots of work every year for me. eg I buy bar oil in 20L drums.
Replacing chains, bars and sprockets is very easy. Nice design.
Never have to tune it. Very happy.
Only service issue has been new muffler last year.

Purchased in January 2010.

Solid all round saw

Not a bad saw until you roll a 1000lb log over it. Sounds like all the start issues you guys complain about is failure of your local dealer jetting the carburetor for right altitude. I live at 9k feet saw runs great up to 11k so far. But have to say after I destroy saw has never ran the same and getting replacement parts takes ions for Stihl dealers. Has bean a year and still not right from my accident. Parts should not take 3 or more months to get to a authorized dealer

Date PurchasedJune 2015
davejenkins
davejenkins

a good thing.

I had starting problems too, took it back to dealer complaining, and they showed me the correct way. If you do it properly, it starts every single time. Once going, it is awesome. Tons of power, uses little fuel or oil. I rotate 5 chains, and keep them razor sharp. Initially we butted heads, now we're buddies ;) The backup from the Stihl dealer here is amazing too.

Peter B
Peter BSydney

Ok so far

Saw has more power than some cars i have driven !

I have had one issue with the saw not starting, but once i worked out how to start a flooded carb. it was all good. (tie throttle wide open, do not use any choke at all, just turn to "I" (on) and give it a few pulls)

I found it interesting that the manual only suggested taking out the spark plugs and clearing the gap as a solution to a non-starting saw. I could not find a reference to starting a flooded carb.

Lesson is : never use the choke or half-choke if the engine has been used in last 12 hours or so.

Petrol Chainsaws

Find out how Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

JohnThomas
JohnThomasAU

Good strong unit,sometimes hard to start.

Once started, this saw is a great tool to use. Well balanced, powerful and efficient.
My only concern is that it has been difficult to start on occassion.
Strong, well balanced, good on fuel.
Sometimes hard to start.

frank
frankasked

we just bought the ms311 and they started it at the store but when we brought it home it won't start. Any help?

Take it back and try to get your cash back. It is a really poorly built chain for Stihl standards and has been plauged with issues including catastrophic engine failure (cylinder and cylinder head burning out). Stihl have attempted to cover this up by encouraging their dealerships to say a poor mix was used. If you can get your money back or change for a different model, I would do so.

Ray H.
Ray H.asked

I have what year were they first bought out

Poorbuildquality
Poorbuildquality

2009 I believe, it has been plagued with issues. Really poor build just read thread.

Danny Dawson
Danny Dawsonasked

can you go from 20 inch to 24 inch bar?

See all Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss questions

CategoryPetrol Chainsaws
Price (RRP) $1,199.00
Use Pruning and Small tree felling, trimming, and cross-cutting
Bar Length50 cm
FeaturesAnti-Vibration System, Automatic Chain Oiling / Lubrication and Quick / Easy Start
Weight6.2 kg