Adjustable chain output
Single-lever master control
Can break after a short amount of time
Worst chain saw ever
Brought one and paid $1100. Lasted just over 12 months. When we took it back to the dealer because it wasn't working they told us that the pistons where gone due to incorrect fuel. There is on way that could of happened. Have other tools that use the same fuel they are still going strong. Piece of junk no after sales help. The saw is just out of warranty. Hopeless tool hopeless after sales service don't do it
Purchased in November 2018 for $1,100.00.
Junk - just like Stihl service
Died after 5 months - piston scored. Stihl dealer insisted it was due to incorrect fuel mix- even though it had always been run on the same mix (using Stihl 2stroke oil) as my other Stihl gear. Stihl head office simply refused to reply to emails & calls.
Was great when it was running, but the premium paid for something which did not even last half a year was just wasted money - would have been better off just buying junk and throwing them away at the first sign of trouble: the Ozito bought as an emergency replacement has lasted 4 times as long & still going strong.
Purchased in February 2016 at Stihl Dealer.
Saws dead after 3 months
Piece of junk. Barrel and piston are scored and apparently ruined after 3 months. STIHL says its had the wrong fuel mix even though all my other 6 saws that run on the exact same fuel start first pull.
Only STIHL saws worth potentially buying are the arborist saws and the 66 but be careful my mate bought a stihl saw and pulled it apart before he turned it on and the piston was rusty. If something goes wrong its never their fault.
Find out how Stihl MS 381 compares to other Petrol Chainsaws
Know better, choose better.
Questions & Answers
My ms 381 run about 10 minutes then dies
Start does not stay ...it start but it stop now n then...why?
Ms381 has a clogging sound when the chain is locked. And the machine idles extremely high . sometimes won't start if chain is locked. Overall locking the chain causes a chocking sound and eventually chainsaw cuts off. Any ideas on the cause?
This chainsaw is suitable for heavy-duty use on a wide variety of commercial or farming jobs. It features a deco valve and an ElastoStart handle on the pull cord for easier starting.
- Anti-vibration system: Intense vibration at the handles of power tools can lead to longer-term effects on blood vessels in the hands and arms. STIHL have therefore developed an effective anti-vibration system whereby the oscillations from the machines engine are dampened which significantly reduces vibrations at the handles.
- STIHL ElastoStart: This feature reduces the shock caused by the compression of the engine during starting. The compression shock is taken away from the users joints and muscles through a spring or rubber element in the starter handle.
- Decompression Valve: The decompression valve is part of the easy start-system. The valve should be pressed before starting in order to reduce the compression pressure when starting, as well as the effort needed to pull the starter rope. The decompression valve is semi-automatic, meaning that it must be pressed manually before starting, but then closes automatically.
- Compensator: This controller in the carburetor prevents the fuel-air mixture getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged. The correct quantity of fuel is delivered to the carburetor depending on the quantity of air passing through the air filter. This keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant and hence also the engine power. The filter doesn’t need to be cleaned until an appreciable drop in power occurs.
- STIHL Ematic-System: The Ematic chain lubrication system ensures pinpoint lubrication of the saw chain links and guide bar rails. When used with STIHL OILOMATIC saw chain, it will provide maximum lubrication, longer wear and less oil consumption than conventional methods of chain lubrication. The Ematic system can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.
|Bar Length||50 cm|
|Engine Displacement||72.2 cc|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||680 mL|
|Release date||Jan 2009|
Visit official website
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.