Subaru Forester

Subaru Forester Questions & Answers

S3, 79V, 1997 Release, etc...

70 questions from our users

Terrance C.

Terrance C.asked

Forester 1997 Release (1997-2002)

I have a 3000 model Forrester
When driving the rear of car moves from side to side and has a scaping noise

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Terrance, thank you for reaching out. We encourage you to visit your local Subaru service team for a diagnostic service to determine the issue with your vehicle. I have attached the below link to locate your nearest Subaru Service team https://bit.ly/3etXoIK .If there is anything further that we can assist you with please do not hesitate to get into touch 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST).
The Subaru Team

Bob Simmons

Bob Simmonsasked

Forester S4 (2013-2018)

I have a Subaru Forester only done 107596 kms and is repeatedly failing to start for now reason.
Ignition lights all Ok but just dies on key operation.
No response from starter motor at all.
Can happen anywhere stuck at home some 45 Kms from home and have had it towed to workshop twice after being stuck in city.
Can anyone offer a solution

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Bob, We are so sorry to hear this and would like to hear more. Could you please contact us at feedback@subaru.com.au or you may call our Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST). We look forward in hearing from you.
The Subaru Team

Arthur B.

Arthur B.asked

Diesel engine comparison.

Allan
Allan

Arthur, my Foester is petrol so I cannot make any comparison with diesel.

chrisasked

Forester S4 (2013-2018)

we have recently purchased a 2013 subaru forrester with 165000 klm , 1 week after purchase preformed a dpf removal and clean , 600klm later dpf light on , another forced regen , drove to and from work 600 klms checked and the system had attempted 4 burns and completed 2 , wife took the car on a 500 klm highway trip and 250 klm in dpf light came on system check showed 5 attempted burns none completed .
can anyone explain what drives the dpf burn and what would stop the burn from completing ?

Misty P.
Misty P.

My Forester (2010 diesel) has had this problem appear after 250K ..I took it to the mechanic and he did a "burn off" after which it was alright for a while. Now the light is coming on and sometimes the engine light as well but it also disappears as well? Anyway I have had 6 Subarus and yes I love them but I wouldn't buy a diesel again and I live in the country definitely wouldn't buy one for city driving as the diesel need long highway country runs to burn off the soot? I really hope Subaru doesn't let the quality of their cars slip. All cars/makes/brands have "issues" it just how much it takes to repairs these which you need to take into account.. VW (never buy one) is on another planet with spare parts which you WILL need in dire course..I have been happy with all my previous models and probably would buy another or a Toyota which are probably the most reliable cars out..

chris

after 4 months of constant issues with the dpf we removed the old dpf and sent it to western australia for an inspection prior to another clean , upon a camera inspection they discovered the insides were damaged $3500 later a new dpf aftermarket , egr and manifold clean and most important change in driving style ( drive it like you stole it and do not use 6th gear unless you are in 110klm zone ) and only drive in 3rd gear around the city. fuel consumption has only increased by .5l/100 klm but no lights or mechanic bills
since this we have the dpf light come on once then went out performed a scan and we had completed a regen burn 20klm ago which is half way to town

Paul E.
Paul E.

It would be worth checking whether the excessive oil consumption issue is contributing to the DPF build up. A class action (regarding these models 2011-14 Forester 2.5-litre, 2013 Legacy 2.5-litre, 2013 Outback 2.5-litre, 2012-13 Impreza 2-litre and 2013 XV Crosstek 2-litre) was settled in the US in 2014.

Grimeasked

Forester S5 2.5i-S (2018-2021)

I have heard that the latest release coming in last quarter2020 is increasing the tow bar load to 1800kg, has auto door locking and front corner parking assist as standard on the S version.Is this true,should I wait for this release as we like to tow a van and the 1500kg is a bit light on?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Grime, There is the possibility that there will be changes to the Forester but we do not have any confirmed specs as of yet. Please keep an eye on our website for any new vehicle announcements. The Subaru Team.

robert c.asked

Forester

The tyre pressure as shown on the inside door panel is 230Kpa or 32.8 psi. The dealer who sold the car to me advised that the tyre pressure should be 38psi or 266Kpa. Could you please advise the correct pressure?
Regards Robert cowley

Mike
Mike

Subaru recommends 230Kpa for front and rear but to increase the rear to 270Kpa when towing. That's all I know. Cheers

hi Mike Who is right?
robert

KSC

KSCasked

Forester S5 2.5i Premium (2018-2021)

Can you set the vehicle to auto lock at a certain speed or when the vehicle is put into drive? Having to remember to lock the vehicle after all these years of your previous vehicle doing this is taking a lot of getting used to. I don't like the idea of driving around with someone being able to jump into my boot or doors whilst stopped at traffic lights etc if I happen to forget to lock the doors..

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ KSC, The Outback is currently our only model with automatic door locking. The Subaru Team.

Grime

Any truth in the rumour that Subaru Australia is enabling auto door locking again in new Forester for 2020?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Grime, Thanks for getting in touch. There is no confirmed news at this stage that automatic door locking will be available in the next Forester but please keep an eye on our website for all new vehicle announcements. The Subaru Team. http://bit.ly/2NrKg8N

Jon M.

Jon M.asked

Forester 79V (2002-2008)

Started the vehicle this morning and let it idle for 90 seconds with my foot on the clutch...dog escaped so I took foot of clutch and got out to retrieve dog (all up...about 30seconds).

Heard a gear grating noise behind me and watched the car jump forward, then stall. Bugger said I.

Put dog away and went back out to the car.

Got in - tried the gear stick and it balked at all gears. Started the car with foot on the clutch and engine started, no problem. No engagement of gearbox.

Went to engage gears - which I couldn't, so I took my foot of the clutch which promptly stalled the engine.

Gearbox stuck in 5th gear.

Any body had a similar experience? Time for a new gearbox?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Jon M, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Forester. We recommend having your vehicle inspected and diagnosed by a Subaru service retailer to see what can be done for you and your vehicle. The Subaru Team http://bit.ly/2WZZ8yv

Jeffasked

Hi,
I own a 2014 Subaru forester, 2.5i petrol engine and I'm wondering if I need to change the intank fuel filter or not? The car is at its 125,000 km and the fuel consumption is around 9.5 to 10.5 L/100km. I'm wondering if I change the fuel filter, I might get better mileage on gas or not? Your answer to my question is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeanette
Jeanette

Hi Jeff, Sorry I cannot help with this but a quick call to a Subaru Service centre will help with that

Ted
Ted

Hi all. My understanding is that poor fuel economy is not a symptom of a dirty fuel filter. It's more so bad idling, poor performance. That said, you can never be sure - until you replace it ! Our Forester gets the same economy numbers as yours, Jeff. Has since new, and never seems to vary. As Jeanette suggests, ask your trusted mechanic or Subaru.

Jeff

Thanks Ted and Jeanette for your responses. As fot the fuel filter, many mechanics say that you don't need to change it unless there is something wrong with it. Since the intank fuel filter for FB engines comes with the fuel pump, I have to buy the whole kit together which will cost me around $250 and $200 for labour. I'm not sure if it worth it or not but it's in the logbook to change at 125000 Kms. Anyhow, I'm more relaxed now to hear that your car's consumption is the same. Maybe I just leave it like this for a while and see what happens :)

By the way, does anyone here has issue with the oil leak from the camshaft right on top of the exhaust manifold? I'm having this issue recently and the smell is just horrible. Any ideas that the oil leak stop products could help or not? (I think it's really time for me to change my car :D)

Ronasked

Forester

Before getting to my queries, I love my MY19 Forester Premium, bought May last year, under 6500kms as I have not done any long trips and the country is now in lock down. Fuel consumption from day one worked down from 9.6l/km to 8.5l/km as the motor "ran in".

Queries
Is it possible for a front seat passenger to lock the car? (My 2013 dual cab has this security feature)
As I drive out of my home street there is a very slight ridge in the road and as I go over it there is a very minor thump. Will have the dealer check it at one year service but just ask if this would be normal with this type of suspension?
I had the impression that there was a "maximum speed" button but I have not been able to find it. It would be a pretty good feature for roadworks speed restricted areas.
The Infotainment/navigation system seems to have an obscure and sealed operating system. Can an owner put any more programs on the system? If it was Windows or Android then I could use Oziexplorer on it.
Thanks for your advice on these matters.

Ron

Angie E. received a response directly from Subaru Australia and I hoped I may be lucky with a similar response.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Ron, Thank you so much for your review and congratulations on your new Forester - a great choice!
Passengers can only lock/unlock their own door using the lock/unlock lever. With the minor thump, it is best to have your Subaru service retailer check that out for you as its difficult to say if there’s an issue without firsthand knowledge. The MY19 Forester does have a Manual Speed Limiter function which is a part of the eyesight technology so please check the Eyesight Manual and/or your dealer can also help you with it. As for the infotainment unit, it’s not possible to add any software aside from what is provided by the factory through any updates. We hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. The Subaru Team.

Many thanks

Angie E.asked

Forester S4 2.0D (2013-2018)

I took a 2016 forester diesel for a test drive, its MY17 i believe. Its a manual...and i loved how it drove! My question is, how do i know if its a 2.0D or 2.0D-L model? Does the vin number give any indication?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @Angie E., The MY17 Forester diesel comes in the 2.0D-L or 2.0D-S variants. You're welcome to private message us through Facebook or send us an email at feedback@subaru.com.au with the VIN and we can confirm for you. The Subaru Team.

Angie E.

So it would be the 2.0D L, as it doesnt have the sunroof and driver assist etc.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @Angie E., If it does not have a sunroof then yes, it would be a 2.0D-L. To be sure, it would be best to send us your VIN as previously advised. The Subaru Team.

Bob Basked

Forester S5 2.5i Premium (2018-2021)

Just upgraded from a Subaru liberty 2015 (entry model) to a 2020 Forester premium. Very happy with the vehicle in general, however the radio quality and coverage is not great. I find that I need to source new stations frequently when driving, 40-60 Km is about the range. The liberty had a good range and sound. The vehicle supplier could not assist me with this issue. Learning all the new features and instructions was a daunting task and the manuals were difficult to follow. The best source of learning was from American and Canada u tube sites. Pity the car did not come with simple video instruction, it would have saved a lot of time and stress. Love the ride and cabin comfort and low road noise.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @Bob B, Congratulations on your new Subaru! We're so glad to hear that you're happy with your Forester. All our retailers provide a free one month check and chat service for new vehicles where they can go through any concerns you have. We do appreciate your feedback about instructional videos which we will be sure to look into. Feel free to contact our Customer Relations Team if you have any other questions at feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

Bob B

Sorry, I did contact the retailer about this issue and they could not provide me with an answer, this is why I contacted Subaru Australia.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @Bob B, We're sorry to hear that your Subaru retailer was unable to assist. Just to clarify, have you contacted our Customer Relations Team already? The Subaru Team.

Jules

Julesasked

Forester S3 (2008-2012)

What's involved with the 200,000 service and how much?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @Jules, We can double check that for you if you'd like to private message us your VIN or rego details on Facebook or email us at feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

Clio

Clioasked

Forester S4 2.5i-L (2013-2018)

Does the reversing camera come with a warning sound?

Leigh F.

Leigh F.asked

why does subaroo forester 2.5p not have remote windows in Australia

Sophie M.

Sophie M.asked

Hey.

Im looking into buying a 2010 Subaru Forester MY10 2.0D 6 Speed Manual Wagon. It has 285,000 kms on the clock though. Turbo diesel model. Has anyone had any issues with this model? Or has one with similar kms'? Has a lot of km's and thats my only con to the car really! Just trying to see if its worth it or not.

Marco Niere

That’s a lot of kms and turbos can be expensive to repair and replace. Unless u get the car for next to nothing I wouldnt buy it, it’s a big risk

Marco Niere

Also I would suggest that such high KMS would mean the engine would be very old and tired and towards the end of its life, car had probably been thrashed.Definitely worth paying a bit more and get one with lower KMS AND NON TURBO! I wouldn’t pay more than $1000 for it

Clark Kent
Clark Kent

If highway kms and well serviced, (and the DPF could be a pain on these ( Diesel particulate filter))and if a low price could be plenty of life left. Diesel buyers are typically not hoons, tend to look after their cars, generally. I have seen cars with 200,000 kms that were in incredible condition. Get a independent mechanical inspection, peruse Forester owner forums, then decide.

Robert B.

Robert B.asked

Forester 79V (2002-2008)

how many keys can i reprogram for remote

Robert B.

Robert B.asked

Forester

how many keys to reprogram to remote subaru forester

Inder

Inderasked

Forester

Can anyone tell me an insurance company for Subaru wrx 04 . I got aftermarket exhaust, airfilter and BOV. My previous insurer have cancelled my policy because they can’t cover my modifications. What can I do ?

Guy S.
Guy S.

Shannon’s

Holly21

Holly21asked

Hi

I am considering buying a 2012 XT. Does anyone have this model and has 3 child booster seats in the back row? I currently have a 2013 Kia Rondo, but feel let down by many things. It claims you can fit 3 across no worries, which I guess is true. However with booster seats, there is very little room to plug in the seatbelts. I have to do it (and it hurts my hand every time) for my girls as they can't do it on their own. My eldest kept accidentally unbuckling the middle booster seat because she cannot see the buckles when she reaches in.

Can anyone help?

sarah
sarah

Hi,
I don't know as i've never tried it but I do know there is quite a lot of leg room and space in the rear seating area which is why we bought this model as we had teenage boys. The only way to be sure is to measure the amount of space three booster seats take up and take a tape measure with you when you look at one to compare if it is big enough. Good luck.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives