14Subaru Liberty

robinMetropolitan Adelaide, SA49 posts
Sophie W
Sophie WAU6 posts

Perfect

Good car and easy to drive, really cheap on fuel. Subarus are good cars because they are all wheel drive. I feel safe when I'm driving in the car and it's a reliable car to get you where you need to go, not much to fault on this car very happy

Jake
JakeMelbourne5 posts
  4GEN

Beautiful and fun car to drive - excellent power

I have had this car for 6 months and it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive. I have not had a single issue with the car, except that i drive more enthusiastically which uses more petrol! the spec-b suspension is unbelievable. Interior looks modern and up to date even though it is 10 years old design. The mcintosh sound system is OK, i installed a parrot bluetooth to add bluetooth experience.

iBennyz
iBennyzMelbourne8 posts
  Verified 4GEN

Perfect first car, very reliable

This is my first car and I love it. As the vehicle is AWD, it creates a smooth and controlled driving experience, in addition to that, the cruise control function makes driving so much easier. The interior and cosmetics of the car has a modern feel despite being a MY05 model. Unfortunately there is no bluetooth or AUX audio function, however with two cigarette lighter ports, it allows me to use a FM tuner to play music through my mobile device. It's current running cost is $55-$65 a full tank which usually lasts 1.5 weeks with day to day commutes. I've owned this car for over a month now and have had no problems.

Sonny
Sonny3 posts
  6GEN 2.5i

Pleasure to drive

We didn't know what car we wanted to replace our Ford Escape? Subaru had a pretty good deal on a car I hadn't considered. The test drive and sales man was rather good and we decided on the suburu liberty. This was exciting but we never imagined how awesome it would be until it was ours and we got to drive it permanently. It's smooth, quiet and powerful enough to be zip yet a rather decent sized car. We are a family of 5! Very spacious for what appears to be a small car. AWD once you've had if I don't think you'd ever want to go back, very happy customer !

commie
commieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA35 posts

The complete wagon

Brilliant wagon. Not luxury but everything you need, comfortable, accessible, well designed, roomy, easy to service etc. The Liberty is a simple to maintain point and shoot wagon that does what a vehicle that it is should do. I use it for everything from everday travel to going camping and skiing and it's never failed me.

Ken
KenHunter Region, NSW14 posts
  4GEN

2.5 ltr motors head gasket failure. USA forced a recall, but not here in Aus.http://forums.whirlpool

2007, 77k (as of 2017), full service. City only drive. Just told that the head is beginning to leak, 2500-3500 (some paid 6000) repair plus control arm rubber failing (price??)

This one owner car was to last my healthy aged mother till she can drive.

DONT buy any 2.5 subaru non turbo.

Ring Subaru Aus and tell them your thoughts 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST).

Blair B
Blair BSydney, NSW6 posts
  6GEN 3.6R

What an admazing car

Enough power to push you back in your seat and to make passing a snip. I really hate CVT thought Subaru would have been better going for dual clutch but heard the new tune is good, took for a test drive and was impressed and brought it. On b roads and highways I'm getting mid 8's l/100kms very nice for 3.6, flat 6 one of the few truly balaned engines so super smooth 1700rpm at 105 km. All this nice stuff aside (apart from the loud tyres) eyesight is f$@ken awsome for motorway driving, could save your skin one day also makes driving more relaxed.

Pitty the high beams are not LED, also no DRL well no fancy LED ones anyways, small sunroof from 1990's. Very happy with the car.

Irene
IreneSydney15 posts

Impressive reliable and functional

2014 model, safe all wheel drive great in the wet weather, timeless look, powerful yet doesn't guzzle fuel 95/98 petrol, comfortable seats yet sporty looking and dont feel every bump on the road. easy seats 5 people, all the extra safety features makes it a car that will stay in our family for years having just passed it down to my son.

markir
markirRaumati38 posts

Great car, surprisingly fast

Bought a 3.0R Spec B late last year. Overall pretty good car - I've owned a few Subaru turbos over the years and wanted something different (no turbo lag in particular), The 3 Litre motor is just awesome. I was shopping for an auto wagon - but when I drove the 6 speed manual I loved it. So a quick assessment:

Pluses:

- really nice 6 cylinder motor, great response, surprisingly fast

- awesome Bilstein suspension

- great 4wd

Minuses:

- a bit skittery on rough road

- sulky key remotes - won't work if it is raining!

- chassis rigidity poor - needs front strut brace

That last point is hugely significant - with the brace installed is is a different car, a pleasure to drive and confidently push into corners!

mcwins
mcwinsAU14 posts
Ashley
Ashley2 posts
  5GEN

Perfect car, couldn't be happier!

Excellent driving experience, powerful yet quiet and fuel efficient which is ideal. Interior and exterior is comfortable, tidy and modern. Only thing I would change is having a rear window wiper for cold mornings, other than that I couldn't ask for much more. So far it has treated me very well, reliable is an understatement.

1984chugs
1984chugsNSW, 200014 posts
Nikki
NikkiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC12 posts

Prefered my 2002 Subaru Manual Liberty

We love this car, it has a nice drive.. some issues I've found include clock is very small and the car is quite big which makes manouvering into small spaces difficult. Disappointed that parking sensor was an addition and only works for the rear. I wish it was still made in manual.

Louisa
Louisamelbourne5 posts

Lucy, my 2006 Tuned By STi Liberty GT

Dream car, made with care.

When Driving my 06 TBSTI, I know I'm wrapped in safety. She's spacious, comfortable, makes decent power, good on fuel and when maintained, will last for ages.

With the right child seat configuration, you can also fit 3 across. I also know, without kids seats, you can lay the rear seats down, and fit a 2seater couch in.

My Lucy has been tuned to make it more fuel efficient with an increase of power. Being 11 years old, she is getting on. But, I won't be selling her any time soon. She is my dream.

Daniel

tinkertoy
tinkertoyNSW, 200028 posts
  6GEN 3.6R

Good car.. Great road grip

Good value for money. You get almost everything that a European car offers but at an affordable price and with reliable Japanese engineering. The all wheel drive by Subaru is great and the new look is very good. It is bit more efficient than the Toyota aurion I had before this car.

The only thing I am not very impressed by is the CVT engine. It is ok but not great though it's very smooth.

I will however definitely recommend this car. I am also a Subaru fan now :)

Mitch
MitchCasino5 posts
Gopher
Gopher2 posts
  6GEN 2.5i
Garry
Garrymount gambier9 posts

A great car

Very comfortable, power to burn and surprisingly very good fuel economy(6.5ltr 100km) on the open road and averaging 8.4ltr 100km overall. Eyesight safety system is fantastic and has already saved us from an accident. Good boot size and rear legroom but rear head height is a bit tight. Rear suspension was a little spongy but this problem was fixed by Subaru pronto and at no cost. All wheel drive gives great confidence and predictability on twisty roads. It produces a bit of road noise at higher speeds but is not unbearable and is probably related to the tyre type.

Show details ·  1

mauricek
mauricekAU50 posts
Daniel
DanielAustralia20 posts
Karen Baker
Karen BakerCentral Coast NSW

2010 Subaru Liberty, we bought a Lemon

I was an avid lover of the Subaru until recently. My 5yr old 2010 Subaru Liberty, it was recently serviced at a Subaru Service Center only 9 days later it blows a head gasket and now the torque converters need replacing due to the continued stalling problem that has developed so much so that it is unsafe to drive. This car has caused us nothing but problems and the Customer service we received from Subaru Australia is appalling. I question their Customer Promise and slogan 'All for the driver" I have now been without my car for over a month. I am told the NEW Subaru Liberty's have an improved torque converter as a result of the number of problems in earlier models. This does not help me.

Very disappointing.

q812475
q812475Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC28 posts

Anthony
Anthony

Luxury and good on fuel

Very cumfy and smooth drive.large interior and trank.very good on fuel efficiency.but the annoying thing about its rattle noise and can't fold rear seat which is really upsetting...other then great car..

Charlie M
Charlie MAdelaide26 posts
mikemini1977
mikemini1977Sydney, NSW25 posts
able 01
able 01Sydney, NSW4 posts

Excellent Performer

2011 GT Wagon since new. Handling and performance is perfect, especially around corners. I can't fault the car. The interior has all the creature comforts you could wish for. My only complaint is the turbo lag or lack of throttle response around 1200rpm. It's a bit annoying when you're in traffic. I added a body kit and sports grill, tow bar and tinted windows. The new appearance is a head turner.

Cameron
CameronGosford
airlock
airlockSouth East Queensland, QLD12 posts

great wagon

2.0 petrol 2005. great car with tons of space and awd for safety. great handling with plenty of feel and grip. nice interior, cruise control is great as is dual zone air-con and a large amount of storage space in the compartments. the engine is a little weak and the car requires more frequent servicing then other alternatives, fuel economy is ok but the engine needs to be worked a little harder then some so this can impact your mpg if you like to get a hurry on. all in all a great tourer and more then capable of having some fun along the way.
space, interior, dual zone climate, awd, handling.
weak engine, high service costs. Show details
Bitpart
BitpartMetropolitan Adelaide, SA11 posts

Not one problem

2.5i sedan purchased new in 2007 and covered 65,000 km. The car drives better now than when new, smooth, quiet and handles beautifully, and I have only had regular services plus replaced tyres once, with no problems at all. Also still looks new inside and classier than many new cars that have lots of plastic trim. Downsides - petrol economy around town is not too flash compared to newer cars, although not bad on the open road. Main problem is that rear seats can't be folded down so even though the boot is large there are restrictions with longer loads.
Smooth, still feels classy, excellent handling, tours well. 4wd for those wet weather days.
Rear seats don't fold. A little thirsty. Show details
Nurse Sarah
Nurse SarahSouth East Queensland, QLD9 posts
Brianjames
BrianjamesMelbourne2 posts

Performance & safety

I have a 2010 GT Premium Liberty , owned from new and have now done 107,000 kilometers .

Regularly serviced, the only issue a front left shocker replaced under warranty, probably due to rural roads after the floods!

The original set of Potenza tyres did 97000 kilometers so even at $500 a tyre I stuck with the Potenzas

Fuel consumption on hwy runs about 8.9 l/ 100kls, put the foot down and it flies in sport# good for 200 kph, if it was legal to do that of course!

Looks, not the prettiest and very Toyotaiss, but with STI grill looks better
Power, handling safety grip in wet build quality
Looks could obe better, see what they did with the BRZ! Show details

Richard A
Richard ABrisbane
  5GEN

Quality and practical for good price

I research products to death before purchasing, I was looking at Audi A4, VW Golf, Mazda 6 and the Subaru Liberty wagon Heritage.

The Subaru became my choice as it was practical (space for camping gear) and my family.

It is rock solid on the road with excellent grip, the all wheel drive Audi was $90k!

The quality is second to none for a reasonable price, plus Subaru hold good resale value.

After 4 years owning the car, I only have one criticism that the drivers seat is bit firm, the car is perfect

Fuel economy City driving I get 9.2L/100 and the best run was 6L/100 being very gentle on the throttle.
Handling, space, quality, reliability and price
A firm drivers seat Show details ·  2

DSCZ87
DSCZ87AU

2.0 2003 Subaru Liberty

My 2003 Liberty is the best and most reliable car on the road with only 180k on the clock and only a clutch change. It has performed better than I expected, at only 101kw it can still take a Falcon or Commodore on the road.

I am very surprised with the performance for such a small engine and fuel econemy.

I recommend Subaru as a family car or for fun.

Don't forget some of the parts can be $$$, but at the end of the day its quality that lasts for a long time.
Reliable, efficient,
Parts can be expensive, but pretty well priced. Show details ·  1

stephendean
stephendean3 posts
  2GEN

A very comfortable car to drive. Very safe and reliable. A pleasure for the driver and passengers. Roomy with some very comfortable seats. Air conditioning is very good. You will finfd that this car is very economical especially on the open road. You will get up to 780km per tank. Tank being 60 litres in size.

Everything is easy to reach from the driving position.

It handles very well on the road and the brakes will stop it safely and quickly. This car is value for money and you will find that it is not that expensive to have this car serviced, and it will give you many years of reliable motoring.
Comfortable, economical