Subaru Outback 5GEN 3.6R

Subaru Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Subaru Outback 5GEN 3.6R 2020 and Subaru Outback 5GEN 3.6R 2022.

2 questions from our users

graemeasked

Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021)

I am a very happy Subaru owner during the last 12years and during the last 5 years a 2015 3.6 R premium outback. This car is outstanding and easily the best car i have owned in approximately 50 years of driving various makes and models. The Outback has a great power to weight ratio, superb driving / handling characteristics, comfortable, able to handle reasonably serious off road conditions, has a great Harmon Kardon stereo and lots of nice tech ( do yourself a favor and check out the spec,s on this vehicle )
Another great attribute with this Outback 3.6 R is it runs on ordinary 91Ron unleaded petrol. the best economy I have achieved is 7.6 litres per 100kl,s. It is not to difficult to achieve around 8.4 to 9.5 average with sensible driving.
I have recently considered upgrading my Subaru Outback to the newest model, a bit more refined, more power maybe ,upgraded tech, suspension and so on. Not a big ask for Subaru. Wrong ! ! ! Very wrong.
Trying to get real information about the new 2021 Subaru Outback is akin to pulling teeth, however I believe the new model only has a 2,5 litre engine and ( your kidding us ) no turbo available. The crazy part is they have increased the tow value from 1800 KG,s to 2000 KGs. REALLY.
Subaru, you may have known what you were doing, but what were you thinking. you have made a major blunder ( in my opinion) by robing your customers of owning a Subaru with decent, safe power.
It appears that to own a 3.6 Outback now the 2020 model is the last available. Very sad. So, get onto the car sales websites, have your money handy and buy one . you won,t regret it.
Graes

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Graeme, Thank you so much for your review. We know that there is a great appreciation for the 3.6R model in the Outback. While it may not be an available option in the new Outback, we're constantly working with the factory in Japan about future possibilities for us. We recently released specs and pricing on the 2021 Outback which you can check out here but there will be more to come as we get closer to its release in March. The Subaru Team.

graeme

Thanks Subaru Australia for your reply. I look forward to Subaru Japan having a light bulb moment and re-introducing the 3.6 engine or similar in 2022 . We should not be limited to underpowered smaller engines that do not cut the mustard, especially when towing/overtaking. People will pay a premium price for a premium vehicle / engine combination.
I hope we get the goods in 2022.
Graes.

Alan

Alanasked

Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021)

The power and torque figures of 129kW and 235Nm under details are incorrect for the 3.6

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives