Subaru Outback

Subaru Outback (page 4 of 9)

3GEN, 4GEN, 2GEN, 5GEN

• Features
Trying to help

Trying to helpSydney

Just love it

Handling on this car is superb, great handling on snow, dirt, mud and the road.
The interior is great, all leather options, easy to find, easy to use, everything is right at the drivers touch. Both sunroofs are great. Legroom in the front is great, for the longer legged people leg space in the back is mediocre.
Climate controlled heater/air conditioner which automatically senses where it needs to go and you can manually override it if you need to.
Middle seatbelt in the back is not great, it is a unique style being pulled from the roof lining.
Average of 10 litres per 100Kms which is great for a 3 litre petrol engine.

BadgeH6 Luxury
Date PurchasedMay 2014
Mark

MarkMount Victoria NSW

Sturdy but has weak points

Date PurchasedJan 2015

ElbearBrisbane

Problems with city driving

Dpf light goes to flashing as soon as oil dilution level gets to 10% which requires oil change and reset the sensor ($220). This happened within 2000 kms of similar problem caused by perforated hose ($995) while still under warranty and having only done 64000 kms, with a lot of long kms as well. Apparently I'm driving the car too gently. I was advised to push it harder and take off at lights a bit harder. Not happy.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Elbear

still taking up the case with subaru who have responded by saying that the car is ONLY suitable for longer distances and higher loads.
Unfortunately i was not made aware of this when i purchased the car.

Lane

LaneNorth West, QLD

All the bells and whistles

A beautiful car to drive, smooth, easy and quiet. The cruise feature is excellent if not a little space age. The car drives and brakes itself. Lots of room inside front and back. I especially like the electric controls for adjusting the seat and I love the seat warmer excellent for a bad back. Average running costs, however services are expensive.
The only problem I've come across is now and again I can't gain access to my car. It is keyless using a hand print and it simple doesn't work, frustrating but eventually it gives in. A lovely car that I love but I wouldn't get a keyless car again.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
John

JohnAdelaide

Great all round family car

I've had the car coming up about a year. It's been a great daily driver. Boot is plenty for a family of 4. Back seats have plenty of room and so do the front. Engine is adequate for every day drivingand returns 8.5ltr per 100km in suburban driving. Eye sight is a breath of fresh air and I'm thankful for buying a car with it.

Sound system could be better other than that it's a good reliable buy.

The only vehicle that i could see coming close to this would be a kia sportage in diesel form.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Never again...

I will never buy a Subaru again. Since day 1 the car has had a terrible hick up and every service we have complained about it, and every service all we get is the computer didn't pick up any problems..grrrr had the car almost 2 years now and it's getting worse and worse...are they just hoping nothing will happen before the warranty runs out. Also we were not told the diesel outback was not for short distance driving...now the warning light comes on all the time because we are not driving far enough every day for the car to do its burn...so every 3 months it costs us an extra $300 to get the stupid light turned off and new oil put in. Not happy jan...over the service and dealers. Never again.

Badge(No Badge)

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Tim

Tim

I love this car

I have the premium model which along with leather seats and sunroof has a few extras which are great to have. So far the car handles perfectly and would be my choice for people looking at a reliable car at this price range. Have previously had a Subaru Forester and was happy with the engine over time so not expecting any issues there.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Matthew8

Matthew8Adelaide

Once you go Subaru, you never go back

Date PurchasedJun 2017

A-R

A-RNSW, 2065

The Perfect All-rounder!

The AWD system on the Subaru Outback is excellent, the eyesight system is amazing, especially on long haul drives. The cargo space is much better than the Forester. The 2.0L Diesel motor from Subaru gets you around 700kms a tank, which is great. X-mode on the Subaru Outback is another awesome feature when going offroad.

Badge2.0D Premium
Date PurchasedSep 2016
FlamedTofu

FlamedTofuGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great car, very solid

I bought this car second hand, and have found it to be a great reliable car which is very solid, unfortunately it had previously been involved in an accident with a truck which collided with the drivers door, however to it's credit only the door was damaged, there was no ripples or any other damage to other parts of the body, a door from the wreckers had it back to as good as new. a very solid and reliable car

Badge2.5i
Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Lachlan

Lachlan

Best all round car.

I love my Subaru Outback diesel. It's easy to achieve 6L per 100ks. It's about $60 to fill the tank and I get about 1000ks out of the tank with my mostly highway driving. I have taken the car off road and never had a problem getting where I need to go. My favourite feature is the adaptive cruise control. With all the highway driving I do it's the best thing ever!! I've done 45,000ks and the tyre still have half the tread left. The only issue I've had was the 12v socket needed to be replaced and was done so free under warranty. The service cost is about $400 every 6 months they clean the car and give me a free loaner. Great service at crossroads Subaru in Glendale.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Phil

Phil

Great car

There's a little bit of deadness around centre steering wheel which is great for offroading. This car has so much grip on the loose dirt, it's amazing. The torque figures are great and makes going up hills or over small banks (under 30 cm for ride height) excellent. The AWD is a load of fun. Inside comfort is great, as good as I've ever had. The clutch is of decent weighting, not too heavy but not light either - about the same as a Commodore or Camry.
Glad I bought it

Badge2.5i
Date PurchasedJan 2017
Rex

Rex

Solid vehicle

Great car, extremely well built.
You don't realise how poor some cars are bolted together until you drive a Subaru.
Not the most powerful cars or the most efficient however they are a rugged design.
Bought Outback after Forester became too small.
Would definitely buy another, pity they no longer have frameless doors.

Date PurchasedFeb 2011
Sen

Sen

Excellent family car

Bought an outback for the extra space after I had my 2nd child. Lots of room in the boot to fit all baby items when going to holidays. Plenty of room for the front passemger even with rear facing car seat in the back.
Very smooth to drive and during gear changes. Lots of safety features keep the family safe eg. Lane departure. Decent on petrol around town amd excellent on the highway.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

sym

symSydney

Subaru outback 2016

The performance is good, and this version gets more technical staff.
Eyesight is pretty smart, and can improve safety. it can auto start/stop to avoid accident. Usually I set the speed for 60Km, and then follow the car in front of me. it'll keep the proper speed to make sure no over speeding.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
BBB

BBBVictoria

Good four wheel drive

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic AWD vechile

I find the new Subaru Outback (Premium 2.5lt) at the mid 40k price point very very hard if not impossible to beat when all other manufacturers are stacked up against it.
Like so many others on this forum i found that this vechile with its technology and 5 star safety systems was miles ahead of the competion and build quality is second to none.
Compliant comfortable frugal on fuel and abundant space i challenge anyone looking for a practical stylish safe and above all reliable AWD SUV to do better.
FANTASTIC CAR !!!

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Markmd01

Markmd01South East Queensland, QLD

How much better can an affordable car get???

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Ant

AntMacquarie Park

Best Subaru Ever By Far

I have driven Subaru's since 2001. They have always had something special about them, but I noticed over time other brands had not only caught up but were exceeding the Subaru on most levels. Seeing the newly designed Outback, I had expectations of a small improvement over previous generations. Boy was I wrong! This generation is such a big change in every way. The quality of build, the quietness in the cabin, the safety features, the entertainment system, everything is automatic and you are now even warned when your washer fluid is low. I am not saying the Subaru is more advanced than other cars, it has just finally caught up in one big leap. I love this car and think it's the first one I will hang on to for quite some time. 5 Stars.

Badge3.6R Premium
Date PurchasedMar 2017

graemeasked

Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021)

I am a very happy Subaru owner during the last 12years and during the last 5 years a 2015 3.6 R premium outback. This car is outstanding and easily the best car i have owned in approximately 50 years of driving various makes and models. The Outback has a great power to weight ratio, superb driving / handling characteristics, comfortable, able to handle reasonably serious off road conditions, has a great Harmon Kardon stereo and lots of nice tech ( do yourself a favor and check out the spec,s on this vehicle )
Another great attribute with this Outback 3.6 R is it runs on ordinary 91Ron unleaded petrol. the best economy I have achieved is 7.6 litres per 100kl,s. It is not to difficult to achieve around 8.4 to 9.5 average with sensible driving.
I have recently considered upgrading my Subaru Outback to the newest model, a bit more refined, more power maybe ,upgraded tech, suspension and so on. Not a big ask for Subaru. Wrong ! ! ! Very wrong.
Trying to get real information about the new 2021 Subaru Outback is akin to pulling teeth, however I believe the new model only has a 2,5 litre engine and ( your kidding us ) no turbo available. The crazy part is they have increased the tow value from 1800 KG,s to 2000 KGs. REALLY.
Subaru, you may have known what you were doing, but what were you thinking. you have made a major blunder ( in my opinion) by robing your customers of owning a Subaru with decent, safe power.
It appears that to own a 3.6 Outback now the 2020 model is the last available. Very sad. So, get onto the car sales websites, have your money handy and buy one . you won,t regret it.
Graes

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Graeme, Thank you so much for your review. We know that there is a great appreciation for the 3.6R model in the Outback. While it may not be an available option in the new Outback, we're constantly working with the factory in Japan about future possibilities for us. We recently released specs and pricing on the 2021 Outback which you can check out here but there will be more to come as we get closer to its release in March. The Subaru Team.

graeme

Thanks Subaru Australia for your reply. I look forward to Subaru Japan having a light bulb moment and re-introducing the 3.6 engine or similar in 2022 . We should not be limited to underpowered smaller engines that do not cut the mustard, especially when towing/overtaking. People will pay a premium price for a premium vehicle / engine combination.
I hope we get the goods in 2022.
Graes.

Melanie S.

Melanie S.asked

Outback

Does the new model come with a 7 seat option?

tinkertoy
tinkertoy

No, not this one. I don’t think Subaru has a seven seat option, at least in Australia.

MansfieldJohno
MansfieldJohno

Jolene Cathrine M.asked

Outback 3GEN (2003-2009)

Im looking at buying a 2007 Outback D/Range MY07 with 165k on the odometer. Will mostly be driven around town, with an occasional bush road drive to go camping, gold detecting, fosicking. Will have my mechanic inspect before I buy, but is there anything I need to watch for? Thank you.

Linda Maree
Linda Maree

I’m sorry I’m unable to answer this question

M M
M M

Hi Jolene

We had an older Outback (2001/2002 from memory?) and prior to this an even older Subaru 'wagon' (didn't have a model name) so not too sure about the 2007. A couple friends of mine had the 2007/8 though and they, like us, kept driving theirs until the cars' old age.

We loved our old one so much. So solidly built and we felt safe in it. We do most of our driving around town - inner city and suburbs. The bush road drives were nice and we never felt like it would let us down (unlike the new electronic ones). It had an amazing (Irving?) bullbar fitted on the front and was a dream to drive away and for long distances.

The only thing for us is as it aged and did higher Ks on the clock, the value decreased so much and when it came to a major service and inevitable replacement of some operational engine parts (can't remember which one/s) but it became too cost-exhaustive, around the same amount as the whole car was worth. So that was the only thing that got us to buy a whole new car. Prior to that, not much went wrong or cost too much mechanically.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 8 Subaru Outback
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price A$41,345A$48,052A$54,877A$44,023
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT) and Manual
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolDiesel
  • Sunroof
Ground Clearance213 mm213 mm213 mm213 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,800 kg1,700 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateDec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014