Subaru WRX V1

Subaru WRX V1

Best car ever!

I bought this car brand new in Feb 2017. it is my favourite car i have owned. i drive it everyday to work & around on weekends. Very comfortable to drive & great power. It has 3 different driving modes which i enjoy using. I would definitely recommend subaru to anyone buying a car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

WRX STI premium (2017).

Subaru has come along way with the STI. I'm using it as a daily even, its very safe easy to drive and looks great inside and out. Cabin has come a long way, I found it nicer than Benz CLA models. Fuel economy could be better (10L/100km) but not complaining based on performance.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Got the car retuned at https://msengineering.com.au/ WAAAYYYY better car, 30% more power, 40% more torque, far more responsive. Average fuel consumption now consistently under 9L combined, most city driving as a daily. Very happy with this car now.

WRX STi

The WRX STi is a great looking car and subaru have it down pat. They are not only a smart company but make good quality bang for buck cars. The STi is a little thirsty similar to a V8 engine. I found the paint work needs attention and the fact you cant do much more to the engine. I think it needs more TQ, otherwise a great overall car.

BadgeSTI
Date PurchasedNov 2017

Its a very fun car, expensive to maintain

Great car, great fun. My main complaints are fuel economy which you'd expect from a turbo boxer motor anyway, and the fact that the rear seats don't fold (I had expected this was just a standard for all cars! So my fault). Only buy one of these if you can afford the upkeep. Otherwise great - sporty, sounds great, looks super nice in my option.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Nearly killed grandparents.

Front drive belt broke, engine blew up, no warning light, lost steering , nearly killed grandparents.All happened within minutes. 100,000ks Bought 2010. always serviced at Subaru. Front drive belt should have been replaced at 48 months. Instead they said 125,000ks. Head office wont take the blame nor will Geoff King seller and mechanic. Not our fault!! We have done everything. Body immaculate , engine dead and said will cost $13,000 for new engine, who is in the wrong, not us?????

Date PurchasedOct 2010

Was my dream car...ended up trading it.

Finally purchased my dream car, a 2015 WRX CVT Premium in August 2016. Unfortunately I didn't have a great experience with the vehicle and traded it in on another car in the end.

To give you some background, I did buy it second hand, however the car had previously had one fussy owner, low kms and was bought through a dealership in the country that I had previously had good experiences with.

Reliability Issues:
For 12 months the car was fine, until September 2017, when my husband noticed it was leaking oil. I took it to my local trusted mechanic, just for a look over, and they quickly advised me to take it to Subaru as their opinion was that the sump was leaking and the engine would need to be removed to get at the problem. They advised this wasn't a common problem (in their opinion) and was possibly going to be a $1600-$2000 fix if not done through warranty.

As the car was under warranty I booked it in with a Subaru dealer, who diagnosed the same problem. The dealer I went through was great and said the problem I had was rare, involved a bit of work, but was certainly fixable. I'd just been unlucky.

The dealer fixed the sump issue, but unfortunately there had been a problem with the engine when it was fitted back and the dealer had to order me a new one for the vehicle. This was all done fairly quickly and efficiently, and the dealer never, at any stage, argued about warranty items or baulked at doing any of the work. Parts were ordered and replaced as needed.

A further complication arose when the ECU wouldn't play ball with the new engine, so another ECU was ordered and this took around 10 weeks to come in. All in all the car was with the dealer for 3 months and the dealer gave me a new loan car and kept me up to date on the progress of the vehicle.

During that time there had also been a recall on the 2015's for a subwoofer wiring loom issue (potential to catch fire if something pressed up against loom) so I had that fixed too, during it's stay.

Finally got the WRX back, and whilst driving to work one day, the car suddenly had the check engine light come on and several lights started flashing at me on the dash along with a nice beeping sound. I called the dealer and was advised that it was most likely a sensor that had come out of it's parameters. Was told to bring it in asap and they would fix it. I did exactly that, and the fix took 5 minutes if that.

Car appeared to be fine for another 3 weeks, until I noticed oil on the floor of the garage again. I took it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a transmission leak (from pump) and said they had just had a 2015 WRX CVT in the previous week with a bigger transmission leak...my car was now the second one they had seen with this issue.

They fixed that transmission leak for me and gave me another loan car whilst this occurred. This was actually the turning point for me as I liked the loan car they gave me so much that I went and bought one...traded the WRX in as soon as I picked it up from dealer.

Along with the reliability issue, the car didn't have heaps of warranty left and it had cost me a decent chunk of lost time from work (with the to and fro to the dealership) that I had become a bit tired of it all.

Good aspects:
Performance in spades-you really didn't have to put your foot down much to get the car going. It made passing on highways look easy and it was super nimble around town.
Good looks-I liked the slightly euro styling of this model WRX, I felt it had nice lines and looked pretty swish.
Fuel economy: I was getting around 9L/100km before engine was changed. Went up to 9.4L/100km after engine was changed.

Bad aspects:
Reliability-as above.
Ordinary tyres from factory-changed the Dunlops to Michelins as soon as I could. Improved ride a little. The Dunlops were not great in the wet, whereas the Michelins were wonderful.
Busy and often jarring ride-when you went over an ordinary bit of road you knew about it. As the driver of the car I accepted this and knew the car would be like this when I bought it...it's a WRX. However, many of my passengers didn't love it and one disliked it so much they never wanted to go anywhere in it. This and the reliability issue were ultimately the deciding factors in trading the Rex.

I still give the car 3 stars though, as it is a fun drive for those who don't mind the hard, busy ride, and don't experience the same issues I did. I just had "one of those cars" I think.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Love my Rex

From the initial test drive at the showroom to the waiting for my car to his Oz shores & road I have enjoyed the experience of buying this vehicle. The Subaru Premium WRX has every bell and whistle you can imagine, standard. I opted for the WRX rather than WRX STi because I didn't feel that I needed the extra performance, nor would I use it properly. It's not great on fuel economy but really, who cares?! It's fun to drive and looks beautiful. The service has been great too, literally at the service centre, the crew are friendly & professional. Don't expect a smooth ride, it's bouncy, everything is sharp & tight but it feels rally so enjoy the experience. 10 out of 10 for me & I haven't looked back. The only tricky thing was insuring an MY18 vehicle being purchased in August 2017... but I did it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Good car but has a few issues

Pros:

Reasonably fast for a sedan when the gearbox decides it want to play ball.

Great handling depending on tires. Stock were sticky but after swapping then out it started to slide a bit but was more fun.

Decent interior with basic options and a half decent sound system.

Looks great on the outside, the paint looks solid and good quality.

All round fun car when it decides it's in a good mood.

Cons:

The automatic gearbox is all over the place. It has varied in the time I've had it, after a number of updates they have done, but overall it can be annoying when it decides to redline under a slight but bit gad then suddenly drop down to 2k RPM.

Can be very noisy inside, they installed a bunch of foam in the first year to fix the rattles which must be common issue as they had them all on hand and cut out for the various parts.

Stiff ride but never a problem on most Brisbane road luckily.

Occasionally makes a loud rattling sound under acceleration then blows smoke and loses power. Never have been able to get this fixed by the dealer.

Seats are not made for taller people and can be pretty uncomfortable during long commutes.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Such a performance vehicle

I have the hatchback in black from 2013 with a custom exhaust

At first I thought is this car actually safe? But that Subaru boxer engine can get me through anything
Yes petrol is a bit more dear but I cannot deny that it’s worth it
Enough boot space for a pram and expanding family

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great daily driver + weekend fun!

Great value car for someone who is looking for a good mix between a relatively comfortable daily drive and great thrills along the way on weekends. The only thing I wish they did better was an improved headunit, which the one of the 2015 model is somewhat dated and laggy. Fuel economy is decent for the power you get but you would still be looking at an average of 9-10L/100 in peak hr traffic, however it easily gets down to 6-7L/100km on highway so that's preeeety good. 10/10 no regrets :)

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Awesome car, if the quality was there...

As mentioned before, it's clear that Subaru's efforts into the VA chassis has been focused primarily on the drive-train, as everything else around it is of sub-par quality. So far I haven't had any mechanical issues (as seems to be the case with a lot of owners) sitting on around 36,000 km's. However, with the very thin paint that grace these cars (which appears to be a Subaru trend) you would think it has traveled well over 100,000 km's with heavy usage of freeway driving. Which is inexcusable for a car of this price range. Sure, there is paint protection films & ceramic coatings to somewhat prevent this for more $ on top of the $50k+ you've just spent, but that is beyond the the point & at the end of the day it is still a major disappointment, hence my 3 star rating.

Without repeating too much of what has already been said about this generation WRX, there is of course the common rattly, noisy interior which is no doubt amplified in the STi but somewhat expected to an extent, considering the nature of this model which is easily forgiven. However the almost straight-out-of-the-factory side bolster wear to the leather seats, which was already apparent at just 14,500 km's on my example is pathetic. Then there is the intermittent blue tooth connectivity issues, passenger seat seatbelt alarm chime going off for no reason etc. etc. the list could go on, but on the positive side it's nothing that can't be rectified.

All in all, the driveability & performance of this car in my opinion feels like it is worthy of the price tag it is given new & with the looks to match. I will no doubt enjoy it while it continues to run hassle-free & the compliments it receives, though if I was to consider purchasing another Subaru again in the near future, I would be very wary. It's just unfortunate that the negatives outweigh the positives of this model as I do have a soft spot for it. One can only hope that the next generation WRX receives a major improvement in quality!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

wrx great car

car great customer service very poor free gps updates but if you get your car serviced elsewhere no free gps updates so you have to pay xtra for service to get free gps updates ha ha spoke to subaru aust said same thing so buy garmin and fit on dash

Date PurchasedJan 2016

My favourite car ever.

I recently brought a Subaru WRX and am so glad I have.
The driving on it is so smooth and perfect running. Never a wrong noise.
My leather seats are so comfy and silky feeling always nice and cool.
It doesnt cost me to much to run in petrol and always drives smoothly and quickly.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Engine failure just out of warranty.

What an expensive exercise and how incredibly disappointed we are with Subaru WRX.
Car never driven hard, always garaged , very low Milage , missed one service and told us it had no oil...which was not true as was first thing we checked and no warning lights, but of course they say what they want. I will stir very far away from this company.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

I love my WRX

Have been craving for a turbo car since I was in Uni. Finally I can afford to buy one after driving a corolla for almost 10 years.
I have the updated MY15 with better wheels and head unit.
Can't fault the engine as it is very powerful. The grip is insane.
Although the interior trim is all black but I still find it very airy and bright inside. I have plenty of headroom at the front but struggle with legroom a bit at the back

The headlight can be brighter
the DRL looks ugly
The rear suspension can be a bit too stiff while going through the carpark humps. It can be a bit unsettle at times
The engine and exhaust can be a bit quiet without modifying it
Brakes feel a bit soft (MY18 has this fixed)
Gear shift is good but my car will have some difficulty getting into first and 2nd in hot days
Stock dunlop tyre is too noisy. Waiting to get rid of them but they do provide very good grip
All the above I can adjust myself to accommodate it. Not a big deal.

No fault so far after 30000km. Averaging around 9.5L/100km which is great (not based on the trip computer). Go as low as 8.5 with some highway driving

Date PurchasedDec 2015

This car is good for everyday life.

Car looks good. Drives ok. But There is some issue with it. I have bought a premium my17. Subaru should add the Spoiler, brembo brake and 18" wheel on the premium. It shouldn't be cost extra. The car suspension is not very good. Fog light is warm white light. They should make it similar to the headlight. Premium should comes with the heated seat. But it is not. Didn't like the automatic system for dipper (highbeam). Already driven 9000 kms. Didn't give any trouble yet. A real head turner. Feel proud to own one.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Service very very poor

I took my subaru wrx sti 2015 for a service they told me that my engine mounts needed changeing after 2 months still waiting on engine mounts to come from overseas.i rang up service several times and still nothing they just keep saying we are still waiting on parts to arrive from overseas this is a very poor customer service from subaru

BadgeSTI
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Fantastic balance of practicality and performance

Great car, upgraded from 2 door sports coupe and gained functionality without any loss of driving enjoyment. Great on fuel consumption and average 7L/100km while highway cruising. It obviously will consume more once you put your right foot down heavier. The only downside is that cabin noise is above average and ride suspension is stiffer than most cars. Subarus service pricing is also higher than its competitors, roughly 700 per year, sometimes higher.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Good Engine. Poor bell & Whistles - extraordinarily pathetic service from both Subaru Australia

Good performance. Poor Service from Subaru Australia and the dealership Subaru Toowong. It is just not worth the pain. The car is just under two years old, but I have been taking it back constantly to get issues fixed (security system, Informant Unit, Sat Nav, leaking transmission, ...the list goes on). Have had couple of meetings with Dealer in Principle of Subaru Toowong - his stand is - "We cannot afford to be considerate towards customers inconvenience". Service station keeps blaming Subaru Australia and Subaru Australia customer services says your Dealership is providing you poor service. Can't get anyone to be hold accountable. Everytime they attempt to fix something either the issue still stays or they break something else. Service station has got very unskilled technicians - they are very quick to deny any issues until you get around and prove them wrong - very very very painful experience.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Fantastic vehicle!

Fantastic performance - I was looking for a fast car and now I've got it! Absolutely love everything about the WRX. The interior is so refined and detailed. The memory seat setting makes life so much easier as my husband drives my car often and I'm constant having to adjust the seats. The exterior of the car is so sleek and refined. The old WRX's were definitely a boy-racer type of car but this model is elegant.

Date PurchasedMar 2017