Subaru XV G4X

Great buy

I commute to work and drive close to 100kms a day. Smooth drive and love its intelligent cruise control. Not a great fan of the lane assist due to the fact that it only detects solid lines on the road. Very very fuel efficient.

Purchased in January 2019 for $33,000.00.

Comfort

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

TransmissionAutomatic
Comfort

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

Comfort

Great car, bit small for a family

Great car, moves well. Nice to drive unless hill assist is on then very sluggish. Pity it doesn't come in turbo diesel. Auto cruise control is great. Crash assist sometimes pulls the car up unessecary which can be frustrating

Purchased in January 2018.

TransmissionAutomatic
Comfort

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJun 2012

So happy with XV!! Excellent AWD

Decided to upgrade our car from sedan to small SUV. Did all our works to find right car.
Young family with two kids who love camping, so our priority is good safety rating, good leg room @ back seat, fuel efficiency and good luggage space.

Our finalists are Subaru XV and Mazda CX3. When we went to showroom to test drive we decided to go with XV. So happy with our choice.

Not much luggage space is our only negative, but purchased roof pod and during camping time just fix the pod and issue solved.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Still going strong

My XV was bought in 2012 when it first released in Australia. I was one of the lucky ones to drive the first shipment stock. After 6 years of driving it around, it still going strong without any machinically issue. It is so reliable that I decided not to upgrade it to the second generation XV. The CVT works very well with the 2.0 engine. I never use it for any towing so the CVT and 2.0 engine are just perfect for my daily urban travel and sometimes rural adventures. I guess my biggest dislike is the price to update the GPS but it is no big deal as Google Map is always there in my phone.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

What a disgraceful automobile.

Back in 2013 I purchased a brand new Subaru XV for my wife’s birthday. This was after a few years of driving a car that spent more time on the back of a tow truck than on the road. As you can imagine she was very happy. Wind forward 5 years, that car has now done a massive 44336 kms. Less than 9000 kms per year. A few weeks ago this car went for its longest drive, nearly 3hours. Unfortunately the car didn’t make its final destination as the CVT gearbox expired. I have now got a car that doesn’t work, but the Subaru dealership where I purchased the car wants to hit me for $10k to repair this issue. The car has had all of its services as per the log book. As the dealership touched me up on the first service, I used another A grade mechanic who I trust. Now the dealership will not cover or even discuss this disgusting excuse for a car. Trying to discuss with Subaru, however I am not allowed to have the report from the dealership on the condition of my car. This is getting very nasty. And this after what I am reading on what is quiet obviously a problem with the gearbox. Gee we bought the Subaru because of the legendary toughness and durability of the brand. NEVER AGAIN SUBARU!!!!

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Really Disappointed

Bought Our XV New from a Dealer as we had a really Bad Experience with a Nissan X-Trail and as had previously owned Many Subaru's in or 30 years of Driving and were really Happy with our choice for a while. We have spent incredibly amounts of money since our Warranty has expired. Being now a 4 year car and only 100,000 km on the speedo we are looking at seriously Trading it in.
The air conditioning never seem to work properly from day one and cost us lots to fix after numerous times telling the Dealer initially of the problem in the early years of purchase and various parts replaced it still has issues. The CV's Both Front have been replaced.
And the really disappointing thing is the price you pay for such a car which honestly does not hold up to the Subaru Brand. Never buying a Subaru again as we are really disappointed with the vehicle.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Unhappy with car shudders at low speed

I bought a 2017 Subaru XV Premium edition and it has had a fault from day 1. The car shudders at low speed almost to the point where it nearly stalls, especially taking off from lights. It makes for tough driving when in peak hour traffic. I took the car to a Subaru Service Centre and they acknowledged the problem however told me that it is a known issue but cannot be fixed. I was told by the Manager that the car is new and it's still learning and that it will hopefully go away. After having the car for 6 months and just over 6,000k's the matter is getting worse not getting better. I contacted Subaru Australia and was basically told to GO AWAY.

I am very unhappy with the service that I have received so far from Subaru Australia, I clearly do not understand how a dealership can sell new cars with a known fault and get away with it.

I am like all the others, have spent a lot of money on a car that will never be right.

My previous car was a Toyota and I never had this much trouble with a Toyota Car or Toyota Australia, pity I switched makers.

Badge2.0i Special Edition
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Stylish & Economical

I am so happy with this car. It is so economical the fuel tank lasts so long compared to previous cars. It is really smooth to drive. The interior is sleek and although it may not seem like there is enough room it fits my car seat, pram & dog on holidays including or luggage. It is quite spacious. I mainly bought this car for the look but I couldn’t be happier with the way it runs and it makes me feel very safe as a bit higher up as I have been in a car accident previously. If I ever purchase another car it will definitely be from Subaru!

Date PurchasedMar 2016

love my car

It was time for a quality car. I'm 50 now so stylish luxury it had to be. I specifically wanted beige interior and thankfully Subaru delivered. This car drives smooth and makes every journey a pleasure. The dark tint is beautiful and the instrumentation is easy on the eye. Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Easy to drive, economical high clearance car

I live in a country area with worn, potholed dirt roads with high centres that occasionally flood. The high clearnce of this car is ideal, it handles very well in all conditions and so far is reliable .

I downsized from an Xtrail and it occassionally feels a bit small for carrying gear, but it is a smaller grade of car.

It has also devolped the strangest internal squeaks, which are not mechanical.

Otherwise a great little car - 6.9l per 100k without aircon, 7.4l per 100k with aircon.

No complaints, a well engineered car that is a pleasure to drive in all weathers.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
UPDATE - I am still happy with the car, it drives well and the clearance is great... BUT... the paint job leaves a lot to be desired. I have never had a car where my soft unmanicured figernails have scretchedt the paint (multiple times), by the drivers side door handle. What are they using? Never happenned in 7 years with my Xtrail.

Bit expensive, but good drive

I had this car for almost 3 years now. I believe car was expensive at the time of purchase whem compared to competitors. However, I am happy with mild off road use. Ride is bit hard on free way. Good as a used car because quality will be ok for long term use

Date PurchasedMar 2014

CVT problems commenced 98 000ks

Having purchased a used 2012 XV May 2015 (77.000ks), I began to experience bunny hopping at low speeds and multiple globes needing constant replacement.

I reported this at each regular vehicle service (always a subaru service centre) and the bunny hopping not only continued, but escalated as the months dragged on.

FINALLY, at the service towards the end of 2017, a computer fault code was displayed and the problem was found!! ... sadly the repair of CVT and wiring harness replacement necessary has cost me close to $6000 and loads of stress and inconvenience.

Subaru Australia has refused any reimbursement of repair cost ... time to take this unfair situation to a higher authority. I'm so tired of the little man losing out to big enterprise.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

It is a perfect car.

The feel-good drive of the year, the all-new Subaru XV has been completely reimagined for a smoother and roomier ride while delivering gripping performance on the road. Superb production design brings more tech, more efficiency and more fun than ever before. The all-new Subaru XV stars more of your favourite features as standard, All-Wheel Drive, advanced technology for increased fuel efficiency, a super large touchscreen.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

I love it!

The driving experience is just ok, the handling is fantastic. I love the interior, it has a reverse camera but the downside is it doesn’t beep when you are in reverse to let you know you are too close. It’s stylish inside and out, th is another downside with the bootspace...not big enough!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Worst performing Japanese car I owned

This is the worst Japanese car I had. We traded in our 2002 Honda Jazz for a 2012 Subbie XV when it first came out. In the 5 years of ownership I had the following replaced
- 1x CVT Auto gear box in its 5th year ($3400) Out of Warranty
- 1x Leaking front right suspension ($600) Out of Warranty
- 1x Front left control arm bushing failing ($700) Out of Warranty
- 2x Battery wearing out in year 3 and year 5 ($800) Out of Warranty
- 1x CV Joint ($600) Out of Warranty
- 1x Rear Wheel Bearing ($500) Out of Warranty
- 2x Rear boot piston not lifting (Repaired during warranty period)
- 1x Automatic Ignition relay (Repaired during warranty period)
- 2x4 Tyres only lasting 20,000km ($600x2)
- 10x$100 door dent repairs. The panels are that soft, even a 4 year can put a dent by leaning on it. Subbie's doors are made of Tofu!!!

So you know what the Irony was? We traded in our Subbie last week, and I did a check on QLD's Rego site and guess what? Our 2002 Honda Jazz is still running and the current owner of that car has the Rego of a 2002 Honda extended to 2018.

I will NEVER buy a Subaru AGAIN!!!

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Not good value for money

I have now owned my XV 2.0-S for just on one year, so I am doing this review
These are my findings.
The CAR is Totally overrated and overpriced
Under powered also mechanically as well as road noisy
Rides & handles similar to a 1955 Bedford truck
Weird electrics, useless voice recognition and what a ridiculous stop/start mechanism
Good GPS but you have to pay for updates not what we were told
The interior is leather and plastic and not a good presentation
Petrol consumption to your own imagination not what you are expecting
Less boot space than a Honda Jazz/Suzuki Swift, will not fit two small suit cases
Ridiculous Service regime vehicle at 13,000ks.
3 services, cost to date $1000.00 next service $500.00?
So much for cap price servicing ($299) obviously does not exist here in the West
Beware if buying any Subaru as service requirements are the same for warranty requirements
Reliability well the car is still going but at the running costs so it should be
Subaru just won’t
do

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Pure Japanese car

The car has good performance especially on semi auto gear, as Subaru XV has Boxer engine which more powerful than others same class. This car is 100% made in Japan where overall had quality of Japanese technology. Interior is very good, plenty leg room for passengers and also plenty boot room for surf board with folding rear seat. Running costs not to bad, 5.6L /100I'm. Overall luv this car good for off road.

Purchased in November 2014 for $37,600.00.

Comfort

My 2012 Subaru XV is tomorrow getting it’s 3rd engine in less than 50,000km. I brought the car new and have nothing but issues - never again. I guess my question here is has anyone else had as much drama??
why has it been replaced each time? Mine had an oil leak under warranty needing to remove the engine to resell the cam carriers. After that it had a ticking noise that was found to be a bent camshaft. Engine out again and new camshaft installed. Now running well at 80,000 kmsWe bought our 2012 Subaru XV in March 2015. It ran like a charm, clocking up 110,000 ks without a hitch until four weeks ago when it shuddered, lost power intermittently and flashed about four different messages reporting engine trouble. We've been waiting all this time for the problem to be diagnosed, and now onto our third hire car at great cost. We bought Subaru on the expectation of reliability and thought we were winning the game. Nooooot sooo. We are waiting for some satisfactory answers Subaru!

Having just purchased a 2018 XV Hatch sports, in setting the volume for the front sensors, let alone the rear, the volume on the highest level is actually very quiet, especially if you have hearing aids. Any tips or short instructions to ensure I have done this correctly? TIA

Hi We have a dilemma with our 2012 Manual Subaru XV which threw up all warning lights one evening driving home. Subaru dealer told us we needed a new battery, quoted us 750 including diagnostics test, we had it replaced for half price with a local mechanic. Drove away, and discovered all the warning lights on dashboard again. Second diagnostic test at Subaru dealer (more money:( and now we are told a problem with ABS system which cost 6500 to fix. This knocked me off my feet. Has anyone spent such enormous amounts on this problem, or this car, in one hit? Very angry at this point as I feel there is no guarantee that this may be all that is wrong with the car.
Bought a used 2012 XV and days after buying it, it did this exactly. Turns out it just needed a new o2 sensor.

XV G4X 2.0iXV G4X 2.0i-LXV G4X 2.0i-S