Subaru XV G4X

Subaru XV G4X (2015-2017)

2.0i, 2.0i-L, 2.0i-S

• Comfort
  • Features
Sharon
SharonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The problem fixed with satisfaction.

Subaru Xv 2016 which Starlink touch screen suddenly frozen, the car has no bluetooth, no GPS, no reverse camera, nothing now. rang Subaru Dealer and was told no service available.

The Subaru dealer replaced the the whole radio set Free of charge after 1 month. All good now.

Purchased in March 2017 for $31,000.00.

MonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don’t bother unless you want a lemon

CVT Transmission Solenoid

I’ve owned the vehicle since new (2015) and use it to commute to work. This is my third Subaru and they’ve never let me down. The AT temp light came on (along with all the other warning lights) at 115,000k. The local Subaru dealer informed me the transmission solenoid had failed and will cost $3400 for the part only (possibly a $4.5K to $5K job). They also stated ‘we’ve been getting a few of these lately’. I’ve been told this is an emerging problem but no extended warranty or good will? The vehicle will be payed off in October, I was planning to purchase another.....

Purchased in October 2015.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Year2015

Ok but not great!

Purchased in June 2015.

sweetsunset
sweetsunsetSydney, NSW

Excellent response CTV failure on XV Subaru from Subaru

Recently wrote about failure on the CTV on my XV Subaru with 135000 kms on the clock. Apparently this is not unusual after further investigation on my part. However Subaru have agreed to replace the failed part at their cost. Certainly worth asking the question.

Purchased in December 2014.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Suzanne GaffneySydney, NSW

CTV Transmission failure - again

Bought a brand new Subaru XV in 2014, have it serviced regularly and female driver. Suddenly after 135,000kms the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. After taking it to the local Subaru dealer was told CTV (Continuous Transmission Variable) would need to be replaced as a cost of $5000 , however they are seeking some relief from Subaru Japan. In the meantime turned on social media to find that it is an ongoing problem with the transmission and Subaru are very familiar with the issues surrounding the technology. Have refused to do a recall and leave their brand in tatters and the owners looking elsewhere for a different car. Be very wary when SUV shopping - stay away from Subaru

Purchased in December 2014 at Tynan Motors.

Suzanne Gaffney

Since posting my review, Subaru have agreed to replace the Transmission at their cost and the job has been completed successfully.

Simon D
Simon DGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great for small family or single people

I use this car for daily transport to locations and road trips but not off roads too much. The car is very comfortable, the seat are well put together so sitting for long period of times does not impact your body as much as other cars. It is also very fuel efficient if you drive long distance and smooth, you don't feel the car switching gears or hear any sounds as it is quiet.

Only down side to this is boot space, it doesn't have enough space to fit more than 2-3 peoples worth of luggage depending on how much you bring as it got compensated for bigger room space for the people in the back seat

Purchased in January 2015 at Subaru Dealers for $31,000.00.

Lini
LiniSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great buy

I commute to work and drive close to 100kms a day. Smooth drive and love its intelligent cruise control. Not a great fan of the lane assist due to the fact that it only detects solid lines on the road. Very very fuel efficient.

Purchased in January 2019 for $33,000.00.

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

saigon
saigonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

JDP
JDP

Great car, bit small for a family

Great car, moves well. Nice to drive unless hill assist is on then very sluggish. Pity it doesn't come in turbo diesel. Auto cruise control is great. Crash assist sometimes pulls the car up unessecary which can be frustrating

Purchased in January 2018.

Karen G
Karen GBrisbane

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJune 2012
GSN
GSNMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So happy with XV!! Excellent AWD

Decided to upgrade our car from sedan to small SUV. Did all our works to find right car.
Young family with two kids who love camping, so our priority is good safety rating, good leg room @ back seat, fuel efficiency and good luggage space.

Our finalists are Subaru XV and Mazda CX3. When we went to showroom to test drive we decided to go with XV. So happy with our choice.

Not much luggage space is our only negative, but purchased roof pod and during camping time just fix the pod and issue solved.

Badge2.0i-L
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Simon
SimonMelbourne

Still going strong

My XV was bought in 2012 when it first released in Australia. I was one of the lucky ones to drive the first shipment stock. After 6 years of driving it around, it still going strong without any machinically issue. It is so reliable that I decided not to upgrade it to the second generation XV. The CVT works very well with the 2.0 engine. I never use it for any towing so the CVT and 2.0 engine are just perfect for my daily urban travel and sometimes rural adventures. I guess my biggest dislike is the price to update the GPS but it is no big deal as Google Map is always there in my phone.

Badge2.0i-S
Date PurchasedMay 2012

What a disgraceful automobile.

Badge2.0i
Date PurchasedOct 2013

Read more reviews - page 2See all Subaru XV reviews

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Felicity B
Felicity Basked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

My 2012 Subaru XV is tomorrow getting it’s 3rd engine in less than 50,000km. I brought the car new and have nothing but issues - never again. I guess my question here is has anyone else had as much drama??

Sally
Sally

why has it been replaced each time?
Mine had an oil leak under warranty needing to remove the engine to resell the cam carriers. After that it had a ticking noise that was found to be a bent camshaft. Engine out again and new camshaft installed. Now running well at 80,000 kms

Lesley L.
Lesley L.

We bought our 2012 Subaru XV in March 2015. It ran like a charm, clocking up 110,000 ks without a hitch until four weeks ago when it shuddered, lost power intermittently and flashed about four different messages reporting engine trouble. We've been waiting all this time for the problem to be diagnosed, and now onto our third hire car at great cost. We bought Subaru on the expectation of reliability and thought we were winning the game. Nooooot sooo. We are waiting for some satisfactory answers Subaru!

Nak L.
Nak L.

Hi, I am having same issues like loss of power and high fuel consumption. Also the rpms revs. Up and gears do not change timely. A recall was done to change the valves and brake switch. The engine was taken out. After that I am having issues. What was the solution to yours? Thanks

Wendy
Wendyasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

Having just purchased a 2018 XV Hatch sports, in setting the volume for the front sensors, let alone the rear, the volume on the highest level is actually very quiet, especially if you have hearing aids. Any tips or short instructions to ensure I have done this correctly? TIA

See all Subaru XV G4X (2015-2017) questions

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Subaru XV G4X (2015-2017)

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapan
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015