6Subaru XV

Subaru XV Questions & Answers

Kerri
Kerri · XV G4X (2015-2017)

Hi, I’m considering buying a 2015 G4X. Auto, 253000 klms. Does anyone have any advice? $10 000 with full service history

Megamouse
Megamouse

Hi Kerri
We bought a MY14 XV for my wife and it gave her 8 years of safe trouble free motoring. The main criteria for me was it's primary safety; nothing beats All Wheel Drive (AWD) in bad weather. The car just grips the road. Our daughter also bought a MY16 Forester, and I a MY18 Forester too. All brand new from the same dealer. So far so good. We loved Subarus.
Then last year, daughters Forester developed major oil leak at around 95,000k the week after Subaru serviced it. The engine had to come out, their estimate $6K! I went into bat on her behalf asking why had the recent service not seen any problems, and went in hard. Result is that Subaru finally agreed to fix it at their expense, which they did. The local dealer was excellent in his handling of the matter but it was a major fail.
Earlier this year, the MY14 XV with 90,000+ ks started to get engine lights. Our independent mechanic did diagnoses, all free, and the code said it was cam timing related. It got worse and the light came on solid, so off to Subaru. Well, they charged me $175+, had it for 3 days and flushed the oil, more $$. Then told me that the engine had to come out, $5,000+. I complained that engines should last more that that, noting that we all service our cars at every 6 months.
The dealer again took it up with Subaru, and we did eventually get them to contribute partially.
So the work was done, took weeks, and we had to pay $2,000. Both our mechanic and Subaru's advised us to get rid of the car ASAP. The problem being 'cam bucket filters' which are tiny thimble shaped sieves inside the cylinder heads that can block up but can only be cleaned by pulling the engine out and removing the heads! I asked the Subaru mechanic and he said that they were sealed in for the life of the engine and are not normally serviceable.
These Subaru engines aren't the reliable units of old; 2 out of 3 down already!
I am now wondering when do I trade my otherwise brilliant MY18 Forester with 52,000Ks in!
So Kerri, a MY15 XV with 253,000ks? My advice is NO.
Even if it has been religiously serviced, I'll leave the opinion of the Subaru mechanic when I said that 'they are very reliable, 400,000ks before the engine sees a spanner'. His reply was "no, I see them well before that".
I wish I could give you better advice, but I just can't put lipstick on a pig and feel that I must be honest with you.
Subarus are still great cars, but not long term. My Forester will have to go before long; I thought that I had bought my forever car, but it will have to go too. We are both pensioners and can't afford to keep turning cars over.
FYI, we got an MG ZST in May and it is brilliant. Handles well and my wife loves it; a good little car. Especially if you can stretch to the $26,990 drive away with 7 years warranty. But it really needs 95 RON.
Good luck Kerri

Kerri

Your honestly and clarity helps a ton. I am a nurse looking to drive rural remote, so reliability is my number 1 factor after budget. I can afford to pay more for a car, and I feel it may be wiser to stick with something second hand with less klms and potential issues on the uprise.

Andrew F.
Andrew F. · XV

I have two black spots on the screen of camera / radio can I get rid of them or do I need to replace screen.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Andrew, we would love the opportunity to help you find out. We encourage you to contact our customer relations team on 1800 22 66 43 or email feedback@subaru.com.au with your details, allowing a case manager to reach out and assist you further. Kind Regards, The Subaru Team

terry a.
terry a. · XV

why does my subaru xv model my14 2.01 2016 steering wheel lock when I turn on the ignition, other than this I am perfectly happy with this reliable car.

terry a.
terry a. · XV

why does my xv 2016 model my14 2.01 steering wheel lock when I turn my ignition on

Subaru Australia   DM

Terry, our authorised Subaru Service Centres have the latest Subaru diagnostic equipment together with qualified service professionals familiar with the Subaru product. We would love the opportunity to have your vehicle booked in with your local Subaru Retailer or authorised Subaru Service Centre of your choice to diagnose your Subaru.
Email feedback@subaru.com.au or contact 1800 22 66 43 if you require assistance booking in.

Kind Regards,
The Subaru Team

Michael · XV

I have a XV from new 119,000 km and shuddering. I am told by Subaru I need a new transmission.

Ffi
Ffi

No, sorry

Subaru Australia   DM

Michael, we are so sorry to hear of the concern presenting with your vehicle. We encourage you to email feedback@subaru.com.au or contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 providing the opportunity for a case manager to investigate further. Kind Regards, The Subaru Team

Jodie M
Jodie M · XV

Used Bluetooth and now radio won't turn back on.
How do i correct that? Its a 2014 xv

Subaru Australia   DM

Jodie, we are so sorry to hear about the radio not working and would love to help you solve this. Reach out to our team on 1800 22 66 43 or email feedback@subaru.com.au Kind Regards, The Subaru Team.

geoff w.
geoff w. · XV

Will the 2023 XV come with a bigger engine?

peter-pr13949
peter-pr13949

Reports say No. We find engine ok but we don’t tow

josie · XV

How can Subaru refuse to honour problems with the automatic transmission on its 2013 model on the basis that the car has not been serviced by one of its dealers. Isn't the transmission a design/manufacturing issue?

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Josie, we appreciate you taking the time in sharing your feedback and sorry to hear of the way that you feel. We would love the opportunity to investigate your matter. Please email our Subaru Customer Relations Team at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will have a case manager assigned to assist. We look forward in hearing from you. Kind Regards The Subaru Team

josie

Good, I am looking forward to a positive outcome.

K R
K R · XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2024)

What does G5X mean

Disappointed
Disappointed  · XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi there, we are are sorry to hear of your experience and the way that you feel. We would like to further investigate and look into this issue. Could you please reach out to us with further details at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will assign your email to a case manager. We hope to hear from you! Regards The Subaru Team

Disappointed
Disappointed  · XV

Gerry Y.
Gerry Y.

After reading all the scary bad reviews about Subaru XV, I am thinking of cancelling my order for XV. My order for new 2021 Subaru XV 2.0i S AWD will arrived around end of February 2022. It cost $42,600 with added accessories. It's a lot of money to spend and it will just give me trouble. I think it is not worth it.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Gerry, we're sorry that you feel this way and would love to have a chat. Send us your details to feedback@subaru.com.au and we will have a Customer Relations Team member reach out. Kind Regards The Subaru Team

Shirley R
Shirley R · XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Subaru Australia   DM

No Problem Shirley. We can refer you through to a Warranty guideline that we provide on our website, please follow the below link.
external link
Otherwise please feel free to contact our Customer Relations Team for any specified questions that you may have regarding your warranty on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au.

DAVID
DAVID

I have a 2018 Subaru XV that's only travelled 36,000 kilometres and am having the exact same problem. Very poor quality which is very disappointing from such a reputable brand.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi David, we're sorry to hear this. Please contact our Customer Relations Team at feedback@subaru.com.au to look into this. Kind Regards The Subaru Team

goluke171
goluke171 · XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2024)

What is the difference between g4x and g5x?
Is the boot design differently? I have someone giving me a cargo boot mat which fit the g4x model. Can it be used in my xv 2020?

KJM · XV

I have a 2013 XV with CVT, 120 KMs, always serviced, with a mix of city and highway driving and some probs occured and i am told needs a new valve body based on codes. Price indicated is $5K plus. Been a long time subaru owner, this seems so out of expectations for this brand to have such a major failure at relatively low Kms. Not sure of other's history with this issue but puts a major cloud over longevity of CVTs, and this will stop me from any future subaru purchases. Appreciate any others experiences with this issue, thanks, Kevin

Daisy
Daisy

Hi Kevin, I had this issue with my 2012-13 XV with similar km (119,174kms) - June 2018. I found on the website that this was a recall issue in the US but not in Australia. I had the value body TR580 replaced ($3500 all up including labour). And now at just over 150,000Kms - it was gone again. Same issue, same warning lights. Subaru dealerships very unhelpful with the issue and I would not buy another Subaru.

KJM

Thank you Daisy and yes this is very concerning with this CVT issue and i had thought Subaru had some extended warranty on the CVT early days to ensure buyers were not concerned by it, but i cant verify that. This is my 4th Subaru and have recommended in the family another 4 cars, so this has certainly put a major cloud over the reliability of the CVT from Subaru, as my previous models were old style geared autos. Looks like will be forced to fix, then will move it on and seek out another brand, as this is just too costly to risk. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ KJM, We're sorry to hear of your experience. Please feel free to contact us either through our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Alternatively, you're welcome to send us a message through our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Geoff

Hi Subaru Australia.....you have NO IDEA the stress that I went through with my car getting fixed after the valve spring replacement....this model XV is a LEMON & all buyers should be given their money back....I have spoke to several mechanics & they have told me 2012 2013 models were not a good car & to get rid of it ASAP... Subaru Australia you need to look after your customers because people talk & will tell others not to buy a Subaru...
My cars rego.is CNA-96C it would be nice to hear something back.from you, but I know that won't happen...

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ Geoff, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your XV. We can see that you have been in touch with our Customer Relations Team who we can have get back to you if you like to discuss your concerns further. The Subaru Team.

Gordo
Gordo

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been in contact with Subaru and I’ve given them a lot of information about the transmission. I always thought that they were a good car and I still do . But what I hate is when they tell you that they are not going to do anything even though they give extended warranty in USA. I hope they hurry up and get my daughters car fixed because consumer laws in Australia is 7 years. The car died in the seventh year and it’s just under 100,000. I’ve been looking at a new car but I don’t know what I’m going to do now because I don’t want a cvt transmission if it’s going to fail

Wendy
Wendy · XV G5X 2.0i-S AWD (2017-2024)

My 2018 G5X 2.0i-S died. CVT and Diff - I was told it was because the mechanic had not refilled the front diff with oil. I drove 6000kms with no oil if that is the case. Is that even possible - day trips of up to 500kms over mountains at speeds of 110? There seems to be a lack of accountability around faulty CVTs in XVs in Australia. Repair bill almost $13000 in a two year old car...it is with Fair Trading...

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ Wendy, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your XV. Our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Alternatively, you're welcome to send us a private message to our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Wendy

It is being investigated by Fair Trading. Your Customer Service person would not escalate nor let me speak to his manager. He was sexist and ageist. Customer Service - poor.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ Wendy. Thank you for your response. Our team will respond to Fair Trading accordingly. Take care and be safe. The Subaru Team.

RPD
RPD

Hi, we have the same problem with our 2018 XV. Took it to the dealer yesterday morning for them to investigate a small noise in the rear of the car. Received a phone call today that the transmission has gone. We were told it will cost us $12,000 to replace. Yet there was nothing wrong with it yesterday.
The dealer told us our mechanic had put diff oil into the transmission. Have done investigations and spoken to a few people and the car would not have coped with the kms done if that had occurred.
There was no warning there was any problem - no idiot lights came on. The transmission was fine yesterday and stuffed today.
We have lodged our complaint with Subaru, and will see what happens.

Wendy

Fair Trading NSW determined it was not a fault, but the mechanic filled at the wrong point of the diff. Still unbelievable that I could do 6000kms with no diff oil. Design fault if nothing else. My recommendation - don’t buy a Subaru - they were once a good brand, but they are an expensive unreliable brand now.

Geoff

I totally agree with you Wendy...I will never buy another one...& I tell others not to buy them...

Faisal S.
Faisal S.

I almost bought this car and I am glad I came across these reviews before making the biggest mistake. These cars are not cheap and I am glad I read these reviews and decided against buying one. Thanks everyone for taking the time to spread experiences such as these. I'm sure, just like myself, you have also helped a lot of people looking to buy this car.

Melissa O.
Melissa O. · XV

My tail and park lights are still on with the car turned off am worried it will just drain my battery how do I turn them off can’t find an answer in the manual help me please someone if you can

Helen T.
Helen T. · XV

Suburu XV, only 30,000 miles and the key keeps getting stuck in the ignition and just won't come out.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ Helen T., We're sorry to hear this. Please contact any one of our Subaru service retailers so they can have a look at what can be done for you. The Subaru Team. external link

Don G.
Don G.

Fixed the above problem today in my wife's 14 XV. No help from Subaru Australia, no goodwill just off you go. Gold Coast Subaru dealer wanted over $700 to fix the problem but Boxer Services at Brendale, north of Brisbane, fixed the problem in 1 hr using their re designed part. Total Cost 60% less than what Von Bibra quoted. Now we have a happy house hold. D.G.

Alicia
Alicia

Hi, any chance you could let me know the details of the part? Mine is booked into Subaru to be fixed, but don’t really feel like spending $700!!
Thank you.

Ash · XV

Hi Im looking to buy a Subaru XV 2.0i-S G4X. 2014, 60,000kms. Are they good reliable cars.

Peter H.
Peter H.

Hi Ash, I would advise to do a google search as they are having some issues with transmission. We love our xv's and have recently bought another for wife (daughter has old one) and Subaru has help repaired our transmission on older xv 2012. My only beef is that The Americans have received full warranty (10 years 160km) for these problems and we haven't in Australia. Do some searches mate

Hi Peter,
Will do, Thank you for taking the time to respond.

sweetsunset
sweetsunset

seems to be the 2010 to 2016 models are the duds. They have updated the technology in later models (so I'm told) I had problems with the transmission and had have a part replaced to do with the ATS system and now the CV joints are playing up. On reading online I am not the only one,

NewyBec
NewyBec

I have just purchased a 2019 top of the range XV and am very happy. Still early days; hopefully all the problems cited above have been ironed out.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @NewyBec, Congratulations on the new purchase! It's great to hear that you're happy with your XV as they are a fantastic ride. If you should have any concerns, feel free to drop by a Subaru service retailer and the service staff will be happy to help! The Subaru Team.

Geoff

Ash don't buy an XV they are LEMONS buy a Toyota you can't go wrong....good luck

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Select a listing for your question
Subaru XV