Subaru XV

Subaru XV Questions & Answers

G5X (2017-2019) and G4X (2015-2017)

47 questions from our users

Toni W.

Toni W.asked

XV

Removing the key from the ignition when I have parked. Key is now not releasing without a struggle. ?? Anyone else have this problem, It's only started happening in the past week with no apparent reason. Car is firmly in Park but key still not pulling out of the ignition.. ??

MOB

MOBasked

XV

A Senior lady question. My 4 year old XV has begun surging a few seconds after the first startup in the morning. It is a one off each morning and the motor appears normal at every other startup during the day. Anyone else having this problem and is there a solution. It has just had a 46,000km service.

Enrico

Enricoasked

XV G5X

Can anyone give me real fuel figures based on their kilometres driven and actual fuel filled? The car stats aren't reliable enough.

John

Johnasked

XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD

What does G5 mean and what is the boot space in all your XV models

Jan Kasked

XV

I have 2018 xv and have trouble with the radio, static when I pass under power lines , sometimes for no reason. Also occasionally the sound surges, it’s driving me crazy. Subaru tell me it’s because the AM signal is weaker but I have never had trouble with other cars. Anyone have this problem?

DKS
DKS

Hi,
I drive XV 2018 as well.
I personally have not had this type of issue however I think it is another fault or issue on overall entertainment unit. Because I always have a problem with Apple Car Play and every time i bring my car in the service Subaru says they don’t know and couldn’t do anything about that which is really frustrating. Unless they see very obvious mechanical problem this is what they try to avoid their responsibility, I guess. As they said to you “AM signal weaker”... I don’t believe that. It was just a lame excuse. That is why i am not going to recommend Subaru and not going to buy it when I buy my next car down the track.
Wish the problem will be resolved soon.

Jan K

Thanks for your feedback, it’s all very frustrating. I have booked my car in to have the radio checked on Monday but they have told me if they don’t deem there is a problem, I will have to pay an hours wages which is $165! I’m obviously in the wrong business!

Scotty74

If you research there have been issues with these head units, talk to your dealer after you do some research, our unit has frozen twice and they offered to replace it if it does it again. Also we have issues sometimes with connecting to apple play with my wife’s 10, It maybe a software issue with the phone however as my 7 has no issues at all. Subaru know there’s an issue with the head units and often a software update fixes the glitches so try that at your next service, if you still have issues requests they replace the head unit under warranty. Under consumer law Subaru has an obligation to replace the head unit if faulty, don’t fall for the mechanical issue crap! Sorry it really frustrates me when dealers try and stoop customers. You have to remember dealers are just representing the Subaru brand, go to Subaru direct if you need to. Also research the lemon laws and consumer laws in relation to vehicles and know your rights. Need any further help just message me.

Geoff

Geoffasked

XV

I had my valve springs replaced as per recall, since having it done my car labours a lot more than it did before this was done & really lacks power, it is a 2013 model manual with 83,000ks, I have taken it back twice now & they can't find anything wrong with it, they say it's just the way Subaru XV's are.....not happy with it & will never buy another Subaru again....this is it's 3rd recall...I had a Rav4 with 376,000 k's on it & would eat this XV...

Anne asked

XV

I have a MY2015 XV which I love, but the audio quality for the person I call when using Bluetooth hands free phone connection is woeful, even with the latest Samsung top of the range phone. I can hear fine, but terrible background noise for call recipient makes it virtually unusable. Has there been any improvement with later models in this regard? Many thanks.

Hi Anne
I cannot comment on your 2015 model as mine is a 2018 model with the new technology infotainment system
The original bluetooth sound with my vehicle was always crystal clear from day one and remains so with the 2019 update .
My mobile was a Samsung Galaxy S5 ( 2014) and I only recently upgraded to Samsung Galaxy A8
Therefore, even with the old Samsung my blue tooth was clear
It would seem obvious that your sound quality issue is with your Subaru software
Have you ever updated your software?
You may have to pay for it as your vehicle is out of warranty
Good luck

Anne

Thanks, CM, that sounds like something I need to check out. Great to know that the 2018 model’s sound quality is good, as I’m thinking about upgrading. Based on reviews at the time, it seemed that inferior quality with earlier models may have been a common experience, but updating the software could be the thing to try. Many thanks for your response.

JodsGasked

XV

Have a 2014 XV has used five liters of oil since the end on February 2019 now 10th of June... Car now surging not accelerating correctly lagging even at 60kms per hr ? Thanks Jods

Simon D

It does surge a bit when the engine isn't warmed up yet, need to take it easy on the acceleration when it is still cold.

JodsG

Yes just spent $500 again since Feb service burning oil ... had new plugs fitted

Scotty74

Yeah Simon ours does the same, al reported it to Subaru at my first service and they said it was normal, l had them however record it on my service history should anything come up in the future.

Ron B.

Ron B.asked

XV G5X

How do you adjustment the outside mirrors from inside car on2019 xv

Simon D

There should be a knob on the driver door, where you control all the windows. Its a joystick, so you select which side you want to change and move it in the right direction like a direction pad

mrs pickles

mrs picklesasked

XV

2014 Subaru xv 2000 does this model have gps included as a standard feature of the car many thanks

Simon D

No, it only has the basic entertainment system with a small screen. Though it does include bluetooth

Jenny L.

Jenny L.asked

XV

I have a 2017 subaru xv. The ignition key has started to intermittently get stuck in the ignition. I have gone through the process of starting the car, putting it into drive then back to park. Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. The key gets stuck in that last turn before you remove it from the barrel.
Any tips or ideas?

John M

I have the same problelm with the my 2017 XV. A search of the internet shows this is a common problem worldwide (Crosstrek = XV in US). Looks like some sort of solenoid needs replacing. I will try get it fixed under warranty.

John M

Further update: Have booked in with Subaru for repair under waranty this week. They seem to recognise the issue and had no hesitation in fixing under warranty. Problem is a switch in gearbox. Takes about 2 hours to repair.

Scotty74

Nice, just remember you have consumer laws, don’t be afraid to fight for them. If you google Australian consumer vehicles laws you will get an array of information. Also if you have an issue with your vehicle do what John did, research it and then take your findings to your dealer armed with your new consumer knowledge. You also have to remember your dealer is just a representative of the car manufacturer, don’t be afraid to approach the manufacturer if the dealer won’t assist.

Geegee

Geegeeasked

XV G5X 2.0i-S AWD

My radio goes off when my phone connects via blue tooth. How do I fix this?

Felicity B

Felicity Basked

XV G4X

My 2012 Subaru XV is tomorrow getting it’s 3rd engine in less than 50,000km. I brought the car new and have nothing but issues - never again. I guess my question here is has anyone else had as much drama??

Sally
Sally

why has it been replaced each time?
Mine had an oil leak under warranty needing to remove the engine to resell the cam carriers. After that it had a ticking noise that was found to be a bent camshaft. Engine out again and new camshaft installed. Now running well at 80,000 kms

Lesley L.
Lesley L.

We bought our 2012 Subaru XV in March 2015. It ran like a charm, clocking up 110,000 ks without a hitch until four weeks ago when it shuddered, lost power intermittently and flashed about four different messages reporting engine trouble. We've been waiting all this time for the problem to be diagnosed, and now onto our third hire car at great cost. We bought Subaru on the expectation of reliability and thought we were winning the game. Nooooot sooo. We are waiting for some satisfactory answers Subaru!

KarenC

KarenCasked

XV

I'd like to hear from others who have had failed CVT transmissions in their XV and whether Subaru has repaired these or what course of action you took.

nightal

I've just lost the transmission valve body, which may be up to a 3500 replacement job. The first two things I mentioned were ACCC and fair trading. Subaru are finding out whether it can be resolved under any special arrangement, and we've seen articles about extended warranties in the USA for an array of issues with CVT, including very specific comments about this problem. Just the latest issue amongst many.

Update: Not having anything free as it's not under warranty. Estimate is 1.8k.

BCY
BCY

Hi, we have been without our Subaru 2014 XVS for over 2 months waiting for Subaru to look into the cvt transmission failure. We have been to Fair Trading and the transmission has now been sent away for a diagnosis. The car is still under Warranty. Subaru Moss Vale NSW have been of no help whatsoever dispite us having owned many Subaru’s previously.
Anyone else please advise?!

nightal

Apparently, Subaru don't build their own transmission any more. This is particularly interesting when smaller parts like a single solenoid on the valve body fail. I was referred to a transmission specialist by the dealer, who says instead of purchasing a si.ple part, the entire valve body assembly needs to be replaced. (1800).

Your repair costs should be covered under warranty, though. I figure if you want a car you can rely on, get a different brand next time.

Egai D.

Egai D.asked

XV

Hi.. i just noticed now that my 2017 XV’s rear wheels are not centered . Both wheels are more positioned front, the gap of the wheel against the chassis wheel curve is narrower on the front. Is this normal? I see othe 4WD SUVS REAR wheels are dead centre .- Edgar

fred f
fred f

Obviously you should ask Subaru

Wendy

Wendyasked

XV G4X

Having just purchased a 2018 XV Hatch sports, in setting the volume for the front sensors, let alone the rear, the volume on the highest level is actually very quiet, especially if you have hearing aids. Any tips or short instructions to ensure I have done this correctly? TIA

Rosie

Rosieasked

Hi

We have a dilemma with our 2012 Manual Subaru XV which threw up all warning lights one evening driving home. Subaru dealer told us we needed a new battery, quoted us 750 including diagnostics test, we had it replaced for half price with a local mechanic. Drove away, and discovered all the warning lights on dashboard again. Second diagnostic test at Subaru dealer (more money:( and now we are told a problem with ABS system which cost 6500 to fix. This knocked me off my feet. Has anyone spent such enormous amounts on this problem, or this car, in one hit? Very angry at this point as I feel there is no guarantee that this may be all that is wrong with the car.

JT S.
JT S.

Bought a used 2012 XV and days after buying it, it did this exactly. Turns out it just needed a new o2 sensor.

CMasked

Subaru XV 2018 S series I think there is a minor glitch in the phone software
When I select and save my Favourites from the phone list they only appear for a day or two then vanish
I have done this three times.When I charge my mobile from the USB port the auto uploading of the address book deletes the Favourites
Any suggestions?

Stevo
Stevo

Cant help sorry. We avoid phone car integration as there always seems to be issues, and for our use virtually no benefits.

nightal

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one. That drives me nuts!

CM

You are not going nuts! at your next service request a software update

Mark C

Mark Casked

XV

I have a 2012 XV and the touch screen wont work in the top left corner which means that the sat nav and other functions dont work properly.... any suggestions other than replacing the unit at $2100 according to Subaru?

Louie
Louie

Sorry Mark, I cant assist you with that one. My only suggestion is that you could try to find a second hand unit.

Amanda

Thinking of buying 2014 Xv Subaru is it good to get reliable no repairs needed at 68,000 km
I can’t be spending money on it as I don’t have it pls help answer me
Automatic
Why is it stiff to drive compare to a corolla I tried 2016
Is it normal for it to feel not very smooth
Pls help

Amanda

Is 2014 Xv good suv to get pls help answer me don’t ha e money to spend on repairs heard they are very expensive

Poppaasked

XV

I have the same problem with the am radio in my new SV 2.01 S 2018 bought in march, as others above can something be done??.Also as above maybe the lane deviation tends to take over and control the steering wheel ?.I thought this maybe the AWD in action. Anyone els found this ?

BIG O
BIG O

Its the "CONNECTOR" IN the aerial.-REPLACE IT and/or the steering wheel volume toggles wiring loom behind wheel beginning to crack with hysteresis-my brohers experience there. Lane deviation not ideal in the city cycle as the front avoidance radar tends to "interrupt" I found in my new XV. Lane deviation works best in hwy cycles and is designed to work primarily in that cycle.

DespiCable
DespiCable

I also have had the same problem with the AM radio. I was told it would be resolved with a software update when I took my XV in for its 1000km service. It wasn't. I sent an email to Subaru Australia and was advised that version 4 would resolve the problem. I checked setting an my Subaru and it shows Software Version: 2. Clearly the Subaru Service Centre did not update the software so I have booked it in again for an update.

Poppa

Thanks everyone I've since had a software update and it seems to be much better.Also the lane deviation is responsible for the steering wheel movement as suggested above.Thanks again Poppa

Get an answer from our members and Subaru representatives