Subaru XV

Listing monitored by Subaru Australia

55 questions from our users

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

goluke171
goluke171asked
XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2021)

What is the difference between g4x and g5x?
Is the boot design differently? I have someone giving me a cargo boot mat which fit the g4x model. Can it be used in my xv 2020?

KJMasked
XV

I have a 2013 XV with CVT, 120 KMs, always serviced, with a mix of city and highway driving and some probs occured and i am told needs a new valve body based on codes. Price indicated is $5K plus. Been a long time subaru owner, this seems so out of expectations for this brand to have such a major failure at relatively low Kms. Not sure of other's history with this issue but puts a major cloud over longevity of CVTs, and this will stop me from any future subaru purchases. Appreciate any others experiences with this issue, thanks, Kevin

Daisy
Daisy

Hi Kevin, I had this issue with my 2012-13 XV with similar km (119,174kms) - June 2018. I found on the website that this was a recall issue in the US but not in Australia. I had the value body TR580 replaced ($3500 all up including labour). And now at just over 150,000Kms - it was gone again. Same issue, same warning lights. Subaru dealerships very unhelpful with the issue and I would not buy another Subaru.

KJM

Thank you Daisy and yes this is very concerning with this CVT issue and i had thought Subaru had some extended warranty on the CVT early days to ensure buyers were not concerned by it, but i cant verify that. This is my 4th Subaru and have recommended in the family another 4 cars, so this has certainly put a major cloud over the reliability of the CVT from Subaru, as my previous models were old style geared autos. Looks like will be forced to fix, then will move it on and seek out another brand, as this is just too costly to risk. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ KJM, We're sorry to hear of your experience. Please feel free to contact us either through our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Alternatively, you're welcome to send us a message through our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Wendyasked
XV G5X 2.0i-S AWD (2017-2021)

My 2018 G5X 2.0i-S died. CVT and Diff - I was told it was because the mechanic had not refilled the front diff with oil. I drove 6000kms with no oil if that is the case. Is that even possible - day trips of up to 500kms over mountains at speeds of 110? There seems to be a lack of accountability around faulty CVTs in XVs in Australia. Repair bill almost $13000 in a two year old car...it is with Fair Trading...

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Wendy, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your XV. Our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Alternatively, you're welcome to send us a private message to our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Wendy

It is being investigated by Fair Trading. Your Customer Service person would not escalate nor let me speak to his manager. He was sexist and ageist. Customer Service - poor.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Wendy. Thank you for your response. Our team will respond to Fair Trading accordingly. Take care and be safe. The Subaru Team.

Melissa O.
Melissa O.asked
XV

My tail and park lights are still on with the car turned off am worried it will just drain my battery how do I turn them off can’t find an answer in the manual help me please someone if you can

Helen T.
Helen T.asked
XV

Suburu XV, only 30,000 miles and the key keeps getting stuck in the ignition and just won't come out.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Helen T., We're sorry to hear this. Please contact any one of our Subaru service retailers so they can have a look at what can be done for you. The Subaru Team. http://bit.ly/2WZZ8yv

Don G.
Don G.

Fixed the above problem today in my wife's 14 XV. No help from Subaru Australia, no goodwill just off you go. Gold Coast Subaru dealer wanted over $700 to fix the problem but Boxer Services at Brendale, north of Brisbane, fixed the problem in 1 hr using their re designed part. Total Cost 60% less than what Von Bibra quoted. Now we have a happy house hold. D.G.

Alicia
Alicia

Hi, any chance you could let me know the details of the part? Mine is booked into Subaru to be fixed, but don’t really feel like spending $700!!
Thank you.

Ashasked
XV

Hi Im looking to buy a Subaru XV 2.0i-S G4X. 2014, 60,000kms. Are they good reliable cars.

Peter H.
Peter H.

Hi Ash, I would advise to do a google search as they are having some issues with transmission. We love our xv's and have recently bought another for wife (daughter has old one) and Subaru has help repaired our transmission on older xv 2012. My only beef is that The Americans have received full warranty (10 years 160km) for these problems and we haven't in Australia. Do some searches mate

Hi Peter,
Will do, Thank you for taking the time to respond.

sweetsunset
sweetsunset

seems to be the 2010 to 2016 models are the duds. They have updated the technology in later models (so I'm told) I had problems with the transmission and had have a part replaced to do with the ATS system and now the CV joints are playing up. On reading online I am not the only one,

Michelle B.
Michelle B.asked
XV

Loud clicking noise coming from my passenger front wheel when I steer right. What is it subaru xv my 2016

Toni W.
Toni W.asked
XV

Removing the key from the ignition when I have parked. Key is now not releasing without a struggle. ?? Anyone else have this problem, It's only started happening in the past week with no apparent reason. Car is firmly in Park but key still not pulling out of the ignition.. ??

Tom
Tom

Yes, the same problem has just occurred in our XV (2012) - very frustrating. No solution yet - going to pursue it this week.!

Leanne J

Yes, same problem XV 2016, that was two weeks ago and on the weekend can't put the car in Reverse or Park, stuck in Neutral and Drive, needs a screw driver into the shift area and push down to get the car into Reverse or Park (RACV helped out here). Towed away this morning to find out what is happening as no indicators as well.

Leanne J

Still at Subaru being repaired one and half weeks later, replacing different area's but still have not come up with a reason and I haven't heard from them since last week. Car has only 22000 kms on clock and no service car replacement, we are having to plan our work travel commitments, sport, shopping for two with one car left to share.

MOB
MOBasked
XV

A Senior lady question. My 4 year old XV has begun surging a few seconds after the first startup in the morning. It is a one off each morning and the motor appears normal at every other startup during the day. Anyone else having this problem and is there a solution. It has just had a 46,000km service.

racered
racered

Mine misfires for a second or two on a cold start then returns to normal

Enricoasked
XV G5X (2017-2021)

Can anyone give me real fuel figures based on their kilometres driven and actual fuel filled? The car stats aren't reliable enough.

NikB
NikB

I'm getting 7.9 lt/ 100ks in mainly city driving. My XV 2.0S is 2 months old.

Enrico

I ended up buying the XVs also and find actual figures of 9.7L/100 city and 8L/100 motorway. The cars computer is way out as I use the distance and filled method of calculating. I would check your figure manually rather than taking the car's figure.

John
Johnasked
XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2021)

What does G5 mean and what is the boot space in all your XV models

Jan Kasked
XV

I have 2018 xv and have trouble with the radio, static when I pass under power lines , sometimes for no reason. Also occasionally the sound surges, it’s driving me crazy. Subaru tell me it’s because the AM signal is weaker but I have never had trouble with other cars. Anyone have this problem?

DKS
DKS

Hi,
I drive XV 2018 as well.
I personally have not had this type of issue however I think it is another fault or issue on overall entertainment unit. Because I always have a problem with Apple Car Play and every time i bring my car in the service Subaru says they don’t know and couldn’t do anything about that which is really frustrating. Unless they see very obvious mechanical problem this is what they try to avoid their responsibility, I guess. As they said to you “AM signal weaker”... I don’t believe that. It was just a lame excuse. That is why i am not going to recommend Subaru and not going to buy it when I buy my next car down the track.
Wish the problem will be resolved soon.

Jan K

Thanks for your feedback, it’s all very frustrating. I have booked my car in to have the radio checked on Monday but they have told me if they don’t deem there is a problem, I will have to pay an hours wages which is $165! I’m obviously in the wrong business!

Scotty74

If you research there have been issues with these head units, talk to your dealer after you do some research, our unit has frozen twice and they offered to replace it if it does it again. Also we have issues sometimes with connecting to apple play with my wife’s 10, It maybe a software issue with the phone however as my 7 has no issues at all. Subaru know there’s an issue with the head units and often a software update fixes the glitches so try that at your next service, if you still have issues requests they replace the head unit under warranty. Under consumer law Subaru has an obligation to replace the head unit if faulty, don’t fall for the mechanical issue crap! Sorry it really frustrates me when dealers try and stoop customers. You have to remember dealers are just representing the Subaru brand, go to Subaru direct if you need to. Also research the lemon laws and consumer laws in relation to vehicles and know your rights. Need any further help just message me.

Geoffasked
XV

I had my valve springs replaced as per recall, since having it done my car labours a lot more than it did before this was done & really lacks power, it is a 2013 model manual with 83,000ks, I have taken it back twice now & they can't find anything wrong with it, they say it's just the way Subaru XV's are.....not happy with it & will never buy another Subaru again....this is it's 3rd recall...I had a Rav4 with 376,000 k's on it & would eat this XV...

Nak L.
Nak L.

Hi, I am having same issues on my 2012 XVi auto like loss of power and high fuel consumption. Also the rpms revs. Up and gears do not change timely. A recall was done to change the valves and brake switch. The engine was taken out. After that I am having issues. What was the solution to yours? Thanks

Geoff

I kept taking it back until they found the problem thanks to Daniel at Crorssroads Subaru...after being off the road for 22 days they found that Newcastle Subaru had put some part in the wrong way & they had damaged the clutch as well...they fixed the problem after so many different attempts & replacing the clutch it was going alright for about 2 months & then the clutch started to shudder...I tried to get them.to replace the clutch again but wouldn't come to the party....i got Better Brakes to replace the clutch & it has been running fine....but now it has gone thru 4.5 litres.of oil in 2 months since it's last service....I'm so friggin disappointed with it... I think the 2012 ,2013 models were lemons.i would never buy another Subaru & wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one...Cheers

Anne asked
XV

I have a MY2015 XV which I love, but the audio quality for the person I call when using Bluetooth hands free phone connection is woeful, even with the latest Samsung top of the range phone. I can hear fine, but terrible background noise for call recipient makes it virtually unusable. Has there been any improvement with later models in this regard? Many thanks.

Hi Anne
I cannot comment on your 2015 model as mine is a 2018 model with the new technology infotainment system
The original bluetooth sound with my vehicle was always crystal clear from day one and remains so with the 2019 update .
My mobile was a Samsung Galaxy S5 ( 2014) and I only recently upgraded to Samsung Galaxy A8
Therefore, even with the old Samsung my blue tooth was clear
It would seem obvious that your sound quality issue is with your Subaru software
Have you ever updated your software?
You may have to pay for it as your vehicle is out of warranty
Good luck

Anne

Thanks, CM, that sounds like something I need to check out. Great to know that the 2018 model’s sound quality is good, as I’m thinking about upgrading. Based on reviews at the time, it seemed that inferior quality with earlier models may have been a common experience, but updating the software could be the thing to try. Many thanks for your response.

JodsGasked
XV

Have a 2014 XV has used five liters of oil since the end on February 2019 now 10th of June... Car now surging not accelerating correctly lagging even at 60kms per hr ? Thanks Jods

Simon D

It does surge a bit when the engine isn't warmed up yet, need to take it easy on the acceleration when it is still cold.

JodsG

Yes just spent $500 again since Feb service burning oil ... had new plugs fitted

Scotty74

Yeah Simon ours does the same, al reported it to Subaru at my first service and they said it was normal, l had them however record it on my service history should anything come up in the future.

Ron B.
Ron B.asked
XV G5X (2017-2021)

How do you adjustment the outside mirrors from inside car on2019 xv

Simon D

There should be a knob on the driver door, where you control all the windows. Its a joystick, so you select which side you want to change and move it in the right direction like a direction pad

mrs pickles
mrs picklesasked
XV

2014 Subaru xv 2000 does this model have gps included as a standard feature of the car many thanks

Simon D

No, it only has the basic entertainment system with a small screen. Though it does include bluetooth

Jenny L.
Jenny L.asked
XV

I have a 2017 subaru xv. The ignition key has started to intermittently get stuck in the ignition. I have gone through the process of starting the car, putting it into drive then back to park. Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. The key gets stuck in that last turn before you remove it from the barrel.
Any tips or ideas?

John M

I have the same problelm with the my 2017 XV. A search of the internet shows this is a common problem worldwide (Crosstrek = XV in US). Looks like some sort of solenoid needs replacing. I will try get it fixed under warranty.

John M

Further update: Have booked in with Subaru for repair under waranty this week. They seem to recognise the issue and had no hesitation in fixing under warranty. Problem is a switch in gearbox. Takes about 2 hours to repair.

Scotty74

Nice, just remember you have consumer laws, don’t be afraid to fight for them. If you google Australian consumer vehicles laws you will get an array of information. Also if you have an issue with your vehicle do what John did, research it and then take your findings to your dealer armed with your new consumer knowledge. You also have to remember your dealer is just a representative of the car manufacturer, don’t be afraid to approach the manufacturer if the dealer won’t assist.

Geegeeasked
XV G5X 2.0i-S AWD (2017-2021)

My radio goes off when my phone connects via blue tooth. How do I fix this?

Haydo P.
Haydo P.

I dont have an answer but I think have the same problem occurring n my car - have you found a fix?

Geegee

Sorry, I took my car to dealer who fixed the issue.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives