Subaru XV

• Features
Itempany
ItempanyFar North Queensland, QLD

Ancap 4 well worth it

Purchased in January 2015 at Subaru Dealers for $33,000.00.

BuckwheatPerth, WA

Good car - goes anywhere with a small boot.....

Purchased in April 2019.

Warren
WarrenMacArthur 2904, ACT
  • XV

Quality and safety excellence

Have always loved Subaru and purchased new in May 2018, this car doesn't disappoint. Has all the bells and whistles that make it easy to drive. Lots of safety features. It is not speedy car but is excellent for around town driving and comfortable on the highway. Really good fuel economy as well.

Purchased in May 2018 at Subaru Dealers for $36,500.00.

TransmissionAutomatic

Ok but not great!

Purchased in June 2015.

Jane M.
Jane M.The Mallee, VIC

Extremely Impressed!

I had never owned a Subaru before and cannot be happier with my purchase, I'm so impressed! The price point is amazing for all the features. We test drove other makes and models with the same features we were looking for but they couldn't beat or even come close to the price of the XV. Love Love Love my Subaru!!

Purchased in May 2018 at Innes Motors for $41,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Scotty74
Scotty74South East Queensland, QLD

Love this car

Purchased in July 2018 at Key star Subaru Rothwell for $37,500.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Please think carefully before buying this car!

Purchased in March 2018.

sweetsunset
sweetsunsetSydney, NSW

Excellent response CTV failure on XV Subaru from Subaru

Recently wrote about failure on the CTV on my XV Subaru with 135000 kms on the clock. Apparently this is not unusual after further investigation on my part. However Subaru have agreed to replace the failed part at their cost. Certainly worth asking the question.

Purchased in December 2014.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
CM
CMSydney

2018 XV disappearing phone favourites- now fixed

I wrote about this previously some time last year on my 2018 XV
Whenever I saved phone favourites on the head unit they would disappear the next day!
I have just downloaded and self installed the latest 2019 software and navigation update which was released 17 June 2019
The first test to see if Subaru have fixed this issue.Happy to advise that it now works perfectly and the phone favourites stay in the head unit contacts.
Much easier ,and safer now to make a call touching favourites instead of scrolling through the contact list while trying to keep your eyes on road!

Purchased in August 2018.

Suzanne GaffneySydney, NSW

CTV Transmission failure - again

Bought a brand new Subaru XV in 2014, have it serviced regularly and female driver. Suddenly after 135,000kms the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. After taking it to the local Subaru dealer was told CTV (Continuous Transmission Variable) would need to be replaced as a cost of $5000 , however they are seeking some relief from Subaru Japan. In the meantime turned on social media to find that it is an ongoing problem with the transmission and Subaru are very familiar with the issues surrounding the technology. Have refused to do a recall and leave their brand in tatters and the owners looking elsewhere for a different car. Be very wary when SUV shopping - stay away from Subaru

Purchased in December 2014 at Tynan Motors.

Suzanne Gaffney

Since posting my review, Subaru have agreed to replace the Transmission at their cost and the job has been completed successfully.

Simon D
Simon DGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great for small family or single people

I use this car for daily transport to locations and road trips but not off roads too much. The car is very comfortable, the seat are well put together so sitting for long period of times does not impact your body as much as other cars. It is also very fuel efficient if you drive long distance and smooth, you don't feel the car switching gears or hear any sounds as it is quiet.

Only down side to this is boot space, it doesn't have enough space to fit more than 2-3 peoples worth of luggage depending on how much you bring as it got compensated for bigger room space for the people in the back seat

Purchased in January 2015 at Subaru Dealers for $31,000.00.

Janelle
JanelleIllawarra, NSW

Great little car

I needed a high wheel base vehicle. I bought a demo model that had all the safety tech. It is a smooth ride, my dad loves it, even my Euro car fan beloved loves it. I would like a little better fuel efficiency and the Carplay only works intermittently but otherwise I really like this car. Never had anything so new and hi tech!

Purchased in October 2018 for $34,800.00.

Noise Level
Donna G
Donna GSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great driving

New to Subaru, great driving so far, however, very new so no apparent issues currently. Would like to see automatic lock feature, always appreciated that in my previous car. Only local driving to date, used for business, planning a small road trip to test more features.

Purchased in April 2019 at Von Bibra.

Lini
LiniSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great buy

I commute to work and drive close to 100kms a day. Smooth drive and love its intelligent cruise control. Not a great fan of the lane assist due to the fact that it only detects solid lines on the road. Very very fuel efficient.

Purchased in January 2019 for $33,000.00.

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

saigon
saigonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

JDP
JDP

Great car, bit small for a family

Great car, moves well. Nice to drive unless hill assist is on then very sluggish. Pity it doesn't come in turbo diesel. Auto cruise control is great. Crash assist sometimes pulls the car up unessecary which can be frustrating

Purchased in January 2018.

CJQ
CJQCanberra

Multiple Paint Chips totally spoil an otherwise great little car

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedDec 2017
Karen G
Karen GBrisbane

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJune 2012
JSFWSouth East Queensland, QLD

I Love my XV!

Purchased in October 2018.

JSFW

6 months down the track and I still love it. I can fit my golf clubs and buggy in the boot and I guess thats pretty good! Radio still drifts in and out whereas it doesn't in the other car. It's my daily drive so already over 6K Kms. :-)

John
JohnSydney, NSW

CVT not good

This car is great except for one MAJOR glaring fault. It has a CVT transmission which shudders and jerks in bumper to bumper situations (Sydney traffic) at low speeds, when the revs are between 1000 and 18000 rpm.
Not a comfortable driving situation. Seems like it is on the verge of stalling. If it wasn't for that extremely annoying trait this would be an excellent car. The problem is so bad I am going to sell it and NEVER buy another CVT transmission. Also - I have researched this issue and it is obvious it is not just my car but a design fault. American owners are requesting a recall or a lawsuit.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
priceless21
priceless21South East Queensland, QLD

Great car - no regrets buying it

Okay I am not a car buff so I just wanted a comfy car that is safe and useful.
This is our main car - but I have kept my old Jazz as second car. (The Jazz has a bigger boot though)
Love the car very much and the eyesight safety is brilliant. So safe and this made it very cheap it insure - less than $500 comprehensive.
Love all the features, but wish the boot was as big as the Jazz.
Cost wise it was amazing value really. So pleased we bought it.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
GSN
GSNMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So happy with XV!! Excellent AWD

Decided to upgrade our car from sedan to small SUV. Did all our works to find right car.
Young family with two kids who love camping, so our priority is good safety rating, good leg room @ back seat, fuel efficiency and good luggage space.

Our finalists are Subaru XV and Mazda CX3. When we went to showroom to test drive we decided to go with XV. So happy with our choice.

Not much luggage space is our only negative, but purchased roof pod and during camping time just fix the pod and issue solved.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Stevomelbourne

2018 XV L great car so far

Date PurchasedJune 2018
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Stevo, Thank you so much for your excellent review! It’s great to hear that 2 years on you are still enjoying your Subaru. If we could ask one favour, we would love to see this on Google reviews. Happy driving @Stevo! The Subaru Team.

Stevo

No thanks I stay as far away from Google as i can, and at the risk of sounding snarky nobody at Subaru has done me any favours unless i pay for it.

Practical, Safe rugged car

I am now on my sixth Subaru. From the Sportswagon, two Foresters, and Impreza, and Outback and now a 2018 XV. I've had nothing but reliability. No Subaru has ever let me down or cost me a fortune. The XV is the best car ever. The Safety tech ad creature features are just amazing.
I have only ever got these cars serviced once a year, on their birthday, by the dealer. I do about 10Km per year. 80% in town, the rest off-road. I don't do mods to them, just add some amateur radios and antennae. Go Subaru!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi there, we are are sorry to hear of your experience and the way that you feel. We would like to further investigate and look into this issue. Could you please reach out to us with further details at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will assign your email to a case manager. We hope to hear from you!
Regards The Subaru Team

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

Regards The Subaru Team

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Subaru XV

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions