Subaru XV

• Comfort
  • Features
Wisey
WiseyToowoomba

About the best in our application - all considered.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Simon
SimonMelbourne

Still going strong

My XV was bought in 2012 when it first released in Australia. I was one of the lucky ones to drive the first shipment stock. After 6 years of driving it around, it still going strong without any machinically issue. It is so reliable that I decided not to upgrade it to the second generation XV. The CVT works very well with the 2.0 engine. I never use it for any towing so the CVT and 2.0 engine are just perfect for my daily urban travel and sometimes rural adventures. I guess my biggest dislike is the price to update the GPS but it is no big deal as Google Map is always there in my phone.

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Louie
LouieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Love it

Fantastic.. so much fun to drive. This is my 4th Subaru and I wont buy anything else, each one has surpassed the last. the vehicle is comfortable and roomy with all the options you could want. Most complaints I see are that they are short on power. Drive it like you stole it...... that's how they like to be driven. If you keep the revs up, there is plenty of power there for a 4 cylinder / 2 litre vehicle.

TransmissionManual

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

2018 XV top of the range S Series,6K on the clock in 4weeks.

Mountains, hills, freeway, off-road, dirt corrugated tracks, car parks, pancake flat irrigation country, city peak ,CBD ,snow, rain, hail, flood, mud ,rocks, sand, gravel, dust and the tar all across SE Australia.-Sweet! .No issues. Relaxed driving. What more can you ask of a vehicle and with a 5 year warranty!
5.9-6.6 Litre /100 k Country, 7.7-8.2 City, 4WD off road 8.5-9.
Great all around car. Not a race car by any stretch, but more than capable with 21st century ergonomics and safety.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Plesantly surprised

Excellent dynamics
Good performance once you get used to the cvt's linear characteristics
Bullet proof engineering and quality
It's got enough power if you rev the happily revving engine
Don't pay too much attention to the critics about the power output being too low
Comfy and quite ride
Only criticism is the sound system being below expectations.

Date PurchasedJune 2018

What a disgraceful automobile.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Crappy Little Car

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Tony
TonySydney

Unhappy with car shudders at low speed

Badge2.0i Special Edition
Date PurchasedDec 2017
Marie
MarieAdelaide

Stylish & Economical

I am so happy with this car. It is so economical the fuel tank lasts so long compared to previous cars. It is really smooth to drive. The interior is sleek and although it may not seem like there is enough room it fits my car seat, pram & dog on holidays including or luggage. It is quite spacious. I mainly bought this car for the look but I couldn’t be happier with the way it runs and it makes me feel very safe as a bit higher up as I have been in a car accident previously. If I ever purchase another car it will definitely be from Subaru!

Date PurchasedMar 2016
GT2036
GT2036Sydney

Excellent value, great to drive and economical

The interior is well planned, spacious and has quality features. The driving position and vision are exceptional. I am getting 5-6L/100km for highway driving and 7-8L/100km for urban driving. Steering is light and responsive. Eyesight features like adaptive cruise control and safety warnings are impressive. Very happy with my choice.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Alena
AlenaSydney

Shaking on low speeds

Hate this car! We were disappointed after 2 days of driving it. We just bought the 2018 Subaru XV and it shakes on low speeds. I always get stuck in traffic coming back from work and the whole 50 minutes I drive 20-30km/h. The car shakes and shudders the whole time and it feels that it's gone choke and stop. Hasn't fully stopped yet, though.

When we took it to the service we were told it's a software issue, they have an update for Impreza but not for XV. We were told to live with it until and if Subaru makes a software update for XV.

I don't recommend this car to anyone.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Michelle Martinez
Michelle MartinezSydney, NSW

love my car

It was time for a quality car. I'm 50 now so stylish luxury it had to be. I specifically wanted beige interior and thankfully Subaru delivered. This car drives smooth and makes every journey a pleasure. The dark tint is beautiful and the instrumentation is easy on the eye. Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedJune 2017

RaymoRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Easy to drive, economical high clearance car

I live in a country area with worn, potholed dirt roads with high centres that occasionally flood. The high clearnce of this car is ideal, it handles very well in all conditions and so far is reliable .

I downsized from an Xtrail and it occassionally feels a bit small for carrying gear, but it is a smaller grade of car.

It has also devolped the strangest internal squeaks, which are not mechanical.

Otherwise a great little car - 6.9l per 100k without aircon, 7.4l per 100k with aircon.

No complaints, a well engineered car that is a pleasure to drive in all weathers.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
chillout0000
chillout0000Brisbane

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!

This car drives ok providing you do not drive under 40kms per hour. It stutters and shudders almost to the point of stopping. I have been told by Subaru that I need to modify my driving. After taking it back to Subaru many many times they haves said that it is a “characteristic” of the vehicle. Funny how they dont mention this in their shiny brochures. I drove a 2017 XV and loved it, but it appears that the 2018 release has this problem. I have found other 2018 owners and the problem is consistent with this model. Subaru do not have a fix - they admit it is a problem and basically we (and others) have been told to just live with it. NOT GOOD ENOUGH SUBARU!!!!!!! Fix it or give me (us) a refund...........

Peter
PeterSouth East Queensland, QLD

Low speed CVT shudder on new MY18 XV

BadgeXV Premium
Date PurchasedDec 2017
Jerry
JerryLaverton, Victoria

Bit expensive, but good drive

I had this car for almost 3 years now. I believe car was expensive at the time of purchase whem compared to competitors. However, I am happy with mild off road use. Ride is bit hard on free way. Good as a used car because quality will be ok for long term use

Date PurchasedMar 2014
Lou
LouCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

CVT problems commenced 98 000ks

Date PurchasedMay 2015

It is a perfect car.

The feel-good drive of the year, the all-new Subaru XV has been completely reimagined for a smoother and roomier ride while delivering gripping performance on the road. Superb production design brings more tech, more efficiency and more fun than ever before. The all-new Subaru XV stars more of your favourite features as standard, All-Wheel Drive, advanced technology for increased fuel efficiency, a super large touchscreen.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Review
Review

Needs more power and the option of a manual transmission

The new subaru xv has decent handling and always feels well planted. Its higher ride gives you enough clearance for some mild off road driving. The interior is fine and easy to use. I am disappointed with the power that the car has, it is ok for an everyday drive but struggles with quick acceleration, going up steep hills and overtaking. I would have also liked to have the option of a manual transmission

bob
bob

Great car but too much technology.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Nayes
NayesTas, 7248

I love it!

The driving experience is just ok, the handling is fantastic. I love the interior, it has a reverse camera but the downside is it doesn’t beep when you are in reverse to let you know you are too close. It’s stylish inside and out, th is another downside with the bootspace...not big enough!

captainshaft
captainshaftBrisbane

Worst performing Japanese car I owned

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Subaru XV

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions