Subaru XV

• Comfort
  • Features
Bob
BobPerth, WA

Not good value for money

Date PurchasedSept 2016
Mossdan7
Mossdan7Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Pure Japanese car

The car has good performance especially on semi auto gear, as Subaru XV has Boxer engine which more powerful than others same class. This car is 100% made in Japan where overall had quality of Japanese technology. Interior is very good, plenty leg room for passengers and also plenty boot room for surf board with folding rear seat. Running costs not to bad, 5.6L /100I'm. Overall luv this car good for off road.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Patch
PatchMelbourne

Uberrated & Great small SUV

Bought my wife a 2013 2.0-S back in 2015 & still she comments on the handling/drive/overall package.

- Superior AWD system.
- Very underrated vehicle in comparison to other common brands.
- A great little SUV.
- Drive one to understand the engineering behind these vehicle.

Definitely recommend one over other common brands.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

T Mohan
T MohanADELAIDE

Best in its class

I had a choice of CX3 and XV. I test drove both the vehicles before buying the XV. I selected this car for it's technology and spacious interior.
The driving experience is far far better than Mazada CX3. The car packed with a lots of technology and safety features. Road noise is better than Mazada CX3.
Rarely I noticed that the engine struggles when try to accelerate at 7th gear (CVT). The boot is small but bigger than CX3. The front and rear autonomous braking and alert are amazing.
Dash board and interior are premium and built well.
Bought the optional 3 years extended warranty for ~AU$1600 for peace of mind.
Runs cheap and very much happy with the car.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
boggle103ormeau

Very Good BUT

Bought my XV my2018 as an EOFY special, chose Premium as best value. Organised some accessories to be fitted asap. Wind deflectors and door protectors brilliant, more on Rear Sensors later VIP.
The vehicle manual is huge but poorly organised, e.g. how to set up automatic dimming of central screen (Maps) at night.
The handling, brakes, comfort, upholstery, power (should have a turbo) have been mentioned by others.
BUT the Subaru aftermarket rear sensor sound alarm volume is hard to hear because the minute speaker is housed near the tail light on the passenger side. It is not effective as a warning device, seems the S model has a volume control, after-market installs do not.

Badge2.0i-P
Date PurchasedJune 2017
boggle103

The Subaru after-market rear sensor is dangerous and should be withdrawn, BECAUSE the volume is so low it will not alert the driver to a danger eg child.
Become responsible and valid - check it then print it.
What does Suby say?

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
SunnyMelbourne

Nice little car with heaps of safety gadgets.

Suburu xv MY18, owned it for a month now and quite satisfied with the performance.
Interior and exterior is top notch on S model.
Safety features and far better than the previous model.
Mileage is around 9, 10 litre per 100 km in city.
The interior dash is hard to clean as micro fiber cloth sticks to dash whilst cleaning, will be asking dealer what material to use to clean it.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
Sunny

Use the wet chamois to clean the dashboard!

Rick
RickAtherton Qld.

Meets the mark

This is a dream to drive. It handles well but just a tad under powered, which shows up when needing that extra Acceleration. The gearbox, however, compensates with the correct ratio of engine revs. Extremely comfortable, which alleviates fatigue on a long trip. The only negative thing about the interior is the orange stitching, which argues with some exterior colors. On a trip the economy drops to 6.5/100.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
andrewh1970
andrewh1970Burnie

Very happy

Purchased in 2013, have been very happy over the last 4 years (125000 km). Great to drive, running costs are ok, haven't had any major issues so far. One or two minor issues, main one being it always seems to run low on oil within the last 5k before a service is due. Placement of rear vision mirror could have been better.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Tim S
Tim SFar North Queensland, QLD

A great concept poorly executed by Subaru

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Dan
Dansydney

Perfect Mix

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Margaret S
Margaret SPerth

Hopeless amount of luggage space

Date PurchasedJune 2014
Sheree
Sheree

Bluetooth phone connection terrible

2017 just purchased brand new . Pros - drives nice and comfortable . Cons - small boot and my biggest issue is the Bluetooth connection is terrible and people can not hear me on the other end. Subaru service has looked st this and said nothing is wrong . I use for work and need good phone connection so I am really disappointed .

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Did everything soundly

Date PurchasedJuly 2013
happycustomer
happycustomer

Upgraded due to having a baby. Reliable cad with great features such as reverse camera, sensors and

Very reliable and ready to drive. Full tank costs me 70-80 bucks and will last me a month. Love the leather seats and bug biit to fit a pram. Driving is smooth and easy to steer. Very quiet to drive and easy to drive with reverse camera and sensors. Great car.

Hammie
HammieHobart

Subaru XV S series Manual - Great - just needs a few little touches to be perfect

Purchased a new top of the range S series XV mainly because it is a cheaper than other similar cars from other makers and sits a little higher. In hyper blue it looks awesome, but it also handles well, has nice manual transmission, is very comfortable with good passenger room and a medium sized boot area. Hill-start assist is great too and it has performed perfectly so far (3 months). Missing only a couple of things: sunglass holders, keyless entry on rear passenger doors, front engine hood needs stand (doesn't hold up by itself). Would I buy another one - yes, an auto once the learner drivers leave home!

ads
adscanberra

Very impressed

Purchased our XV with the expectation that it would get us off the beaten track. Overall very impressed with how well it does this. Ground clearance is excellent, drive up a very steep incline on loose rock was quite a surprise, handled it with no problems at all. This was a really good purchase and does the job that we wanted it to do, if not more.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
BJH
BJHBrisbane

My Wife deserved the Upgrade

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Travelling Frogs
Travelling FrogsHunter Region, NSW

Overall a great car

I bought a brand new Subaru XV last July and overall I am very impressed . I went for the top of the line with leather interior and a number of other upgrade features. The car rides and handles really well and is pretty good without being excellent on fuel - about 450-500kms / tank but that is a lot of short trips and the one longer trip I did it was more like 750km/tank.
If I was to nominate a less redeeming feature it would the front and rear bumper bars would not offer any protection in an accident and would not handle much of a bump at all for them to crack or split. We are talking quite flimsy here.

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedJuly 2016
BadgeXV
Shakey
Shakey

Generally very good, has issues and annoyances however

Date PurchasedApr 2012
Jen
JenPerth

All for the driver!!

Love my Subaru xv. We down sized for fuel savings and it has really one me over. On average driving, lots of hillls I am getting 7.4L/100km. We drove to kalgoorlie and it was sitting at 6.6L/100km. Handles beautifully. Have had to stop in angry for kangaroos and it pulled up straight and very quickly. Only one problem is the small boot, we have put a roof rack on though to help with that.
Family car and I feel very safe in it.

Badge2.0i Special Edition
Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Absolute rubbish

The rear suspension is too tight or something and can't go over speed humps like a normal car as the noise is terrible. Sounds like its fully contracting really quickly. Could be easily fixed with better shocks I believe it seems to be on the rear drivers side. Brought the car brand new complained to dealer they didn't believe me we took 2 other XVs for a drive same issue answer from Subaru is don't go over speed humps too quickly. My reply is not only is my 2011 I20 more sophisticated I can go a lot faster over speed humps with no horrendous noise coming from the suspension.

Date PurchasedNov 2015
Launchmore
LaunchmoreMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So far, very impressed.

We've only had the car for several months, but so far, it has been excellent. No hiccups. Smooth ride. Plenty of leg space, especially for backseat passengers. Easy to park. Excellent air-con. Stereo not too bad - not top quality, but otherwise absolutely fine. Overall, a very positive purchase - no regrets at all.

Date PurchasedJune 2016
Annette
Annette

It's the first and last Subaru I'll buy

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Charu
CharuSydney

Great Car with few things which can be improved!

We bought Subaru XV last month and till now loving the car. It's a compact SUV, has a lot of space, when the back seats are folded down. Love the sun roof!
Minor things which we didn't like is updating the maps for the GPS is very expensive and the music system isn't great (love my speakers on my Toyota Camry)!
Overall a great car!

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi there, we are are sorry to hear of your experience and the way that you feel. We would like to further investigate and look into this issue. Could you please reach out to us with further details at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will assign your email to a case manager. We hope to hear from you!
Regards The Subaru Team

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

Regards The Subaru Team

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Subaru XV

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions