G4X, G5X

• Features
Carolyn B.
Carolyn B.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Five year use by

Great car until 5 years are up. Bought new, fully serviced at Subaru. Took it in for a service, quoted $626 received a call to tell me there were issues. New service bill...$7000!!!!!
The car has about 100 000km on it and usually only one driver. Rang customer service and they are looking in to it. The service centre offered me $6000 to buy my car from me. Less than the cost of the service. First and last Subaru I'll ever buy.

Purchased in March 2014 at Subaru Dealers for $33,000.00.

Daisy
DaisySouth East Queensland, QLD

Subaru XV valve body failure

June 2018 - needed to replace the value body ($2500 for the genuine part) - transmission lights on including failure of cruise control etc. October 2020 - the same problem has represented. Around 30,000K since June 2018. In 2018 - Subaru not interested in the problem. Here we go again!

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
MonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don’t bother unless you want a lemon

RPDAdelaide

Very disappointed

Never again will I buy a Subaru. Two years old and undriveable.
Subaru Australia are telling me it’s not a manufacturer fault so not covered under the 5 year warranty.
Those warranties are advertising to get people to buy the cars.

Purchased in June 2018 at Jarvis Cars.

TransmissionAutomatic
RPD

Have already received your response and verdict - in your opinion it is my problem and the fault of my mechanic despite evidence to the contrary.

Amanda
AmandaHunter Region, NSW

after my long history with Subaru it's now OVER.

I have always owned Subarus from early eighties and all log book serviced. My current XV (Mizuno edition) is my seventh Subaru. I converted my dad from Holden, my ex from Mazda, my sister from Toyota and my partner from Ford. I should have been on commission! Have been enquiring about purchasing 2020 XV. My car developed a strange whirring noise a few weeks ago, was told bearing in the clutch. Today at 119,000kms it all turned very ugly indeed. Not even game to drive my car to the dealership - loud screeching and clunking and almost non existant clutch. after reading some reviews here it would appear this is the new normal for Subaru. disgraceful - NEVER AGAIN.

Purchased in March 2011.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Amanda, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Subaru. If you would like to discuss this further, our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

CVT Transmission Solenoid

I’ve owned the vehicle since new (2015) and use it to commute to work. This is my third Subaru and they’ve never let me down. The AT temp light came on (along with all the other warning lights) at 115,000k. The local Subaru dealer informed me the transmission solenoid had failed and will cost $3400 for the part only (possibly a $4.5K to $5K job). They also stated ‘we’ve been getting a few of these lately’. I’ve been told this is an emerging problem but no extended warranty or good will? The vehicle will be payed off in October, I was planning to purchase another.....

Purchased in October 2015.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Year2015
SubaruSubaru Australia

CVT Transmission issue and many more issue

Purchased in June 2012 for $39,000.00.

Melanie
MelanieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Sub standard motors

Purchased in August 2017 for $22,000.00.

CathyPerth, WA

Total Disappointment

Timing chain inside the engine came adrift and bent the valves in the head and caused extensive damage to the motor. We have a 5 year & 9 month old car which has done 114,000km (serviced according to the manufacturer’s requirements) and are now up for a new motor. Extremely disappointed with Subaru who want to charge us $1000 for a diagnostic review. Very unimpressed. For a car which we thought would last us a long time we are very disappointed.

Purchased in September 2014.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Cathy, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your XV. Our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au to discuss this further so please feel free to contact us. Thank you. The Subaru Team.

tan l.
tan l.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Subaru XV 2012 - CVT Transmission issue and will cost $10000 to replace

I took my Subaru XV 2012 for a checkup due to abnormal noises under the bonnet and was told that I needed a new transmission. It was going to cost me $10,000. I thought that Subaru cars were reliable, but unfortunately I was very wrong. It was reliable in the past, but not in this current market. The USA Subaru offers extended warranties on 1.5 million automatic transmissions, but the Australian Subaru doesn't. I think that this is very sad. I definitely will never buy another car from Subaru again.

Purchased in March 2012 at Subaru Dealers for $38,000.00.

disappointed
disappointedDarling Downs, QLD

transmission fails at 120,000kms

Subaru XV all warning lights came on. tracked to a failed solenoid in autotransmission. car 2013 model but only done 120,000kms and serviced religiously. car used around town with regular long distance driving. hoped to have this car for 20 years but this is the second issue with car {last was wheel bearings one week after a Subaru service}. is going to cost over $4,000 to fix.

Purchased in December 2012 at Subaru Dealers.

Peter H.
Peter H.South East Queensland, QLD

Failure

We bought a XV in 2013 for wife and have since sold to daughter after we purchased another XV (2018) believing we had a good run with first one. We did all the servicing at the dealership then at approx 140000km the problems started. Using oil, sensor issues and CTV failure. Americans have two of these issues fully repaired under warranty and/or court order but not here. Subaru have offered to pay for 80% parts but no labour for CTV problem. The engine oil use is of more concern as this could end up costing a whole lot more for a problem that i'm told they where aware of (and repaired under warranty in America).
Buyer beware!!!!

Purchased in December 2012 for $29,000.00.

Another CVT Transmission Failure

BoughtNew
Year2013
Suzanne GaffneySydney, NSW

CTV Transmission failure - again

Bought a brand new Subaru XV in 2014, have it serviced regularly and female driver. Suddenly after 135,000kms the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. After taking it to the local Subaru dealer was told CTV (Continuous Transmission Variable) would need to be replaced as a cost of $5000 , however they are seeking some relief from Subaru Japan. In the meantime turned on social media to find that it is an ongoing problem with the transmission and Subaru are very familiar with the issues surrounding the technology. Have refused to do a recall and leave their brand in tatters and the owners looking elsewhere for a different car. Be very wary when SUV shopping - stay away from Subaru

Purchased in December 2014 at Tynan Motors.

Suzanne Gaffney

Since posting my review, Subaru have agreed to replace the Transmission at their cost and the job has been completed successfully.

What a disgraceful automobile.

Badge2.0i
TransmissionCVT
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedOct 2013

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi there, we are are sorry to hear of your experience and the way that you feel. We would like to further investigate and look into this issue. Could you please reach out to us with further details at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will assign your email to a case manager. We hope to hear from you!
Regards The Subaru Team

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

Regards The Subaru Team

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions