G4X, G5X

• Features
Damien
DamienSydney, NSW

Oil issues

Nice looking car but don't bother buying it. The XV will chew through oil as it gets older, and their service centre support is terrible (looking at you Subaru Parramatta).

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Damien, We're sorry to hear of your experience. You're welcome to contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

vrxbeachboy
vrxbeachboy

Important Features I did not realise before my purchase. I thought Subarus Were better.

Purchased in August 2019 at Suttons for $35,000.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @vrxbeachboy, were so sorry to hear you had a bad experience when purchasing your XV. Please be assured that your feedback is appreciated, and we will be sure to pass it on to our Product and Planning team. Thank you.

Please think carefully before buying this car!

Purchased in March 2018.

Find out how Subaru XV compares to other Small / Compact SUVs

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

saigon
saigonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
John
JohnSydney, NSW

CVT not good

This car is great except for one MAJOR glaring fault. It has a CVT transmission which shudders and jerks in bumper to bumper situations (Sydney traffic) at low speeds, when the revs are between 1000 and 18000 rpm.
Not a comfortable driving situation. Seems like it is on the verge of stalling. If it wasn't for that extremely annoying trait this would be an excellent car. The problem is so bad I am going to sell it and NEVER buy another CVT transmission. Also - I have researched this issue and it is obvious it is not just my car but a design fault. American owners are requesting a recall or a lawsuit.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Badge2.0i
Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Tony
TonySydney

Unhappy with car shudders at low speed

Badge2.0i Special Edition
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Bob
BobPerth, WA

Not good value for money

Date PurchasedSept 2016
Annette
Annette

It's the first and last Subaru I'll buy

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Oil consumer

The XV did not have the same build quality of previous (4) Subarus, but with constant 4WD, and good equipment levels was initially seen to be a good buy. In the first 2 weeks we experienced a dead battery on multiple occasions, which we had changed out by the dealer with little fuss, but our major issue was with excessive engine oil use. Engine oil warning light first came on at 4500km's and required topping up (over $100 for 5l bottle), and for every 4500km's later, almost a litre of oil was required each time. Discussed with Subaru and dealers, and on every occasion, were fobbed off explaining the oil use as being normal and acceptable. This was not acceptable to me and the result was we sold the car and bought a Toyota.

Badge2.0i
TransmissionManual
Dave974
Dave974AU

Thankfully it was a courtesy car

Badge2.0i-L

Disappointed in xv

Car done 25000 been back 5 times to top up with oil now doing oil consumption test done it twice burning half a litre per 1000 km and still no answer or compensation from Subaru I want what I paid for take car back and give me the proper product very disappointed

Grant Mather
Grant MatherAU

New Subaru XV 2012 6sp Manual

TransmissionManual
refiner
refiner

when did you buy this car? I just signed a sale contract w/ them last saturday for a subaru xv as well.

David4588
David4588

Had our XV since June 202. No problems at all.

Wombat
Wombat

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi there, we are are sorry to hear of your experience and the way that you feel. We would like to further investigate and look into this issue. Could you please reach out to us with further details at feedback@subaru.com.au and we will assign your email to a case manager. We hope to hear from you!
Regards The Subaru Team

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

Regards The Subaru Team

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions