G4X, G5X

Purchased in March 2013.

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia
George O.

I have already contacted your customer relations team as mentioned in my post, twice actually.

Ok but not great!

Badge2.0i-S
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Karen G
Karen GBrisbane

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJune 2012
Jerry
JerryLaverton, Victoria

Bit expensive, but good drive

I had this car for almost 3 years now. I believe car was expensive at the time of purchase whem compared to competitors. However, I am happy with mild off road use. Ride is bit hard on free way. Good as a used car because quality will be ok for long term use

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Review
Review

Needs more power and the option of a manual transmission

The new subaru xv has decent handling and always feels well planted. Its higher ride gives you enough clearance for some mild off road driving. The interior is fine and easy to use. I am disappointed with the power that the car has, it is ok for an everyday drive but struggles with quick acceleration, going up steep hills and overtaking. I would have also liked to have the option of a manual transmission

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Tim S
Tim SFar North Queensland, QLD

A great concept poorly executed by Subaru

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Margaret S
Margaret SPerth

Hopeless amount of luggage space

Date PurchasedJune 2014

Has annoying details

Date PurchasedMar 2016
purplewombat
purplewombatIllawarra, NSW

Major Design Fault Spoils An Otherwise Good Vehicle!

Xv oil consumption

2012 xv using excessive oil,ran out of oil once,on third oil consumption test. The first test Subaru over filled by 7mm on dipstick,so how trustworthy are they when they measure oil burn, 1st test used 800ml over 3000km,2nd test 650 ml over 3000km, local dealer said its normal to burn 1litre per 2000km, been dealing with this for 9 months ,it's a joke,time to start making people accountable,very dissappointed with response,they also want to look hard at their slogan all for the driver,

ant
ant
Ken
KenSydney, NSW

Horizontally Opposed Piston Engine in a SUV

I have just test driven a Subaru XV Sports 2014. During an emergency braking exercise I have noticed that the whole Engines shakes and I felt like something is going to fall apart.

I wonder if that is due to the centre of gravity being higher in a SUV than a Sports car where similar type of Horizontally Opposed Piston Engines are used by some manufacturer.

janSydney, NSW

benjsc
benjsc

Subaru has acknowledged a fault on many models of cars related to poor piston rings. If you keep using oil demand they follow the procedure to validate if your entitled for new piston rings at their cost

jan

They have replaced the piston rings and 3 weeks later I ran out of oil on the weekend after having driven 400km since they "fixed" it. Now back in the workshop for another look. NOT HAPPY

Subaru xv using excesse oil

My 25 year old daughter bought her first new car and since she had it has been back and forth to the repairer with using to much oil they keep telling us this is normal i have never heard of a new car using this much oil we going to take this further and lodge our complaint with the court as getting nothing back from subaru very dissapointed if they new the new subaru use oil we should of been informed as my daughter would never have purchased this car

Using way to much oil

Lee
Lee
XV Owner
XV Owner

I and three others I know have the same issues with our XV's. Check out the SubaruXVforum under ReidyXV under Oil Consumption, email the guy there and we will try to get a group action against Subaru.

exfarmer rodney
exfarmer rodney

Disappointed
Disappointed asked
XV

I am really disappointed with my Subaru XV. I have always been an advocate for Subarus and was excited to be able to buy this burnt orange XV back in 2016 brand new. I bought the additional warranty to cover me for 7 years. Within 6 months the silver cover on the internal front doors was all scratched and looking terrible, and I’m not rough with my possessions and look after them well, then an oil leak from the engine in under 3 years which I had to fight to get warranty for ending up taking the vehicle to another dealer over 100km from my home and now I can not open my back gate. It started opening by itself, clicking on and off and then refusing to open at all. Once again my local dealers tell me this is not warranty and I’ll have to pay around $700 to get it fixed with a new switch (?). I can’t understand why I have to fight for things that should not be faulty , I don’t have lots of km on my vehicle and I did pay for additional warranty - looks like I might have to change my mind about the brands I trust and believe in . Why do I have to fight for warranty and when did you stop caring about the quality of your cars?

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

goluke171
goluke171asked
XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2021)

What is the difference between g4x and g5x?
Is the boot design differently? I have someone giving me a cargo boot mat which fit the g4x model. Can it be used in my xv 2020?

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions