Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500

Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500 (page 2 of 5)

MPNs: 2079, 35902763 and BM4500

• Bread Quality & Consistency

Beekay

BeekayLogan

Not fit for purpose

Had mine for three days and three lots of bread with three fails. If the bread had turned out any heavier or harder I could have built a house from them. So a refund allowed me to get a good one and success first time. As an entry level bread machine I would never recommend it

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Martlark

Martlark

Inconsistent to the point of uselessness.

One in five times this machine gets things right. The other four times are random flops. Overflowing. Undercooking. Failure to rise. Brick like. You can't trust this thing to make any recipe consistently. Easier and cheaper to buy bread from Coles/Woolies. At least that is reliable. It's on a shelf in the garage now. Probably forever.

Pros:

Cheap

Cons:

Can't be relied upon.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Nelson

NelsonGoldcoast

heat element turns off

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Masterchef

MasterchefCentral, SA

Stainless steel perfect choice

have just used my Sunbeam Smart Bakehouse BM4500 for the first time. Raisin Bread loaf dough cycle double the amount of dough with this machine compared to my 12 year old Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake. I prefer to bake the conventional way in the oven gives me double the volume and a lovely baked loaf overall. Knowledge of bread making and how yeast works helps for successful bread making. A little more effort but worth it. This machine is so easy to use and clean afterwards. The stainless steel square look is a beautiful edtion to the kitchen bench. thanks Sunbeam for such a lovely machine.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Kiwi BK

Kiwi BKMelbourne

Giving up

Have tried and tried with this bread maker but finally giving up. I even had my parents bring over some of the great "surebake" yeast from NZ. Back home we had a Panasonic that always worked. This Sunbeam just has failing loaves time after time. You follow all the instructions perfectly with fresh ingredients but sure enough - a sunken dense mass of failure is all you get.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Amy

AmyColac

Flour

I had the same issues as a lot of people with bread not baking correctly not rising the only good thing i made was dough in the first month i tried everything different yeasts etc then i changed to a bakers flour and bingo bread is beautiful. Don't get me wrong every now and then i get one that sinks a little but still nice to eat. I hope this helps anyone that's having issues :-)

Date PurchasedSep 2017
srjh82

srjh82

Pretty poor

Date PurchasedOct 2014

agrtee with large percentage of reviews

we agree with the large number of complaints. bread sunken, undercooked , have tried all of the hints sunbeam, have posted still terrible bread. machine has been returned twice to sunbeam, still have to buy bread from super market -- bakehouse is a flop. we have never baked a good loaf using same laucke mixture as we have used in other bread makers

Date PurchasedFeb 2007
Jay Jay

Jay JayLady Barron

You get what you pay for

We always had a Breville Bakehouse but after several years it played up so we "saved" some money and ordered the Sunbeam. BIG mistake, not one loaf came out as we wanted, even when we used our own recipes, and the noise!!!!! Bought another Breville bakehouse and the Sunbeam sits in storage, with no one even looking at it when we had a garage sale.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Corina

CorinaSydney

Lovely bread but leave a hole.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Miffed

MiffedGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Waste of money. Just don't buy it.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Don't like it.

Date PurchasedApr 2014
GeoffnJan

GeoffnJangold coast

hole left in bread

I have a BM4500 and when i dig the blade out of the bread it leaves a hole and when i slice my bread my slice breakes almost in two. i cant make a sandwich out of it .. the bread looks good at a glance.. but the bread crumbles even when i toast it. so so disappointed

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Davesnothereman

DavesnotheremanPerth, Western Australia

Junk

Piece of rubbish. 9 out of 10 loaves do not rise despite me being very careful with ingredients. I have even tried it with the guy from the local bread mix shop who is a qualified baker.

If you do buy it, do so at your own risk.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Brick maker not bread maker

My parents bought this Sunbeam Bakehouse. We attempted 3 loaves and all 3 were inedible. The dough starts off looking normal but the machine over kneads and destroys the gluten elasticity which turns the dough into a thickened cream consistency. It rises slightly but then collapses on baking and turns out like a brick. We tried bread mix and a recipe from scratch from the Sunbeam manual. We took it back and paid a bit extra for the Panasonic. I have owned a Panasonic for 15 years which is still making great bread.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Not heating up

We've had the bread machine for a few months now and all was going well until it stopped heating and the bread was not cooking properly and not raising.
There is nothing in the troubleshooting to help remedy the problem, you'll only find fixes for your recipes. No help at all in mixing the problem

Unhappy Jan

Have only used this bread maker three times (purchased 6 weeks ago) as each loaf has been somewhat disappointing - not risen enough and sides over brown top sank as cooled. Have taught in food area for fourty years and believe it does not heat enough to activate yeast well enough. Machine barely got warm so a bit of a laugh beware not to get burnt when handling.
Will now persevere daily for a week using only ordinary white flour rather than mix etc and see what eventuates It will be returned if no better succ
ess

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Nice breadmaker and lovely bread

Really easy to use settings. A set and leave appliance. We had some issues initially with the bread sinking but this was easily rectified by using bread improver. The bread now looks, feels and tastes like bakery bread. Crunchy outer and soft and light inner. Our favourite is the pizza dough. Leaves the pizzas shop to shame.
The recipes in the back of the manuals are great and spot on with their measurements.
The only con is that the mixing paddle does leave an average size whole in the bottom of the bread. Not an issue of you tend not to eat the crust end of the loaf.

Aussie Reviewer

Aussie ReviewerAustralia, Melbourne

Absolute Garbage.

I expect much more from a big company, this product does leave a big hole in the bottom of your bread, and instruction is very plain and simple so you end up with sunken bread.
We use all fresh ingredients; our yeast was active too but still ended up with sunken bread.
The bread maker in my opinion is not worth your money or trouble. Honestly just neat, you bread on the bench and use an oven.
Much faster, less washing up,
“Perfect bread every time”

pieta

pietaperth

Improved bread maker

We have had a sunbeam bake house that was 25 years old and the kneading blade had always left us with a big hole in the bottom of the bread, Sunbeam has bought out an improved version, in that the kneading blade now collapses after the kneading process, I was absolutely amazed, now there is only a slight indent when bread has finished baking. Well done Sunbeam. We are very happy.

Brendan K.Sunbeam
See all Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500 reviews

Rachel K.asked

Hi I am wanting to know what the cycle on this is eg: knead, rest, rise etc, in particular how many rise cycles it does as I would like to be able to stop machine and take blade out before the baking cycle..thanks

Dot
Dot

Hi Rachel
It depends on what Menu you select. Any of the menus that cook the bread do a mix, knead, rise, knead, rise, cook cycle. Don't know what the Turbo ones do.
Great idea taking out the blade before the final rise! I'll try that from now on.
Looks like you have to be careful how long you hold the Start/Stop button as a press and hold for 2 -3 seconds will clear the selected menu.

Rachel K.

thought i might just turn the power off as it should hold its cycle, would be the same as a power cut

Hi,
There is no option to pause the bread maker during any of the cycles however It is normal for the bread maker to have built-in pauses between mix and bake functions. When in Turbo mode, the timer setting cannot be adjusted as the bread maker automatically sets a specific time for your bread (around 1 hour). The Timer settings can be adjusted in other modes from the menu this might be a option for you to be able to take the blades out. Caution: Kneading blade or the bonus blade hook will be hot. Allow bread to cool before removing blade.
Hopefully this helps you.

Cate

Cateasked

I received my 4500 today and have just put in my first load tonight. It kneads perfectly, but when the baking was supposed to start, it beeped six times and stopped. I tried the bake only setting and it still does the same thing (six beeps and stops). Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Hi Cate,
I have just sent you a private message if you could kindly respond via that please.

Susieq asked

I have a new sunbeam bake house compact. I’ve tried twice but each time the loaf comes out about 1/2 size and with a 2 inch frill of something of consistency of potato crisps at the top. Any suggestions?

Hi Susieq,
From the product manual it does state- Bread can be heavily affected by season and dry heat. Please add more water to bring the flour together if this occurs. It is normal for the height and shape of each loaf to vary depending on
the ingredients, accurate measurement of ingredients and the room temperature.
I have attached the product manual for you https://sunbeam-app-staging.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/BM4500_20EM1_%28ANZ%29_ba9fcb7d27.pdf & if you refer to pages 10-34 this will give you some recipes idea's & how to cook different types of bread which you might find useful.

Thank you so much.

Hi Susieq,
No trouble at all.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategoryBread Makers
Price (RRP) A$189.00
Max Loaf Size1 kg
FeaturesAutomatic Ingredients Dispenser, Gluten Free Setting, Keep Warm Function and Viewing Window
Preset Timer 15 hours