3Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle (page 2)

2.0

Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle164 reviews
Kimmy C
Kimmy CWAPerth, WA17 posts

Got 5 months out of it

Started off well, but in the past fortnight increasingly beeps at random temperatures, switches off below selected heat, and flashes DRY when it’s just been refilled. Pointless item. Purchased $149 David Jones, May 2018 - unable to use it October 2018. A waste of money and now I need to get a new one. Emailed requesting they send postage addressed box for return but no response. Poor product and poor customer service.

Sunbeam   DM

Hi Kimmy C. Sorry to hear of the issues you had with your KE9650. Did you email Sunbeam or David Jones re the return? If you contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861, they would be more than happy to assist.

Maria A
Maria ACARINDALE2 posts

Do not buy

I bought this kettle. Within s few months kid started playing up. My husband managed to fix it at the time. Now it won’t open at all. Disappointed because it’s a sunbeam product , bought in June 2017, now not in warranty. Should of taken back earlier to Myers where I purchased.

Sunbeam   DM

Hi Maria, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with your kettle. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 for further assistance.

Ana
AnaSydney11 posts
  KE9650

Horrible top doesn’t even open anymore have burnt myself trying to open multiple times

Have not owned many kettles before as they usually last for years however this time decided to splurge and buy a cafe series to match my other appliances. This is on the top price end for a kettle and can honestly say it’s the worst I have had within weeks of buying sometimes the buttons didn’t work and the top then stopped opening as the push lever is faulty. I now have to open manually which can result in major burns. This is not a good quality product in my opeinion based on these issues

Sunbeam   DM

Hi Ana, so sorry to hear your comments, please give us a call on 1300 881 861 to discuss.

Pearlz
PearlzNSWSydney, NSW64 posts

Love it

We bought this kettle in Myers and were hoping to receive a cash back, but no such luck. However, we bought it and brought it home hoping it would live up to all the hype. It is well designed with a good handle and easy to read water level. It also has easy to use buttons with the temperature you are wanting for green tea, coffee or white tea as well as sterilise and keep warm, and it is so quiet. I thought we had great kettles before but this one is THE best by far. Sunbeam is on a winner with this one.

Show details ·  1

john
johnMaryborough4 posts
  KE9650

Brand name kettle not worth buying

First sunbeam KE 9650 kettle was returned to Harvey Norman when lid would not open anymore within warranty period, this was replaced with new kettle. Second kettle has died, still has sticking lid fault but has also quit electrically in less than 12 months.

I think I'll stick to buying cheap kettles in future, they seem to last forever, not so Sunbeam kettles.

Sunbeam   DM

HI John, please give our Customer Care team a call on 1300 881 861 and they will be happy to assist you.

Karla
Karla
  Verified KE9650

Great looking Kettle, but absolute rubish

Within 12 months the lid stopped opening without us using the fingers in all different directions. I should have returned it to MYER then.. a couple of months later we started to realise there were several little black parts floating around under the whisper section, and not long after the whole hinge clip on this kettle broke off into our kettle. I took out what I believed to be the largest parts but found out there were still several little parts inside.. I loved the concept of having a kettle with different temperature settings, and I need to get a new one, but unfortunately i don’t think I’ll be buying this brand again.

Sunbeam   DM

Hi Karla, please contact Sunbeam Customer Care on 1300 881 861 and we would be more than happy to assist.

Noods
Noods2 posts

Absolute rubbish

13 months old and lid doesn't open or close, which I can put up with. Now the handle has fallen off and have plastic fragments inside. Its currently on special for $119 down from $150 so its tempting to buy again since it looks so sexy but I will learn from past mistakes.

Sunbeam   DM

Hi Noods, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. please contact our customer service team on 1300 881 861 for further assistance.

Ggo
GgoSydney15 posts

Crap

This is my 2nd one, first one leaked now this one lid release hingle melted n broke off inside kettle. Have a lot of sunbeam appliances but will try something else this time. You would expect the top of the range model to last more than 2 years. Not happy

Steve
Steve2019NSW, 2019117 posts
Mar L
Mar LNSWSydney, NSW
  KE9650

Rubbish and unhelpful Company!

I have had my expensive Sunbeam kettle for 3 years when the lid completely broke off. It started sticking about three months ago. I contacted Sunbeam as I believe that a kettle of that expense should last more than three years. I will never buy Sunbeam anything again as they would not do anything about it. It's just tough luck!! Lovely people!!!

Monks
Monks

Crap

Lid wont open after about 6 months. Same story with plastic fragments found in kettle. Really annoyed with myself for not taking it back while under warranty. Though I'm more annoyed that this is clearly a constant problem with the item and they get away with selling it to unsuspecting customers! $125 wasn't exactly a cheap kettle :(

David
DavidAU4 posts

Attractive and functional

Easy to fill and comes to the boil quickly. Has a very good pouring action, which was the reason I got rid of my last kettle as it was a cheaper one with a bad pour. And to cap it off, it's an exceptionally attractive looking piece of kitchen equipment.

N Haddock
N HaddockVictoria7 posts

Do not buy this kettle

Within 6 months the hinge clip on this kettle broke off into our kettle. I took out what I believed to be the largest parts but discovered there were smaller parts floating around under the whisper section.

The lid now won't open without us prying it open with our fingertips, which is impossible sometimes as we often have to boil, use, then boil more immediately afterward.

It frequently advises that it is empty and refuses to boil, even when full of water?

I am extremely disappointed, as this is the second version of this kettle I have had. I love being able to pick the temperature of my hot beverages but I cannot maintain buying a kettle that costs over $100 that lasts so little time.

Disgruntled
DisgruntledBrisbane2 posts
jono
jonoAU33 posts

Useless kettle

Like other honest reviews posted ive had similar problems constantly beeping near the end of boiling process this is the second kettle ive had from myers chatswood where they just gave me a replacement off the shelf instead of new for new useless customer service writing does smudge off and this is supposed to be a quiet kettle far from it i can hear it 2 rooms away.

I would like a refund and to have a manager from sunbeam contact me about this useless dumb product and useless cust service from myers chatswood no wonder they have stores shutting down.

Pam
PamVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Same story

I purchased this kettle in June 2017 and loved it straight away. Now its going back tomorrow to place of purchase as like the other reviewers here the lid got stuck and plastic fragments found inside. Goodness knows how many of these we must have swallowed. Back to square one.

PetePerth27 posts
  KE9650

DISASTROUS PLASTIC LID JOINT BEWARE!

CONS:

DISASTROUS PLASTIC LID JOINT

that CRUMBLES away after 2 boils! I'm still picking the plastic pieces out through the mesh strainer at the bottom

I can only open the lid with a sharp knife now.

PROS:

BRILLIANT electronic boil features:

Sterilize function

Actual temperature reading & boil temperature read out

Display disappears when not in use & comes back when Kettle is lifted

The only reason I kept it as I needed it to sterilize water

& nothing on the market has all the boil options this kettle offers

So BUYER BEWARE

Shame on Sunbeam for not acting to remedy this problem faster!

sue
sueVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts

Not good enough!!

Purchased a Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle a year ago, a few months later black plastic fragments were found in the water in the kettle & a couple of times made it into my cup!. Returned kettle to place of purchase & a refund of money. Purchased same kettle online from another store and low and behold the same thing started happening again! The kettle itself operates well but their seems to be a manufacturing error?

Peter
PeterMelbourne11 posts
  KE9650

Lid Sticking as plastic hinge crumbled away

I could see parts of the hinge assembly had broke off and in the water but was still working ok, then lid started to stick and could see the brass nuts that where in the plastic ( and no more ) and the lid moved forward and will not open.
This has been an on going issue with these for a while from what I can see and they are yet to use heat proof plastic.

5th-July-2018 Update: As I had purchased from Myers I did take it back and they replaced it and has been no problems since, maybe just the early ones had problems.

4th-Jan-2023 Update: Still going strong Show details ·  2

Mouse
Mouse
harry
harryNSW3 posts
Taz
TazKuraby24 posts

Modern,stylish, hitech

Quieter than previous kettle, very quick boil.Keeps water warm and has sterilizing option.

Bit pricey, clean feel inside has a large filter , slightly heavy, has good grip and lid opens easily.

Has few options for different temperature settings.

Hard to see water level as it steams up, overall 8/10

JillExplodingSpring
JillExplodingSpringSydney5 posts

Leaking kettle after 4 years

I was so surprised when my kettle suddenly started to leak........I'd left it to boil and returned to find the bench top drenched in water. The seal around the window showing the level of water in the kettle no longer doing its job. A kettle costing $119 should last more than 4 years! I love the design of the cafe series but I have totally lost confidence in the Sunbeam brand. If they are not able to manufacture a product to do its job then its not a company I wish to give my hard earned dollars to.

Dominic
DominicMelbourne
Not A Domestic Goddess
Not A Domestic GoddessNSWSydney Surrounds, NSW29 posts
Wendy
WendyTASLaunceston, TAS2 posts

Lid failure

The kettle was great until the lid release started to stick within the first 12 months. It progressed to not working at all and needed to be levered open. Now after three years the lid mechanism has completely crumbled and the lid has fallen out of the kettle. Most concerning was the hard and sharp bits of plastic that would fall into the kettle which my husband almost swallowed. Considering the price I expected better from Sunbeam. I notice three things:

1. Many complaints about the same problem

2. Made in China

3. Now discontinued

Sunbeam should have a product recall and replace these faulty kettles.

gruntre69WAPerth, WA13 posts

Failed after 2 years - Dissapointing

As per others, we were happy enough with this kettle and is quietness. After near 3 years the lid hinge mechanism crumble and failed. Still works but lid is a pain.

As usual in the modern world, manufacturers claims of quality are pure rubbish. These companies deliberately build in redundancy. It is a disgrace!

Barry L
Barry L
gasp
gaspCollinsvale Tasmania15 posts
RobynWG
RobynWG

Lid release problem

Bought this kettle 16 months ago and lid release now won't function. Considering it carries a price tag of around $130 I'd expect better quality fittings. Will be looking around at other brands for a replacement kettle - really unhappy as Sunbeam used to be a quality brand with good products.

Lisa
LisaSydney2 posts

So easy to use!!!

Love our new kettle so easy tonise click a button and off you go.

Love how super quiet it is, unlike our old kettle it would be so load and because my mum works morning and late night craps and drinks 100 coffees a day it would wake me up out of my sleep but their Kettle is so effortlessly easy to refill water.

Would definitely recommend.

Judy
JudyQLDWide Bay-Burnett, QLD6 posts
  Verified KE9650

Not happy for the price I paid

I purchased my kettle in September 2015. From about 12 months old, the buttons started to not operate correctly, saying it was 'dry' when it had plenty of water. Now 18 months old, the buttons often won't work, without persistently clicking them, and using a lower temperature. Sunbeam used to be a good and reliable product. What happened? My previous kettles lasted for years.

Cazzy
CazzyNSWSydney, NSW2 posts
  KE9600

A kettle should not leak

I can't tell when i bought it as the reciept is faded but so disappointed it leaks :( for an appliance with only one function im gutted its crap

Its leaked all over my benchtop abd i don't know whether to tale the reciept into david Jones to decipher or to call the acc about advice about products lasting a reasonable amount of time

Fixaupper
Fixaupper2 posts
  KE9600

Can be fixed! It was expensive and a good kettle but mine leaked after 3 years of use

They all seem to leak around the casing and glass level indicator. After some research I went to bunnings and bought some food safe clear sealant (the stuff that needs turps to clean up) it can cope up to over 200 degrees celcius. I put a very small bead around the metal glass join and then used a blade to clean off the excess. 24 hours later. You cannot see ANY repair and it worked completely. Very happy again.

Tommy
Tommy

Not worth buying

Original purchase Dec'14 - Harvey Norman replaced July'15 after digital display mostly not working - now replacement kettle digital display rarely working & kettle has also started making long 'beeping' sound - rang Sunbeam & was told by the very helpful Katherine that Warranty period is 12 mths & basically end of story. Previous & less expensive kettles have lasted much longer than either of these.

cobra
cobraQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD11 posts

biggest pile of rubbish

this is our 3rd unit the previous kettles all leaked at thelevel indicator within 6 months of use, now after 4 months the same is happening and sunbeam wont replace this unit as the warranty period is finished, for the cost of these units they are a disgrace and previous old Linda cheapy kettle lasted 20 years. the kettle feals like it is well made but dont be fooled it is very poor quality.

PatC
PatC
Kez
Kez

Waste of money

I brought the cafe series kettle because it sterilises water to the perfect temperature for baby formula however we have replaced the kettle once already because it wasn't boiling properly and now the entire plate has come out with the new replacement after 12 months you expect quality at this price not something that falls apart so easily

funguy
funguyQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD20 posts

Not worth the money

Purchased this kettle just over 12 months ago.

At the time we purchased an extra warranty.

In total we have had it replaced 3 times plus the original.

Electronic issues plague this item from not turning off, then saying that kettle is dry when full, also makes a beeping sound when heating, and not heating to set temperature.

I will keep getting this item replaced until my 3 year warranty runs out.

Then it's in the bin.

My latest replacement is again causing grief with the lid will not opening properly and the on push button feels funny when operated.

Think twice before buying this item, something else may suit better.

Kat
KatVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts
  KE9650

Written labels on kettle coming off!

We bought our kettle in Jan 2016 and so far have had two replacements under warranty, all due to the fact that the writing on the kettle, which describes what temperature to use, very easily wipe off literally with little effort. It's like when it was printed on it wasn't sealed properly or the ink is of poor quality. Very disappointed because when I ran sunbeam they did not have any record of this even though clearly other customers have also reported this same problem. I hope sunbeam fix this issue or have a replacement kettle that also has a digital display, since this is why I bought the kettle in the first place.

Extra Information