Sunbeam DT5600

Sunbeam DT5600 (page 2 of 4)

MPN: 35903108

Worse than rubbish!

Where do I start! This dehydrator must be the worst domestic food dehydrator on the market. It is a well made, but very poorly designed device. I am astonished Sunbeam market such a poor performer.

Bad points:

1 - It is noisy (too noisy for sleeping if on the same floor of the house).
2 - It is power hungry. As it has no thermostatic temperature control the heater remains constantly on.
3 - It is an inefficient dryer by design. Airflow is top down so the top layer gets most of the heated airflow and dries faster than the lower levels. Faster being a relative term (the dryer has to be on for days to dry anything).
4- The noisy high speed fan motor is of the brushed universal type. Low quality with bronze bearings that will wear quickly. It's basically a ladies hairdryer fixed into a racked food container.

Good points:

None - I have since purchased an Ezidry (no I don't work for Ezidry) dehydrator. This is an excellent dryer whose design addresses virtually every shortfall in the Sunbeam. The fan is larger and is powered by a quality low speed shaded pole induction (no brushes to wear out) motor. The heater is electronically regulated and the unit is fitted with a variable temperature controller. By design, heated airflow is evenly distibuted to all trays and as a result food dries quickly and evenly. Most importantly, it is quiet when operating. Sounds like a quiet extrator fan running in the background.

Conclusion:

Don't waste your hard earned on the Sunbeam DT5600. If you're in the market for a domestic dehydrator do yourself a favour, buy an Ezidry or second hand Harvest Maid dehydrator. These units are both of similar design and quality. They reliably get the job done, quietly and efficiently.

Request:

Sunbeam please don't respond to this post with your automated reply. Standard replies are at best fatuous, insulting and pointless.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Very disappointed

I really wish I had read all the reviews for this before forking out over $100 for this. It's an absolute dud! The noise is crazy!!! And it can take all day to show only the slightest bit of difference in the 'dehydrating' of fruit/veges. It's far too expensive and loud to run for hours and hours at a time. Plus I never wanted to leave it out of sight because I thought it was going to explode. Awful product and I have no show of getting a refund as have discarded my receipt. It's now collecting dust in the back of a cupboard. Very, very disappointed!!!

Hi Soz, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Kind Regards Sunbeam

What a disaster. So disappointed

I have just bought a sunbeam dehydrator DT5600. My mothers Day gift. So was enthusiastic to try it as I had excess fruit and tomatoes. I couldn't believe the noise as soon as I turned the thing on!! The recommendation was setting 2 for fruit/veg. I checked at 5 hours expecting it to be well on the way, but not a bit of difference. I had to turn it off while we sat down for dinner, it was so loud. Disappointed I turned it on for 8 hours on the 3rd setting the next day, and not a good result either. I ended (in frustration) taking most of the pulp out of the tomatoes. Then thought that was just so pointless. I could have done a much quicker and better job with no frustration by placing the produce in the oven. My husband came in and said it was a dud, and just too long/expensive/noisy to run, with no result and to take it back to Harvey Norman. I couldn't believe their attitude. No you cant return it as its now been used. When I asked about the power cost, out came the phone and he said its only 2c per hour?? They rang Sunbeam while I was there and their comment was as that as it wasn't faulty and running it couldn't be returned. The sales person said put it on Gumtree or Facebook, they sell so well here in the shop they can't get enough of them. Well I have never been so annoyed as to have been fobbed off and also join the line of VERY, VERY unhappy customers, after checking on Gumtree/ Google. What is Sunbeam doing about it??? Nothing!!!!! Get smart Sunbeam and make all your customers happy, Take it off the market.

Disappointed

I got this model in hopes of making backpacking food. I wish I found these reviews before I did. The motor is very loud. I successfully dried fried beans and that is about it. The directions are rubbish as the times givenare completely wrong. It took me 15 hours to dry mashed kumura! Sunbeam since people have complained about this product since 2012 when are you going to fix it or take it off the market.

Dear Reverse, Thank you for your feedback. Please be advised that all reviews have been passed onto the relevant departments. Should you wish to discuss further, please contact us on: 1300 881 861. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Noisy

This is very noisy. Have to use it in the garage. You expect some fan noise with a product like this but this has a high pitched whine with it. The rest of the unit appears fit for purpose but is light. I'm sorry I bought Sunbeam. Used to make ok stuff.

Hi Mr Costanza, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

Also disappointed

I totally agree with the other negative reviews of the Sunbeam DT5600. We purchased it because Sunbeam generally has a good name. This is a dud. It is noisy and takes much longer to dry food; even cherry tomatoes take over 6 hours. I was hoping to dry fruit to take with me running and hiking but the DT5600 is not good enough. We seldom use it.

Hi Allan, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

Waste of money

Complete waste of money, it's very loud, and you could dry food out faster by just leaving it in the sun! I've had some figs drying in there for over 24 hours now and they're not even close to being dry, and the recipe booklet recommended only 6 hours!
What a joke of a product.

Hi James, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. SunbeamFor anyone reading at home this is just an automated comment, Sunbeam clearly doesn't care about its customersHi James, I apologise if you feel this way but I can assure you Sunbeam take all feedback seriously and information from our customers are passed onto the product team for development. We appreciate your time and kind regards. Sunbeam

Too long and too loud

I purchased this product full of hope and excitement and have been very let down by its performance. It's so loud I put it in a back room with the door shut. Everything I have dehydrated has taken at least twice as long as in the book. At present my tomatoes are well over 24 hours. I may as well put them in the oven. It's a lot quicker. This product will be going back to the store.

Hi Sue W, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

OH Dear what have I done

Purchased a Sunbeam DT5600 and to date very disappointed. Purchased it on Commonwealth reward points perhaps the only way they can get rid of this inefficient machine. Yep its not quiet and no timer, would be afraid to leave it on in the house. After following the instructions and cutting to appropriate size my tomatoes are still going after 12 hours with minor change ( perhaps why we see semi dried tomatoes in supermarkets) the orange still has juice but at least the eggplant surrendered to the drying powers. Its a sunny day perhaps get out the aluminium foil and place produce in the sun. Judging by the number of poor reviews you probably should consider withdrawing this product Sunbeam its effecting your good name. Whats the power coast? Brian

Hi Brian, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

Glorified hairdryer in a box

When I first got it i thought this product has been designed out of the leftovers. It has a top mounted heater unit that looks and sounds like a hairdryer. If you can imagine running your hairdryer for 6 hours on full that's what this thing sounds like. I only used it once a week and it lasted 5 months before the motor blew. The warranty replacement unit lasted the same. Harvey Norman then refunded my money (well done guys) and I bought a Hydroflow dehydrator instead. Get your act together Sunbeam!

Hi pdexter, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. SunbeamHey Sunbeam. People have been complaining about this dodgy product since 2012. Over the last four years you just write placating, non-committal responses and this embarrassment of a product is still sold in the shops; polluting the environment and landfills as most people just give up and throw it away. Take some responsibility and sort your products out!

Disapointed

Was so excited to get this to be able to do an abundance of food. Had apricots running for over 24hrs!! And still not dried. Taking it back today. Would not recommend. Wish I,d read all the reviews before I wasted time preparing fruit and using electricity. Sunbeam hopefully will look at reviews

Hi Marmoora, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

So bad

Have had our new dehydrator running for about 23 hours. Some food (prepared as per instructions) is still not done. Massive spike in electricity usage. Terrible. Love the sunbeam 'troubleshooting' suggestion in response to the last review. You can't troubleshoot a crappy product. We are getting rid of ours and building a solar dehydrator instead. Oh, and yes, it is SOOOO loud. Like a hair dryer blowing on high for 23 hours straight.

Dear Andy, We are sorry to hear about the experience you've had with the DT5600. Please contact our Consumer Support Team on: 1300 881 861, for further assistance/ troubleshooting. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Avoid

Failed after 13 months with only sporadic use, one month out of warranty - piece of crap.
As with the others I have read, the motor was noisy when it was working, and then it began to fail, thus making the unit run hot. I disposed of the unit rather that have a fire risk in my home. Rubbish quality, unfortunately, as I have always been a fan of Sunbeam as a brand of quality white goods.

So disappointed

I got this for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and was so excited! Started dehydrating like crazy! I tried everything potato, carrot, beans, oranges (at least 3 times) Apple, pear, banana, chick peas and kale. The only thing that remotely worked was the apple and chick peas. Other items for example oranges would be in there for 12 hour and still have water coming out.... Might as well do them in the oven. Rang sunbeam help line, they couldn't really help and they told me the test kitchen would get back to me (they never did) took my unit back to Harvey Norman who replaced it immediately. Started using the second one last night, it has now been on for 11 hours and the banana and orange still aren't dry (recommended time for Orange is 6-8 hours) returning this piece of crap tomorrow for my money back.

Avoid like fire - total junk quality of the motor

This unit uses the same, cheap, junk quality motor as in previous models. My unit broke down recently - motor works for approx 10-15 sec but at very low speed, so unit goes into temperature overheat and then shuts down. Friend of mine has the same unit and it almost stopped working too - motor makes some noises, stalls often. It is just unbelievable what the manufacturers sell us nowadays. Junk, junk, junk. I wait when eventually Sunbeam will go broke (hopefully people will find out that all they are able to do is sell junk hoping that when it breaks people will buy another unit). So you will be better off spending may be twice as much money but for something that works for years.

Quality control has obviously slipped

I purchased one of these 6 years ago at Noel Leemings Auckland, it was used fairly continuously in NZ/Ireland/Solomon Island over that period, so I wasn't too upset when it finally died on me in January 2015. The replacement I bought lasted 12 hours, before the fan started stopping, slowing down, the unit over heated, then stopped altogether. It still runs but only in the low setting, without producing sufficient heat to dry anything. I'm not impressed at all.
Thankfully I didn't waste money buying an extended guarantee, but I'm still out as the hassle involved in returning it to the Co. I bought it from, online, negates any possible benefit, let alone the usual months of waiting with anything that involves Sunbeam.
I'll most likely buy another one, but this time from a local shop that I can return it to when it craps out as I fully expect it will.
Sunbeam has slipped badly in my opinion regarding quality in its products.

Further to my review above. Heathcote Appliances Hamilton replaced the unit, no trouble. New unit is working as it should, has had constant use for the past 2 months, and I'm happy. September 2nd. Unit has burnt out, fan stopped, heater stopped. Still within warranty period, but due to the cost of shipping it back to Heathcote, I'm not going to bother. It will have cost me more then buying another one. Do I recommend this unit? Not any more. Something has gone wrong with Quality Control in China, these are not up to any acceptable standard, and I would not recommend them to anyone

Very unhappy with Sunbeam!

We have similar problem - purchased unit with extended warranty but during manf warranty it did this turn off thing, took back and was given replacement. Then just after manuf warranty expired this one did the same thing! Tried talking to Sunbeam as this is obviously a major prob but they didnt want to know about it! Disguisted and will nit choose Sunbeam for any appliance in future!

Never again

brought from Harris scarf , worked for a short time three time at that i dried apples, mangoes, strawberries, and pears had it for three months it took a long time but when i used it the third time it went mental as it was as if some one was standing at a light switch flicking the power on and off constantly. h\Had to put food in the freezer i returned it for a refund and purchased another one from Harris scarf this time it got to be used twice Then it went quiet and that's not normal when I check it, it was hot real hot I switch it off for the evening and turned it back on in the morning but it was very quiet and within a half hour the dehydrator was to hot so out goes the mangoes and packed up the dehydrator and got a refund now I'm looking for a different dehydrator once bit twice shy, very nice size to bad it couldn't last longer than three uses ps I turned my mangoes into jam very yummy.
good size
didn't last the distance and too noisy

What!

Ive just bought the dehydrater and tested tonight. My husband was in the back of the house with the door shut. He thought I was vacuuming at night! Ive put it in the laundry with the door shut. No one can handle the noise, especially for 12hrs. I boughf a $49 one from Homeart and it was quiet and lasted two good yrs. Disappointed bscause I paid good money believing Sunbeam would be good. Get yr act together boys because you blew it with this noise pollution bigtime.

Way Way Way Overpriced

I paid $109 for this dehydrator. When it arrived i was surprised and disappointed. Its basically a bunch of cheap plastic trays and a very noisy fan. There couldn't be more than $7 worth of material in it. I have buyers remorse. I didn't do my homework on this product, rather jumped in at the novelty of drying my own food. This product should not be priced anywhere north of $30 tops. in terms of functionality, its not bad, but very very slow. i do not see this product lasting a long time, especially as it takes at least 12 hour stints of drying vegetables, I can see the fan packing it in. I have very little confidence in this product. Buyer beware.
Not much really
Cheap and tacky, very noisy. Extremely Overpriced.