MPNs: 36013667 and FA8900

Good Fan

A very sturdy and quality fan. It is quite powerful and has many modes for how you like the air to be blowing. The remote and settings are very handy. I do not find it too noisy. The one thing I dislike is the bright blue light - makes it impossible to sleep. We put dark sticky tape over it. Thanks to the reviewers here for helping me chose a fan.

Purchased in February 2019 at Myer Retail Stores for $149.00.

Power
Hi Carly, Thanks for the great review!

Mum loved it so much I had to go and get another one!

It's a quiet fan and moves a lot of air. The round base is heavy and the fan is a lot more stable than a lot of other pedestal fans.
There are a lot of settings which we don't really make use of but they're there if needed.
The remote is very handy for elderly, injured or disabled people. The buttons are easy to use and suitable for people with limited dexterity.
One of these fans runs for about 95% of the day and night and has never skipped a beat and the motor doesn't get too hot.

Purchase date and price are 'guesstamates' and would be different as we have 2 of them.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys Physical store for $120.00.

Power
Hi Terralla, Thanks for the great review !

Very Quiet Fan Once You Make A Few Upgrades

Made this fan a lot more quiet by replacing the included clear 5 prong propeller with a 3 prong propeller from a generic dirt cheap pedestal fan. With the included clear 5 prong propeller on the low speeds there is an audible humm and it's quite annoying to sleep to. Replacing the prop the annoying humm completely dissapears and now makes it very quiet on the low speeds to sleep. I noticed the replacement 3 prong propeller also pushes more air so the lowest speed now feels the same as the speed 2 (2nd lowest) with the original 5 prong prop.

It seems impossibly hard to find a cheap pedestal fan these days that has a speed slow enough & quiet enough to sleep with on those mildly warm nights. So that's why I bought this fan! The 6 speeds especially the low speed settings are great! Also some fans have no down tilt and so completey miss my bed. This one has a down tilt but you just have to engange the motorised vertical ossiliation and then stop it when it's tilted down.

The downsides to this fan are the bright LEDs (Das blinken lightsen) which stay on when you want to sleep. Covering in black electrical tape easily solved this and doesn't ruin the look either. The buzzer is also annoying, beeping every time you press any buttons or turn the fan on or off. The fix for this is a little more extreme. The back panel is protected by a couple of torx (6 pointed star) security head screws but with the exact right size slotted (flat) head screw driver I was able to undo them and get into the panel. I just used pliers to twist the round piezo buzzer until one leg broke from the circuit board and it was twisted away so it couldn't make contact. You could just twist the buzzer right off but this might stand out to a technician if they do actually peek under the hood and you decide to use the 2yr warranty. A word of warning though if you do decide to open the panel make sure the fan is not plugged in and keep in mind those big yellow ceramic capacitors pack a fair wollop if you touch the exposed leads. If you aren't electrically minded when it comes to electric shocks from capacitors and how to discharge them, then I'd suggest use thick rubber washing up gloves so you don't zap yourself when handling the circuit board.

After these mods I would rate this as the best quiet fan for sleeping to. I got it for 130 bucks from The Good Guys. Even though it's listed as $169 on their website I found that in store they are doing a special price probably because it's the end of the season.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $127.00.

Power
Hi Andrew B, Thank you for reviewing. I must say if the fan is on Speed 1 it is almost silent. I must say though we would never advise our customers to alter the fan or open it up due to safety concerns.

Great fan - nice and quiet

This fan is great, nice and quiet. Excellent speed for the recent hot days/nights we have had lately. The oscillating modes are a good touch (infinity). Only problem is you can't turn of the LED lights and they are really bright. I've just resorted to tying a sock around it to block it out

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $149.00.

Power
Hi Jordan, Thank you for the feedback. The FA8900 is a great fan. I will pass on you comments in regards to the LED lights to our design and technical team.

I wanted it to be good but...

I brought this fan today from The Good Guys for $149. It was easy to assemble, looks great, and I really liked the heavy solid pedistal base. However when the fan was on the highest setting it developed and high pitched whining noise, almost like a vibration. I disassembled and reassembed the fan, double checking I'd followed the instructions. The same high pitched whining noise came back when on the highest fan speed. On the lowest speed, the motor is also louder than I expected. Like other reviewers I thought the LED's are way to bright, they really need an (auto) diming function. This is such a pitty as I really wanted it to be good but sadly it wasnt and I'll be returning it and probably head back to Bunnings for a $50 Arlec.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $149.00.

Power
Hi Ian, Thank you for your feedback and we apologise for the issue. The noise you describe is certainly not usual. If you have not already taken it back to the store - please try a replacement unit. These really are great fans.

BEST FAN I'VE EVER OWNED!

After many years of buying Bunnings Moretti fans we finally got fed up with the noise, breakdowns, and general lack of performance. We looked high and low for a decent fan and found this one on sale at Myer. It is quiet, stylish and has three way oscillation as well as "breeze mode" and a remote control (not necesseary for use as all the functions are on the fan) Its not a cheap unit at $150 on sale but we'll be using it for years... not months.

Purchased in December 2018 at Myer Retail Stores for $150.00.

Power
Hi DavidB , Thank you for your great feedback.!

FANtastic fan.

Really attractive fan. Sturdy. The remote is great and contrary to what others say, the fan is quiet and covers a good area on oscillate. We love it. We looked at a variety of fans and this one was the best.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $155.00.

Power
Hi Jacquie, Thanks for the great review !

Quality Build - Bright LEDs

Hi Sunbeam

I went in to spend $90 on a fan and walked out of Good Guys after handing over $145 when I saw the difference in build quality between yours and the competitors for the extra 10's dollars.

Airflow, noise and functionality are top notch. However the LEDs are bright and I have had to put a 5cm strip of black electrical tape over the Blue fan speed LEDs to darken the room for sleep.

cheers

Drew

Purchased in January 2019 for $145.00.

Thanks for the positive feedback Drew!

Its amazing

I cant understand previous reviews saying how loud the fan is. Mine is perfect. Even on high its easy to sleep with on. This fan has got me through the hot adelaide nights. Its number one. Only thing i dont like about it is the bright lights. But thats easy to get used to. I think some people are just too fussy

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Hi Lory, great to see you love the fan, it is certainly a favourite of mine!

Loud whirring noise in the motor and bright lights

I bought this from JBHIFI today, but am not happy.
Pros: Stylish fan and i like the round base. It is fairly quiet, when on speed 3 or above it produces good air flow, oscillating component is good.
Cons: I cant feel the air standing 1.5 meters away when on speed setting 1 & 2. Quiet, but it has a constant whirring noise in the motor, which is annoying at night, the blue lights are super bright i might as well keep a night light on. I had to cover the blue lights with fabric so i could sleep.
Overall good fan, but i am not happy and will be returning this one.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Linda, Thank you for your feedback for your FA8900. Sorry to hear that the fan does not meet your standards. I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to our Design & Development team.

Humming Noise

I agree with other reviewers who have similar issues with a loud humming noise - disappointing after reading so many reviews on how quiet this fan is. Impossible to use this fan in a bedroom whilst sleeping which is why we purchased. Back to the store we go and see if we have any luck with the next one...

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Steve, Sorry to hear of the issues you have had with your FA8900. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 if you experience any issues with your replacement.Hi, thanks for your reply - David Jones WA is out of stock so can’t offer a replacement - are you able to assist?Hi Steve, We are more than happy to assist. Please call us on 1300 881 861 with your receipt.

Top of the line, won't hurt the wallet.

Was looking for an affordable portable air-con to get me through the Australian summer, and decided to go with this fan- it has a great range, strong breeze, and heaps of features. Additionally- looks great in the house!

Has been getting me through those sweaty summer nights, as hoped.
Don't waste your time and money with low quality coolers!

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Thanks matthew - Appreciate the positive feedback.

Whisper quiet

I cannot understand the reviews saying this is noisy- this fan is so quiet, I don’t even know it’s on. It has a solid base and is easy to assemble. Love the remote control. Only drawback is bright light from the control panel which isn’t ideal at night. But overall, a great fan. Would definitely recommend.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Noisy... and bright light.

The fan is noisy and sleep mode is even worst... it’s so loud. I tested it and I couldn’t sleep... it’s was louder than normal setting. The blue bright lights... soo bright. Good breeze comes out though and good oscillating feature but unfortunately to noisy.... overall okay fan. . .

Date PurchasedAug 2018

A bit of a rattle

This fan has great power and I love the figure 8 mode. However, it rattles quite a bit on high speed, and I’ve tried many times to adjust it with only short term success. It appears that the fan blades are slightly hitting the cage. Also the blue lights are too bright, as many people have mentioned.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
HI Carole, It should not be hitting the cage. If this continues please return to store for a replacement.

6 fans later and I give up!

Over a 6 day period my parents have purchased/tried 6 of these fans (for my birthday) yet every single one has a loud humming motor. I wanted this fan because my parents bought one a year ago and theirs is so quiet. We have tested the new 6 fans next to my parents and they are vastly different.

Two of the three stores we purchased from did say they had received some back due to this issue and it seems there have been bad batches. So we tried a different store again.

Both my Dad and I have called Sunbeam regarding this. My Dad got a pathetic reason given (damage in shipping) yet I had a much better experience. They were passing my details on to Notjer department who were to call me back that day however two days later and I am still waiting.

I am very disappointed in this whole experience. Thanks Sunbeam for a not-so-nice birthday gift.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Tam, Sorry to hear the fan is not meeting your requirements. It has always been very good but they do make some noise and this is unavoidable. There is no issue as such that Sunbeam is aware of. From my personal knowledge, I find if you use the 1 setting, this makes the fan almost silent.Hi Sunbeam, I believe you are aware of this issue as we were told at one of The Good Guys stores a whole heap provided to a medical organisation were returned due to noise plus they had received a few back from in-store customers for the same reason. I have rung Sunbeam twice now, plus my Dad has also, and I am still waiting for a return call (5 days later). Setting one is the loudest because the fan blades are so quiet which allows for the motor hum to really be heard. I know for a fact this is far louder than previous versions of this model as my parents bought one a year ago which we have compared all 6 fans to, side by side. It seems Sunbeam is just ignoring this fault or change in production and happy to keep selling to new customers who know no different rather than old who wanted to remain loyal. I will continue to use my cheap pedestal fan which is about 4 times quieter and doesn't sound like a light plane about to lift off from my room! I would appreciate a call from the right production department.Hi Tam. Contrary to what The Good Guys told you, Sunbeam does not have any issue with these fans. In fact, it is our biggest selling and most popular fan. As advised earlier, the fans are not completely silent and the motor will omit some noise. My advice would be to compare this fan with others in your local retail store and choose the one that suits your needs the best.

This is a great fan!!

I purchased this fan as my old one died (may it RIP)

FA8900 - Very stylish and very snazzy

It was very easy to put together
There is a fan speed to suit everyone and the infinity oscillation is awesome

The wind modes looks like a great feature but at present haven't used that function

I have never had a fan with a remote so that's another winner for me

There is only one downside for me and that is i wish i could angle it lower
If someone could help me with that I'd be appreciative

I give this fan 10/10

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Ang, thanks for the great review. the fan has a rotating axis so you can move it both horizontally and vertically for different angles. You can also adjust the height of the fan by turning the height adjustment knob, located on the lower extension shaft.Thank you Ill admit it - i was scared id break it - but i did angle it down Great!

Good fan, but has a few issues.

The fan is very quiet and has good airflow. Remote is very convenient and easy to use. Good oscillation and timer functions built in. And the base is quite heavy and sturdy so it is hard to knock over. However, the blue LEDs on the front are extremely bright at night, with no way to turn them off. I had to put a sticky note over top to be able to sleep. Sometimes the fan has rattling and vibrations which are rather loud and distracting. All screws are fully tightened, so rattling must be from the motor components.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Good Quality Fan, with quirks

We have owned this fan for 1 year, and it has been very reliable. It is a well built fan, and is very quiet in low speed, and hasen't increased in noise or developed any annoying rattles or squeaks like cheaper made fans tend to. However the blue lights indicating fan speed cannot be turned off, and are really annoying when you are trying to sleep. You would then think that sleep mode would turn all the lights off and make the fan really quiet...which would be useful, but no, instead the lights go up and down like a disco, and the fan speed goes into a spasmodic mode, between maximum and minimum, loud and quiet, which does not seem to have been thought through by a normal person, as it is hopeless if your trying to sleep.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi UsandMe and thanks for the review. It seems like you may have one of the wind modes on if the speed is constantly changing.When used in nature mode, the fan speed is randomly adjusted, giving the feeling of a natural breeze. So this may be a reason why the speed keeps on changing.Hi thanks for your response, but I can confirm the mode where the fan is randomly adjusted, and flashes all the bright blue lights is called "sleep", and has a picture of a moon crescent and stars. It is not a "wind" or "Natural" mode. Also as posted previously, even in normal low speed setting, I have had to resort to placing black tape over the fan speed lights, as these light up the bedroom at night. Most people like it dark when sleeping. I hope this feedback assists your product improvement.

Quiet and Cooling

I bought this fan from The Good Guys on sale and are very happy with my purchase. This fan is perfect for cooling in summer and has good air flow without the noise. Although the blades are plastic this fan still works very well and has a stylish design. I recommend this product.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Great to see you are staying cool in this heatwave Louise, thanks for the review.