Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200

Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200 (page 2 of 3)

2.3

Jeff M

Jeff MBrisbane

Surprised it is still being sold

We purchased the GL8200 Ice Cream Maker about 10 years ago. Worked well for a few months then started having problems with the paddle drive (similar to all the other review complaints). We persevered by finishing off by hand and putting in the freezer. The refrigeration side still works well. We now use intermittantly. I though Sunbeam wound have sorted out the paddle drive by now. Sonething more heavy duty. It sounds like the gears are plastic and wear quickly. The parts list show the paddle drive as "no longer available". My surprise is that the machine is still being sold (by the dates of ther latest reviews) and that the 10 year old design problem hasn't been addressed. Not a good look Sunbeam.

Kym

Kymsydney

Expected better for the price

Much like many of the other reviewers here i find the plastic paddle on this machine very flimsy. The machine stops churning quite early on as it doesn't seem strong enough to cope with a slightly thickened solution. I am still using it however and the kids don't complain about the results. If I was buying another one however, i would research a bit more and look for an alternative

Dean

DeanMelbourne

Seems unable to churn, noisy.

Hi - we bought this unit a while ago and having given up the first time around we got it out again today. It seems that the motor is simply not able to churn the mixture once it gets a bit thicker. I was able to take off the motor and easily churn the mixture by hand. And it's very, very noisy (about as loud as a kitchen mixer). For a ~$300 purchase I would have expected better.

Don't bother buying the Sunbeam Gelateria

Big,bulky heavy machine that does not do the job. Ice cream is always runny despite using different recipes from the book. I don't know what is wrong with it but I'm going to throw it out despite the high price for what it doesn't do. Am very disappointed as I bought it on the good name of Sunbeam.

Bradley

BradleyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good domestic grade appliance

Have used the ice cream machine for two and a half years. Predominantly use it for frozen yogurts and deserts. Works well. Occasional ice creams and with acceptable results. You do need to put it in the freezer to firm up. If you are not expecting shop bought ice cream but the opportunity to make varied cold or frozen deserts you will enjoy it. The weight is because of the refrigeration unit built in.

Peter Enots

Peter EnotsBrisbane

Do not buy the Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200

The Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200 is a great disappointment. It is unable to fulfil its only purpose (to churn ice cream) because its paddle motor is very weak, causing it to stall well before the ice cream mixture has even approached becoming frozen. Because of this it is utterly useless; so bad I cannot in conscience on-sell it.

Unable to fulfil its only purpose - making ice cream - because the churning function is so weak

Nora

NoraSYDNEY

Not Happy with the product

Followed all the instructions and every time the paddle stop too early and turn the opposite way even though the ice cream mixer wasnt ready.
I don't mind the weight or the design this is the only fault in the design I'm not happy about.
Not sure how to improve it.

Paddle stopped too early.

felix74

felix74WA

Waste of money - big time!!

Ann
Ann
Brendan K.Sunbeam

Hi Felix 74, could you please contact our Consumer Support Team on 1300 881 861 to discuss further.

Trish
Trish

the bowl is stuck and cannot be removed

SobetqueenSydney

Sunbeam GL8200 is a dud

guffo
guffo

Agree totally with your comments!! Have tried everything as well ...useless piece of machinery - very disappointing...

Brendan K.Sunbeam

Hi guffo, perhaps you can contact us to organise another paddle motor for you.
Our Consumer Support line is 1300 881 861.

Disapointing

Purchased the gelateria years ago and was very pleased with the first dozen or so batches, and yes using salt solution , making custard day before so well chiled. Now it can churn for up to an hour and mixture never thickens and just have runny mix. Would not recommend to anyone as very expensive and the plastic transparent lid cracked within the first few uses now needs replacing, but am not willing to pay out any money. Very disappointed as Sunbeam is usually reliable. It is also very noisy and has been right from get go. I did read the instruction manual before use.

not happy with results

Just doesn't do the job

EllaG

EllaGPerth, WA

Don't Buy - GL8200

I've had problems with this unit for some years now. I had just under one year (one sumer) of problem free use before the paddle motor stopped working on demand. Since then most of the time it doesn't work. I pull it out every summer & hope the paddle motor will work - this sumer it worked once for about 5mins before stopping. The same model is still on the market so please don't buy it because its expensive and not worth the risk of getting a dud unit. Take the advice of the other bad reviews & look for another brand. The paddle motor is the problem with this unit.

The paddle motor stops working - not strong enough to churn the ice-cream

Fred MacDuff

Fred MacDuffMelbourne

Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200

I have created many fine ice creams and sorbets in my time but not with this machine. After following the instructions the motor won't turn the paddle. It stops before the Ice Cream is created leaving you with "ice cream soup". After a dozen attempts to create a decent ice cream with more failures than successes I give up on this machine.

Expected ease of use was not realised. Very expensive for a machine that fails to deliver on its promises.

Mazey

MazeyWestleigh

My favourite household gadget

great - except on hot days!

Has anybody else found that on a hot day (today is 30+ degrees) it is basically ineffective? Frustrated that on the days I really need cold refreshing treats I have been unable to make anything but a sloppy mess.
By the way Ben & Jerry's basic vanilla is a must use recipe.
great iceream
no icecream on the days we need it!

christroybelsbrisbane

Love it!!!!

I bought this machine about a month ago despite reading these reviews. I have made sorbet, ice cream, gelato and custard based ice cream. Everything has been perfect. The machine is easy to use, quiet and produces a great product. The ice cream comes out of the machine like soft serve so you do have to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before it is truly frozen. Overall, I would recommend this machine to anyone.
quiet, great quality ice cream, worth the money

BPaton

BPatonMELBOURNE

Works as per instructions

Have made a range of frozen yoghurt deserts and very happy with the outcome. Easy to use, switch unit on, wait 5 minutes, add the ingredients, turn on the paddle motor and when it is done it is good to eat or put it in the freezer to harden up if you want. Easy to clean. My wife read the instructions. Have not made custard based deserts yet. One of my favourtites is vanilla yoghurt with some lemon juice. Bought the extended warranty for 3 years piece of mind. No regrets yet.
Ease of use. Consistent outcome.
A little noisy

Harley

HarleyAU

Wish it would not give up so early

E Wilton
E Wilton

Under the consumer law you should be able to go back to the retailer where you bought it from and get a replacement unit. It is not cheap and you expect the product to work. http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1030166

couturelover

coutureloverAU

Horrible Product

This is the worst, least effective ice cream maker I have ever used. Cheap, shoddy construction & sluggish churning speed together with a poor quality plastic paddle make for ice cream with an undesirable texture. Sorry to say this...but it really is garbage which is exactly where this product belongs. Don't waste your money...opt for a better brand!

Cheap Construction + flimsy plastic paddle + slow churning speed = bad ice cream

Annette_Gray

Tried sunbeam again and they are willing to honour the warranty. Great news. At least they get a tick in the service department if you keep trying.

Oldbarboy42MELBOURNE

Makes gelato but not much else.

I am very disappointed with this expensive machine. It does NOT make Sorbet. It does make gelato but only just. I haven't yet tried a true custard based ice cream but I fear the worst. The paddle drive just gives up as soon as the mixture starts to freeze. The freezer itself works well.
Most disappointing is the failure of the Sunbeam Customer Care people to reply to an email requesting advise on how to overcome this problem. As stated elsewhere by other reviewers their request for help remain unanswered. This is the poorest of Customer service. I cannot recommend this machine. Pay $40 for a simple one and enjoy lovely sorbet.
It looks good.
It doesn't work.

Oldbarboy42

Thank you. I will make contact.

Tara04
Tara04

what was the outcome for this?

See all Sunbeam Gelateria GL8200 reviews

Maddi Casked

Hi, I have had my Gelateria for quite a few years now so it is out of warranty but it has only been used a total of 3 times. Last time we used it the machine did not cool the ice cream at all, just wondering how to fix this? Quite disappointed after only using it 3 times and wanting to use it more regularly now, especially for the price paid.

ozfossil

Hi Maddi, sometimes things need regular usage for switches and the like internally to be kept operational, and a good first step is to listen for the compressor in the unit to start - this will be audible and you can also feel the vibrations - if no cooling occurs at all, and you hear the compressor running - it could be either a gas charge issue - i.e. the refrigerant gas has leaked out (not that common for a low use device) or if there is a little cooling but not cold enough to freeze anything, if that is your finding then it may not be economical to repair - these have a fan (I think) inside that could have stopped working (that fan blows warm air out of the appliance) - lubricating oil can just gum up like glue inside the bearings of the fan (common if not used for a long time) - this would be an easy fix for anyone handy with a screwdriver and some fine manual dexterity.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Maddi C,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. Did you put the teaspoon of salt and water under the bottom of the canister? This assists in the freezing process. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Maddi C

Hi, yes I did and allowed extra time for it to cool before adding the custard but it never cooled

Angela V.asked

My Gelateria bowl/bucket has corroded over time and would like to buy a replacement. Where can it be purchased from, as I have searched everywhere

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Angela V, as this product has been discontinued for some time, we no longer have the replacement part. Maybe try searching online on places such as ebay or Gumtree or type into Google the code GL82101

Angela V.

That is highly unacceptable to provide a top of the range product, so when someone purchases "the best" product on the market, and then discontinue making a replacement part which is often faulty! I am thoroughly pissed off to say the least. So now a perfectly good machine has been made redundant and need to be thrown out!! This is EXACTLY what is wrong with our world today! Our parents generation would buy something which would last them a life time! And this generation, we are forced to live in a disposable world!!!! In effect, in equivalent, you have sold me a top of the range car, with no option to replace a single tyre when it's worn out! Your company is disgraceful!!

Dixie S

Dixie Sasked

I have used my machine 5 times and when the ice cream starts to become firm the blade stops turning and will not move Mixture is still soft in centre but around the edge of the cyclinder 2mm it is set to ice cream texture. I am very disappointed in this product when it cost so much. Why is this happening?

Angry
Angry

From our experience this is as good as it gets. The machine will slow down the more you use it until it just won't turn anymore. It is a disappointing product indeed.

ozfossil

Hi Dixie, you may not have seen my review of the GL8200 - might be hidden for a reason ! but this is the link if every you wanted to revisit the appliance or get it working https://www.productreview.com.au/reviews/b9e1dbf3-18f2-4ada-9a7a-b3e47c7e0a37

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives