MPNs: 1256, HP5520 and SNB-HP5520

Should I get a slow cooker, pressure cooker or multi cooker?

Thanks to slow cookers, pressure cookers and multi cookers, the days of slaving away over a stovetop are over. This buying guide will help you decide which kitchen appliance is right for you.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Cherie

CherieMurray Mallee, SA

Not a good slow cooker. Do not buy

Put the cooker on slow cooking. Came home to extremely strong burning smell throughout the kitchen and lounge. Food thrown out. Couldn’t even clean the burnt food off the inside. Cooker thrown out. Got way too hot. Not happy.

Purchased in January 2020.

Arpita P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Amazing product

I was offered a replacement form Sunbeam. I cooked Nihari (indian slow cooker meat dish) and it turned out to be amazing. It actually exceeded my expectations. Meat cooked to perfection.

Purchased in January 2021 for $39.00.

Customer CareSunbeam
Arpita P.

How do I send private message to you. And also I tried to contact you guys on Facebook but I got no further response yet

Customer CareSunbeam

Hello Arpita,
I have just sent you a message, please check you inbox.
Sunbeam Customer Care.

Chris

ChrisSouth Australia

VERY DANGEROUS I DON’T RECOMMEND IT

Just purchased a new sunbeam slow cooker and it’s smells bad like electrical burning and Smoke coming out of the temperature control dial. I do Recommended anyone buying it s

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $44.95.

Very disappointed!

I have had the same problems....purchased this 5.5 lt Sunbeam slow cooker as I already have the 4.5 lt which I purchased years ago and it works perfectly but I wanted a larger one for my bone broth ! Couldn’t be more disappointed! It becomes extremely hot and as for the cool touch handles! What a joke..they were red hot and the machine gave off a plastic burning smell, which didn’t go away. And thank heavens I always use a wooden cutting board underneath electrical products! The board was very hot! Not happy and I am about to return it to retailer now! And after reading other reviews, I will not purchase another one!

Purchased in June 2020 at GoodGuys.

Clemens E.

Clemens E.South East Queensland, QLD

Glass Lid Shattered to Pieces

I had the Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520 for some years now. On 13 April 2020 with no reason whatsoever the glass lid imploded and the lid shattered to pieces. When I tried to lift off by its handle, the shattered glass fell into my vegetable soup wrecking it entirely.

Emma W.

Emma W.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Get's unsafely hot

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer for $59.00.

A lie about capacity

I bought this a month ago on the basis it said it was a 5.5 litre cooker because I was replacing one I bought years ago that was also 5.5 litres. As soon as I unpacked it I could see this was a scam regarding the size. The pot has shrunk by at least 1.5 litres of actual cooking space. No wonder they can sell it cheaper because its real cooking capacity is only 4 litres. i measured it and that's that. So be warned. I hate lying on product capacity. This cooker holds 5.5 litres from base to brim but IT IS NOT A 5.5 LITRE CAPACITY COOKER

BadBlock

BadBlockAdelaide

A bit hot, but works ok

The device gets hot, but I think that's how it is. I was advised that I'd better place it on a stove to protect the bench. The pot and lid can be washed in a dishwasher. Works fine. No switch off timer.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores for $29.00.

Hi BadBlock
Thanks for the great review. This unit does get hot. It is the belt/wrap around element for even slow cooking. We suggest to have it on a board or block to protect bench top surfaces etc.
Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Horrible product

This product is absolutely horrible! I was given this as a gift both times burnt my food on the low setting. Went back and got it replaced and this one does the same thing. Extremely hot to touch on the outside and cooked my food on the keep warm setting. This isn't okay. Defiantly returning for a refund. Will never get another sunbeam product again, way to dangerous. I should feel safe leaving my home with my slow cooker on however the smell that came off it when turned on and the fact the settings mean nothing. Lost my business.

Purchased in June 2019 at Big W for $59.00.

Hi Nat,
Sorry to hear, normally a great product. Please call us on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist or by all means return to store.

Nat

I have returned twice now and I had the same problem both times. I have gone to another brand thanks for the reply

Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for reviewing, we will take on board...

Phillip A

Phillip AAU

Excellent value Sunbeam Slow Cooker

This is an excellent economical slow cooker. Simple suitable for a family of 5. The ceramic cooking dish looks great and washes easy. The Sunbeam is Great value, is simple to use, and retains sufficient juices to allow for great curries. Best test was a tradition Goat leg curry. Time for more slow cooked stews and curries

Date PurchasedDec 2018
mj88

mj88Western Australia

Love my analog slow cooker

I requested this for Christmas after my digital Sunbeam broke (after 13 months!!). I love this model, it’s cheaper and fuss free. It does mean you can’t set the timer to turn off or turn to warm but you can remedy that by using a wall plug with a timer. Overall a good product at a good price point. Love the ceramic bowl too, I kept the bowl from my digital model so now I have two. One for dinner and one for pudding afterwards!

Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the positive feedback mj88!

justrace

justraceAU

Terrible, has wrecked my benchtop and chopping board

This is my second slow cooker, had the other one for years and never an issue (only died due to user error). Have used this one 3 times and it's wrecked my wooden benchtops - next time tried it on the chopping board and it's wrecked that as well. So dangerous - what a total waste of money - I'll be going back to Russell Hobs

Date PurchasedNov 2017

HI justrace,
So sorry to hear this has happened. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 so we can discuss this with you.

Ainsley

AinsleyBrisbane

Perfect cooking temperature, food comes out brilliant every time!

I bought this as a replacement for my Target branded slow cooker, which would consistently burn and overcook my food. So I made this purchase and I've had nothing but tasty and delightful results. It's so simple to just whip something up before work and chuck it in here knowing you can come home to a tender, flavoursome and delicious meal. I suggest cooking some beef spare ribs drenched with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce if you want to treat yourself!

And disregard negative reviews below, most of which are just about the stainless steel casing getting "too hot". Well, that's what happens when you have a heating element on the other side of stainless steel. Use your brains, my god. It's a great cooker.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Ainsley, thank you for your thoughts. I agree, slow cookers are just so helpful in our daily lives!

Busy Mum

Busy MumSydney, NSW

Does the job

Currently on sale at David Jones at an attractive price of $39.95, I went ahead and purchased one. I used it to cook and it did not disappoint! I am a working mother with 3 boys and it gets so busy esp before dinner time. I cook a night ahead, I pop everything in the slow cooker at night and have a really nice meal first thing in the morning ready for the night ahead.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Busy Mum, that's what the slow cooker is for, making meal preparation so much easier and you are the perfect example of this! Thanks for the great review...

Joanne S

Joanne SCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Extremly hot on out side.

Have just purchased this cooker and it gets extremely hot on the out side...
That hot that it's untouchable ... Should this happen .
Have only used it a few times because I'm a bit frightened of being burned. Purchased from Myer store two months ago.
To replace an existing sunbeam slow cooker that I have had for years. Just needed a bigger capacity.

Date PurchasedJune 2018

Brushy26Killara, NSW

Good upgrade

Bought this because our existing 3L Sunbeam didn't have the capacity I needed. As with the other one, it is easy to clean, cooks well and provides exactly the features required. As I have time available, I prefer to brown meats and soften vegetables on my induction cooktop rather than buy a multi-function cooker.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
Brushy26

Can't afford the cost of the freezer that would require.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Mmmm...If only Sunbeam made freezers....

Marj

MarjLindfield

Shattered lid

Had a similar experience to J Ferguson. Put lamb shanks and vegs on low at 10am and at 5pm heard an almighty 'crack' and found the glass lid had shattered into my casserole rendering it inedible. Only had this cooker for a month and used it only once before!!!! Taking it back to The Good Guys today, very disappointed as I had a Breville for many years with not one hiccup until it. Not sure whether to try again or go back to Breville???

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Richard L

Richard LSydney

Does the job

Got the slow cooker for a great price, and it does the job. Relatively easy to clean, and maintains temperature while cooking. It is very slow to heat up, so requires another pan if wanting to brown meat before adding to the slow cooker. This version has a 'keep warm' function which is useful.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Christy

ChristyMelbourne

Great value Slow Cooker

This is a great slow cooker which is nice and simple. It works well and is a decent size to make larger portions. However, this product could be improved by adding a "Keep Warm" setting which would be convenient. Otherwise, it is a great slow cooker for the price that was paid.

Korero

Korero

Great for large family.

This replaces a Sunbeam Slow-cooker I had previously that I would have still had had the ceramic inner not cracked. Have chosen a manual cooker so I can be more vigilant and take more care when I cook. Loved having the digital cooker but I believe this cooker does the trick just as well. My decision was based on the fact that the digital display died over a short time...ended up counting beeps.

See all Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520 reviews

Crystal Rasked

SecretChef HP5520

My slow cooker is smoking at the bottom and has rubber smell. It is brand new and never used before, is this normal?

Brushy26

Ours did smell a little bit on the first use. After that it has been OK. I assume it is the element affecting sheathing on the wiring. If it continues over the next two or three uses I would take it back.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Crystal. As Brushy26 said, there may be initial burn off of manufacturing oils when you first turn on the machine. This should stop after a few minutes and is fine to use. If this issue continues beyond the first use, there may be a different problem and I would advise to bring back to the store.

Crystal R

Can’t bring back to store as it’s past the 12 month warranty stage. Just haven’t used it till now. I’ve sent yous an email about my experience and have received no reply.

Jv21

Jv21asked

SecretChef HP5520

My meat comes out tough as an old boot every single time I cook in In?! What am I doing wrong?? I initially thought maybe it was that the lid doesn't really secure that well on this model and its just a cheap one but everyone above seems to love it?

Casaberth

Casaberthasked

SecretChef HP5520

Hi, I am considering either the HP5520 (or 4520) against the HP5590. It appears the only difference is the automatic switch to keep warm when meal is cooked. Is this a necessary requirement if you will not be home? I have noticed most customer reviewers have the 5520. Also which size is best for a family of four, with occasional leftovers.

Chrisalan
Chrisalan

We have the HP5520 ,ours is 5 years old, the 5520 will easily feed a family of 4 ( easily ), this is our second slow cooker of the exact same model, seem's to get a bad rap from people, read the bad rap, but make a informed decision from all points of view, we have friends who have the exact same model with no problems, IF you have a problem then get it fixed !, the cooker is left on in the mornings, come home to a hot meal, we have no problem with the cooker, happliy boils away in either fast or slow mode, the simmer mode works as it should. Sunbeam warranty ALL their products, something goes wrong use it !, hope this helps you decide.

See all Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520 questions

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Compare both Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520