Sunbeam Maestro TA6240 / TA6440

Sunbeam Maestro TA6240 / TA6440

TA6240 and TA6440

Keeps dying, wont start in cold weather when you turn it on, now it blows the circuit breaker. It’s dead after 5mths.

Less than three months old. Last seven days it hasn’t turned on twice when the power has been turned on. Leave it for four hrs plus and it beeps then comes on. Worst toaster ever. Overpriced piece of crap.

Purchased in February 2019 for $80.00.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi eagle north coast, Sorry to hear this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 so we can offer assistance...

Hate it

The springs inside the toast slot are too weak, and the toast jams against the casing every time in pops up. The high lift function is not high enough so once I've unjammed the toast, it's still very hard to get the toast out. To be fair I use sourdough loaf. It might be fine if you use the standard square loaf of supermarket bread.

Purchased in September 2018.

Even Toasting No
Hi Mark, Thank you for your review. It does depend on the thickness and size of the bread you are using. Sourdough bread does tend to not toast evenly in most toasters. We will certainly pass your feedback on to our design and technology team.

Died in 2 years

Performed well, especially with crumpets and elongated bread. Bought 2 years ago as always had Sunbeam toasters. Took a while to figure out time changes for subsequent toast once the elements had warmed up. Perfect 99% of the use.
Sadly same problem as AdamMadd in August 2018 with it dying. The lights are on but no heat.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Waa good while it worked

Bought this 2 yrs ago because it was supposed to be a good quality toaster. And while it worked, it was. But it doesn't last too long. (our previous kambrook lasted 7 years)

Good points:
Good price range for a crumpet toaster
Digital display showing how much time left.
Issues:
Digital toast settings - if you wanted a setting between 1 and 2, it wasn't easily possible.
Died less than 2yrs after buying it with sparks, a small Puff of electrical smoke, and a safety switch tripping.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi AdamMadd. Sorry to hear of the issues you had with your Sunbeam toaster. Please give our customer care team a call on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to further assist you.Tried that and that was a waste of my time. They were not able to assist me at all as you said they would. They told me because it only comes with a 12 months warranty, there's nothing they can do.Hi Adam, Please send a private message with your number and we will contact you directly.

Excellent inexpensive toaster

This 4 slice toaster is one of the few models around now that still does crumpet setting.
It cooks the perfectly (without burning the bases).
The functions are simple to use and work like you would expect (easy to learn and use).
The count down timer is handy.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Luigi C, what to say? We love to hear a customer loving their product, thank you so much!!!!!

Poor design

With a closed roasting compartment bottom decorated by a 4 mm slit . It became a crumb trap on the 2 ledges with only small crumb particles falling into the shallow so called tray. There is no way to keep clean. What a designer team? Sunbeam should offer free cleanup for these toaster!!

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi John...thanks for the great feeback.....the removable crumb tray is made to standard specifications, however we understand that when it is used by a family every day it quickly fills up with crumbs and needs to be taken out and lightly wiped over to clear the crumbs.The problem is not the removable tray. It is small and only collect the crumbs that falls through the small crack/slit from the roasting chambers. Other materials collected on the ledges bordering the slit and is impossible to clean .. almost, this is the design faults. This could lead to ? Fire.Question is what Sunbeam is doing about the problem. Other makers are doing a straight through design so that crumbs fall straight into the tray which should be a little deeper so that larger particles could be collected.

This toaster must be defective

Have used it now since receiving it from Appliances Online recently a few times and while using the crumpet feature notice the elements were not bright.The time to partly cook the crumpet was around 8 minutes.I took the crumpet feature off and immediately the elements brightened to what would be normal and is what they are when toasting bread.
Yet the book says when the crumpet feature is activated extra power is sent to the elements for the top part of the crumpet.
Very, very disappointed.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Well done Sunbeam Technical support crew, the toaster has been replaced and all is now well !!!!!!!!However a week later the crumpet setting has failed ! Chinese production is failing Sunbeam and the quality of an old Company is now compromised.Has now reached the end of its productive life, takes toast to cook twice over on the max setting !! Into the bin, never buy Sunbeam again which is sad as they once were a proud top product but ruined by Chinese bad production methods.

Electrical safety hazard

Toaster worked well for two weeks, then it continually tripped the circuit breaker. Tried it in other power circuits with same results. If it trips a circuit breaker, that means there is an electrical short which has a potential for electrocution and/or fire. This is a dangerous product as we noticed there are other reports of electrical safety issues. Additionally it is not possible to make fine timing adjustments which one would expect with a digital counter.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great toaster, smart (sort of) and has quite a few nice functions with digital timer

It is a nice toaster that I bought, quite pricey, but I wanted something that is going to last and function well. This sunbeam maestro seemed (so far 2.5 years) alright, and functioned pretty well, I particularly liked the digital timer thing which remembers your setting, though you have to keep it plugged in.

For a price of $79 at Harvey Norman, it was OK, since it was one of the best in that price range, and I hope it is going to last a bit longer.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Great when it works!

First toaster lasted three months before it flashed, sparked and tripped the safety switch. Would then only toast, very feebly, on one side. Took it back to The Good Guys and foolishly exchanged it for another one. After all, when it worked it was great for long pieces of bread. We’ve had the replacement for a week or so and it just tripped the safety switch. Still works but it’s just a matter of time until it dies too. Sunbeam used to be a reliable brand - those days are long gone.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

looks good but overcooks

Using setting 3 (of 5) burned the toast to black- so I'm not quite sure who would ever use 5.
Setting 1 and 2 get used only in our household.
The crumpet button is good as it cooks the crumpet longer on the top than bottom- however setting 1 was sufficient.
The countdown feature is useful for cooking a big breakfast and the longer slots for large slices of bread is also great.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great Toaster Great Price Too

I purchase this Sunbeam Toaster after much deliberation and we are very happy with the results. It toasts Crumpets to perfection, it toasts them so they are nice & fluffy, perfection. It is the perfect size to sit on the benchtop and not take up too much space, has some great features on it like the illuminated count down timer that lets you know how long it is going to take, also the tone to let you know the toast is done, the high lift feature is great to use if you want to check and see how things are going so all in all a really good toaster, we did purchase the longer version but took it back as it was just too bulky and long taking up too much space on the benchtop, whereas this one slots in nicely very compact so very happy with purchase.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Caused a major electrical fire

Had this toaster for two years. Last night, about two minutes after my husband made toast, this toaster caught on fire, and a terrifying electrical fire ensued which filled much of the house with smoke and required evacuation and an emergency attendance by firefighting crew. Burns to our pantry, hardwood floors and outdoor decking occurred, and my husband received a burn to the hand.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Ah! Toast on Time

Recent purchase - it's day 3 and I'm still lamenting the sudden failure of my Tefal extra wide single toaster which toasted admirably.
David Jones were offering discounted specials on toasters ranging from brand super glam to outright ordinary. I chose ordinary because of price and function. This toaster does what it is supposed to do, simply toast: croissants, sourdough and fruit bread. The best feature is an illuminated count down timer showing time remaining before toast is done (Tefal used to have that feature in a discontinued model).
I toast my sourdough twice on a low setting for a perfect dry crunch result - delicious! The toaster alerts you with an audible tone when toast is ready so between that and my kettle it's a tonal symphony in my kitchen. Two other features I enjoy are the high lift feature that allows you to extract small pieces of toast. The other Is when the toaster is left unattended it drops into standby - for me it's a reminder to switch it off at the wall and conserve energy. But by far the best feature is its compact footprint on my kitchen bench - unobtrusive sleek and stainless steel.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great if you only want to toast one side.

Purchased this toaster only to find it faulty as it would only toast one side.
Replaced with another only to find the same fault after about 6 months.
When it was working correctly it did a pretty good job, nice count down timer.
Not sure I will get another Sunbeam.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

works great for the office so far

Bought this for the office and so far so it gets used every day. Its got a count down features tells you the time. Everything is electronic so you can set the time. Would of liked a button for 15 seconds more as some types of breads take longer to toast. I usually set it to option 2 for 2:15sec.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Was good until it stopped toasting both sides!

Loved this toaster as it could fit larger pieces of bread, had a great display giving you a countdown until your item was ready and a crumpet function. Then this weekend it broke and now only lightly toasts one side of the bread for some reason. We bought it a couple of years ago from DJs, can't remember what we paid, though I did expect it to last longer as we don't use it extensively!

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Toast ok. Crumpet setting doesn't work

Love the timer on the front. Toasts ok. Crumpet setting doesn't work - initially this crumpet setting will work but after about a minute it shuts down and resets. Only just bought the product. Very disappointed. Had the previous model which worked great. I suspect this particular item is faulty. Will seek a replacement through sunbeam.

Great purchase

Got this on sale at Myer and just loving the digital timer on the front....no longer am I at the mercy of the toaster, I can know exactly when it's going to be ready. Haven't burnt anything in this, works well on all settings. Having taken back three Breville toasters, this was such a relief.

Does what its meant to do - TOAST

Even though it has a digital cook display it is easy to use.
Cooks toast evenly and not over cooked.
Crumpets are perfect.
A little more expensive than I would normally pay, but that seems to be the way with toasters these days.
Was recommended by a friend and word of mouth is how they sell products these days.
Highly recommended product

Date PurchasedJul 2017

After 3 years of great toasting, the LCD screen is dying and the display is really weak. Can this be fixed or will it be cheaper to replace the toaster? I was expecting 10 years from this machine.
Hi there, sorry I have no idea. Maybe you could phone Sunbeam or a local fixit company. Mine burns the crust and leaved the middle pale. So not happy now either. Think these days to get 3 years is pretty good. If you can wait till the January sales you'd get a really good price. Shop around. Hope this helps. cheers Dianne.Sorry can't actually help you on that one. Best thing to do is contact manufacturer or a reputable service centre. Considering the throw away society we are I'm guessing a new one... good luck

Purchased a TA6440 this weekend, after my old toaster died after 7 years of faithful service. The timing settings on this toaster are crazy!!! We are regular crumpet eaters and on the lowest setting 1, the time defaults to 4.00 minutes, this is way too long for crumpets. There is no way you can leave this unattended to cook and it would be downright dangerous to let children use this product. Why on earth would you need a setting of 6 which equates to nearly 7 minutes on the crumpet setting - its a house fire waiting to happen??
Strange my crumpet setting is timed lime the: 1 = 1min 45 sec 2 = 2 min 05 sec 3 = 2 min 25 sec..... up to 6 = 3 min 20 sec. This is for the 2 slice version. Maybe yours is potentially faulty/calibrayed wrongly at the factory.Just went to check and mine also says 6 minutes 40 seconds on crumpet setting for 6 - I have never checked that out! It is crazy!!! Would never use it that's for sure - also find the 4 minutes on the minimum time setting a bit crazy - why doesn't it start at 2 minutes and go up to 4 max??? You will notice too that once you have used the toaster, the time settings vary according to how hot the elements are, so 1 drops back as far as about 53 seconds on the second lot of toast. The theory of this toaster is excellent, it is just that the actual functions are crap!!!

Sunbeam Maestro TA6240Sunbeam Maestro TA6440