Sunbeam SecretChef HP8555

Sunbeam SecretChef HP8555 (page 2 of 7)

MPN: 35904460

Was good then not

This slow cooker used to work great then half way through cooking it just died. electronics wont turn on. Contacted Sunbeam and the response was cant be fixed so we will offer 30% off next sunbeam purchase. I did like it when it worked but customer service has been awful. Am now in contact with ACCC. we think a slow cooker should last longer than 2 years.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Great in theory not good in practice!

Great idea to have the sear option that actually is very handy and this feature works well. However that's where the unit stops working well. This machine runs hot even on the low setting. Also the insert starts to peel after a short amount of time! So all in all I would not recommend this unit

Date PurchasedJul 2016

It's good

It's okay. I can't see that it is any better or worse than models my friends have. Cooks fine, functions are easy to understand and recipes translate well. It's bigger than I thought and could feed a decent sized family. Great for preparing legumes and beans, I don't eat meat so have not used it for that, bit my daughter bius the slow cooker sachets and uses the cheapest cuts of meat and gets compliments every time

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Boils on low mode

I love the searing mode all in one slow cooker but this is the second one Ive purchased as the lowest setting on slow cook bubbles too high - pretty much boils. The idea is to leave it on at home while Im at work, Im glad I tested it first. I couldnt possibly do that. And for the price I paid it shouldnt be a worry. Otherwise its great quality but I cannot keep it.

Great slow cooker

I upgraded from a smaller Sunbeam slow cooker to this one and I'm loving it. The fact you can do everything in the one pan (and control the temperature) is excellent. This means much less cleaning and a much better outcome. Haven't been able to fault it so far. Use it as a frypan as well.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good value

Does as a slow cooker should. Great searing feature. I can make yogurt with it too =). Doesn't allow water to evaporate out. So easy to clean. Everything just slides off the non stick surface. At $150 it is really good value, we even bought it for friends who loved it.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Love it

Cannot live without this - love the searing feature and I liked it so much I bought a second one to roast vegies in while I slow roast the meat - I use it almost every day even to make desserts and cakes in - best appliance I have ever had

Date PurchasedApr 2015

All in one, Saves time & Only use I dish

I wanted this due to the searing/browning option & doing it all in one dish. It's very easy to clean & it looks great on my kitchen bench. I have a Roast Leg of Lamb in my Breville 7ltr SC and I will be doing the Roast Vegetables in my SunBeam Smart Chef as it's the perfect size for them & I know that my families meal will be on time and perfectly cooked. Will add more to my review a few months down the track after I give it a good workout with cooking lots of different recipes

Date PurchasedJul 2017

I'm back in the kitchen - again

Sister in law and I both bought one and we txt each other daily on what we're making. Having the sear and browning modes are fantastic and choosing your own time length is good too. My creative juices are flowing again and my dishwasher remains empty as I do everything in the secret chef. For any recipes that dont have any greens etc I just pop them in an hr or so before times up on top of whats cooking. I've got my money's worth already.

Love it!

This product is everything I had hoped. It cooks perfectly, and I love the digital display.
It is light to move or carry around, important for me as I have to take it to my parents occasionally to cook them dinner. Super easy to clean. Even my husband is impressed!

Really disappointed.

This is my 3rd replacement as the first was on high all the time, the second burnt the bottom where element is and the third is still way too fast. Not a slow cooker at all compared to the Breville I had before.
Easy to clean and the features are pretty good.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

No fuss no mess

My daughter bought me this for Christmas and l love it.lhave gone mad cooking soup for all the family this winter.love the fact that you can sear and sautée in in slow cooker so no extra washing up . The controls are easy to understand and use and has a keep warm function. Doesn't take up much bench space either.good product.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Read instructions and all works fantastically well :-)

The one thing I disliked about slow cookers was the need to sear meat in a separate pan prior to placing it in the slow cooker. I love the extra flavour seared and sauteed veg give to a slow cooked meat so it was not something i wanted to omit.
I purchased the SUNBEAM - HP8555 - SECRETCHEF SEAR & SLOW COOKER last year and have never looked back....all in one pot, just the way it should be. This gives me now two very valuable appliances for delicious, flavoursome meals - my slow cooker and my pressure cooker (for when one forgets to take out meat the night before :-/ )
Just a word of wisdom...it really pays to read the cooking instructions prior to starting.....it saves loads of time "waiting" for the cooker to heat up to searing temp.....-thought I knew it all ;-)
PPS...an absolute breeze to clean

Date PurchasedMay 2016
someone asked if the insert on this product was made from Teflon, I wasn't sure so I asked Sunbeam...their response: Date: 18/07/2017 Please be advised the non-stick coating on the HP8555 cooking pan is Teflon. Kind Regards, Jessica Customer Care Just made a discovery...don't use your stick blender in the insert ...made pumpkin soup and scratched the teflon out of my base :-(

Slow cooking made easy!

Cooking with this is so easy. The food comes out tasty and rich tasting. Very easy to clean, nothing sticks even after 10-12 hrs cooking. Very easy to use, no kitchen should be without this. You can cook all kinds of meals including winter soups, casseroles and curries, stews etc.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great Product ! Winter soups and broths!

Great product. Just leave it on before work and everything is ready after work. A ready warm and cosy dinner. No need to rush after work etc.

Works great. Minimal maintenance as only 3 items (lid, pot and electrical area!) Great time saver for dinner preparations.My first slow cooker, will not be my last.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Love it!

This would be the best slow cooker I've had! I brought it 3 years ago and I'm forever cooking in it. It's great cooking I love the results out of it beautiful melt in your mouth roasts it's just amazing. It's easy to use you don't even have to read the booklet to understand it. If you ever forget that you want to slow cook for 8 hours there's another option to cook for 4 hours on medium which is just as good. It's very big so I can cook for 8 in it which is always helpful in special occasions! Very easy to clean and pack up. Definitely recommend! Would be good for students also.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Time saver

Bought this to replace my 20 year old one. Bit disappointed as I find it cooks way too fast for a slow cooker. I have to decrease cooking time which doesn't make the meat as tender as my old one. Old one cooked a corned silverside perfectly in 8 hours- this one, 4 hours but tougher meat. I do however like the "keep warm" function.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

A little frustrating for a beginner

First time using a slow cooker was quite frustrating. I used slow cooker recipes from online and from the given booklet, and cooked under their recommended settings and time, but my food was always undercooked and required another few hours or I'd finish cooking it in the oven. I'll keep practising with it but the results so far are not good. It is however easy to clean.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Doesn't slow cook

I had problems with a couple of cheaper slow cookers, so spent the money on this expensive Sunbeam model. Unfortunately even on the slowest setting - 8 hrs, it cooks everything in about 3-4 hours. After an hour or so everything is bubbling away inside, way too hot....very disappointed. I will have to look at a replacement, the old saying 'you get what you pay for' doesn't apply with this product.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Handy to have but don't expect a gourmet meal from it

Slow cooker is definitely a handy appliance to have in the kitchen
Got one as a present not long ago

here are some good points what I like about the Sunbeam slow cooker:
1) Big clear glass to check on the cooking
2) have the Browning option to brown your meat first
3) easy to clean with the non-stick container which is quite large in size

on the other hand, there are points which are disappointing:
1) The timing on the Browning function doesnt seem to work that well
2) Don't see much difference between the high and low cooking function for the end result
3) good for cooking food to tender, but cant use to make stock/soup, it doesnt seem to get the flavour out from the bone when making soup

Date PurchasedJan 2017

is this programmable- that is, can you set a timer to commence cooking at some later time?
Unfortunately not. It's the one feature missing (and something we missed in an earlier slow cooker we had). It does have a "warm" function though, which stays on for around 4 hours once your food is cooked which helps.Hi DandJ, Thank you for your question. Sorry - he HP8555 does not have this feature. Have a look at the CHP300 Express Crock XL Multi Cooker. This has a slow cooker function (amongst many others) and has a time delay function that allows you to delay the start of your cooking so that cooking finishes when you need it. Kind Regards SunbeamNo DandJ it does not have a preset progam facility which is a pity. What attracted me though was the searing capability which I find to be good and suits my purpose.

Has anyone had trouble with the slow cooker button not working? It won’t scroll through H to low to warm. The timer just changes. Weird. Browning button works. Annoying.

I really like this cooker and is used in my household everyday. This is the 3rd one I have bought. And the exactly the same issue has happened to this one also. After 8-12 months it doesn’t heat up for searing or more then 150 degrees. Has anyone else had this problem?, as it’s the 3rd one, thinking it’s a issue with the product. They still work perfectly for slow cooking which I have found to be such a great cooker for. Cheers Mark

SecretChef HP8555