Disappointed with Sunbeam Verve SR6550

I bought the new Verve SR6550 iron about 3-4 weeks ago and used it on my next ironing day. Read the instructions and how the iron worked. Couldn't stand the continual beeping for whatever was upsetting it. 2nd week: tried again to use the iron. It beeped after about 5-10 seconds having stood it on its heel. (need to stop ironing to straighten the clothes). Then it got upset again - more beeping - couldn't work out what the problem was. I shall return this to the store when I'm next in that town. After 50+ years of ironing I should know basic safety and how to use an iron! I shall go back to my non-digital steam iron which still does a good job. It's also a bit heavy.

Purchased in February 2021.

Product is usedWeekly
Chantal Becker

Chantal BeckerSouth East Queensland, QLD

CHEAPLY MADE

This is the 2nd of these irons I have purchased in the last 12 months, the small plastic knob that locks the water door closed has broken off on BOTH irons, now when ironing I cannot fill past 1/4 full or water leaks out all over the garments. Cheaply made, I won't be buying another, I've learned my lesson.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Disappointed - supposed to no drip- drips constantly

Purchased this model to replace my old sunbeam iron. This model drips on my clothes, I first thought it was faulty and returned it to the store. The buttons on the spray and water functions lift off too easily and kept coming off. The replacement one did the same thing.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Irons & Steam Generators

Find out how Sunbeam Verve Platinum SR6550 compares to other Irons & Steam Generators

JaejaePerth, WA

Fine at first, but then terrible.

Bought for a reasonable price at Kmart and it worked well for a short while. This iron then began to leak and spit a little.

Now it doesn't heat up, despite the light being 'on'. The heat selection dial seems fine and I can hear the thermostat clicking, but there is absolutely no heat whatsoever. The iron also beeps when it has been sitting without use for a while, so that function also seems fine.

I am very disappointed with this iron. I had my previous Sunbeam iron for close to 20 years. This one lasted just over one year. I don't feel the same way about Sunbeam that I once did.

I think I'll try a different brand of iron now.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Jaejae

I have just dug out my receipt and I made an error. I purchased the iron on 15/04/2014, so it is 2 years and 5 months old. As it is past the 2 year warranty, will Sunbeam replace the iron, or should I bin it?

Jaejae

Sunbeam's customer service has been wonderful. A replacement iron has been organised. Thank you Sunbeam!

Audette83

Audette83Biloela

Really disappointed!

After owning a sunbeam vultura 5500 which I absolutely loved, I purchased this one. It's a pretty iron so was so excited to use it. The noise it makes when sucking in the water for the steam was much too loud for me and on the first use, after 15 mins it was sticking to the clothes.. So I took it back. So disappointed as my last iron was so perfect and lasted me 9 years! I purchased a Philips iron today in hopes its a lot better than the verve 65. Wish I had read some reviews before purchasing. Unfortunately I don't think I'll go back to sunbeam.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Great iron

Purchased Verve 65 Platinum today at K-Mart & used first time tonight. That is what I call a steam iron, made ironing my husbands shirt a breeze. Returned my Russell Hobbs iron as steam button kept sticking & hardly any steam. So far so good with this one & nice long cord.

Brendan K.Sunbeam

Loyalty to Sunbeam brand exhausted!!

Well I am afraid that I too am very disappointed with this iron. Have always had sunbeam and have always been happy, but not this one I could literally throw it away, yes it leaks all over the place, does not get hot enough and the steam, spray buttons keep falling off. Please renew my faith in (what in mind is) a reliable brand.

Charlotte

CharlotteBundaberg

Do not buy this product

Very disappointed in this product. It leaks water all over our clothes and the buttons for steam & spray are loose and fell out. We pushed them back in but they keep popping out. We only had this iron for a couple of months but need to throw it away. What a waste of money! Our previous Phillips iron lasted many years and we only had to replace it because it fell & broke. We won't be buying a Sunbeam again.

Leaking water constantly

This iron wasn't cheap, I can't remember what I paid but I made sure I bought a decent model. It has constantly leaked water and now leaks so much sometimes the water goes on my hand and is really hot. My mother-in-law won't iron for me anymore ever because of the leaking. Going to have to buy a new one but it can't be a Sunbeam, this is the second leaking iron I've bought.

Graton

Graton

Will never buy a Sunbeam iron again!!!

I have three Sunbeam irons and all constantly leak water (and I cannot find/see where from) which increases my ironing time substantially!

Doesn't Sunbeam have any quality control mechanisms with the manufacturer?

I'll certainly be trying other manufacturers (after I have checked their reviews).

Have always thought Sunbeam was a trusted manufacturer!!

Randall

Randall

Terrible

The buttons for steam brop out. Took it apart to see what was wrong. It is so poorly manufactured it's a wonder it lasted the couple of months that it did last. I have had enough of pushing the buttons back in every 10 minutes. I have always used sunbeam irons but not next time.

Brendan K.Sunbeam

I do apologise for the experience you have had with the Sunbeam SR6550. Please give our Customer Care team a call on 1300 881 861 and one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist.

Sunbeam crap 65 platinum

Just purchased this iron yesterday, it is a disgrace. Shot of steam takes time to occur after steam button is pushed, leaks water all the time while ironing and the water filler seal leaks. The buttons and water filler cover look very flimsy. Returned for refund today. No more sunbeam products for me. What happened Sunbeam, is you design engineer Donald Duck? If this is the best you can do maybe you should get your products designed in China along with the manufacturing.

Paul Stevenson

Paul StevensonGold Coast

Steam button broke

As per other reviews, one of the steam buttons broke off. The iron is only 18 months old. Not worth the price.

Jo Hawthorne

Jo HawthorneSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst iron EVER!!!!!!!!

I purchased a Sunbeam Verve 65 Platinum iron a couple of years ago and while it was still under warranty the steam buttons broke away from the iron. Tried to get it repaired but was told to replace it with a new one which I did last year (2014). Whilst ironing this morning the buttons have broken away from the iron AGAIN!!!!! This iron is rubbish and I won't be replacing it with another Sunbeam. Judging by the amount of reviews which specify the same problem, perhaps Sunbeam should think about recalling this model and going back to the drawing board. Very disappointing.

F Oneda

F OnedaSydney

Leaky Sunbeam Verve 65

Yes, mine leaks/dribbles too with dark flakes in the liquid. Settings are always just between Cotton and Linen with just under full steam. The steam dial is very difficult to turn. Both the shot of steam and spray buttons have broken off despite my never using these features. Just about the worst iron I have ever purchased. Of course, it's out of warranty and I no longer have the docket. Wouldn't matter as I don't want another one or this one serviced. Drove me to distraction that it catches the buttons on shirts.
The long cord
Everything else.

Brendan K.Sunbeam

Hi F Oneda, please contact our Consumer Support Team and we can organise to send the buttons out to you. Our contact is 1300 881 861.

See all Sunbeam Verve Platinum reviews