Suzuki Boulevard M109R

Suzuki Boulevard M109R Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Suzuki? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

38 questions from our users

Tay H.asked

I have a 2007 M109r with factory exhaust and there no o2 sensors on the bike period, is that normal for 2007?

Lesson Learnt
Lesson Learntasked

G'day, I have a 2019 M109R. On group rides I am often told my bike is too quiet - particularly when overtaking other riders. Is there a simple way to increase the exhaust sound without fitting new pipes, or compromising the ECU? I've seen a video where extra holes are drilled into the end of the exhaust but am not sure if this will make a worthwhile difference. Another video mentioned removing baffles. I don't want it to sound like a jumbo jet taking off. Am I asking for the impossible? Cheers, Nige

Ray G.
Ray G.

Yes, It's well worth the standard exhaust modification. You need to use a hole saw to open the baffles (there are two per pipe, one is easily reached, the other is set deeper and needs a longer hole saw stem), then drill 8 evenly spaced 12mm holes in the pipe endcaps (lots of YouTube how to online). Better sound, not too aggressive, but suitable for the M109R appearance and better exhaust breathing. Hope this helps. Ray

Solomon Siya M.
Solomon Siya M.asked

I have 2007 M109r when I start it I see petrol coming from the air filter I changed pipes it became better but I still see the petrol.

Change your spark plugs there’s 4 of them

Geoff R
Geoff Rasked

I had to refit the temperature sensor to my 109R because the gasket had a slow leak. The sensor is situated between the cylinders. Some water was lost when re-fitting. I am concerned there is now an air bubble in the cooling system which will affect the performance of the cooling system. Should I wait to see or will the engine take up the water lost thru take up from the water overflow bottle or should I refill via the radiator run the engine, refill, run the engine until the air (bubble) has gone.

Ralph.m
Ralph.masked

I have a 2007 109r bolvard1800 my bike starts like its out of gas I put 4$ of gas in the tank and the gas light keep saying out of gas and bike won’t turn over just keep acting like it’s out of gas. Any ideas?

JAC

Looks like blocked fuel filter inside tank or fuel line blocked. Check fuel line first if there is fuel flowing, if not, could be fuel filter will need replacing. (Bit of a dicky job, but suggest to take the tank off to replace it and clean out any residue or rust flake out)

Megan
Meganasked

I have a 2018 Suzuki m109r boss boulevard and was wondering if anyone could tell me why the right side of my bike gets extremely hot? Its blowing excessive heat up by my knee on the ride side. Could it be a leak in the exhaust?

JAC

If you changed exhaust for performance exhaust, it may be an exhaust leak. If the exhaust is still standard, suggest re-check exhaust to engine bolts and tighten according manufacture specs.

Make sure radiator reservoir has sufficient coolent and hoses for any leakage. If there is leakage and not enough water, engine/exhaust buildup will occue.

Extrememly rare but worth to rule out, check air filter for any blockage as it may run a little leaner, causing a tad more heat.

If not any of the above, you may have a faulty exhaust actuator or sensor, causing the butterfly valve in the exhaust system to not open fully under normal riding condition, causing higher engine/exhaust heat build-up. This rarely malfunctions on stock exhaust systems, but always good to check to rule this out. For this, have a Suzuki motorbike dealer mechanic check and test.

Thomas J.asked

when i drive hard and i engine break in second gear from 5000 to 2500 rpm.
i get a f1 light.how come ?
its a 2015 model m109r and have a healtech sensor eliminator on,
turn power off and its gone every time

JAC

FI light relates to your fuel injection system. Healtech normaly eliminates false FI lights. A few guys I know had similar issues, but all causes varied alot.
Try any of the following to rule it out;

1. Dirty fuel injectors. Fill with fuel injector cleaner for the next 3 tanks full of fuel to clean injectors. If still happening, try 2.

2. Replace fuel filter. Bit of a big job, but basicly tank needs to come of to replace it. Also check you dont have rust flakes in your tank as this can cause fuel filter to not work probably. Or 3.

3. Check healtech wiring is not scalded, pinched and harness contacts are secure and not loose.

4. Assuming you have replaced exhaust pipes or bought bike with non standars pipes? If so, you may have O2 eliminators installed, if so, make sure no vacuum leakage through O2 eliminators as think can trigger a false FI sensor to turn on.

5. If still have issues after all checks above, then may have to take it to an M109R capable mechanic to triubleshoot further and rectify as it may be trhe fuel injection model itself or potentially could be a faltering healtech sensor.

Good luck....

thx alot.ill try it out

Wayneasked

I stripped the gear oil filler nut can I fill from the other plug?

JAC

Yes, so long as filler plug case thread is ok and not shredded. Recommend to purchase a new filler nut.

Wayne

Hey Jac I will replace but wanna ride now the other nut I'm talking about is the one that is dead center on the hub can I put the gear oil in there too till I get the new filler nut thanks

Randall Basked

2013 M109R 8, 500 Mi swppp training exhaust Spike air filters flashed ECU the motorcycle started spitting and popping through the exhaust I have new plugs new fuel filter also throws under acceleration from a hard pull a f i 30 code which is the idle air sensor that I replace with two other ones and still throws the same code what's going on?

JAC

You need O2 sensor eliminator, otherwise FI light always pop up and exhaust wil pop until fixed.

not a California model that does not have O2 sensor

Dustin M
Dustin M

Randall b. Did you figure out the problem? Have one doing the same thing..

DIRK V.
DIRK V.asked

The airfilter keeps coming loose from the bracket due to vibration, what can fix the problem?

Loctite

X Z.
X Z.asked

I know this must not be a beginner bike, but I just love this unique look, can this be my first bike for my daily commute? (mostly highway and a bit bumps and hills in the city)

Wicked

It's a great commuter, but I wouldn't recommend it to be your first bike. It's big, heavy,and very powerful. There's more to riding then sitting there going straight on a freeway. Roads curve ,people driving like idiots, etc. Get a small cheap bike to learn the basics then work your way up in bike size. Being on a bike is not a game. There's no do overs. Its life or death and survival. Most accidents are due to people thinking they can just jump on a bike and ride.

Wicked

There's a video on youtube where a young man did what you're wanting to do. He bought an M109R for his first bike and he recorded his first ride. It shows him enjoying the ride then a car goes on his lane going toward him.Now an experienced rider had enough time to avoid the car, but this was his first bike.and you could hear him say "Oh crap" I think 3 times. The it took for him to say those words could've been used to avoid the on coming car. He hit the car head on and died. His mother posted the video. If you're young then what's the rush? You have your whole life ahead of you to enjoy riding. You don't want it to possibly end all because you don't want to take the time to learn. If there's a track near you do some track days. Get a used small ninja 300 and learn to race, or the very least, learn to maneuver the bike. Lastly, opening the throttle and going fast is addicting, and also EASY. Much like what most of the idiot kids on the road that ride crotch rockets do between cars. Skill comes when you can negotiate a hard turn with speed. Do some track days and learn to drag your knees. Just my 2cents.

Pat Fiori

As noted by the other comments, it's not a first time bike, bumps can have you losing control if riding experience is limited, at the twist of the throttle you will quickly be in three digits, the shear weight and the 240 rear tyre also come into play. Yes once on the go, it gives you confidence, but unless your riding skills are limited, there are definitely better suited bikes (even cruises) that will give you confidence especially in the wet. Good luck on your journey

anthonyfarmer1971
anthonyfarmer1971asked

Is it a good riding position for your back?

Wicked

It's an aggressive drag style seating so it's a little forward but not too much. It helps with this much torque . Keeps u from being thrown back. It's not a laid back position nor is it a beginners bike. Its big with overwhelming power. I've ridden over 500 miles in one day and no problem.

Steve212120
Steve212120

I added 2 inch extensions and it was very comfortable over long distance.

Pat Fiori

For me, I'm 6'1" so it gives me a relaxed feel and a slightly forward stance which I like now that I am in my older years. I feel in control, sit in the bike rather than on like a Harley, can ride longer with less pressures on the back and arms, fell seat helps for longer rides. Most importantly when you crack the throttle open and say bye bye to whoever you are leaving behind, the seat keeps you planted without being shot off the bike. Hope this helps.

Lew J
Lew Jasked

what is the Stock Rear tyre size & Specs on a 2008 Suzuki M109R and what is the widest tyre that I can fit to this bike. Thanks, Lew

Wicked

Stock tire is 240. You can go as wide as 280 from what I'm seeing in forums without using a 300 kit. I used a 250 and it was plenty wide and already a tight fit.

Groova
Groovaasked

Hi there, I have a 07 m109r and have put on freedom sharp curve radius plus k@N filters and power commander 5 with the cobra dragster map as recomended. I am experiencing a flat spot and vibration at 4000rpm even to the extent that I can wind it right on at these revs and doesnt pick up like anywhere else in the rev band. Any suggestions appreciated.

Wicked

Timing retarder helped my 09 flat spot. Mine was around 3k rpm They're not expensive so it would be worth a try .

BENJAMIN H.
BENJAMIN H.asked

i have a 2008 m109R recently my engine started cutting out and the f1 light came on. I could not make it home so I parked it overnight came back the next day after putting a can of sea foam in the tank. finally go-t it going well enough to make it home but after this the bike will start but only at idle if i give it gas it dies. so far i have checked the fuel pump, the spark plugs, the fuel filter, the injectors, all seem to be working properly. I do have a power commander unit installed, could this be the issue?

Tony M.
Tony M.

have you checked if the right wires are in the right spot ???? I've been reading when a power commander is put in sometimes who-ever put one plug in the wrong plug hole. eg two plugs are that close the plug in front IS not the right plug. hopes this helps

mohamed l.
mohamed l.

I have the same issue tomorrow i will manage to bring an export to have a look and help me to start it.
i will share his findings if we managed to start it

Ismail B.
Ismail B.asked

there is a small rubber part attached to the right side of the speedometer to the riser which help reduce the vibration of the speedometer. any one knows the name of this part? 2015 Suzuki Boulevard M109R BOSS is the bike

Mahmoud R.
Mahmoud R.asked

While i am on the second gear if i hit the throttle and the rpm goes high the motorcycle have some delay in speeding, as if the motorcycle is responding then not responding then responding then not responding. WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE HELP?

dnlmclean

There is a slight restriction when you pull full throttle, it seems if you give it a little less than full throttle it will accelerate quicker than full throttle. Sometimes fitting a K&N air filter can help, also de-restricting the exhaust can help too,, The M109R has a restriction in 2nd and 3rd gear, if you try to hold it at a steady speed in these two gears the bike will stutter quite a bit, this is because there two gears are restricted. You can fit a device easily which fools the bike in to thinking it is in 4th gear and it eliminates the restriction giving you full power in second and third gears. The device is reasonably priced and can be found in many motorcycle accessories shops, Hope this helps,

Omy 2lay
Omy 2layasked

FI flashing loosing idling when hot

dnlmclean

Overheating maybe? make sure you use proper oil

Mark B
Mark Basked

Does anyone know if the pre 2017/2018 models m109r exhausts like a 2008 exhaust fit a 2017 model?

Wicked

I had an 09 full exhaust and fit perfectly on a 19. Everything should be interchangeable.

Captn Jack
Captn Jackasked

Fitting spike air filters do I need power commander or re mapping? the bike is fuel injection not carbs

dnlmclean

Only if you change the full exhaust system

Other Cruiser Bikes