Suzuki DF115

See the Best Outboard Motors in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Best motor around

best outboard I have ever owned. I have owned it and have never had it in the shop. I do my own oil and lower unit. best 4 stroke on the market. I Have owned Johnson and mercury my whole life, but will never go back. I am able to top speed with this motor and than stop and start back trolling or put down riggers out in the big water. Can do it all with 1 motor. I could never of done that with my Johnson.

Date PurchasedMay 2008

Great product destroyed by appalling service.

Suzuki Cars have a well known reputation in Australia for being good vehicles, which are supported by a very poor service network. It is said that if you buy a new Suzuki car, you are best service it elsewhere as Suzuki will neglect each and every service until your car meets it's early demise.
Sad to say, Suzuki Marine are no different, in fact, one could argue that they make Suzuki Cars service dept, look like saints.
Having owned a brand new DF115, I was initially impressed by how quite the motor was, so quiet that at idol you could barely hear it at all.
Even when motoring along at 5000 to 6000 RPM, the engine was simply as smooth as silk and very powerful.

This was however short lived.

After it's first service with a Suzuki Authorised Dealer, the engine became
extremely noisy, losing power as well. It was returned to the Suzuki Authorised mechanic, who advised that there was nothing wrong and gave it back.
Soon after the motor died completely.

It took a whole 3 years to eventually fix the problem, going from Suzuki Authorised dealer, to Suzuki Authorised dealer and getting a rattling piece of gutless junk back every time.

While I do not blame the manufacture for this at all and acknowledge that the DF115 is the probably the best motor in its class, I would strongly recommend buyers avoid these motors in Australia, unless they are prepared to void the warranty and service them outside of the Suzuki Service Network.
Powerful and Quiet
Service Network are destructive and negligent

I have one of these motors in a 150HP. Had an electrical problem when it was brand new but its ok now.

2007 DF 115 -- What is the max 'safe' rpm when going a few miles steady? 3500 seems to be fine and 4000 ok, but not sure what the suggested is, or the redline for that matter.

Has anyone had trouble with salt build up and overheating?
I jut got mine back from the shop. Mechanic had to clean out all the cooling tubes and system. Said there was a lot of salt in the system. I always flush it for 5 minutes or more, but I've only owned it and cared for it the last 4 years so not sure about how it was cared for before.

CategoryOutboard Motors