Suzuki DR650SE

Suzuki DR650SE (page 2 of 3)

Pros

• Impressive 644cc engine capacity

• Good for long-distance rides

Cons

• Expensive for a LAMS Bike

• Seat is on the high side

4.3

Simply the best.

Cruising49

Cruising49Sydney, NSW

Ready for Adventure

What a versatile motorcycle. Have recently purchased a brand new 2015 DR650SE with the free Enduro pack that Suzuki presently has on offer. I have also had the optional lowering kit fitted to make it more user friendly for all our family. Quite a light bike for a 650cc which makes it easy to ride as a commuter and still very happy to cruise at the legal speed limit on open roads. Changes in the future - perhaps the seat which is a little hard and also a larger tank for longer trips out west. This bike is a keeper!

very impressed with the style and power

Love this ride. Easy to control on road off road. Highly recommended to anyone who wants a cheap easy to maintain motorcycle.

Kevin

Kevinmelbourne

Never ever again

One of the bike that I used without enjoying it. Uncomfortable highway riding, seat uncomfortable. Engine doesn't have the punch, power not enough for me. Being a 650 engine it should me more powerful. The bike is not stable on the road after 110kms starts wobbling. During small windy days found that the bike shakes. Not economical with the fuel consumption.
Good points: Good on country off road use. Suspensions good and the look of the bike.

Steveo56Sydney, NSW

this is the only motor cycle I've ever had that I'll buy again if it gets destroyed.

Steveo56

I forgot - it also has a B&B bash plate, B&B frame guards (where my boots would otherwise hit) and an Acerbis 21 litre tank. 400 kilometre fuel range is a safe minimum - 450 if necessary

Steveo56

So good i bought a second one

Bought my first dr 650 new in 2012 love it so much i talked the wife into getting her bike licence now have a 2014 with all the specs love these bikes

Not the bike for me

The DR650 has a reputation for endurance and reliability, this may be the case, but I found it to be uncomfortable with poor handling....the front mudgaurd wobbles at medium to high speed which was annoying. the tanks abit small... the seat is thin and hard. Its got really good power and torque... actually a bit much for me. I really didnt like thik bike.
looks goid

author57

author57Sydney, NSW

Best bang for buck on the market

Hillbilly

HillbillyAdelaide

18 month review

TODDY

TODDYYASS

Great Bike

blair

blairWollongong

Jetting with FMF powercore slip-on muffler

I recently purchased a 2012 DR650SE & was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how to set my carburettor for a FMF powercore 4 slip-on. I couldn't believe the weight difference & the power is phenomenal compared to stock. Its running slightly rich & if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
PS if your looking for one of the funnest most reliable bikes don't look any further than the DR650SE...
Happy riding people.
Reliable, good price, easy to maintain & such a fun bike on & off road
Suspension & stock muffler

Change of thinking

My last ride was a Honda VFR750. I bought the DR due to being forced back onto my 'L's' long story...and being a bit of a torque fiend and all the reviews said it was good bang for buck. To be honest I thought the DR was a little underpowered. This all changed today when I had my 1000 K service and included a staintune exhaust. This has transformed this bike. I was honestly ashamed of the bike before, now it sounds like a harley and has great road presence. Suzuki should make these things stock, wasn't cheap at around $1000 but now the DR has grown up and is a real blast to thump around on. Farkle up!
Fun Factor
Noise, My wife's Janome had a deeper growl.

gee
gee
wookie1

wookie1AU

DR650 Rider
DR650 Rider

I changed the rear sproket to a 45 tooth the stock 42 is the cause of this issue

Mcfear
Mcfear

You can stand them up without clutching up to 70km/h, I have the 06 2nd gear between 50-70 so yes revving a bit but let off and then twist on strait away and lean backwards up she comes

Vicki86

Vicki86Adelaide

Just keeps going!!!

Brett11
Brett11

Agree with vicki86 100 percent, I have owned 30 plus bikes including Harley's, I keep telling myself I should buy a bigger brand for image, but each time I ride the DR it does so much right,change seat and a few other items and it is even better

DR 650 09 MODEL A WINNER

Dr650se 2011

Best bike yet, my last bike was a Wr250 which is great on the dirt but always searching for another gear on the road. surprisingly this bike is great on the dirt, I love it, such a joy to ride, its my work bike and in the bush bike very happy!
Easy to ride
Seat is pretty hard

Getting it Right: A Superb, Purpose-Built Machine!

Good review ... thanks!

Papadopolus

PapadopolusIllawarra, NSW

Suzuki DR650SE

Good Bike, nice suspension and plenty of power for a LAMS bike.

The range on a tank is about 200km before you need to switch to reserve, that is city use, so more on the highway.

simple to service and modify, changed the barkbusters and put a renthal bar on.

overall a really nice bike, just needs a 6th gear, after 70km/h you are in 5th.
Reliable, cheap to run, easy to service and good over potholes
No 6th gear.

old FTasked

Can you fit a v storm 650 xt seat to a DR 650 se

Steve C.
Steve C.

not one similarity between those bikes. May as well try a seat from a Harley

Hilux1369

Hilux1369asked

Hi what type of oil do I use in my DR650SE 2010 mod?

Henry

I use Penrite HPR Diesel 15 15W/50 Semi Synth in all my bikes. The 10L drums are often on special at Supercheap too.

steve
steve

Depends on the climate/riding conditions and what sort of money you want to spend on oil. Check out manufacturer JASO or API oil spec for your bike and try googling the dr650.zenseeker webpage for a wealth of informative info. I have got nearly 50 thousand on mine and have had no problems using Motul 5100 and Penrite MC 4stroke 10W40 ester based oils. Have also used Penrite MC 10W40 full synthetic in it when it comes on special and roughly 5000km between oil changes.
DON'T use ordinary car engine oils with friction modifiers in them as they can cause havoc with the wet clutch in the DR and you should have no problems.

Gulf western syn-x 3000, 10w40 semi synthetic works fine in a dr650 , or any wet clutch motorcycle , there are no friction modifiers in it , and you can pick it up on special for as low as $15.00 for 5 lts .

Dude

Dudeasked

Can I be a little over the high mark on oil inspection window?

scott
scott

I personally wouldn't go over the high mark. But remember to have the bike perfectly straight to read it correctly. If it's only over by 1 or 2 mm, then it won't matter. But 5 or more mm over could cause issues with power and seals. Eventually causing leaks and oil burn. It will also create more fuel consumption as engine works harder in a higher than recommended level of oil. The same reason oil viscosity should be a manufacturer specifications.
So remember that it's actually ok to have a engine at halfway fill level. But check the oil 10 minutes after a ride. As need to know warm levels. Usually it's similar to cold but not always.
My DR650 was always at 3/4 or just below full line. I would lean it up against a wall to point it was about to fall off the wall.
Also I always added moreys or similar oil stabilizer. 25%. Supposed to help prevent wear on cold starts but I used it because hot weather here is over 40 Celsius.
Another great addition is to get oil temp gauge or temp gauge to the engine block. I was amazed at times how hot it seemed to get. Especially on 40 plus days with just air cooled engine! !
I loved the dr650. But sold it for more light weight bike because had too many river crossings by myself and picking it up was just getting too hard

Engine

The Suzuki DR650SE features a fairly powerful 644cc engine capacity, which is close to the maximum number allowed by LAMS - 650cc. If you’re looking for a powerful LAMS bike with fast acceleration, this Suzuki motorcycle is likely to be an appealing option.

Price

On the flipside, the $9, 490 starting price tag for the DR650SE is considerably higher than many other LAMS bikes that are designed exclusively for on-road use. If you do choose to buy this bike, it’s probably going to be more worth it to keep it as your regular bike, even after you've progressed from your learner permit and P’s to your full license.

Points of Praise

• The simple yet effectively built engine allows the DR650SE durability, and it endures well over long-distance trips, including in the Aussie outback
  • While the price seems expensive compared to on-road motorcycles, reviewers often cited it as cheap - compared to dirt bikes that are made solely to travel off-road.
  • This was described by reviewers as the best compromise between an on-road and off-road bike. If your riding is divided pretty evenly between urban areas and unsealed roads, this DR motorcycle is a winner.

Points to consider

• While the seat height can be lowered by 40mm from its original position, reviewers pointed out that this still may be a little high for shorter riders.
  • Many reviewers mentioned making modifications, however you likely won’t be able to do this as a LAMS rider.
CategoryTrail Bikes and Learner Approved Bikes