Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JLX

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JLX (2006-2008)

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Warranty issue.

Power steering started pulsing when steering wheel is turned.Suzuki technician agreed their was a problem. Tried to fix it and couldn't, service manager said nothing they can do. I rang Suzuki NZ and they had another dealer have a look and he said their was a problem. Took it to fix then rang me back that they all do this. I took it to another technician who also confirmed a problem. I have had 2 of this model GV in the past and they didn't have this steering problem. Suzuki NZ don't want to know or help, I think there may be a cover up. Have had a few new Suzuki vehicles over the years but now I will never have another Suzuki.
NZ Suzuki warranty support is very disappointing.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Drive4WD

No competition

It has zero competition..if you want a proper 4wd but don't have a lot to spend you can't beat it.

Mine is heavily modified and I've taken it everywhere, it chews up 4wd tracks and river crossings. It's great around town. Truly an all rounder for the money you spend, you can't beat it.

Slight issues why I've given 4 stars
- paint started to peel inside warranty period and Suzuki refuses to cover it (because I live in Darwin). Soon after my wife got into a bingle and it got repaired on old mates insurance. Now outside of warranty period loads of paint peeling.
- 4 speed auto isn't great on fuel, especially up north with a top speed of 130km
- had a very expensive motor warping / water leaking issue BUT I just did the Gibb and my aftermarket suspension had blown, so I don't really blame Suzuki, nevertheless I doubt a landcruiser would have the same issue.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Drive4WD

STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

I purchased my 2009 GV3 Grand Vitara brand new and for the first 7 years of ownership the car was great - it was reliable, fun to drive, and never missed a beat. Wanting the best run from my vehicle it has always been dealer serviced right on the service schedule, i've had all 4 recalls done, it's never been offroad, and it's always been looked after. BUT...at 108,00kms (November last year) the car started overheating after about 10 mins of driving. The second time this happened I took it back to the dealer who after some testing thought the radiator was blocked - so $900 later I drove out of the dealership with a shiny new radiator and feeling grateful the car was fixed. About 10km's away from the dealership the same issue occurred. As it was a Friday my car sat on the highway for 2 days until I could get it towed back to the dealership. In this time I did a bit of research and found a heap of unhappy Suzuki Customers with JB24 engines (which are in Vitara and Kishashi Vehicles) that had cracked engine blocks at about 100,000kms. Suzuki America have taken responsibility for the issue and are replacing affected vehicles under warranty. I advised the dealer, and lo and behold my engine block was cracked - I contacted Suzuki Australia who didn't want to know about it. The cost of repair was $9800. I didn't have a car for 6 months while I tried to get Suzuki Australia to take some responsibility for the issue, they eventually came back and said the issue was caused by the dealer putting green coolant into the engine at the 45,000km service rather than their blue longlife coolant. Fortunately for me the dealer claimed the repair on their insurance and I got my car back. I've now had the car back for 4 months and it was running great - until I took it in for the gear shift recall. When i picked my car up I noticed a puddle of water had started forming in the back rear passenger floor pan. Took the car to a panel beater and did pressure testing and all the seals passed. Dried the floor pan, and then drove around without my aircon on for three days - the carpet stayed dry. Turned the aircon on and the puddle reappeared. Took the car back to the dealer who have just called and advised the plastic tube that move condensation from the aircon to the base of the car has deteriorated and water is leaking into the floor pan. To fix the issue the whole dash has to be removed at a cost of $1200. The dealer has advised my car is not the only one they've seen with this problem, in fact they've had about 7 vitara's in the last few months for the same thing. So in short STAY AWAY FROM THESE VEHICLES unless you are a mechanic and are prepared to invest time and money into keeping it on the road. i've now spent $4000 on my car in the last 6 months not including the $9800 the dealer covered for the engine replacement. Suzuki Australia don't care about providing support or assistance to their customers or dealer network, instead they look for an easy cop out to push responsibility onto somebody else. I would stay away from Suzuki entirely.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

best after service and good 4x4

i had oil leak bue to muster seal in transmission case. i have been 4wd alot and have pumbed few times. but got fixed under warranty with good service also recall on car after finishing warranty is nice service from suziki. nice to see they are doing good after service. never had problems last 5 years. now all most 6 yaers and got recall service.

Date PurchasedSep 2010

best in class

i have a 2010 grand vitara v 6 3..2 for 6 years no problem, what you need to do it need to change oil every 5000 km and warm up your engine before you take it out, use good oil no cheap oil and your suzuki grand vitara last forever, 1 driving experience great on the snow .good traction ,the interior a bit small but ok for 5 persons the dashboard are at hand reach for everything the leg room great ,the fuel on local a bit high on highway better, the engine with a v6 so cool with the power, and so quiet when running I recommend any person wish to buy a SUV go for the V6 GRAND VITARA PETRO you will love it

TransmissionAutomatic
Still have this Suzuki and running with no problem it’s almost 8yrs never change no major parts,I did the brakes and tire only

Don't buy diesel

I bought a 2009 diesel grand vitara back at the end of November (2014). I have had nothing but problems with it. In the 7 or so months I have owned it, one mechanic has had it for a total of 5months & have only had it in my possession all of a month. It has had the injectors replace x2, the turbo replaced, the particulate filter replaced x2, the computer recalibrated, filters, sensors and other parts replaced and countless other issues that are only continuing to get worse with it now only going 50kms before breaking down. The mechanic is at a loss & doesn't know what else he can do to fix it as he has sent it off to different specialist places to try to get the issue resolved. In parts itself, it has cost over $5000. The diesels aren't even a Suzuki engine, they're fiats. Suzuki needs to manufacture their own Diesel engine & fix the numerous issues before I will buy another diesel made by them.

I do recommend the grand vitara, as they are nice to drive and get the job done with plenty of space, but just not a diesel.

awesome 2002 2.5l manual

Full chassis little 4x4. Not a soft roader like the new ones. Awesome little 4x4 goes real good for what it is. Not bad on fuel and I am terrible for economy. Little narrow bodied for bulky kids seats so three adults in the back would be a tight squeeze. Cheep to look after with timing chain not a firm believer in timing belts myself. Quite capable in the bush. With xrox and side sliders and a 40mm lift will be real good off road. Shift on the fly Auto hubs work smoothly. All in all a great car.

BadgeJLX

Good

I owned the 2door JLX Sports 2.0L & it was a good car & would buy another. It wasn't perfect as i had issues with windows not going up right & you had to hold the top corner to get them up. The motor used a litre oil every 10000kms not from leaking or burning it just normal running. The radiator seams to need cleaning out every 3 years to keep it running cool as a radiator flush isn't always enough for it. I warped the head on my motor even tho i never overheated the car & kept regular maintaince up to date. It cost $1600 to fix & then fuel ecomony got alittle worse after the work moving up to 9L p/100kms from 7-8L. I did alot towing of small tinnies & 4wdin' in this car & handled it with ease. I would buy another even with the small problems i had with it as the car just did what asked & never let down til it got over 250,000kms on it.
Easy to drive, Good on fuel, Great value & a reliable car.
Rear end can get abit loose in the wet when no weight in there tho it's a easy fix when you add a towbar & a set of good tyres. The motor seams to use 1 litre oil every 10000kms. The towbar is alittle low for big boats.

BadgeJLX
If you bougt this heap of junk new you should have given it back and ask for your money back.