Suzuki Grand Vitara

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005-2019) (page 2 of 6)

Also referred to as: Suzuki Grand Vitara 2018 and Suzuki Grand Vitara 2020. JB / JT.II (2012-2019) and JB / JT.I (2005-2011)

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

2007 GV Prestige

Had vehicle now for just over two years, and can't fault it. It has done over 200,000km's (petrol engine) and although it seems a little down on power for a V6, apparently this is the norm. Original parts are expensive but wreckers in Melbourne have the occasional GV through their workshop.

Use of vehicle is solely for personal use. Depending on the week on how often the vehicle gets used.

Haven't had serviced since I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced. Hasn't clocked up the necessary kilometres.

Purchased in May 2016 at Major Car Sales.

BoughtUsed
Year2007

Blue tooth Does not work

I have a brand new Suzuki grand vitara,that has steady got worse with bluetooth and Its becoming a major problem as i can not use the stereo to play music with or answer call safely in my car as the Stero picks and chooses what calls it will put through the stereo unit. Others don't get put through and just go back on the phone then you need to pick up the phone which is against the law. . i have been talking to a brad from cardiff suzuki and we have tried every combination of this to sort this issue out. i got a new phone i took the case off the phone, I tried in another susuki, we tried other phones in the car. I tried contacting suzuki customer service. I love that car and i owned a suzuki before this one. However it is now letting me down as i own my own business and need the blue tooth out of desperation i purchased the airspeeds from apple to see if that WOULD HELP ME .
AS I am starting to think that Suzuki is not going to.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

A little ripper

We flat tow our Suzuki Grand Vitara behind our Motorhome. She is a 2012 model & looks new. She has a practical easy-to-use transfer case. We have to tow with the reversing camera on as we cant feel her behind. Unhitched, she gets us to some great places. Never had a problem. She is a wiz in 4x4 and is economical. Recently we had a recall on the gear shaft. How thoughtful of Suzuki to think of us all. A company with integrity. Thanks Suzuki.

Purchased in August 2015 at Private .

BoughtUsed
Year2012

best after service and good 4x4

i had oil leak bue to muster seal in transmission case. i have been 4wd alot and have pumbed few times. but got fixed under warranty with good service also recall on car after finishing warranty is nice service from suziki. nice to see they are doing good after service. never had problems last 5 years. now all most 6 yaers and got recall service.

BadgeJLX
Date PurchasedSep 2010

best little suv i every had.

drise well.as a big person 186 140k i was very comfy in it. is ex of road cept up with the big suv if not better. ex in snow slush and mud. interior was ok little bit too plastic but the v6 auto made up for that hands down. not too bad on fuel trips 9l/100k town 12l/100k 2tonne towing is very nice too did it well.

Date PurchasedOct 2010

Perfect for our specific purpose.

We have been using a 2004 Toyota RAV4 for 13 years as our "dogmobile" & second car. By simply removing the rear seats and lifting the footwells with timber platforms the car gave a large, flat, low (spare wheel on back door & not under floor) area which our dogs had no trouble getting in & out of and gave plenty of room for them & luggage to travel. Replacing the aging car has been a problem as newer SUVs have the back load area far too high, especially for a large older dog to get in & out (even with our rear ramp) & if bought with all-wheel-drive (we do like to get off-road a bit at times) are only available in automatic which is an unnecessary expense with more problems in maintenance and loss of control and much of the fun of motoring is having full control of the car with manual gears. We now have a low mileage Suzuki Grand Vitara which is the closest thing to the RAV4. The rear seats do have to be unbolted to remove & it is slightly higher but suits our needs well & does have manual option (although now ceased for 2017) and has great off-road capability with low range selection. Have only had a short time but the basic design has been around with constant improvements for about 10 years and the lack of costly, potentially troublesome, and unnecessary electronic driver aids (I have not needed them in 55 years driving here & overseas) is also a plus for relatively trouble-free motoring into our twilight years.

Purchased in March 2017 for $30,000.00.

BoughtNew
Year2015

cracked engine block at 90 000 not able to be fixed or replaced poor

so i owned a prestige from new at 90 000 it overheated due to a faulty radiator cap and i stopped straight away, the engine was stuffed. cracked block. same crack same place as a number of other engines no warranty. no car. never buy one. the car drove ok, not great but it was ok. the engine power was a bit under what it needed to be.

Date PurchasedJun 2008

Great little 3 door. A real 4x4

Excellent visibility, good size inside (big) outside (smallish) and constant four wheel drive give great on and off road safety. I purchased a demo version which soon had a minor vibration in drive train and dealer fixed immediately at 15,000K service. Tail shaft was not originally installed to alignment marks. The only other and somewhat annoying fault I have had is the known issue with the air conditioning drain leaking water down the passenger side floor. The problem was noticed after 3 year warranty had expired so got it fixed locally. Auto elec fixed for $600 labour which included removal of dashboard and a/c, fit a short length of hose to stop drain leak and refit a/c and dashboard and re-gas the aircon. All working well again.
Nothing else has gone wrong at all and am coming up for 90,000ks service.
Soon after purchase fitted ARB steel bulbar, Old Man Emu suspension (lift about 30mm) and slightly bigger Pirelli ATR 235/70/16 tires instead of 225/70/16 highway tires. Huge improvement off road and still comfortable and quite on. Have also removed rear seats and installed a cargo barrier so all of rear space is fully usable for camping and general gear. Great little tourer but watch limited fuel range as petrol tank on 3 door model is only 55 litres.
Given bigger tires, bull bar etc I am happy with economy on highway 10 - 11 ltr / 100ks.
The 2.4 litre four is surprisingly powerful for this size car and even with only a 4 speed auto provides for smooth and capable touring or towing. Some long hills will mean dropping back to 3rd but engine is a happy to rev and doesn't loose power. I tow a camper trailer which weighs about 1,200Kg loaded and fuel use goes up to 12 - 14 litres / 100ks. This 3 door model has 130kg max ball weight and max tow of 1600kg so my camper is well within tow limit. As I had the OME suspension installed from almost new I have never had a problem with rear end sag when towing.
Excellent around town where small external size makes easy for parking.

Badge3 Door Navigator
Date PurchasedApr 2013

Awesome car.

We love our vitara. It's a smooth drive. We love the built in interactive display for Bluetooth, satalite navigation and access music! The seats are comfortable and we love that we can fold the back seats down, then fold them up against the front seats to create more room for adventures! We love loading our mountain bikes in the back & finding a new area to explore! This car has everything you would expect! Heaps of legroom, heaps of storage space, cruise control, radio, CD, sat Nav, Bluetooth, hands free etc. Awesome speakers to cruise to your favourite tunes!

BadgeUrban Navigator
Date PurchasedFeb 2013

2016 Grand Vitara Sport - Absolutely love it!

Bought a 2016 Grand Vitara Sport (automatic, petrol, 5 door) in South Australia. As of Sept 217 has about 20K on the clock and not a single problem, I think mainly due to Suzuki's reputation for reliability. Great all rounder, good for the usual school and supermarket run and shines in the occasional arvo trip outside the bitumen. Holds it's own against bigger 4WDs twice it's price. Simple to operate, no auto stop start nonsense and other unnecessary technology. Absolutely love it!

Before I bought my beloved GV, I was influenced by these motoring articles, see link below as they are interesting reads:

Btw I have a few minor complaints:
1. More thirsty compared to popular soft roaders, not bad if compared to other real 4WDs (the GV is a real 4WD with low range). It doesn't help that I have a heavy foot ( I average about 15 li/100 km ), but bear in mind that the GV has constant 4WD and I bought this vehicle knowing well that fuel consumption is not one of it's strong points. And I don't like diesels because they have long term lung health implications and you have to change to alpine diesel if you're going to places like Snowy Mountains.
2. I wish there was an extra gear, especially when you are driving at 110km in the highway, have 4 adults, in cruise control, and the engine is at 4000 rpm.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Terrible, expensive mistake. Don't buy the diesel!!!!

I loved this car and had no problems (apart from the expensive services that you can't do yourself) until 150,000kms and then the problems were endless and freaking expensive!!! Terrible for a 5 year old car!

It cost me $6500 in repairs and that is doing it cheap, with second hand parts and hubby doing some of the repairs.

The DPF caused endless dramas. I was quoted $9800 to fix it. I ended up getting the DPF cleaned for about $1200. And that still didn't fix the problems.
Random sensors kept going off and putting it into limp home mode. Everytime i drove it something would happen to it.

The mechanic said the only way to fix it was to keep fixing everything that showed up on the computer.

The problem is, that every time something was fixed the car had to be half dismantled. And the parts are horrendously expensive.

Also, nobody, even the Suzuki mechanics had any idea how to fix it, because there aren't that many of them.

I ended up hating the car, although my mechanic probably hated it more.

Had to sell it cheaply because it was so unreliable.

BadgeJBMY09
Date PurchasedOct 2011

Please do not buy!

It's comfy, nice to drive and that's where it ends.

I'm one of those suckers that have the J24B engine (2.4L petrol). Nice little unit that's prone to head cracking between moulding ports. It's taken me 4.5 years (and way too many mechanics) to figure out why it's been wanting coolant topped up every month.

Basically I have that fault (Can I attach photo's here, I have one of a nice creamy coffee substance on the inside of my oil cap!).

I'm going to raise hell with this one, even though I have a nice new Unbreakable lined up for pick up in a few days, It's called a dump & run!

Date PurchasedApr 2012

An expensive throw away car

Bought a 2006 with less than 180, 000 kms on it, after a month of driving, started making a knocking noise in the motor. Was told it was a timing chain and quoted $3000 to fix it. Got rid of it and bought a 2007 trecker. That's just clocked 80, 000 and now has a big end bearing on the way out. I have owned seven suzuki 4wds, five of them pre 2000, and couldn't fault them. These last two are absolute over priced rubbish.

BadgeTrekker

perfect tough little car

i have the 3 door version of the grand vitara. i have 2 kids and a wife. we all manage to pack in this little beast every weekend. we actually prefer using this car, as its much more cheaper to run then our mercedes ml350 (2014). we save that car when we need to carry large items but the rest if the time we use the little vitara as it comes with capped price servicing, when u compare the servicing cost to a merc ml350 u will appreciate this.

Badge3 Door Navigator

French Diesel Engine

The Diesel Grand Vitara has a lot going for it conceptually. Good size, comfortable, capable off road but an unfortunate non Japanese choice in engines. I have had injector, and drive problems costing several thousands. While it's running gear is off road capable I wouldn't venture far from help mechanically with this poor choice of diesel motor by Suzuki.

TransmissionManual
Me again retracting my criticism of the Renault Diesel injectors. I foolishly filled up with petrol not diesel. The injector engine warning worked well. Sorry Suzuki.

Like a bad sequel this one is disappointing

Soft rear springs means towing anything shines low beams into eyes of drivers. I've installed airbags into back springs to address this. Now the car squeeks everywhere we go.
Brakes need to be more powerful, barely pulls up when towing. 2006 model didn't have this issue. Rear door still hits trailer when attached. The number plate is still obscured when tow ball attached meaning it needs to come off every time. The 2.4Lt auto insufficient for towing. The poor car revs its guts out when hitting a hill. The cruise control is still dodgy and if you don't watch it you'll be 10 to 15 over the limit at times.
The rear door used to lock at certain points of opening. Now it is fully open or closed. So in a carpark you need to be very careful.
The rear of the car is not meant for offroad work with alteration needed to avoid damage. 2006 model was made for offroad work with good design and protective plates.
Car good if not towing anything.
I compare the 2015 model to the 2006 model.

2001 Diesel - mixed bag

Owned a 2001 Grand Vitara Diesel for the last 2 years and 3 months. Had unfortunately an early exit in an accident: car rolled and is a write off - driver had no scratch. Safety (based on this one data point) is great!
Driving: economical (looking at fuel consumption, not at the repair bill) and I liked the power characteristic of the diesel ... no complaints at all
Off road ... 4wd was occasionally useful on the beach and on roads unsuitable for 2wd - and it never let us down, However ... I am neither an off road fanatic nor specialist ... don't take this alone as recommendation.
Reliability: Unfortunately one of the less desirable points: Owned the car between (roughly) 205k and 235k (km) and had to replace various pullies and belt tensioners (making undue noises), alternator gave up and so did the fuel pump. Repair cost per "event": typically $1000 to $2000. - I invested in 2 years more than $4600 into repairs and service. In addition had the car problems with the engine warning light - it went on frequently and for various reasons, but never when something serious was wrong. Time and money waster (driving into the workshop to learn that nothing is wrong).
Workshop: friendly and supportive, but always complaining about the Diesel engine (originating from Peugeot, not Suzuki), Maybe they had a point?

Badge5 door diesel

Top Value Vehicle

Excellent value car with enough kit to do the job(s) without "electronic overload".
Constant 4WD a big plus vs "on demand" type.
Terrific performance within it's class. Fuel a little heavy at 11.0 litres/100km but acceptable for the go.
Gearbox works well but could learn from Mitsubishi (Super Select). A bit fidgety in cruise control mode.
Ride is good compromise for type, steering a little light, brakes excellent.
Rear space is adequate although a few more "cubby holes" would be good.
Reliability over 55,000k hasn't been an issue, just as well 'cos I'm underwhelmed by Suzuki's warranty attitude.
Only hassle is the confounding door security system. Guess it was for USA & RSA where it may be needed more.
Overall, I am, so far, very happy with the purchase and it compares well in value and usability to much more expensive cars I have owned.

best in class

i have a 2010 grand vitara v 6 3..2 for 6 years no problem, what you need to do it need to change oil every 5000 km and warm up your engine before you take it out, use good oil no cheap oil and your suzuki grand vitara last forever, 1 driving experience great on the snow .good traction ,the interior a bit small but ok for 5 persons the dashboard are at hand reach for everything the leg room great ,the fuel on local a bit high on highway better, the engine with a v6 so cool with the power, and so quiet when running I recommend any person wish to buy a SUV go for the V6 GRAND VITARA PETRO you will love it

BadgeJLX
TransmissionAutomatic
Still have this Suzuki and running with no problem it’s almost 8yrs never change no major parts,I did the brakes and tire only

2006 2.7Lt V6 143KW Trekker Pack Manual has been Excellent! 10 years old now

Purchased new, now at 90,000 km. Clutch replaced at 85,000 for $1300 including parts + white plastic part on a roller off the front of the engine cost $220 including parts which affected the power steering but is all good now.
Engine has been bullet proof, great torque for towing boats or caravan and 4WDing. Very quick off the lights!! Insanely good off-road with very high power to weight ratio and 4L 4H and AWD gearbox.
Seats would be better if they folded flat which is annoying.
Its been a great car. Has been hammered and the shockers all still pass the test but one requires replacement soon.
There isn't another car in this class with high power (143kW) to weight ratio, low range gearbox in an SUV sized vehicle. Its easier to park than a commodore or falcon as it fits into tighter parks.
Has stereo and cruise control on the steering wheel and a great stereo which makes long drives very comfortable.
The engine and gearbox combination I can't see in any other 4wd currently so can't see any reason to upgrade.

BadgeTrekker

When should the timing belt be replaced in a 1.9 lt diesel

When should the timing belt be changed on a Suzuki GV 1.9 lt diesel engine

I have a grand vitara 07 manual petrol. It was overheating and has had a new: Thermostat Water pump Radiator Cylinder Head/bolts and gaskets and now it still overheats not around town but in the highway after a while. Diagnosis throws nothing - could this be electrical as there is no way it could be overheating with all this work. The gauge goes up to the red but then down back to normal within seconds, other times longer. Our mechanic says it must be electrical now. It has also had a new temp gauge put it.

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Sport Automatic (2011-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 3 Door Navigator Manual (2014-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 3 Door Navigator Automatic (2014-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I (No Badge) (2005-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JLX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Trekker (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige (2006-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige Trekker (2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Adventure (2010)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I 100th Anniversary (2009)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I LE (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Sport (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Urban (2010-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II (No Badge) (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Sport Manual (2011-2018)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II LE (2012)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Urban Navigator (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Urban (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Luxury (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Prestige (2012-2016)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 5 Door Navigator (2014-2018)
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $33,990$28,990$28,990$33,990
TransmissionAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy16" Steel17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
Doors533555555
Seats544555555
Fuel Consumption9.9 L/100km8.8 L/100km9.6 L/100km8.9 L/100km9.5 L/100km9.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L55 L55 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L
Max Power122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 4000rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
  • Reversing Camera
  • Reversing Camera
Extra Features
  • USB Port
  • USB Port
Ground Clearance200 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,700 kg1,600 kg1,600 kg1,850 kg1,850 kg1,700 kg1,700 kg1,700 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg550 kg550 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2011Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2005Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2008Jan 2010Jan 2009Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2010Jan 2012Jan 2011Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2014
Discontinuation dateDec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2010Dec 2009Dec 2011Dec 2011Dec 2011Dec 2014Dec 2018Dec 2012Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2016Dec 2018