Suzuki GSX-R750

Suzuki GSX-R750

See the Best Super Sport Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Swiss army knife of a bike

I'm recently new to riding, have ridden a Yamaha MT07 Lams (mushy suspension) and recently my brother's Aprilia RSV4RF (race bike position and performance). I did a lot of research, sat on a heap of bikes and settled on the Gixxer 750 2015 model in the triton blue race livery.
Seriously good bike.
First impressions, so nice to ride, suspension is adjustable and didn't take long to get a nice front end feel. Just a million miles better than that MT07 stock job. Performance wise, it is pretty sedate until you get about 5,000 rpm on the tacho, which had me confused a bit as the MT had more torque low down and felt quicker on the street as a result. However once you hit 5,000rpm things get interesting which is the mid-range everyone talks about. The world starts coming at you noticeably quicker. The intake howl right underneath you is screaming, but you've got to keep ringing its neck until it gets to 9,000 and then the holy crap moment occurs. It has another power band that is just insane.
I'd ridden mine a few times on the road changing around 4-5K due to the intake howl, then took it on track. I took two sessions to adjust my hearing to the engine sound to get the gear changes right. You have to literally get it to scream its head off and then you feel the power band. I had one moment where i must have slipped a bit and gave it a bit more than I was intending coming out of a corner and the bike just threw me backwards. I was falling off it was accelerating that fast. The gearbox is regarded as one of, if not the best on a sportsbike according to a guy my bro knows who races in the American pro-stock series. I have no problems with the gearbox, easy shifting, adjustable footpeg (people complain about this but its a 30s job to adjust right where you want it).
Once you get back on the road, you can ride it nicely around in the low-mid range and its very manageable. But you know what its capable of and that's the problem. Once you've tracked this bike it is so hard to just dawdle around on the street on it again.
It also has a good seating position. I'm nearly 6'2 and the Kawasaki and Suzuki cockpits fit me best. Although its a 600 frame, the seating position I can get comfortable in and its nowhere near as aggressive as the R1 or the Aprilia in terms of rearset height and load on your front wrists. So you can ride this thing for a while without really getting tired or cramped.
For me, I love the look of new retro bikes like the Z900RS and Thruxton and I might get on one day. But as my brother said, sportsbikes have the best brakes, suspension, lack of weight and geometry and I agree. The only changes I did make prior to the track day were to install front end steel braided brake lines and they worked well on track. I'm happy with the Yoshi exhaust look, I just don't see the point in spending more money to get rid of the cat via a mid-pipe and then have to get it tuned or install a power commander. Its got enough grunt for me as is and as a road proposition, far too much. You don't have to change gears to get booked on any Australian road. If you hit the power band at 9K in second you'd be doing over 130. I just don't understand 1000's as street bikes. Track, even then you need a track where you can open it up, ie nothing in Qld where I live.
This Gixxer in the MotoGP livery looks mint, goes awesome on street and track given the duality of its power delivery, is nice to turn in and inspires confidence. Its easy to get comfortable on and is reliable. Its just good at everything I wanted and whilst not retro, it still looks the business. I have a Yoshi street slip-on which isn't loud, but when you ride this thing most of the sound is in the intake howl which you are sitting over so you get the drama from that gutteral metallic rasp that is unique to Suzuki.
If I had my time over again I would buy this bike again and again. Its just a testament to Japanese evolutionary engineering, fast, reliable, lightweight, good riding position and confidence inspiring. What else do you want in a bike?

Purchased in August 2018 for $10,500.00.

Noise Level
Fuel Efficiency
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

I have a 2010 Model and love it. Weapon of a bike.

Perfect balance of a bike.

On the track the 1000cc bikes only really start to pull away from you at around 130. Weapon of a bike. The only thing lacking on my model is the rear suspension is a bit wanting, it is not very sensitive to adjustments.

Do yourself a favour and put a full titanium system on it, have it tuned a little rich, add K&N air filter, braided brake lines, paint it matt black, carbon fibre front and rear mud guards and put a 520 chain conversion on it. This will turn it into an animal of a bike.

Date PurchasedApr 2012

Best of Both Worlds (2009)

Handles like a 600 and can accelerate on top like a litre bike (well almost).

Really good handling and easy to dial-in suspension but over-all it can perform better with a front brake upgrade.

Like all other sports bike - its just too much power to only ride it on public roads. Difficult to stay under the speed limit. So gave up riding on the road on this bike. Decided to keep it as a track focused toy.

On the track you don't need need that much to do; nice set of race glass, proper rear-sets, steel braided brake lines and a set of track bias tyres. If you start getting fast and want to perhaps to a bit of racing, a set of springs may be needed and some work done by a pro-suspension tuner. But everything else is just bling as far as I'm concerned. need more power...get a thou!

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Amazing bike

An amazing bike for every day use, the upgraded rectifier allows this bike to be more reliable compared to its older models. I would say the only downside of this model is that it tends to overheat quicker but you don't seem to notice it as much after riding for so long.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Great over all package L6 GSXR 750

I purchased a 2016 gsxr 750 brand new in September last year and what a bike it has turned out to be.

COST $14500. Compare that to a similar super sport.

I have the GP blue livery and it looks fantastic.

Bullet proof design but has not had any significant updates since 2011.

A couple of kilos heavier than the GSXR 600 with 128BHP, it's a light bike that handles like a 600 but has so much power and torque even at 4000 RPM. The inline 4 engine is nicely balanced motor that red lines at 14.5 RPM.

The suspension package is top notch and has a lot of adjustability. The stock suspension set up was harsh and set up more for the track.

Gear box is as smooth as butter.

Brakes are so responsive but does not have ABS.

140Km in first gear alone, capable of 300km.

Battle Axe BT16 Tires are OK for street riding and after 4000km have plenty of life left.

Has two rider modes, A & B, A being full power and B being similar power to a GSXR 600.

Lacking ABS, traction control and fuel gauge but at $14500.00, it's still a good deal.

Would I buy another one... You bet.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fast, comfortable, inexpensive

While perhaps getting a bit long in the tooth now compared to other manufacturers bikes, the GSXR is still a great sport bike. I test rode a brand new R1 and 899 Panigale before, and found the Suzuki much more comfortable while handling just as well.
Doesn't quite have the same power as the other two but still has more than you can use on public roads.
I also rode a GSXR 600 which was good but lacked mid-range punch. The 750 overcomes that with the perfect balance of power across the lower rev range and still has handling like a 600.
The 750 still screams at higher rpms like the 600, but has plenty of pull almost like a litre bike.
I really wanted a 2015 R1 but at $10k more than the GSXR750 I didn't see the value.
I'm able to ride this bike for a few hours without getting sore, something I've never managed before on a sports bike.
The only downside of these bikes in my opinion are the lack of electronic goodies like abs and traction control. Maybe next years model will have those.