Suzuki V-Strom 650

Suzuki V-Strom 650 (page 2 of 2)

• Mileage 11,500 km (2)
  • Gear Shifting
  • Handling
  • Suspension

Mark T

Plain Jane with a great personality.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Mark T

Recently upgrade to the 2012 ABS model of Vstrom 650. Even better, smoother and fun to ride.

pipingmad

pipingmadAU

2006 model, suffers from the vstrom surging

RichardCoonabarabran

Test ride on v strom 650 cc

I don't own v strom , l have an 800cc Suzuki cruiser 2008 model , looking to buy a v strom 650 or 1000 .I have tried th e m both from local dealer , l think the 650 will be quick enough for me ,looks good have good rep , is a bit tall for me as l am only 5.10 but this looks good as a replacement for the cruiser. Will look for someone to buy my cruised as the dealer is not keen to trade .Why ? Bike perfect with 17000 ks but that's the way dealers are

Richard

Have now purchased a 2014 vstrom 650cc, very pleased with its performance should have bought one years ago.Still got the cruiser for sale.

Cruiser sold

Richard

Had the vstrom for 6 months or more , would wish to have purchased it sooner , good all round bike

Dono

DonoHunter Region, NSW

Best allrounder, great bike.

Jules

JulesMelbourne

Probably Best Bike Out There

pwo128

pwo128NT, 820

Simply Fabulous Allrounder bike!

Date PurchasedAug 2015
Lotus

LotusMelbourne

Fast, Safe and Responsive!

Maybe that should be safe, responsive and fast! Returning to riding after 25 year break and been riding the 2012 DL650A V-Strom for 12 months now - hugely reliable, nimble in city traffic and smooth on country roads best bike I've ever owned.

45 years riding, 'Strom is a great bike!

On my third 'Strom, put over 180 000 kms, 50 000 off pavement, from Labardor, Canada to Honduras, Central America - twice. Not one problem. I've owned BMW's and other bikes. The DL 650 isn't a perfect bike, but it's the perfect bike for me. I'd also add that every model improvement addressed the minor issues with the model before - and the new 2018 model seems to be the best of all . . .

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Buzz

Buzz

who needs a beemer?

97,000km mostly on dirt and still going strong. Front sprocket one tooth bigger is perfect for me. I give it a hard time every time. Replaced sprocket seal due to dirt riding. Got some dirty juice and had to dismantle fuel pump to flush it out. Did it myself, carefully! Not planning to replace it anytime soon as engine still quiet and doesn't use oil. Half price of anything comparable, but I haven't been passed by one yet!

Franks

FranksBrisbane

It's a keeper

650 v-strom

Great for road use, handles well, good on fuel, comfortable on long trips, plenty of power for the size. I found the 650 was a better ride than the 1000..
Bad pionts, ABS in my opinion is dangerous on dirt or gravel roads and the rims are increadably soft. I wrote both back and front rims off by simply riding down a gravel road (bike hasn't even done 1000klm's) Suzuki also don't like paying up for waranties. Other than that the bike is a great ride.
comfort, fuel economy,
ABS brakes, rims, Sukuki waranty claims

mort
mort

I have 15000 ks on a 2012 with over 5000 of that on gravel no problems at all.

Brockie

I also ride my V-Strom on dirt and gravel whenever I can and have had no problems with dented rims. Low tyre pressures perhaps?

Michael Martin
Michael Martin

I don't know what this guy is on about regarding the rims. I've done 38k with about half of that on some pretty darn rough back country gravel riding 2 up with absolutely no problems with rims or anything else. Great great bike, love it!

Alfy12

Alfy12Wagga Wagga

Great bike for all occasions

Had my wee storm since new in 2007. It has done it all from commuting, touring and the bush. Fuel economy is excellent and riding position good. I have added crash bars, hand protection and heated gripes. Mine has just hit 40,000 kms with no mechanical or electrical issues.

I changed the windscreen for a smaller unit to reduce buffeting and increased the front sprocket by one tooth. The bike is so good that I can't bring myself to upgrade. I have dropped it in the bush a couple of times at low speed with no problems.
Price, reliable, parts availability.
Windscreen buffeting

A truly Great Bike

I have now done 7000ks on my 2012 vstrom 650 including more the 600ks in a day more than once. I have had many large touring bikes over the last 47 years including a Goldwing and the previous model vstrom 1000 and I can say with authority the 2012 650 vstrom is a very special machine.
Bullet proof handling comfort and reliability.

Joe VH
Joe VH

600klm into my 2012 650 and early impressions reflect this. It's so easy to ride!

What a great bike

Got my 2012 model at a bargain price and couldnt believe my luck ... ive been in the biking scene forever and had hundreds of bikes and this is "the" best all round bike ive ever had [ it really is that good ] it handles , comfortable [ one and two up ] smooth with no vibes, excellent on fuel, ..went touring around norther france and then camping up scotland ..it just did everything with ease ...i love it ..

Services every 3,500mls is a pain

PaulTSYDNEY

One great bike!

One great bike! I have bought the 2008 model with ABS. Its very economical, seating position is very comfortable. I have put 62,000Km in 2 years, riding from sunny days to freezing cold thunderstorm, never let me down. The ABS kicks in when needed, giving some feedback to your left foot (rear brake) and generally you can just feel it acting, this is good as it gives you a sense of how much to modulate braking. It is incredibly stable, I have hit pot holes while leaning on a corner and it just kept going, as if nothing had happened.
Just about everything.
The screen could be a little bit better, mounting get noisy after a while.

Rod Rider
Rod Rider

Left foot , rear brake? You sure?

PaulT

Ooops! it is of course right foot! Must have feet dyslexia...

Cruising49

Cruising49Sydney, NSW

I purchased a non abs model new in 2008 and have been completely happy with the bikes performance. Have toured throughout NSW and it is a hoot on Thunderbolts Way with its excellent ground clearance in corners and strong engine. The bike has been fitted with Hepco and Becker engine bars and centre stand, together with a givi top box and suzuki hand guards to to improve touring performance. Highly recommended if you cannot afford a BMW GS1200.
Fabulous engine, very comfortable riding position, economical and heap of accessories available to enhance touring
Should come with a centre stand and have found access to airfilter is difficult.

Justdrew

Justdrew

Good

Love my bike and owned it for 18 months now and done 30,000km on it.If i had to replace it I would struggle to pick anything else. I run Michelin Road Pilot 2 tyres on mine and still travel dirt roads. I also commute 100km every day I have to go into the office with the bike and it has never missed a beat. Got nearly 25,000km out of last back tyre.
Great all round bike.cheap to run fun to ride anywhere. Good riding position. Very good screen when set up properly. Great headlights for night riding.
Seat is to wide, very top heavy they should take a hint from BMW and put the tank under the seat. Lots of plastic very easily damaged. Screen could be a hole lot easier to adjust with some thought from Suzuki

Great bike I have a 07 and done over 20,000 klm and love the bike more and more every day.Have just completed a 3500klm trip to Townsville and back and did some off road. I could not fault the Vstrom. It is a fantastic all round bike.
Great performance, cornering and touring capability. fuel range.
not much - could be better off road

Jack casked

I need help guys I own a 650xt 2018 and my misses finds the passenger seat very uncomfortable, I don’t mind my seat so what are the options what have you guys done, I was considering getting a passenger air hawk cushion or a complete touring seat which won’t be cheap or get my standard seat redone, and if none of those work maybe just change the misses.

paracin

I'm happy with the classic Aussie solution: sheepskin.

Alan M.asked

What is the ABS system like on dirt roads and steep inclines. Thanks Al.

Nick
Nick

Not bad on dirt roads, its not intrusive and you don't really notice the ABS. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for steep inclines when going downhill on gravel. I have had a couple of scares on gravel which has caused me to lose confidence when descending and I tend to be a bit more cautious these days - probably a good thing. The bike is a 2017 XT version fitted with Shinko 805's which are great for gravel though can be slippery in wet and smooth conditions. .. Nick

Alan M.

Thanks for that Nick, I am using Heidenau Scouts on my F650 GS which are brilliant on both surfaces. I need to upgrade my bike but don't like the idea of ABS on our mountain dirt roads. Someone has suggested, tongue in cheek, that I would only need to remove the ABS fuse. Food for thought. cheers Al.

Willberforce
Willberforce

I have had issues on steeper gravel roads once and so I made the modification found on vstrom.info website. https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8792.0.html
It took about 2-3 hours to do it properly and mount a handlebar switch. The cost was about $10 all up. I can switch on/off on the fly at any speed. The ABS light will come on when switched off and go off when switched back on. It works perfectly. I found that placing the switch on the left side of the handlebar worked best as your left hand is generally freer than right hand to operate the switch on the go.
I'm using Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres. They are really a great tire for the V-Strom, grippy on road and pretty damn good on gravel inspiring confidence. Not fantastic on soft sand though.

Jack casked

I am looking at getting a brand Strom 650xt just need to know can I cruise at 110ks 2 up for long distances I wheigh 90kgs and my girlfriend is around 55kgs

Jason H
Jason H

Yes very much so I have the lams bike and can do 160 km on the track.
The other thing is they go round corners very well.

paracin

I am 54 years old and prefer comfort. The bike is fantastic for one up, I do 900-1200km a day, no problem. It could do two up but you'd probably get sick of noise and vibrations. Get a 1000 V-Strom. Get some cruise control device as well.

Jack c

Get an answer from our members and Suzuki representatives