Taubmans Water Based Enamel Gloss

• Finish Quality
  • Longevity
  • Ease of Application

Pam CarrGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Can't understand some of the review

I have used this paint on doors, trims, kitchen cupboard doors and even on a tiled splashback in a bathroom and the paint lasted for years and is still going. I cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this product.

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted
Vessi

VessiSydney Surrounds, NSW

Tacky, patchy, and just awful!

The worse paint I have ever used in 30 years of painting.
I have painted 7 houses... nope just nope!
Patchy, sticky, tacky results.
Dries chalky with a gloss finish, want my money back!

Scott

ScottHunter Region, NSW

Should not be able to sell this crappy product.

Took the product back the first time as I thought it was faulty. When I replaced the product I realised it was just poor quality. The paint has a consistency of clag glue and did not cover at all well.

Purchased in July 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$70.00.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Taubmans Water Based Enamel Gloss compares to other Paints & Varnishes

SweetPea

SweetPeaSouthwest, VIC

Just don’t..

This product has made me question my own ability to paint after decades of satisfying results. After applying 3 coats to a flat panelled door and allowing 2 days between each coat, I am left with a thick gluggy mess which will have to be completely sanded back. The closest thing to striped paint I ever hope to encounter.

Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka

The closest I have found to an oil based enamel

Purchased in January 2020.

Scaldis

ScaldisHobart, TAS

Worst paint ever

This review is for for the neutral base paint in gloss. I used a yellow tint. You can't use this paint on vertical surfaces. Even very thin layers run just before setting. This paint has very little pigment (and yes I did stir it before use). For a general 2-3 layer appearance, you need to put on 6 coats. So, this paint needs twice as many coats as other products, and because of its runniness will have a bad finish unless you only paint horizontal surfaces.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$90.00.

dcp

dcpPerth, WA

Doesn't perform as described on info sheet. Terrible experience

I used for a commercial project according to instructions because of the need for a low odour fast drying product. Applied according to instructions, several thin coats with ample drying time in between. Tin advertises a fast drying paint -- was marking up with fingerprints and scuffing days after final coat applied. Had to completely strip paint and start again. 4 days lost. Complained to Taubmans, extremely disappointed with response. No niceties, Was told it takes a week to cure -- nowhere does it state this on the tin or the info sheet to be found online.
Don't believe the hype about the product. Had they simply offered to refund the unused tin I wouldn't have bothered writing the review.

Purchased in August 2019 at bunnings for A$91.00.

So impressed

I found this paint amazing. Coverage is excellent. I water it down slightly as it is a thicker paint but I’d rather buy thicker paint and water it down slightly than pay for thin watered down paint. I found two coats gave a beautiful finish and covered evenly. I can’t understand some of these reviews as it’s honestly a paint that has impressed me so much I’ve considered writing to Taubmans to tell them (which I never do). I also wrap my brushes immediately in glad wrap if not completing my painting straight away and haven’t had any problems at all with my brushes. I used the product with a roller on cupboard doors and brushes on skirting and all look fantastic.

Angela03

Angela03Sydney, NSW

Not worth its money

Bought this paint from Bunnings as suggested by a salesperson in store .the paint is very thick, when used the paint brush it left the streak marks , tried roller paint being thick it was difficult.
Won’t advise anyone to use this paint

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Emily D.

Emily D.Canberra 2600, ACT

Sufficient.

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$40.00.

Ease of Application

First time use, I'm impressed....

Ron. K

Ron. K

Pretty good results

Used it over mdf cupboards, drawers and doors in kitchen. Correct priming and sanding is required to get the best finish. Works well of the brush and flows adequately off a trim roller. Looks good and sets nice and hard... No problems....

Steve

SteveMiami Gold Coast

Taubmans Ultimate

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Haz

HazSouth East Queensland, QLD

Poor finish

I wish I had read reviews before I spent $77 on 4 litres. It applies like its got no substance to the paint and goes on patchy and uneven. This was using short nap roller and paint brush. Poor coverage meant 3 top coats trying to get a decent finish. A lot of hours of wasted labour. I have always been happy with Taubman's low sheen and ceiling paint but give the gloss a big miss.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Ultimate Enamel is fickle

Ultimate Alkyd Enamel is great when sprayed but don't bother using it with brush and rollers. Destroys brushes as well if you don't wash regularly whilst painting. As a painting contractor, I'm sticking to Dulux AquaEnamel, with all its faults, for the time being. If Taubmans somehow makes this product more friendly to brush and roll application, I would consider using again because it does give a nice sheen.

Cheers.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

tomfoto

tomfoto

Great product

Check you tube first so that the paint is applied correctly. I used the alkaloid paint and had no problems .
Overall a very good product. Use a foam roller then brush lightly with a 6 inch brush. You can also use a sponge to slightly moisten the surface before painting.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Ace Mc coolBrisbane

Fantastic finish and easy to work with water based gloss

I have used acylic glosses years ago and was unhappy with the results- quick drying and leaving brush marks. The oil gloss gives great results but is so so messy.
People had said that water based gloss has come a long way so I decided to give the Taubmans Endure doors and trim paint a go and was pleasently surprised at how smoothly and easily it went on. Granted the gloss level is not as good as an oil based gloss but clean up was so much better.
I will have to wait and see how it holds up over time.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Wish I researched, instead of believing the Bunnings guy

Date PurchasedJan 2017
David

DavidSouthwest, VIC

So many people can't be wrong.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Taubmans Ultimate Enamel Alkyd Based Best water based enamel I have ever used.

Can not understand why some low rating reviews have been said about this product, but having used it for a while now I would never go back to oil enamels. It wins hands down on the comparable Dulux aqua enamel. Using good quality brushes and rollers the product just goes on with ease and then flattens out smooth. Love it for windows, architraves and skirtings.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
See all Taubmans Water Based Enamel reviews

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

How to do recoating

Pam Carr

What are you re coating? If you are painting over oil based paint then you will need to undercoat with something like taubmans 123. If painting over water base paint then give it a light sand

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans

Hi Karunathilaka,

Thank your for choosing Taubmans Water Based Enamel for your painting project.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're recoating?

All the best,
Taubmans Team

Jan

Janasked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

When painting interior doors with gloss paint can you thin paint with water and how do you get a good finish?

Shrek
Shrek

When I had so much trouble with applying the paint evenly, a guy at Taubmans said that I could use a small amount of water to thin it, though I can't remember the amount.
I ended up using a foam roller on the doors and a brush on the frames. I had to work quickly to roll the paint so that it didn't create overlay patches. It took several rolls over each area to work it into an even spread and then a very light roll over top to smooth it off. I preferred to have an even ripple effect from the roller than streaks from the brush.

Hi Jan,
I found the paint a good consistency for painting my trim and seemed to have lots of time to work the paint. I think I would use that Flowtrol paint thinner for acrylic paint if I was thinning it. This product should give you extra working time. Doors are so hard to do. I only used the paint for trim so did not have to work on a large area.. Best of luck with your painting.

Get an answer from our members and Taubmans representatives

Compare all 2 Taubmans Water Based Enamel