Taubmans Water Based Enamel

5 questions from our users

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel

Do we need any sanding in between Coatings?

Allister W
Allister W

You don’t need to but considering how runny it is you may get drips that need sanding.

Pam Carr

Just lightly is always good between coats. I don't think it's runny

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans

Hi Karunathilaka,

If the can directions have been followed, sanding between coats is typically only required to smooth out any visual irregularities.

Happy painting,
Taubmans Team

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

How to do recoating

Pam Carr

What are you re coating? If you are painting over oil based paint then you will need to undercoat with something like taubmans 123. If painting over water base paint then give it a light sand

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans

Hi Karunathilaka,

Thank your for choosing Taubmans Water Based Enamel for your painting project.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're recoating?

All the best,
Taubmans Team

Wendy T.

Wendy T.asked

Water Based Enamel

I am painting a wooden bed with Taubmans water based enamel. The bed is wood stained and I think is sealed with a low gloss varnish (factory finished). I have sanded it and under coated with Taubmans 3 in 1 sealer. I’m having trouble with brush strokes, mainly on the slats and especially at the edges of the slats where they are rounded. After doing the first coat of the water based enamel I have had to sand the brush strokes off and am now back to bare wood in places. My questions are: 1. Should I re-apply the undercoat where I have bare wood? 2. Should I use a roller where possible and if not, what is the best brush to use? Wendy

Jan

Janasked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

When painting interior doors with gloss paint can you thin paint with water and how do you get a good finish?

Shrek
Shrek

When I had so much trouble with applying the paint evenly, a guy at Taubmans said that I could use a small amount of water to thin it, though I can't remember the amount.
I ended up using a foam roller on the doors and a brush on the frames. I had to work quickly to roll the paint so that it didn't create overlay patches. It took several rolls over each area to work it into an even spread and then a very light roll over top to smooth it off. I preferred to have an even ripple effect from the roller than streaks from the brush.

Ace Mc cool
Ace Mc cool

Hi Jan,
I found the paint a good consistency for painting my trim and seemed to have lots of time to work the paint. I think I would use that Flowtrol paint thinner for acrylic paint if I was thinning it. This product should give you extra working time. Doors are so hard to do. I only used the paint for trim so did not have to work on a large area.. Best of luck with your painting.

Gull

Gullasked

Water Based Enamel Semi-Gloss

Hi everyone does anybody suggest good water based semi gloss paint other than dulux aquanamel semi gloss
have used this and results are not good it dries very quickly and results are not good. any paint that easy to apply any suggestion will be appreciated.

mattfruitbat
mattfruitbat

Hi Gull,
Yep Ive used Taubmans Ultimate enamel which is water based but slower drying so you have time to get a really good finish.
It dries quicker than oil based enamel and easy to clean up. My experience this time of year is to let it cure for a week before it gets any abuse. It takes a litle bit to harden up. I've got more info on my blog page. Ive been trying to find new paints for my business as some have gone off the market unfortunately.

Get an answer from our members and Taubmans representatives