Taubmans Water Based Enamel

• Ease of Application

Micheal

MichealGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible

Found it impossible to get a good looking finish on the doors and trims I was painting. Trims are cover in brush marks no matter what I tried to do. The doors I rolled, tried different rollers, sanded between coats, multiple coats but just could not get a smooth streak free finish.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Online Store for A$59.00.

Pam CarrGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Can't understand some of the review

I have used this paint on doors, trims, kitchen cupboard doors and even on a tiled splashback in a bathroom and the paint lasted for years and is still going. I cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this product.

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings.

Scott

ScottHunter Region, NSW

Should not be able to sell this crappy product.

Took the product back the first time as I thought it was faulty. When I replaced the product I realised it was just poor quality. The paint has a consistency of clag glue and did not cover at all well.

Purchased in July 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$70.00.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Taubmans Water Based Enamel compares to other Paints & Varnishes

SweetPea

SweetPeaSouthwest, VIC

Just don’t..

This product has made me question my own ability to paint after decades of satisfying results. After applying 3 coats to a flat panelled door and allowing 2 days between each coat, I am left with a thick gluggy mess which will have to be completely sanded back. The closest thing to striped paint I ever hope to encounter.

Zukothedog

ZukothedogMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awful, absolutely awful!

Went to Bunnings for an oil based trim paint and was recommended this instead. As a novice painter, I assumed the streaks and runs were due to my inexperience but the coverage was almost zero. Left the first coat for a full day to cure to no avail. It's more like a tinted gloss. Almost completely see through. I'm so annoyed that I paid $50 for 1ltre of this rubbish when Aldi sell (less crappy) gloss paint for $12 a litre!

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$50.00.

Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka

The closest I have found to an oil based enamel

Purchased in January 2020.

Scaldis

ScaldisHobart, TAS

Worst paint ever

This review is for for the neutral base paint in gloss. I used a yellow tint. You can't use this paint on vertical surfaces. Even very thin layers run just before setting. This paint has very little pigment (and yes I did stir it before use). For a general 2-3 layer appearance, you need to put on 6 coats. So, this paint needs twice as many coats as other products, and because of its runniness will have a bad finish unless you only paint horizontal surfaces.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$90.00.

dcp

dcpPerth, WA

Doesn't perform as described on info sheet. Terrible experience

I used for a commercial project according to instructions because of the need for a low odour fast drying product. Applied according to instructions, several thin coats with ample drying time in between. Tin advertises a fast drying paint -- was marking up with fingerprints and scuffing days after final coat applied. Had to completely strip paint and start again. 4 days lost. Complained to Taubmans, extremely disappointed with response. No niceties, Was told it takes a week to cure -- nowhere does it state this on the tin or the info sheet to be found online.
Don't believe the hype about the product. Had they simply offered to refund the unused tin I wouldn't have bothered writing the review.

Purchased in August 2019 at bunnings for A$91.00.

So impressed

I found this paint amazing. Coverage is excellent. I water it down slightly as it is a thicker paint but I’d rather buy thicker paint and water it down slightly than pay for thin watered down paint. I found two coats gave a beautiful finish and covered evenly. I can’t understand some of these reviews as it’s honestly a paint that has impressed me so much I’ve considered writing to Taubmans to tell them (which I never do). I also wrap my brushes immediately in glad wrap if not completing my painting straight away and haven’t had any problems at all with my brushes. I used the product with a roller on cupboard doors and brushes on skirting and all look fantastic.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Taubmans Water Based Enamel compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Angela03

Angela03Sydney, NSW

Not worth its money

Bought this paint from Bunnings as suggested by a salesperson in store .the paint is very thick, when used the paint brush it left the streak marks , tried roller paint being thick it was difficult.
Won’t advise anyone to use this paint

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

See all Taubmans Water Based Enamel reviews

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel

Do we need any sanding in between Coatings?

Allister W
Allister W

You don’t need to but considering how runny it is you may get drips that need sanding.

Pam Carr

Just lightly is always good between coats. I don't think it's runny

Hi Karunathilaka,

If the can directions have been followed, sanding between coats is typically only required to smooth out any visual irregularities.

Happy painting,
Taubmans Team

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

How to do recoating

Pam Carr

What are you re coating? If you are painting over oil based paint then you will need to undercoat with something like taubmans 123. If painting over water base paint then give it a light sand

Hi Karunathilaka,

Thank your for choosing Taubmans Water Based Enamel for your painting project.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're recoating?

All the best,
Taubmans Team

Wendy T.

Wendy T.asked

Water Based Enamel

I am painting a wooden bed with Taubmans water based enamel. The bed is wood stained and I think is sealed with a low gloss varnish (factory finished). I have sanded it and under coated with Taubmans 3 in 1 sealer. I’m having trouble with brush strokes, mainly on the slats and especially at the edges of the slats where they are rounded. After doing the first coat of the water based enamel I have had to sand the brush strokes off and am now back to bare wood in places. My questions are: 1. Should I re-apply the undercoat where I have bare wood? 2. Should I use a roller where possible and if not, what is the best brush to use? Wendy

Get an answer from our members and Taubmans representatives

Compare all 2 Taubmans Water Based Enamel