Taubmans Water Based Enamel

Taubmans Water Based Enamel (page 2 of 3)

Gloss, Semi-Gloss

• Coverage
  • Finish Quality
  • Longevity
  • Ease of Application

JHL

JHLSouth East Queensland, QLD

Alkyd Ultimate

Not happy with this product, and found it very difficult to apply with any satisfactory result.

I bought 10 litres of this Ultimate for painting windows and skirting boards etc. the first tin of paint had coagulated into something like cottage cheese. Bunnings replaced it. The second tin, when I started painting, it rapidly became clear to me that this product just ruined any previous prep work. I found it's impossible to over-paint after about two minutes, and found brush marks are virtually impossible to remove. Thankfully Bunnings refunded, and I bought 10 l of an oil based semi-gloss, Now happy!

Date PurchasedMay 2018
tomfoto

tomfoto

Great product

Check you tube first so that the paint is applied correctly. I used the alkaloid paint and had no problems .
Overall a very good product. Use a foam roller then brush lightly with a 6 inch brush. You can also use a sponge to slightly moisten the surface before painting.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Ace Mc cool

Ace Mc coolBrisbane

Fantastic finish and easy to work with water based gloss

I have used acylic glosses years ago and was unhappy with the results- quick drying and leaving brush marks. The oil gloss gives great results but is so so messy.
People had said that water based gloss has come a long way so I decided to give the Taubmans Endure doors and trim paint a go and was pleasently surprised at how smoothly and easily it went on. Granted the gloss level is not as good as an oil based gloss but clean up was so much better.
I will have to wait and see how it holds up over time.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Wish I researched, instead of believing the Bunnings guy

Date PurchasedJan 2017
David

DavidSouthwest, VIC

So many people can't be wrong.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Taubmans Ultimate Enamel Alkyd Based Best water based enamel I have ever used.

Can not understand why some low rating reviews have been said about this product, but having used it for a while now I would never go back to oil enamels. It wins hands down on the comparable Dulux aqua enamel. Using good quality brushes and rollers the product just goes on with ease and then flattens out smooth. Love it for windows, architraves and skirtings.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Nozmo King

Nozmo King

Sorry Taubmans Water Based Enamel, you fail

Thus would have to be the most frustrating, infuriating paint that I have ever used. It goes on like thin grease, with roller marks impossible to blend in. This paint does not "flash over" like any half decent paint would, and this is a paint that I wouldn't paint our dog house in. One star and that is more than it deserves.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
mattfruitbat

mattfruitbatSydney, NSW

Taubmans Ultimate Enamel (water based alkyd enamel)

Date PurchasedJul 2016

several coats poor results

Very disappoint spent lots of time applying, will have to go and purchase a better quality paint tomorrow and start again.
Was recommend in paints department of bunnings,and to make it worse I have lost receipt so total loss of time and money.
I was not happy after six coats the worst paint I have ever used.

Not worth the money

This paint after three coats,plus two of 3 in 1 sealer/undercoat, is still not good enough coverage. Don't waste your money. Research paints before buying.
I really wish I had. It's that bad it should be free.
Even tried doing a coat with a roller and it's still no better

I would have to agree this is the worst paint

Unfortunately, I read these comments to late, I have painted the interior of at least 15 houses and because I liked the Taubmans Endure I thought I would try the expensive Ultimate for a really high gloss finish on my own house. This paint is crap don't buy it, you get the same result from a tin of the $20 for 4 litres at Bunnings or Masters don't waste your money. It runs everywhere, I have tried undercoat sealer to help but it is still very patchy after 3 coats and I am taking it back for a refund.

Tamara Von Stanke

Tamara Von StankeGold Coast

Never be talked into aquiring this paint for Interior Doors!

Bunnings kid talked us into buying this paint for interiors doors as we used Taubmans for the walls and even though we had a grey undercoat on doors, he did not tell us that you would need it - so kids do not know what they are selling to customers and are not trained up for it. 6 coats later of painting with this grease like paint, you could still could see the lines of the roller even leaving it for 2 hours to see if it would recitfy with another coat. Took it back and will never use any Taubmans again for the hours wasted for one door!

sucker

suckerdoonside

If it's worth doing...

Painting my fourth house now and always ahappy dulux customer. Thought I would give taubmans a go this time around with the water based enamel for trims and doors. After 2 undercoats I am now up to my third top coat and it looks awful and patchy.
I wanted the house to look fresh and clean and now it just looks dirty and cheap. For downstairs I am going back to dulux and then will have to repaint upstairs alll again. If it's worth doing...

A poor finish not hard enough for doors

Taubmans water based paint does not stand up to normal wear and tear in my opinion. I painted 8 doors having followed all the instructions as given at Bunnings only to find that the vacuum scratched it off. I did contact Taubmans and was given the same instructions on the tin, which I had followed.

There are better natural products

Gypsy
Gypsy

Angela P

Angela PThe Honeysuckles

Worst paint ever!!

I've done a lot of painting in my time and I can honestly say I have never used a worse paint than this, I sanded, primed and applied sever coats of undercoat to ensure a good finish. I should have stopped there as this paint has ruined the look, it dries ridiculously quickly and leaves it looking like a mess. I'll have to sand it back and start again. I'm going back to Bunnings to try for a refund. This was the first time I had used Taubmans and will be the last.

Good paint needs a few coats

used this paint on old timber doors that were painted white used under coat on all doors . Painted doors lying down over tressels as paint can run if you paint doors standing up.Three coats over a white based undercoat did the job. easy to clean easy to apply once again 3 coats did the job.Very nice finish glossy color we used was vivid blue .
easy clean easy to apply much cheaper than dulux
need do stir a lot use attachmet on drill to do stirring

lilybuffyau

lilybuffyauSydney, NSW

Good for furniture,terrible for doors

I purchased this paint to paint timber furniture & found it a bit thin - I had to apply about 5 coats so it wasn't transparent but the furniture came up nicely and I was happy with it.
I then purchased a tin so I could paint the interior doors and I have had nothing but trouble. Very streaky, you can see the brush marks or roller marks - the doors will need about 6 coats - I would never buy this paint again to do doors with, too much time wasting & too much effort.This paint is very transparent on the doors and I would not use this paint again so much of a time waster with this paint.
low odour
transparent,needs half a dozen coats

map890

map890Hazelbrook

OK paint

Alld_one

Alld_oneSydney, NSW

Nice finish but peels off even after undercoat and sanding

billb
billb

Sounds like the problem is water based enamel applied over oil based enamel.

See all Taubmans Water Based Enamel reviews

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel

Do we need any sanding in between Coatings?

Allister W
Allister W

You don’t need to but considering how runny it is you may get drips that need sanding.

Pam Carr

Just lightly is always good between coats. I don't think it's runny

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans

Hi Karunathilaka,

If the can directions have been followed, sanding between coats is typically only required to smooth out any visual irregularities.

Happy painting,
Taubmans Team

Karunathilaka G.

Karunathilaka G.asked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

How to do recoating

Pam Carr

What are you re coating? If you are painting over oil based paint then you will need to undercoat with something like taubmans 123. If painting over water base paint then give it a light sand

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans

Hi Karunathilaka,

Thank your for choosing Taubmans Water Based Enamel for your painting project.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're recoating?

All the best,
Taubmans Team

Wendy T.

Wendy T.asked

Water Based Enamel

I am painting a wooden bed with Taubmans water based enamel. The bed is wood stained and I think is sealed with a low gloss varnish (factory finished). I have sanded it and under coated with Taubmans 3 in 1 sealer. I’m having trouble with brush strokes, mainly on the slats and especially at the edges of the slats where they are rounded. After doing the first coat of the water based enamel I have had to sand the brush strokes off and am now back to bare wood in places. My questions are: 1. Should I re-apply the undercoat where I have bare wood? 2. Should I use a roller where possible and if not, what is the best brush to use? Wendy

Get an answer from our members and Taubmans representatives

Compare all 2 Taubmans Water Based Enamel