Technicolor TG789

Technicolor TG789

great modem

very happy with this modem for my nbn it is very reliable and quick easy to setup wifi is very quick also on it can enter modem and change passwords and name of wifi and your own wifi password

Purchased in July 2015 at iinet.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 50
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Ok within a small flat - useless around a house

Before I connected to the NBN, I asked my telco how this modem's WiFi would perform, as compared to my (then) existing NetGear router. I was assured that its WiFi range would be a lot better than the NetGear's. It hasn't been. The WiFi range of my NetGear router was perfectly adequate for our purposes - covering a range of over 20 metres. The Technicolor modem supplied to us had a reliable range of only around 7 metres, which is totally inadequate for us. I have been trying to sort this out with my telco for the past two months, and STILL haven't been able to sort it out. Trying again tomorrow.

Purchased in December 2017.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 12
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Bringing The Internet Intoo My Home

I have an ADSL2 MODEM HOOKED UP THROUGH MMY Lannddline phone Curtiss of Telstra as the NBN has not yet arrived over my side of town.
Tremendous piece of equipment working through my Smart TV, my telstraTV Box and my new Apple PRO 12/09inches and 64 GBs to start off with. Not to mention WiFi connection
Had the odd difficulty but Telstra technition has been suburb and only needed to come once to correct a fault which was in my phone and not the modem2
Opened up a new world of entertainment
Any drop outs I am now able to correct myself by rebooting the system.(not bad technology fo a senior citizen to handle)

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Garbage

Was bundled free from iiNet. Performs terrible with wifi. Constant drop outs slow speeds, buffering with Netflix etc. The modem is within 10 feet on the tv. Found this item to be of terrible performance and have just finished throwing it in the bin. I would not recommend this modem to ANYONE!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Absolute junk

I've only owned this for a week and without doubt it is the worst modem/router I have ever owned.
I have been completely unable to establish a stable wi-fi connection, I am plagued by dropouts on a daily basis, it requires constant power cycling which takes an age ( maybe 10 minutes) and there's no manufacturer's support.
I'm ready to throw this trash into the bin or give it to someone I despise but I don't hate anybody enough to inflict this much trouble and frustration on them.
My ISP should be ashamed to be supplying this box of inadequacy to customers.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

reliable modem and easy to config

I should say it is one of the mid range modem in Australia. good user interface but not advanced and very easy to config your NBN Provider. low price and good WiFi range in small house, suit for one story! at overall it is good and cheap modem for home use.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Delivers faster speed than my asus dsl ac68

Having this unit on ADSL2 before HFC connection I have found the Wifi to be as good as the Asus modem router. And both download and upload speeds are on average 30% faster!! Point off though for configuration being locked down by supplier. So doesn't show some functions.This unit can assign static IP addresses.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

No internet

Just moved houses and have tried to get internet in the house for over a month now and have called optus about it and nothing has be done. I don't know what's wrong whether its the modem or just the company I'm with but I'm not satisfied with either because still i have no internet.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Good

Fast enough. Holds multiple connections. Isp edition is easy to set up. Had a lot of issues with dropouts with this modem on internode. Was supposedly fixed by a firmware update. I would strongly suggest that you make sure the firmware issues have been resolved before buying one of these though.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Even free this modem is not worth it

Four weeks ago I replaced my ever faithful ASD2890AL because I now need a VoIP modem. I don't think a day has passed that the WiFi has not dropped out (and often). The sync with the ISP is OK and has been up for over 2 weeks, but it just can't handle the WiFi. There are 11 devices connected, but even when I work from home with 1 active device I get dropouts and it will take 10-20 minutes to get a stable connection again. Glad I didn't pay for it. I am off to get a proper modem.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Perfect

Has worked perfectly for 18 months now and has much better wifi than the Billion 7800NXL it replaced. I used to have to use a wifi repeater half way down the backyard of my back neighbour who I share my broadband with but don't need that anymore with the TG789. LIttle slower to reboot than some modem/routers but not slow enough to matter.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Modem nbn

This modem I bought through iinet for my nbn set up haven’t had it long but seems to be alright. We can have 7 devices hooked up at once and seems to hold up alright. Light weight and keeps itself cool, use it standing on its side or laying flat whatever you prefer

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Works perfectly so far

Router came with My Republic Cable NBN
Easy to set up and use
I have 43 connection in my house
About 15 on the Lan network, approx 28 wireless depending on what's turned on or in range.
Most wireless connections are Sonos type switches and Harmony hub controlled hi fi etc
I mounted the white coloured Router 1/3rd the way up the wall where the cable connection comes in
Found it gave better coverage off the floor or desk
Spaced it off wall about 10 mm to aid air circulation
I have 2 lan wired switches to aid with lan distribution

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Still going well nearly 18 months later. I oversubscribed the 2.4 wireless side and got drop outs. Caused by adding Smart swithes etc using Amazon Alexa and Broadlink etc. Easily fixed by swapping what I could of other wireless devices to 5Ghz :) Wired Ethernet no issues.

Good modem provided by ISP

I got this modem from my NBN ISP. In general works fine although the dual wireless signal is not very powerful to cover all my house. My previous D-Link modem-router used to do that, so now I need to buy an additional device to cover my whole house...
Easy to install and setup. I get normally very good download speeds trough my ISP and this modem hadle it well.
Overall it was for free and does the job.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Good modem, basic only wireless router - overheats in sub-tropics no aircon

I got a TG-789 for free from my ISP when I switched to the NBN (FTTN).

Modem
It synchronised at 69.3/41.69 Mbps at our house (the fastest speed it could connect at download/upload) which was good for my distance from the node. The upload sync speed is faster than another modem I've since bought, the TP-Link VR2600, syncing at 76.6/34.2 Mbps. The TG-789 has a higher upload, while the VR2600 has a higher download sync. Most would prefer the download to be the priority over uploading, though (hey still much better than ADSL I used to only get 6/512!) Adding both upload and download the TG-789 is squeezing more overall, out of our connection.

The internet only dropped out a few times that could have been other problems (unlike the budii lite I tried also, which dropped internet multiple times a day!). I did see some errors listed though, many downstream FEC errors per day (around 30) and upstream and downstream UAS are both: 141. My ISP said not to worry about those so long as the connection doesn't drop! I don't get any FEC or other errors on my VR2600 though.

It worked successfully with Aussie Broadband FTTN too when I changed ISPs.

Wireless Drop outs
The TG-789 is a good modem, however, why we upgraded, and it is now a spare, is it had many wireless drop outs. We have a Wii U in the same room and multiple neighboring wireless networks interfering. The wireless dropped every few days. It seems to support only 10 wireless devices too and when you connect over that the drop outs occur. Being a three person house with a geek (me) and a teenager 10 isn't enough for us!
Also the wireless dropped out and the whole thing froze whenever I logged into the management interface and applied settings.

Overheating?
I believe the wireless worked well for the first three days but the semi-tropical, non-airconditioned environment in summer here may have got to it. (in our lounge we get near 40C sometimes and frequent high humidity) Then the wireless drop outs started. I ended up putting it up on a mesh stand and a small fan blowing up underneath it. It has good ventilation holes all around but perhaps isn't heatsinked enough. One clue, is how light it is.

If I had a good router already I would have bridged the modem to it (made it so the modem is just a modem and the router function is done by the router). I ended up getting a modem/router to take over it's job but also had to get a VOIP ATA for land line phone. The TG-789 does have VOIP capabilities built in, and I could have used them for my non-isp VOIP service ok as it's unlocked, but if you bridge it, you'd lose the VOIP function too. Then I would have needed three devices, unless I'd got a modem/router with VOIP built in.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Pretty good

Pretty good considering it was provided by ISP. I have had no problems so far and it is very easy to set up. Easy to use and it works on wireless but I do not know about wired connections for I have not tried it. Overall a good modem with good service

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Good modem, provided by ISP

This modem was provided to me as part of my plan with my ISP. I've used both wireless and wired connections, and used it with both ADSL 2+ and NBN (FTTN) - and it hasn't missed a beat. I find that it doesn't really reach up to the very end of my (long) house, but I don't use wireless there anyway. All good!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Very poor

This was given to me by my ISP for free, provided I agreed to a further 2 year sign up. I was told it was an excellent modem by my ISP and this was the only reason I upgraded. My previous modem was a Netgear with 2.4 and 5ghz options. It was a very good modem. This TG789 is slow, unreliable, drops out if others are using devices at the same time. I am extremely disappointed with this modem.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Decent modem but poor interface.

I received this modem from my ISP as part of an NBN plan. It works fine and speeds are decent (if you can call NBN speeds decent haha). My only real gripe is that the web interface is extremely sluggish. Saving changes like updating a Wirelss network SSID can take upwards of a minute. Simply opening the LAN settings tab can take in excess of 30 seconds. As far as advanced features go it has what most people need: DMZ, port triggering, port forwarding etc. Option for a guest WiFi network is nice but lacking ability to restrict bandwidth. If it weren't for the sluggish interface I would leave 5 stars.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Seems to working as it should

Issue with wireless. Internal antennas will not be very efficient. I use a netgear with sizable wireless antennas. Internal but the unit stands vertically. I switch off the 789 wireless and rely on the netgear. It has 2.4 and 5.0 bands. Best of both worlds i think. I have the 789 unit giving me 42/10. Happy with that but will comment later on its connection reliability.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
This unir has turned out to be quite reliable. No outages apart from some down time which i believe were service outages. Now running at 44/11 mbits.