Tefal Snack Collection Multi-function Sandwich Press SW852D61

Tefal Snack Collection Multi-function Sandwich Press SW852D61 (page 2 of 2)

Good so far

Redeem flybuys points for this sandwich press / waffle maker.
So far has been great... Used it every breakfast and sandwich comes out hot and well pressed.
Removable plates is great... I hand wash it after every two uses. Have not tried to use dishwasher...
Have not tried the waffle maker yet...

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi tennis888, Thanks for such a great review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We hope you get to use the Waffle Plates and enjoy your sandwiches and Waffles! Thank You - Tefal Australia

Very happy with it

We bought ours a couple of months ago and wanted to wait before writing a review. Its works really well and we are happy with it. I've been using it most days for lunch and on the weekends for breakfast. I haven't had any problems with cleaning, or cheese escaping too much --- I make sure the bread is big enough to cover the cooking area so it seals. I made sure when I first got it, that I heated it up to burn off any manufacturing oil, etc. and then washed the plates again. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the smell -- every appliance has a smell when first run. I wanted to get the pancakes plate but they don't seem to be available in the shops so I ordered it on Appliance Online. My only complaint is that the pancake recipe supplied is horrible, but when I tried again with the simple 1 cup SR flour to 1 egg and 1 cup of milk - they turned out perfect. I've also started using the pancake plate as a jaffle maker when making an egg jaffle as it doesn't cut the bread. Overall, very happy with the appliance.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Hi Kessie. Thank you for your great review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the machine and have been able to use it for a lot of different meals. In regards to the pancake recipe, thank you for your feedback. We will pass this onto our team for further assessment. If we can be of any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.

Its a very good product for the price its offered!!!

I bought this product from Costco and made my first batch of waffles with it today... Am truely pleased and amazed to say it did the job well... no flowing no burning ... yes there was a bit of plastic smell but wasnt overpowering once the windows were opened.... easy to clean...
With the kind of reviews I read, I was not sure about buying it... But am assured it the best decision I have made... Loved it!!

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hello Shayak. Thank you for your great review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are very pleased to hear you are enjoying the product. The plastic smell generally is only on first use. We are glad you find the machine easy to clean! It is a very important time saving feature. If we can be of any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.

Broken plastic handle on first use

The top plastic handle split on first use.The split in the plastic handle is exactly where the screw is located. Tefal are usually well designed products. Disappointed by the cheap plastic feel of the product. I do love the removable plates. I will return to the retailer and request a credit, I am unlikely to replace with the same product.

Hi M_Paws, Sorry to hear about your experience with the Tefal Snack Collection. The plastic Handle on the appliance should definitely not split especially on first use, this is quite unusual and not Tefal Standards. We do hope you decide to get another Snack Collection on your return as it really is an exceptionally wonderful appliance. Thank You - Tefal Australia

Loads of fun and easy to use

I bought the tefal snack collection for a kk present game i have with my family at Christmas. I loved it so much that i made sure i got it.

The concept of having one appliance and multiple plates is a great space saver. I take this away with us on holiday because of how versatile it is and have found that the pancake plates fit eggs perfectly. So Easy to use and and clean. my 4 year old loves using it to

The only negative comment is i wish it was easier to buy the plates online.

Definitely would recommend this product

Hi Nikki, Thank you for your fantastic review of the Tefal Snack Collection. Great news that you have become inventive with your Pancake plate and using this for your eggs...Brilliant! Additional plates can be purchased from your local retailer or you can also contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 307 824 to purchase any additional plates you require. We hope your 4 year old and you continue to love using your Tefal Snack Collection. Tefal - Australia

Terrible smell of burnt plastic even after hours

We bought the device in Switzerland today. Washed it and used it but even after hours of using and washing again an aeful smell of burnt plastic would sit in the entire house and does not go away even after hours of opening the window. Do not buy! This can not be healthy!!!

Hello. Thank you for your review of the Tefal Snack Collection. You've actually contacted the Australian Product Review site. Please forward your contact details on to productreview@groupeseb.com so we can get your review onto the correct country. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.

2nd Tefal sandwich presses in 2 weeks same faulty thermostat

I purchased this item from jb hi-fi. I love the concept of multiple plates for different dishes, however 2 presses in 2 weeks have broken. When the thermostat reaches operating temperature it trips the circuit breaker I have operated the press on a separate home circuit that easily handles other appliances rated at much higher watages confirming it is the product at fault.
I will be returning this product and requesting a replacement from another brand.

Hi Myles, We are sorry to hear that you have had this experience with the Tefal Snack Collection. If you have not returned the appliance yet we would love to get this back from you to investigate this issue further as it is definately something that should not occur. Could you please contact us at productreview@groupeseb.com so one of our Customer Service Team Members can reach out to offer some assistance. Thank You - Tefal Australia

Story of a disaster: toxic burn smell, electric popping noise when loaded with waffle

As a french citizen living down under, it was quite logical to use Tefal to make waffles...

Unfortunately it is clear that there is a faulty series of this product, our house (with 2 kids) is filled by a strong disturbing toxic plastic? smell.

Additionally a very disturbing loud and regular electric "pop" noise is made, which does not sound good at all.

Hello. Thank you for your review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your machine. It is covered by a 1 year replacement warranty, please take the machine back to the store of purchase to have it replaced. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.Thank you for your reply, it has already been done. Funny enough, I had a crack at another Tefal Snack collection before asking for refund, as I firstly thought It could just be a lack of luck... But again the exact same issue, so there is definitely a faulty series running around. If I was paranoiac, because all of them were on half year sale at Harvey Norman, I could say that Tefal intentionally get rid of this faulty series through cheap and fast sale, without any concern of customers safety... but that if I was paranoiac of course.

Really happy with this

After reading some of the negative reviews of this machine I was slightly put off buying one, but noted that Tefal took the time to respond to the negative reviews and try to solve the problems posted - a good sign.
I bought mine at Harvey Norman for $99 and can say it has been a great success. Yes, there was a slight burning smell to begin with - but similar to other hotplate type devices and once 'seasoned' has not been a problem.
At first we followed the waffle recipe supplied, but we've made all kinds of delicious waffles with no problems. Jaffles are good, nicely sealed and browned. Definitely not a machine for cafe or staff room use, but great for home.

Terrible Sandwich maker, dont waste your money!

I saw the Tefal Snack collection and thought it was a fantastic concept! Having interchangeable plates to suit, waffles, pancakes and toasted sandwiches, what a great idea, so I bought one, along with additional plates (over $150!) for our staff to use.
The only problem is, it doesnt cook the bread and the filling runs out everywhere. We've tried lots of different types and sizes or bread with the same result.
Only 2 weeks old and its already been thrown in the cupboard and they've pulled out the 4 year old Breville Sandwich maker, which still works perfectly.
Obviously paying 3 times the price, doesnt mean you'll get a better machine!
If only I'd kept the box, I would have taken it back to Kitchen Warehouse and asked for my money back (But who expects something as basic as a sandwich maker to not work!)

Update - We purchased the Breville "Big One" Sandwich Maker and it works beautifully. Half the price of the Tefal and 10 times better!

Versatile, easy to clean and store

Got this from the Qantas store using my points after deliberating over getting this or a Breville Smart waffle maker (the versatility of changing the plates won me over). I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews here but so far (touch wood!) having a really great experience with it. Takes a short time to heat up and the plates are easy to remove and clean. Did notice the slight burning smell when I first used it but that has now disappeared. One small negative: there are some small rubber bungs fitted on the top and bottom of the inside of the machine and when it gets really hot (after about 10 mins use or so) sometimes the little bungs 'pop' out. I don't think they are crucial to the use of the machine but just be wary as the top ones could drop into your batter! Looking forward to trying out more plates.

Hi Hazel. Thank you for your great review of the Tefal Snack Collection! We are so happy to hear you are enjoying using the machine and you are finding the removeable plates easy to clean. If we can ever be of any assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.

Burning Smells, Strange Popping Noises

I received one of these for Christmas. Upon the first use, the house was filled with a burning smell, which I assume was coming from the coating on the plates. The plates had been washed before use. It didn't really get any better after a few more heating cycles. I can't imagine these fumes are too great for your health. The unit also makes strange cracking/popping sounds while in use. Very unhappy with the product and will be sending it back.

Hi Jess, Thank you for your review of the Tefal Snack Maker. This is definitely something very unusual which should not be occurring.Could you please email your contact details to productreview@groupeseb.com and one of our Customer Service Team Members will contact you. Thank you. – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustraliaNearly a year later and I still have not used my replacement due to fear of being electrocuted. I have seen other reviews with the same issues I have had on their replacement machines and this is very unsettling. Contemplating just sending this off to the rubbish bin. I advise against this product which is a shame as I normally love tefal.

This machine has excellent potential, but sadly snapped in half after only 6 weeks

The design of this fantastic machine was what drew me to make a purchase and at first I was thrilled, but alas after only 6 weeks of use the lid snapped completely off the base and had to be returned. I would like to see Tefal offer an upgraded version with a better form of hinging between the top and bottom plates as the plastic hinge currently used does not do the machine justice. Very unusual for a Tefal product to have such a design flaw. Improve this defect and I will be first to buy again.

Hi Vikki, Thank you for your review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are very sorry to hear about the experience that you have encountered and you are correct this is not usual for a Tefal Product. I have passed your review onto our Quality Department. If you ever need to contact us please don't hesitate to. Thank you. – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia

Great snack maker, shame the extra plates are hard to find

I really love this snack maker so far. So easy to clean with the removable plates and cooks really well. I've not tried the waffle plate but plan to soon.

However I've not been able to find anywhere selling all the plates. JBHiFi had a couple of plates, but they seem to be the only place selling them.

Hi Sarah, Thank you for the review of the Tefal Snack Collection. Great news that you are loving this appliance and the way it cooks. In regards to purchasing additional snack plates please call our Customer Service Team on 1300 307 824 and we will be able to assist you. Thank you. – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustraliaWhen I rang Tefal earlier this year in regards to getting accessories for my yoghurt maker I was told to contact a local repair service to order parts. It seems ridiculous that we can't just order online direct from the manufacturer. When I need parts for any of my Breville appliances I just call the company direct.Hi Sarah, Our policy has changed regarding accessories these can now be purchased direct over the phone using a Visa or Mastercard. Please call Customer Service 1300 307 824 as we will be able to assist you with the purchase. Thank you. – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia

Just what I wanted

I have been making waffles for quite a while with an old fashioned cast iron waffle maker which has been a bit of a slog so today I bought the Tefal Snack Collection Multi-function Waffle Maker. I have just made the most delicious chickpea waffles with 1
cup chickpea flour, 1
cup water, 3 tbs peanut oil, 1
tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 egg and 2 tsp skim powdered milk all whisked together and rested covered for an hour then cooked for 5 minutes to golden, crisp perfection! I love that the waffle maker is compact and simple to use and can't wait to try out rice flour waffles next.

Hi Serenity, Thank you for your review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are so pleased that you loving the new way of making your waffles at home and what a wonderful recipe! If we can ever be of any assistance please don't hesitate to contact us Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia

A lot of fun

I brought this as I was looking for a small waffle maker and was taken by this particular product as it has interchangeable plates so you can use it for more than just a waffle or sandwich maker.
Out of the box mine came with both the jaffle and waffle plates. I then went online and brought some of the other plates. I brought the donut plates (healthy donuts minus the oil), the turnover plates and the pancake plates.

The place I purchased the appliance did not stock the additional plates, however I found them on TVSN so ordered from there. There are 12 different plates available all up.

For the size of a small sandwich maker on my counter top, I can make a whole different host of things and the plates go in the dishwasher. Can't get much better than that.

I will say that after you have cooked a few pancakes etc, the outside of the machine does get very hot for those who might have the kids helping them.
Also, the recipe books that come with the plates are not all that great, but there are heaps of recipes online. I made some great cheese and chive savoury waffles from an online recipe and they worked well in the machine.

Hi Janine, Thank you for such a wonderful review of the Tefal Snack Collection. We are happy to hear that you are loving the versatility of this compact appliance and all it has to offer! If we can ever be of any assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you – Tefal Australia facebook.com/TefalAustralia.

Hello Tefal, I love my Snack Collection, however having an important Question. 2nd use, my first Waffle Plate- plastic was smelling much more and while cooking waffles - which came out perfectly!!- the steam(water) from cooking stayed on the frame where the plate locks are And on the connector- the middle. So I guess the small splash of water(?) dripping at the back is OK?? also, when the water collected that was when I started hearing this popping noise. And not once but more often, like the end of making a popcorn. Is it still safe to use Again? Steam wasn't released evenly in my opinion either, more to the right side and only a little bit from the left while the waffles cooked even in size. Unit stood in an open space so plenty of air circulation. The unit lookes okay, no visual issues, heaters very bright orange. Can you please, help me figure it out? I am so scared too much popping would cause fire due to the water after steam. Thank you

Hi all I am wondering is a burnt under-side when using the donut plate and waffle plate a norm with this? I tested a couple of recipes and they all get over cooked... I would like to love this! But so far I am not sold on this device...
I've used both waffle and donut plates several times and I've not experienced a burnt underside. With doughnuts, if the height to which it rises isn't enough to make contact on the upper plate, the lower side cooks faster. So I flip half way through cooking. If you wait for the top to be cooked enough, the bottom could likely burn. I've never had this problem with the waffle plates - I suppose everything I've poured in has risen to make contact on both sides. If you are having trouble try adjusting to use more/thicker batter or flipping half way.

We have just received our Snack Collecton and cannot figure out how to open the box containing the various plates without damaging the book like box. Could you please help us? we are hungry. jack_ray@bigpond.com
Yes we had the same issue....must be gold bars inside... anyway... had to use a small screwdriver on the side and gently pry open the box...Thanks for your answer tennis888, it was a relief to know that I was not alone in this sad and hungary situation; all was resolved when my grandson arrived and effortlessly opened the box. Hungary no longer. Old Silver