Telstra Gateway Max 2

Telstra Gateway Max 2

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

This is excellent

I get this Telstra smart modem as part of the cable internet package with Telstra.
At first, I was very doubtful whether this modem can deliver the speed as promised.
However, this modem has exceeded all my Expectation.
It bring the internet speed very constantly as promised and very reliable too.
I am very happy.
And also when the internet connection is down, the SIM card take over immediately so I don’t loose any connection at all.
So it is really smart modem.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Brilliant family router

We have had and excellent and very stable experience with this - vastly better than the old Netgear it replaced. Reach is good - usable wifi in every room (small house) and very few dropouts. I have reset it a few times but I don't know if it made any difference - it pretty reliable and just sits there quietly going about its business. I would recommend this!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great router

Great product, comes with all you need to get a strong and stable connection.
Features:
2 x 3.0 fast USB ports
4 x fast GE Ethernet ports
1 DSL port for ADSL2 and VDSL2
The fastestratified Wi-Fi standard there is
Easy push button connection to pair wireless devices
Dual Band capacity for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz
Compatible with ADSL, VDSL and NBN
Access to the Telstra Air network
Well worth the money

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Decent on wifi, exceptional with ethernet.

With a wifi (wireless) connection, the modem sometimes drops out occasionally, sometimes impacting on browsing and gaming. However, using an ethernet connection (wired) provides a very fast connection to the internet. I would recommend this particular product, for sure - because of the ethernet connection (and wireless connection for devices such as phones, tablets etc).

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Average modem

Got this modem as part of my big pond cable package. Wi fi works fine at ground level but seriously lacking over a big property and had to buy a wi fi booster to boost signal. Apart from that does everything that needs doing.

No would not recommend to buy but does do the job.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Works well

I bought this when setting up cable broadband in my new place. It works fine - I get fast and consistent speeds all throughout the apartment on the 5 GHz frequency setting. Never had any problems with it. I don't use a home phone so can't comment on that side of things.

Reliable

Plug and Play almost, easy to set up, never skipped a beat, attractive unit. Fast and efficient. We are not on NBN yet but this unit will work on NBN. Much faster than our last one. Have not had any dropouts to speak of, new home, new area, new equipment. All good so far

Date PurchasedDec 2017

The back up cell coverage

Having recently moved from cable to FTTP I wasn’t sure what to expect and I’m still not convinced cable provided speeds more then triple the speed I’m now on, however the new modem is a different story!
The ability to map your homes coverage, change details and passwords without needing to use a LAN cable directly plugged in makes it easy to use. The SIM card that connects into the cell network does make this modem superior to many others when the network drops, it is not speeds you will get with your phone on 4GX but it’s enough to not be burning your mobile data.
This modem is plug and play and with the you tube videos if your stuck makes it a great choice for non-tech savvy owners

Date PurchasedDec 2017

So much better

As I upgraded to NBN initially Telstra gave me the normal gateway. The wifi on that was terrible even with extender. I contacted Telstra and demanded a replacement for a better modem. This one is so much better, no more drop outs. It has also 4 LANs to connect different devices.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Myriad of issues

This modem is horrible. The Telstra Gateway Max 2, or it's actual model name, the Technicolor TG800VAC is a horrible piece of equipment that is afflicted with many issues.
1. Will reboot itself at random intervals, thus losing any connection.
2. Wifi may or may not work.
3. Wifi will drop out randomly.
4. The first one I received eventually ended up not working at all. The power light stayed on a light green colour and factory reset did not work, and a restart did nothing.

I have not modified the replacement. However the first one I received from Telstra I decided to look under the hood of the OpenWRT firmware and noticed that in the messages.log, there were problems related to ddns-scripts module which crashed the modem. I have not been able to get to the root cause of the problem as Telstra don't seem to have any support staff who can help with hardware issues.

0/10 would not recommend in any circumstance. I am resigned to the fact that I will have to purchase another modem independent of Telstra and attempt to set it up myself.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

TG800vac is The lastest model ..FASTER

Telstra Gateway 2 TG800vac Is a faster modem overall , If you have FTTP , With cooling options via the usb port on modem , Too maintain performance and continuous speed , . . . .. Faster Than the years older model TG799 ....... ....... .. . . . . . .

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Works well for day to day usage

The Telstra Gateway works exceptionally well for day to day general usage. Although it sometimes can struggle when multiple people are connected at the same time. I have family members who play Xbox, who work on their computers, who do homework, and those are the times when it can lag or not work too great. Other than that is an excellent product and would definitely purchase again.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

I been using Telstra cable internet, fast as. My advice is to upgrade your current ISP Don't go for NBN. I have 1000 gig a month with the Foxtel plane. But can get hot easy. Good for gaming and streaming videos. Go Telstra. Good for Xbox and PlayStation 4. Get it now

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Easy to conect

I just bought this from telstra everything was perfect
Good : easy to conect, dual band wifi quick and easy sharing of photo, music and video over wifi, can conect to every devices including tablets, smartphones, tv, game console and computer.
Bad : nothing everything work perfectly and fast
Can't live without it

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great system

My husband bought this system for our internet, we had tried a number of systems before but never held up to there promise so we have tried this system so far so good no problems so far touch wood. I don't know to much about technology but he has so i trust his comments when it is needed.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Fast NBN Speeds from Telstra Branded Modem

The Telstra Gateway Max 2 is an amazing Telstra product. Telstra offer this modem when you sign up to a NBN Internet Service. Depending on your location you can reach amazing speeds using this modem to allow the family to game or to watch movies on Netflix. Extremely nice build and very useful technology.

10/10 stars, high quality product.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Easy Setup, Fast Speed!

Setting up this modem was fairly easy and straight-forward.
Thankfully I can now enjoy highspeed wifi all throughout my house with great range.
Most difficult part of the installation was screwing in the coax cable which was a bit difficult but got there without too much trouble.
The vertical stand provides better airflow and cooling than most modems, allowing the modem to stay cool and achieve better performance

Date PurchasedApr 2017

This is good

Telstra can be an absolute nightmare to deal with but it worked out ok in the end .Was sent a 2 port modem at first gateway max with one phone line after a few phone calls got sent the gateway max 2 it has 4 fast ethernet ports would have preferred gigabit. 2 phone outputs on it and has 2.4ghz wifi and 5g both the wireless settings work well and router works well

Worst Modem Ever

So i thought upgrading from my ancient Netgear router would be a good idea.... and being a Telstra customer i thought yeah this will be a great new modem! WRONG! The setup and internal software is hard to navigate and annoying to find the simplest settings. The connection speed is slower than ever before and of course Telstra says its working fine! Back to the old netgear i went within a week, now all i have is an expensive paperweight

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Not the best quality. Frequent drops.

Just got NBN from Telstra. It has been a month and I'm not very happy with it. During the day I get decent speeds but not great. However, during peak times it gets quite slow. The modem also randomly disconnects many times a day, and takes about 10min to start working again. Not very happy to be honest.