Telstra Gateway Max 2

Telstra Gateway Max 2

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Anomalous

AnomalousGold Coast, Queensland

Custom Firmware FTW

Flashed this with custom Ansuel firmware via SSH and its absolutely the best. Never had a drop out. Can also run transmission for torrents and switch back to the Telstra GUI.

Currently with Aussie Broadband. I was with Telstra and it was tested as one of the fastest NBN FTTN modems out there for the price.

Pick one of these up for $70 or so secondhand and you will be impressed. Absolute bargain.

Purchased in September 2018 for $75.00.

Number of Connected Devices 12 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN 50 (Standard Plus)
ModemTechnicolor Tg800vac
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Cameron Porter

Cameron PorterGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Works very well

I was skeptical about these modems at fist since my neighbour had so many issues with them. Turns out he was just unlucky since I've had zero issues from day one. It was pretty easy to set up. Been using it for 2 years and I'm very happy with it. Wireless works great, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but 5ghz really needs an extender, as an option since some houses tend to have issues with it.

Purchased in June 2017.

MarianneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Telstra smart modem gen 2

I upgraded my old modem for this as I wanted to be able to use Telstra air when out and about. This modem comes with 2 parts to it, which is a bit of a space hogger on my desk. It works the same (not faster or slower) than my old Telstra gateway netgear. However, the whole point of this exercise was for Telstra air which has been a massive let down as there is never Telstra air WiFi available when I go out, I am only 8 Kim from Melbourne cbd and it doesn’t pick up a signal even when I’m at local shopping center that has a Telstra store. Telstra air is a good concept but in reality it doesn’t work!!

Date PurchasedDec 2018
brombo

bromboDaylesford

Not the Gateway but the Telstra Smart Gen 2

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Bruce

BruceQLD, 4051

This is excellent

I get this Telstra smart modem as part of the cable internet package with Telstra.
At first, I was very doubtful whether this modem can deliver the speed as promised.
However, this modem has exceeded all my Expectation.
It bring the internet speed very constantly as promised and very reliable too.
I am very happy.
And also when the internet connection is down, the SIM card take over immediately so I don’t loose any connection at all.
So it is really smart modem.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

River

RiverMelvourne

Good, Basic modem if you want Plug and Play

Date PurchasedMar 2017

emm

emmSydney

Its OK

it's very slow, compared to NBN. We have unlimited and pay more than what we did before. Everyone told me that telstra is good and expensive, but its absolutely terrible
Took a few weeks to set up, it was very hard and had to call the company up several times a week/day.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Meghan_b

Meghan_b

Great product

I bought this modem from Telstra with my home internet service, all in all a great modem! I live in a spot that has bad service and the dropouts can be quite frequent but by changing to this modem they became almost non-existent which is great! The connection is good throughout a 3 storey house. It looks good and doesn’t take up too much room which is also a great plus!

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Fosters5

Fosters5Collingwood

Brilliant family router

We have had and excellent and very stable experience with this - vastly better than the old Netgear it replaced. Reach is good - usable wifi in every room (small house) and very few dropouts. I have reset it a few times but I don't know if it made any difference - it pretty reliable and just sits there quietly going about its business. I would recommend this!

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Kimbo

KimboLockwood park

Very hard to setup

I had major issues setting this up at home. First off the user names given to us by telsta was wrong and the VoIP didn't work too. Had it for two weeks and they needed to send another because it was running extramly slow and still dose and is about the same as dial up so not happy about the move to nbn with this modem

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Jon Jon

Jon JonNORTH BONDI

Great router

Great product, comes with all you need to get a strong and stable connection.
Features:
2 x 3.0 fast USB ports
4 x fast GE Ethernet ports
1 DSL port for ADSL2 and VDSL2
The fastestratified Wi-Fi standard there is
Easy push button connection to pair wireless devices
Dual Band capacity for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz
Compatible with ADSL, VDSL and NBN
Access to the Telstra Air network
Well worth the money

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Luke G

Luke GGeelong

Router that works

We have this router at home and there is no issues. I install a lot of CCTV and alarm systems and have them connected to these routers and they work fantastic. The wifi part of these works great too. The 5G can be a bit ordinary at times tho .

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Amun

AmunMelbourne

Unreliable, not user friendly

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Janine

JaninePerth

User Friendly

This Gateway was a replacement for a faulty modem I purchased a couple of years earlier which had a dud port and issues from the beginning, but as I was FIFO each time I was home and remember to call I'd wait on hold then line would be tested whilst on phone and offered tech visits never lined up with someone being at home. So after that saga this modem appears to be a good one. No recognisable modem issues I can tell, have had a couple of internet dropouts but I'm thinking (hoping) that's the lines and not the modem.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Dooli

DooliCanberra

Seems Reliable

Was sent this as a replacement for Telstra's earlier modem which failed.
Seems to be reliable and the indicator lights are easy to see. You can tell at a glance if you are having NBN issues.
I have FTTP and get good speed out of it, excellent for Netflix and Stan and good general internet download and upload speed.
Not the best range and walls tend to kill WiFi connections.
I have two Netgear range extenders and connecting them to the modem is a nightmare. The only method that worked for me was to connect each range extender to a laptop via CAT5 and configure them manually.
Once set up though, all is reliable.

Rob

RobAU

The most expensive and worst modem ever

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

steve

steve

It work's

Nice product,we are now with the NBN Telstra,the modem is a great product,we have not had a single problem with it,Easy to set up,the speed is really good,we watch a lot of netflix and stream heap's of movies,we never watch the add tv anymore to many adds,but i can recommend this product to anyone,plug in and enjoy.

Kim M

Kim MRobina

Works Great

The Internet speed is always great and it never disconnects or requires us to restart it. We have multiple devices hooked up to it and working at once and it never slows the speed down. We keep it downstairs and it reaches throughout the house and on multiple floors just fine. Only positive experiences with this device.

Matt

MattBallarat

Good with NBN

When we moved we were able to switch to the NBN with Telstra. We stream video and have multiple devices using the Gateway Max 2 and it has performed really well. The only problem we've had with it is that it only has two ethernet ports, other than that it's good.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Elizabeth

ElizabethMelbourne

Works well. Reliable performance.

We received this as a replacement for our old Testra Gateway router, which stopped working while it was within the 2 years warranty period. We have been using it for 4 months by now. It works well, very reliable performance. No issues at all. So far we are very happy with it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017